Poverty Pole

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Who has the shittiest ride of them all?

2010 TSX with 115k miles
22%
2006 E350 with 103k miles
No votes
2018 Elantra
44%
2001 S4 BEATR
22%
Irish gti
11%
Write in 6
No votes

Total votes: 9
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Honestly don't overlook the Mazda CX-3 either. It's really not a SUV
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:15 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 am So recently I drove the :tits: Fiesta for the second time. The shuddering I said earlier was apparently been doing it since she got it brand new. She's either smooth or feels like it wheelhops (happens more often on stop and go traffic). Other than that, the car drives fine, no alignment issues, tracks straight, CEL is somehow gone for some reason. She's looking to trade in in a year to another small car (which what she's used to), she wants a fiat 500 or a Mini pooper (which would be dope ngl). She's also fun in tight parking garages
:hue: :dock: :megusta:

F gen Mini, even the 3 cyl, would be :neat:

I sort of love the 500 but they're sort of crap cars realistically. :iono: I would probably go for a Corolla XSE hatch, Honda Shit, Hyundai Veloster for a small hatchback with less maintenance.

:notsure: 500/MINI are worth it if you're not going for one of the performance variants.
3 Cyl mini is still a decent amount of fun. I had a few as a rental... they also ride FAR better than mine. The interior quality in a MINI is worlds better over a Toyota/FCA product. However some of the newer hondas are quite decent.

My main worry would be $2000 maintenance "surprises" since a mini essentially receives BMW parts and costs yet most cross shop them with a yaris as indicated here
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:48 pm Honestly don't overlook the Mazda CX-3 either. It's really not a SUV
That plastic cladding :doe: very :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:51 pm

I sort of love the 500 but they're sort of crap cars realistically. :iono: I would probably go for a Corolla XSE hatch, Honda Shit, Hyundai Veloster for a small hatchback with less maintenance.

:notsure: 500/MINI are worth it if you're not going for one of the performance variants.
3 Cyl mini is still a decent amount of fun. I had a few as a rental... they also ride FAR better than mine. The interior quality in a MINI is worlds better over a Toyota/FCA product. However some of the newer hondas are quite decent.

My main worry would be $2000 maintenance "surprises" since a mini essentially receives BMW parts and costs yet most cross shop them with a yaris as indicated here
I'd like to try one, haven't seen any MINIs on the 'Emerald Isle' this year. NA R56 is certainly still quite a bit of fun.

I think having a luxury brand in the small car segment is sadly tough in this country. People buying cars in that range likely don't do maintenance too much, which makes the problems you pointed out even worse.
max225

3 Cylinder Mini= Similar performance to like a 328i IMO. Outside of "launch" where the minis FWD causes the major "on paper" shortfalls. But handling on a mini is :muah:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:11 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:51 pm

I'd like to try one, haven't seen any MINIs on the 'Emerald Isle' this year. NA R56 is certainly still quite a bit of fun.

I think having a luxury brand in the small car segment is sadly tough in this country. People buying cars in that range likely don't do maintenance too much, which makes the problems you pointed out even worse.
I've never seen them and I've been accessing presidents circle and executive isle for 5+ years.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:11 pm

I've never seen them and I've been accessing presidents circle and executive isle for 5+ years.
Yea I have seen them at the mini dealer for when my car needed shit done.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:48 pm Honestly don't overlook the Mazda CX-3 either. It's really not a SUV
Kia soul was also advertised as an suv :dafuq: I guess going to Moab with it isn't a bad idea :iono:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 am So recently I drove the :tits: Fiesta for the second time. The shuddering I said earlier was apparently been doing it since she got it brand new. She's either smooth or feels like it wheelhops (happens more often on stop and go traffic). Other than that, the car drives fine, no alignment issues, tracks straight, CEL is somehow gone for some reason. She's looking to trade in in a year to another small car (which what she's used to), she wants a fiat 500 or a Mini pooper (which would be dope ngl). She's also fun in tight parking garages

Like car like owner. I thought about veloster for her too, but you already know how girls are
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Update on the :tits: fiesta. It turns out to be a more of a shitbox. Her alternator is shot, along with compressor belt, plus ac was not blowing cold. She wants to off this thing. It also overheated in traffic today. The dual clutch for ford aka the one ford lost in law suit, is well, a shitty transmission. She decided to off the car so we're going to appraise it this weekend. We are moving in together and she will be really close to her work and her barre studio, and as you know I give her the passenger princess treatment whenever we go somewhere.

2012 Fiesta, with almost 150k miles, CEL on and off for o2 censor and a bunch of :bs:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:01 pm Update on the :tits: fiesta. It turns out to be a more of a shitbox. Her alternator is shot, along with compressor belt, plus ac was not blowing cold. She wants to off this thing. It also overheated in traffic today. The dual clutch for ford aka the one ford lost in law suit, is well, a shitty transmission. She decided to off the car so we're going to appraise it this weekend. We are moving in together and she will be really close to her work and her barre studio, and as you know I give her the passenger princess treatment whenever we go somewhere.

2012 Fiesta, with almost 150k miles, CEL on and off for o2 censor and a bunch of :bs:
yikes dont expect 4 digits
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:01 pm Update on the :tits: fiesta. It turns out to be a more of a shitbox. Her alternator is shot, along with compressor belt, plus ac was not blowing cold. She wants to off this thing. It also overheated in traffic today. The dual clutch for ford aka the one ford lost in law suit, is well, a shitty transmission. She decided to off the car so we're going to appraise it this weekend. We are moving in together and she will be really close to her work and her barre studio, and as you know I give her the passenger princess treatment whenever we go somewhere.

What does “appraised “ mean? I’d guess about $2500
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

A local buddy of mine had a similar era Fiesta with a five speed and got like $4500 for it from Carvana last year... that ship may have sailed, but it's worth a shot.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

2013 Odyssey with 141k. :zing:
max225

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:33 pm 2013 Odyssey with 141k. :zing:
Back of the line rich bitch. Worth 2x of the tsx
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I mean it’s the cheapest model of a cheap brand. At 150k and 11 years, most of these little commuter cars are nearing end of life.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My buddy got $700CAD for an 8 yr old Cruze with similar laundry list of issues. That car will go to the dump next
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

160k for entry level :tits: car is :notbad: :doe:

Get some :dillerman: trade out of it or keep fixing it (alternator is NBD)
max225

Tar wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:29 am My buddy got $700CAD for an 8 yr old Cruze with similar laundry list of issues. That car will go to the dump next
That seems like a terrible proposition !? Why light money on fire ?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:05 am
Tar wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:29 am My buddy got $700CAD for an 8 yr old Cruze with similar laundry list of issues. That car will go to the dump next
So his had an ongoing cooling issue and after a few overheating instances there loomed the threat of a warped head/cracked block and a guaranteed head gasket replacement onthe horizon... a $3k quote with no guarantee that the car would even run well after the gasket replacement. A used car dealer took it in as a trade for a used Elantra.

The whole thing was based on bad financial conditions that ultimately forced OP's hand. Used $12k car bought with some used car dealership loan, this is how most people live nowadays.
max225

Tar wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:23 am
max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:05 am

So his had an ongoing cooling issue and after a few overheating instances there loomed the threat of a warped head/cracked block and a guaranteed head gasket replacement onthe horizon... a $3k quote with no guarantee that the car would even run well after the gasket replacement. A used car dealer took it in as a trade for a used Elantra.

The whole thing was based on bad financial conditions that ultimately forced OP's hand. Used $12k car bought with some used car dealership loan, this is how most people live nowadays.
I mean if he has enough social IQ. He could have enlisted you for some advice on a matter where he is clearly inept. Sucks that he didn’t.

There are many many cars even todays “market” that cost nearly nothing to run in the 4 figure range. And they are certainly not made by Koreans or most domestics
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:33 am

I mean if he has enough social IQ. He could have enlisted you for some advice on a matter where he is clearly inept. Sucks that he didn’t.

There are many many cars even todays “market” that cost nearly nothing to run in the 4 figure range. And they are certainly not made by Koreans or most domestics
I tried, found him a Cucktrek for $2k more but his budget was tight. This is why people are poor in the first place, IQ = $

He's a good dude, so we see eye to eye in other ways. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

At first, I thought you meant for the person who bought it, you can’t really go wrong with any car for 700 fake dollars.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:27 pm

At first, I thought you meant for the person who bought it, you can’t really go wrong with any car for 700 fake dollars.
I think you really can … especially if and when it leaves you stranded and you’re stuck with repair and tow bills etc … 3 figure vehicles are a losing proposition
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:27 pm

I think you really can … especially if and when it leaves you stranded and you’re stuck with repair and tow bills etc … 3 figure vehicles are a losing proposition
If you get 90 days out of it then scrap for $200… that is some affordable motoring.

Obviously not a fun way to live, but poors gonna poor. You gotta do what you gotta do.