Grounded to the Ground - Vanilla Cammie Chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:53 am
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:48 am

I thought JD power is purely driven by :derp: s and $1 bills sent to their house to finish the survey
Someone must have a handle on car build quality, don't say Consumers Reports, they give my car a 90 out of 100 lol
IQS is customer responses, but it's intended to catch manufacturing defects that customers notice. "That customers notice" is the big caveat that many claim make the results worthless.

AFAIK, there's no independent entity professionally gauging build quality for all OEMs. IQS is probably the best measure out there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Nice updates. MPG is impressive. I’ve been very impressed by this gen Camry.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:43 pm Nice updates. MPG is impressive. I’ve been very impressed by this gen Camry.
Thanks JP, it'll be interesting to see how and when they change it. This really should be it's last year.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tar wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:01 am
I actually think it has more to do with build location than OEM. My 4R built in Japan is :impressive: flawless. I can't find any issues with it, even going through with a fine tooth comb. It's remarkable.

We had some friends up this past weekend who have a 2021 Subaru Impreza. They were complaining about how poorly it's built and that they just aren't very happy with it. Rattles from the glove box, exterior trim pieces mis-aligned, wind noise from the sunroof (that's sticking up like yours). Found it odd because our Cucktrek was the opposite, extremely well built overall and we liked it quite a bit with no issues. Super weird because they're the same vehicle essentially, right?

Impreza is built in Indiana (like the Camry) and the Cucktrek was built in Japan.

This sparked an interesting conversation. Our buddy works for a Japanese industrial company, and he said a few years ago he was invited to a plant in Japan to check out their operations. As he was walking through, he noticed a dude packing wheel bearings, and he was doing it with meticulous detail. He said the dude was in an impeccably white suit, standing on a mat over a perfectly clean work surface that looked like the guy was performing surgery on a human or something, just packing bearings. Then a year later, by chance, he was at a US facility producing similar equipment and he happened to notice that wheel bearing packing was being done by an overweight dude sitting on a worn-out chair, slamming bearings in a packing machine and out ZFG.

Stark contrast in attention to detail, we concluded that the Japanese likely have a much higher standard for work and attention to detail. Which compounds itself when building something as complex as a vehicle.

I have no doubt in my mind that your take is accurate, and I knew that going into this purchase. The Camry is a modern day Crown Vic.
Funny thing though, my TL was also build in Indiana I believe. Indiana, Kentucky? :whocares:

I want to think that the Canadian operations are pretty toite, but who knows. Japan is awesome for that, and Japanese people I deal with are almost always on point, respectful and care about their employer's well being.
I recently catched up with my old co-worker and she started working for a Japanese pharmaceutical company, I've heard nothing but great things about her new-ish job.

Also my TSX has been built in Japan as well, barely had any quality failure whatsoever for good 8 years when the car was in the household.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 pm Just getting FE shit out of the way... Attached is a visual representation of 12 gal = 450 miles on donkey pee-pee. I'm vwry happy with this aspect of the car.

Super glad to hear with everything going on with the car (feature wise a hair better than my honderp :jelly: ), with great mpgeez, happy for you. I also noticed the legroom pics, may if I ask how tall are you?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 am
Tar wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:30 pm Just getting FE shit out of the way... Attached is a visual representation of 12 gal = 450 miles on donkey pee-pee. I'm vwry happy with this aspect of the car.

Super glad to hear with everything going on with the car (feature wise a hair better than my honderp :jelly: ), with great mpgeez, happy for you. I also noticed the legroom pics, may if I ask how tall are you?
Yo, waz up Teo... Thanks man, the car is pretty well contented up for a lowly "SE", the hybrid has an upcharge for "SE UPGRADE" spec that isn't negotiable. It includes the larger screen, sunroof that they give zero fucks about mounting properly, heated wheel/mirrors, dual climate action, and KESSY. I would really want most of these features, so getting upcharged the $2k is okay with me.

The MPGeez are :tits: , I really want and need this right now, so I'm glad that I went that route instead of the standard 2.5 ICE motor.

I'm just a c-hair under six feet tall, and you're looking at me sitting behind myself in frontal sprawl. I think I could probably square up a bit, but it will never have the rear leg room of the Accord at 40.4 in, the Cammie is two inches shorter :jalepenis: at 38.0 in. It is a trade-off for client relations that I'm willing to accept.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:58 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:15 am

Yo, waz up Teo... Thanks man, the car is pretty well contented up for a lowly "SE", the hybrid has an upcharge for "SE UPGRADE" spec that isn't negotiable. It includes the larger screen, sunroof that they give zero fucks about mounting properly, heated wheel/mirrors, dual climate action, and KESSY. I would really want most of these features, so getting upcharged the $2k is okay with me.

The MPGeez are :tits: , I really want and need this right now, so I'm glad that I went that route instead of the standard 2.5 ICE motor.

I'm just a c-hair under six feet tall, and you're looking at me sitting behind myself in frontal sprawl. I think I could probably square up a bit, but it will never have the rear leg room of the Accord at 40.4 in, the Cammie is two inches shorter :jalepenis: at 38.0 in. It is a trade-off for client relations that I'm willing to accept.
Mashallah brother!

Its still a decent amount of room, its just mine is a wannabe 7 series
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:40 am
Tar wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:58 am

Mashallah brother!

Thanks brother, I'm blessed.

Jelly of that eear seat room, my children may never know the true bliss of unlimited legroom, may they heal and recover over time. The Accord really is a backseat brawler, and can hang with much bigger vehicles in that regard. You've got a nice car broseph!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:56 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:40 am

Mashallah brother!

Jelly of that eear seat room, my children may never know the true bliss of unlimited legroom, may they heal and recover over time. The Accord really is a backseat brawler, and can hang with much bigger vehicles in that regard. You've got a nice car broseph!
I remember a good friend of mine in high school's parents buying an Avalon so her brother could 'be comfortable' in the back seat :lolol:

I say, eff the kid's legroom. If they're safe, :whocares: They can buy their own cars one day if they crave cavernous amounts of room.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:57 am
Tar wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:56 am

I remember a good friend of mine in high school's parents buying an Avalon so her brother could 'be comfortable' in the back seat :lolol:

I say, eff the kid's legroom. If they're safe, :whocares: They can buy their own cars one day if they crave cavernous amounts of room.
Yeah, like any bigger then a Cammie is :butwhy: for kids. I've had adults sitting behind adults in that thing and everyone's comfortable with plenty of room to spare for one of the two. The Accord makes it cavernous in both front and back at the same time which is probably comparable to the older Avalon :iono:

My R was a good size TBH, it was just too bouncy and jiggly, made :tits: and the little :crotchfruit: nauseous :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:57 am

Yeah, like any bigger then a Cammie is :butwhy: for kids. I've had adults sitting behind adults in that thing and everyone's comfortable with plenty of room to spare for one of the two. The Accord makes it cavernous in both front and back at the same time which is probably comparable to the older Avalon :iono:

My R was a good size TBH, it was just too bouncy and jiggly, made :tits: and the little :crotchfruit: nauseous :lolol:
I've actually carried four people around in the 328i a few times recently, on one occasion even four 6'+ dudes and luggage to a mountain weekend, and it's surprisingly decent. I'm sure the Cammie is far better in the back.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:37 pm

I've actually carried four people around in the 328i a few times recently, on one occasion even four 6'+ dudes and luggage to a mountain weekend, and it's surprisingly decent. I'm sure the Cammie is far better in the back.
We took 4 people in the Cucktrek regularly. I expect anything larger would be perfectly fine.

Everyone "needs" a 3 row for this activity, which couldn't be further from the truth.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The F gen is actually great for 4 people. It is not small back there. Unlike an JCW/TSX which are almost unusable unless someone is 5'4" or shorter up front.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

An egg is pretty perfect too. I consider it the minimum one can go before things start getting a little silly. The trunk on a 328i is way more tolerable :doe: , the R was lulz small
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:43 pm

An egg is pretty perfect too. I consider it the minimum one can go before things start getting a little silly. The trunk on a 328i is way more tolerable :doe: , the R was lulz small
:dat: I don't really get the same :dedong: for a hatchback as most... the hatch isn't really usable unless the seats are folded. I enjoy the sedan shape. I do like hatches on sports coupes though, GR86 would be a lot more usable if the entire back lifted up.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:02 pm
Tar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:43 pm

:dat: I don't really get the same :dedong: for a hatchback as most... the hatch isn't really usable unless the seats are folded. I enjoy the sedan shape. I do like hatches on sports coupes though, GR86 would be a lot more usable if the entire back lifted up.
The only benefit that I may miss eventually is the small footprint. Parking etc was always :nice: , short wheelbase was pretty fun and sporty.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:12 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:02 pm

The only benefit that I may miss eventually is the small footprint. Parking etc was always :nice: , short wheelbase was pretty fun and sporty.
True, short wheelbase is fun. I’ve grown to enjoy tail happy fun in the longer wheelbase cuckwagon though.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is a good fucking car, Camry tuner community and all. I had another 42 mpg drive home today, 777 miles on the odo, and i should be through half of my third tank of gas in the R.... still have 1/3 of my second. By the time i empty this bitch out I'll be at two 12 gal tanks of donkey :piss: , vs three slightly larger tanks of Allah's nectar.

It is kinda/sorta broken in so I'm giving some beans when the lights go green/on the highway and it goes with enthusiasm. Short of it's mass produced quality quirks I haven't noticed any real issues. If anyone else is ready to give up on lyfe or car enthusiast candor then this is the car for you.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So we know that this car has a 2.5 L NA motor with electrically controlled V-Tec valve timing, but adding an electric motor in parallel does wonders for the otherwise uninspiring powertrain. It's like there's an added turbo boost in all the right placed to give the car a feeling of refined power delivery and virtually zero power dips or lag. It's kind of weird not seeing a tach go up and bounce with gear changes, that's not what this car does thanks to a CVT of some capacity. Nobody is rowing gears here at all, it's just like a driving dad's big ol' Caddy and hamming the throttle for some smooth but brow raising accel.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tar wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:11 pm This is a good fucking car, Camry tuner community and all. I had another 42 mpg drive home today, 777 miles on the odo, and i should be through half of my third tank of gas in the R.... still have 1/3 of my second. By the time i empty this bitch out I'll be at two 12 gal tanks of donkey :piss: , vs three slightly larger tanks of Allah's nectar.

It is kinda/sorta broken in so I'm giving some beans when the lights go green/on the highway and it goes with enthusiasm. Short of it's mass produced quality quirks I haven't noticed any real issues. If anyone else is ready to give up on lyfe or car enthusiast candor then this is the car for you.
:nice:
brain go brrrrrr
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mario, why didn't you tell me you came?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:41 pm Mario, why didn't you tell me you came?
:hai:

If i were coming your way, I'd schedule a :dock: sesh broseph! Those are the pre-2021 refresh wheels, so slightly older version. I like the updated a bit better.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:41 pm Mario, why didn't you tell me you came?
Hard parked Cammie and 'ccordie :doe: !
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:31 am
Also piloted by a :mahtroy: with his baby mama
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:52 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:31 am

Also piloted by a :mahtroy: with his baby mama
At least he’s staying with the kid.