2022 :plac: life !

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That’s exactly what the taco key looks like
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm I'm fine with push button start as long as I don't have to put the key in the ignition, turn the car on, then find a button to start it.
You're missing the part where it is like launching an ICBM.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:31 pm That’s exactly what the taco key looks like
I thought it worked well. Better than the VW flip key that always found a way to open in my pocket. I do like keyless entry and ignition though.

Push button shifters can eat it, tho
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:40 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:03 pm I'm fine with push button start as long as I don't have to put the key in the ignition, turn the car on, then find a button to start it.
You're missing the part where it is like launching an ICBM.
Isn't that the job of the right pedal :mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:56 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:31 pm That’s exactly what the taco key looks like
I thought it worked well. Better than the VW flip key that always found a way to open in my pocket. I do like keyless entry and ignition though.

People are :mindblown: to see the mechanical automatic shifter in the 4R still. It works, that's all I care about. Buttons and electronic joysticks and whatnot are just reinventing something for the sake of reinvention. It's a worthless change.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:44 am

People are :mindblown: to see the mechanical automatic shifter in the 4R still. It works, that's all I care about. Buttons and electronic joysticks and whatnot are just reinventing something for the sake of reinvention. It's a worthless change.
They don’t always register. My car, because the computers in it are running on a processor with the power of a Nokia brick phone, take about 5 seconds to register anything. So you push the button before it’s all started up and it doesn’t actually do anything, it’s very disorienting.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:58 am
They don’t always register. My car, because the computers in it are running on a processor with the power of a Nokia brick phone, take about 5 seconds to register anything. So you push the button before it’s all started up and it doesn’t actually do anything, it’s very disorienting.
Oh wow, :|

I remember being able to confuse my Ram and JT with shifting too quickly just like this. Not 5 seconds bad, but it sure took time. I didn't really notice it until I got the 4R and can start it and do a burn-out in the same motion.

Lately, I'm finding immense comfort in having an ancient vehicle that DGAF about computers to go. Sometimes the infotainment takes so long to load, that I'm out of my driveway before I can do anything on the center screen. :aintcare: since the vehicle is driving. I cringe to think about long term reliability/serviceability of new vehicles with all these damned computers. Computer controlled automatic transmission shifter is just :butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

We rented a Mini Countryman in Maine and :tits: was extremely :disgust: with the shifter in that thing (it did suck). My Cucktrek now in FL just has a regular one and it's refreshing.

All-in-all I like the Cucktrek quite a bit more than the Countryman which is surprising :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:37 am
We rented a Mini Countryman in Maine and :tits: was extremely :disgust: with the shifter in that thing (it did suck). My Cucktrek now in FL just has a regular one and it's refreshing.

All-in-all I like the Cucktrek quite a bit more than the Countryman which is surprising :lolol:
I test drove both back to back and ended up with a Cucktrek. Pricing was equal, but the Cucktrek was far more usable and approachable. Tons of storage (Countryman had none), easy to use interior controls (Countryman was all weird), and if you get a 2.4 Cucktrek, the performance is nearly equal. The only thing I preferred about the Countryman was the :manuel: and the fact that it felt like a hot hatch more than a crossover. But the Cucktrek Sport was fun too and ultimately the perfect blend of everything.

I find myself frequently missing the Cucktrek. It's wild, that stupid little vehicle was really pretty awesome. If they threw a :manuel: behind the 2.4, that would be my next vehicle no doubt. I don't even care if it's Turbro or not, I just don't love the CVT (though even that is surprisingly decent).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:37 am

I test drove both back to back and ended up with a Cucktrek. Pricing was equal, but the Cucktrek was far more usable and approachable. Tons of storage (Countryman had none), easy to use interior controls (Countryman was all weird), and if you get a 2.4 Cucktrek, the performance is nearly equal. The only thing I preferred about the Countryman was the :manuel: and the fact that it felt like a hot hatch more than a crossover. But the Cucktrek Sport was fun too and ultimately the perfect blend of everything.

I find myself frequently missing the Cucktrek. It's wild, that stupid little vehicle was really pretty awesome. If they threw a :manuel: behind the 2.4, that would be my next vehicle no doubt. I don't even care if it's Turbro or not, I just don't love the CVT (though even that is surprisingly decent).
A manual would push me over the edge to preferring either... but man, the interior on the Mini just sucks from a control perspective. Everything was way harder than it needed to be, we drove 700+ miles in the thing and never got used to it, and I even own a BMW with iDrive. It also didn't have CarPlay :wtf:

I think from a 'fun to drive' point of view they're about the same. The Cucktrek 2.0 with CVT is actually a lot quicker 0-10 than the 3 cyl (I assume that's what it had as it was slow) Cuntryman, and in these vehicles 0-10 is the most critical performance, IMO. The Mini was a major slouch off the line, the CVT in the Subie really gears down to start. The Subie also has more room inside but feels more like a car to me than the Countryman. I really don't hate the Subaru CVT, best I've used. I don't love it, but it does its job well.

The Subaru radar cruise is also excellent. I've driven Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, maybe more radar cruises this year and this has been the first that I would say is an upgrade from regular cruise in any way, most are way worse. It brakes far less aggressively, shows you when the brake lights are on which is very cool, keeps things smooth and drives like a person in a good way.

:iono: I liked the Countryman a bit, it handled decent, looks cool, it's comfy (the Cucktrek 'sport' seats suck). All in all though I prefer the Subie and really like it more than I should. I don't want one but would rent one again over a lot of things. In the past three weeks I've had a Rav4 as well, to me it's Cucktrek > Countryman >> Rav4.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:02 am

A manual would push me over the edge to preferring either... but man, the interior on the Mini just sucks from a control perspective. Everything was way harder than it needed to be, we drove 700+ miles in the thing and never got used to it, and I even own a BMW with iDrive. It also didn't have CarPlay :wtf:

I think from a 'fun to drive' point of view they're about the same. The Cucktrek 2.0 with CVT is actually a lot quicker 0-10 than the 3 cyl (I assume that's what it had as it was slow) Cuntryman, and in these vehicles 0-10 is the most critical performance, IMO. The Mini was a major slouch off the line, the CVT in the Subie really gears down to start. The Subie also has more room inside but feels more like a car to me than the Countryman. I really don't hate the Subaru CVT, best I've used. I don't love it, but it does its job well.

The Subaru radar cruise is also excellent. I've driven Kia, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, maybe more radar cruises this year and this has been the first that I would say is an upgrade from regular cruise in any way, most are way worse. It brakes far less aggressively, shows you when the brake lights are on which is very cool, keeps things smooth and drives like a person in a good way.

:iono: I liked the Countryman a bit, it handled decent, looks cool, it's comfy (the Cucktrek 'sport' seats suck). All in all though I prefer the Subie and really like it more than I should. I don't want one but would rent one again over a lot of things. In the past three weeks I've had a Rav4 as well, to me it's Cucktrek > Countryman >> Rav4.
What was weird about the countryman interior ? And what was the spec/year of that one?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am

What was weird about the countryman interior ? And what was the spec/year of that one?
It was a 2022 'just a Countryman'... seemed pretty basic level.

Interior:
-no CarPlay :wtf:
-Shifter stupidly counterintuitive to use for no reason
-iDrive dial was backwards compared to my BMW and compared to the screen (turn it down and the numbers/selections go up)
-no paddle shifters

I guess I should say the interfaces were dumb, the interior itself was nice as far as quality/materials IMO.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:19 am
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:07 am

Interior:
-iDrive dial was backwards compared to my BMW and compared to the screen (turn it down and the numbers/selections go up)
-no paddle shifters

I guess I should say the interfaces were dumb, the interior itself was nice as far as quality/materials IMO.
So it had the bmw standard up for reverse down for drive and tap the top for park ? Mine was the “normal” shifter but bmw decided to fuck with it. But once you get “used to it” it’s kind of second nature. Until you get into a normal car again.

They did that update sometime in 2018 In my recollection. The backwards I drive is spot on though. No idea why they decided to that.

Mini has been hit with parts shortages also so they were for ex exlcuding the Hk sound.

Currently there is no “Base” countryman available to be built but man that 1.5er is a pretty small engine for the car. I would say that the 2T is the minimum for it and even then it’s “only” 189 hp, which is downright shockingly low considering that’s been the number since 2014… 9 model years ago
Last edited by max225 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh yea, Subaru Eyesight is phenomenal. I used it pretty much all the time I drove it, and between lane keep assist and adaptive cruise down to a stop, it drove itself, and it did it surprisingly well. It braked and accelerated incredibly naturally, and even lane keep was very gentle and natural feeling.

I haven't driven a 2.0 Cucktrek, but the 2.4 felt legit quick 0-40ish. I really did enjoy the performance overall. Not exciting, but it's not boring either. Just entertaining enough.
Johnny_P

I agree the Subaru CVT isn’t exactly inspiring but far from annoying.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:58 am

I remember being able to confuse my Ram and JT with shifting too quickly just like this. Not 5 seconds bad, but it sure took time. I didn't really notice it until I got the 4R and can start it and do a burn-out in the same motion.

Lately, I'm finding immense comfort in having an ancient vehicle that DGAF about computers to go. Sometimes the infotainment takes so long to load, that I'm out of my driveway before I can do anything on the center screen. :aintcare: since the vehicle is driving. I cringe to think about long term reliability/serviceability of new vehicles with all these damned computers. Computer controlled automatic transmission shifter is just :butwhy:
To be fair, my car is basically an EV that tows a generator around. A manual linkage would just be pushing buttons as well because the motor is electronically controlled.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 am

To be fair, my car is basically an EV that tows a generator around. A manual linkage would just be pushing buttons as well because the motor is electronically controlled.
Yea, good point. There's a lot of system coordination required just to get your vehicle going.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:30 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:19 am

Interior:
-no paddle shifters

So it had the bmw standard up for reverse down for drive and tap the top for park ? Mine was the “normal” shifter but bmw decided to fuck with it. But once you get “used to it” it’s kind of second nature. Until you get into a normal car again.

They did that update sometime in 2018 In my recollection. The backwards I drive is spot on though. No idea why they decided to that.

Mini has been hit with parts shortages also so they were for ex exlcuding the Hk sound.

Currently there is no “Base” countryman available to be built but man that 1.5er is a pretty small engine for the car. I would say that the 2T is the minimum for it and even then it’s “only” 189 hp, which is downright shockingly low considering that’s been the number since 2014… 9 model years ago
Yes, that's the shifter. I got used to it by the end but it was very :butwhy: to me... the first couple of times it just wasted 30 seconds of my life unnecessarily.

And indeed it was slow as :balls: The stereo sounded pretty good though, cna't recall if it was HK. The Cucktrek stereo is branded something, I think HK as well actually, and sounds awful.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:23 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:30 am

Yes, that's the shifter. I got used to it by the end but it was very :butwhy: to me... the first couple of times it just wasted 30 seconds of my life unnecessarily.

And indeed it was slow as :balls: The stereo sounded pretty good though, cna't recall if it was HK. The Cucktrek stereo is branded something, I think HK as well actually, and sounds awful.
I wonder if the Mazda 3 still tanks in value used. A natty engine one of those might work as a train station car. They have a decent Blowse system.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:53 pm

I wonder if the Mazda 3 still tanks in value used. A natty engine one of those might work as a train station car. They have a decent Blowse system.
Mazderp was always the worst of the Land of the rising sun brands.... as far as resale value.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've thought of these as well if I ever do the three car beater route. They were always cheap used, very fuel efficient, and rather not depressing compared to some other cheapo vehicles.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

And ventilated seats option
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

86 officially gone.

Frontier averaged 23.2 on the drive home.

Rides great and much smoother than the TRDOR Taco. 9speed shifts smoothly and feels good.
Seats are borderline great, although the lack of telescoping steering wheel is a bit of a bummer.

Sound system is the premium Fender audio and kicks pretty damn well.

Steering is hydraulic. Heavy.

Minimal road noise and the thing just feels solid. I’m impressed so far.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 am 86 officially gone.

Rides great and much smoother than the TRDOR Taco. 9speed shifts smoothly and feels good.
Seats are borderline great, although the lack of telescoping steering wheel is a bit of a bummer.

Wow. Nissan Love.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 am 86 officially gone.

You sold the 86? Got an offer you couldn’t refuse?