Poverty Pole

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Who has the shittiest ride of them all?

2010 TSX with 115k miles
22%
2006 E350 with 103k miles
No votes
2018 Elantra
44%
2001 S4 BEATR
22%
Irish gti
11%
Write in 6
No votes

Total votes: 9
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm

All boomers are thieves?
Yes.
College for $200 a year,
Pensions were a thing for most,
SS fully funded till you croak with early retirement ages
Multiple wars that were offloaded on later generations
Destroyed planet
Free/subsidized healthcare
30k homes worth 2MIL
Ability to raise 3 kids + own a house/2 cars while "wife" at home
Oh and they are all sitting in politics :hubba:
Love it. Response exceeded expectations.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:20 pm

All boomers are thieves?
Yes.
College for $200 a year,
Destroyed planet
30k homes worth 2MIL
:popcorn: :lolol:

FWIW I'm smack in the middle of :millennial: and I can't think of anyone I know who got a subsidized house.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I don't know anyone who owns a home now and didn't get significant help. Some combo of help paying for college, paying for houses, paying for other life stuff (cars, childcare, etc.) or at the very least cosigning for loans, getting jobs at family businesses, that kind of thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:33 pm I don't know anyone who owns a home now and didn't get significant help. Some combo of help paying for college, paying for houses, paying for other life stuff (cars, childcare, etc.) or at the very least cosigning for loans, getting jobs at family businesses, that kind of thing.
:word: I will concede that myself and most others I know in my age group had at least some level of help with education/college but that's about it. It certainly makes a huge difference, hence the rich staying rich, most black/brown people not owning houses, etc.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I do know a few people who have had zero or close to zero family help - and they're eternal renters, payment shoppers, and YOLO vacationers. In a way they're a lot more "free" than we are, nothing to lose and no real hope of getting ahead so just live in the moment.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:14 pm

Yes.
College for $200 a year,
Destroyed planet
30k homes worth 2MIL
:popcorn: :lolol:

FWIW I'm smack in the middle of :millennial: and I can't think of anyone I know who got a subsidized house.
I only know one person. She was a trust fund baby from a Jewish (I know) family with loads of money. Her grandfather set up a trust for her when she was born and she gained access to it when we graduated from college, then she used a portion of it for a 20% down payment for her house that she bought two years out of school. Otherwise? We all started off worse than our parents, between housing costs and student loans and such.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I am a child subsidizer, but after paying for my kid's education, I have no intention of continuing the gravy train with house down payments and the like. Figure it out yo!
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I mean college today costs more than most home down payments. Hell 15 years ago I was up to pretty much $100k in loans.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also guize, anyone who is bitching about a house down payment after accepting a 70-80K wedding payout from dad (because irreplaceable moment) when in fact, you were offered cash and a cheap wedding as an alternative, you cannot be serious.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:02 pm I mean college today costs more than most home down payments. Hell 15 years ago I was up to pretty much $100k in loans.
I would consider a substitution if you wanted to save me a bunch of money learning how to be a plumber or HVAC person.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:04 pm Also guize, anyone who is bitching about a house down payment after accepting a 70-80K wedding payout from dad (because irreplaceable moment) when in fact, you were offered cash and a cheap wedding as an alternative, you cannot be serious.
Dunno this story, but it doesn't sound surprising. I feel like most people I know under ~50 are total YOLO'ers.

I wanted to elope ZFG, got shot down.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:04 pm Also guize, anyone who is bitching about a house down payment after accepting a 70-80K wedding payout from dad (because irreplaceable moment) when in fact, you were offered cash and a cheap wedding as an alternative, you cannot be serious.
Dunno this story, but it doesn't sound surprising. I feel like most people I know under ~50 are total YOLO'ers.

I wanted to elope ZFG, got shot down.
My lack of sentimentality is mostly a flaw. Both of my nieces are getting married in the midwest this summer. Both under age 24. Apparently my sister and brother in law have made marriage seem like an attractive instituion, which is certainly better than I did for my kid. My natural reaction upon looking at flights (wedding is the same weekend as the College World Series in Omaha) and hotel, and car, and and and and...............and simply write my niece a check for 5 grand. But I'm not going to because my sister and mother would look at me like the bastard that I am.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Got married in a back yard. Gave no fucks. I'd rather spend that money on not working for another 2 years.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I was actually being sentimental with the desire to elope. That could have been the trip of a lifetime for a fraction of the cost of one stressful "party" which was really an exhibition for everyone else and not that enjoyable for me.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:48 pm
Got married in a back yard. Gave no fucks. I'd rather spend that money on not working for another 2 years.
And yet here you are, still married and no worse for the wear.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:52 pm I was actually being sentimental with the desire to elope. That could have been the trip of a lifetime for a fraction of the cost of one stressful "party" which was really an exhibition for everyone else and not that enjoyable for me.
Fair enough.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

We passed on the big wedding due to the situation with my mom’s health, so her parents subsidized our down payment on the house to help us out with that instead. 5/7 would recommend.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Theory turns into reality...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:00 pm I am a child subsidizer, but after paying for my kid's education, I have no intention of continuing the gravy train with house down payments and the like. Figure it out yo!
Subsidizing an actual child makes sense, it’s when 25 year olds and even older are being subsidized that it gets quite :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I wanted to elope as well and my wife acted like she was open to it until the rubber met the road.. we did actually get money for that, $10k from her dad and $5k from my parents, we kicked in about 10k as well. It was mega stressful but also special and memorable, the only time in life you have so many people close to you in one place. Still, backyard is the way to go.
SAWCE

Now I’m all sentimental thinking about our backyard wedding. Still wild how it all worked out and the timing between it and mom passing away. Glad we were able to pull it off for her.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:04 pm Now I’m all sentimental thinking about our backyard wedding. Still wild how it all worked out and the timing between it and mom passing away. Glad we were able to pull it off for her.
You did it right, for sure.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:00 pm I am a child subsidizer, but after paying for my kid's education, I have no intention of continuing the gravy train with house down payments and the like. Figure it out yo!
Dude nothing wrong with that. If parents are in the position to be able to do that, it's fantastic. Starting off an adult life with tens of thousands in student loans is brutal.

With three it's going to be tough, but we're going to try. Our oldest isn't even five yet, but between the three 529 plans we have about 1.5 years of in-state total cost of attendance saved. 1.5 out of 12. :cry: But it's something. Hopefully we'll be able to pay for most of our kids' college expenses so they don't end up burdened with loans as young adults and we don't end up with parent plus loans. Fuuuuuck that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:34 am
Dude nothing wrong with that. If parents are in the position to be able to do that, it's fantastic. Starting off an adult life with tens of thousands in student loans is brutal.

With three it's going to be tough, but we're going to try. Our oldest isn't even five yet, but between the three 529 plans we have about 1.5 years of in-state total cost of attendance saved. 1.5 out of 12. :cry: But it's something. Hopefully we'll be able to pay for most of our kids' college expenses so they don't end up burdened with loans as young adults and we don't end up with parent plus loans. Fuuuuuck that.
I'm willing and hopefully able to cover the first wave of education costs, be it community college or some university degree. Anything above and beyond will likely be student loans. It's a family values thing that I consider part of parenting costs that I signed up for. I don't look at it as a negative. My education is a lowly college degree that cost under $10k/yr x 3 yrs, parents helped with it, and I plan to help my parents along if they need financial support in their older age.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:34 am

:fuckyeah: