Northern 4R Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:42 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 pm How was snow shoeing? I've done it and though it was absolutely exhausting but maybe my shoes weren't the best. Great pics and I was also interested in the metric of this largest waterfall deal...

:lolol:

Because this is just about an hour south of Rochester on the Genesee River. It's the middle falls in Letchworth and is almost 110' tall

And IN4 dirty snowy 4R pics
Snow shoeing is exhausting. Pretty wild to walk ON TOP of 4 feet of snow, but your legs need to be wider apart than normal and you have to lift your feet up a bit higher.

The DNR guide we had told us a story about a DNR tech who was surveying (counting) the wolf population in the park we were in. He was snowshoeing in the middle of the wilderness, and his shoe sunk in funny. He stepped to the side and noticed fur...he dug a bit and noticed the fur was moving, and he realized that it was bear fur. He managed to step on a hibernating bear, and RAN...which is not easy in snowshoes. We then all tried to run (walk briskly) in our snowshoes, and it was insanely difficult.

Fortunately, hibernating bears are chill AF and just sleep so the guy didn't have to run far. BUT they do wake up sometimes, so :yikes: was quite informative.
I think I'm gonna cancel snow shoeing ideas. Ain't no bear on the beach :wtf:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Dude, thanks for sharing the stories/pictures! The :doge: sledding, water fall, ice caves all look incredible. I will have to plan on making it up there some winter, maybe another Beep Beep road trip.

Glad the 4R is living up to the reputation and serving well.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:23 pm :disappoint: to not see photos of a T4R in the sneaux, but epic trip story. :megusta:
It would have been extremely NSFW for you, be glad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

So 4R started warning me for "oil maintenance" at 5k miles. Fine, I bring it into the dealer. Apparently the official service interval is 10k miles for oil, yet the truck tells you to bring it in at 5k. Nice.

Kinda crappy experience and the service dude was clearly sick of explaining this to customers. He told me they would just rotate the tires if I didn't want to pay for an oil change, but 10k for the first oil change just seems :fullretard: The service dude said I can pay for an oil change now then Toyota will cover the 10k one. At least Toyota will pay for the tire rotation at 5k, goodie.

Chatted with my sales dude who confirmed my suspicion that a GR Corolla won't be possible here for at least a year. I'm still top of the list, but he said demand has been nuts and other dealers are taking priority over our little one. He threw me on the list for a manual Supra and GR86 just for fun, but said they've never gotten any Supra and GR86s are all autos here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and my sales dude took me around back to show me his new army green Tacoma with bronze wheels, said my truck inspired him. Then showed me an AG Tundra with bronze wheels. He said I started a trend at the dealer :lolol:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:13 pm So 4R started warning me for "oil maintenance" at 5k miles. Fine, I bring it into the dealer. Apparently the official service interval is 10k miles for oil, yet the truck tells you to bring it in at 5k. Nice.

Kinda crappy experience and the service dude was clearly sick of explaining this to customers. He told me they would just rotate the tires if I didn't want to pay for an oil change, but 10k for the first oil change just seems :fullretard: The service dude said I can pay for an oil change now then Toyota will cover the 10k one. At least Toyota will pay for the tire rotation at 5k, goodie.

Chatted with my sales dude who confirmed my suspicion that a GR Corolla won't be possible here for at least a year. I'm still top of the list, but he said demand has been nuts and other dealers are taking priority over our little one. He threw me on the list for a manual Supra and GR86 just for fun, but said they've never gotten any Supra and GR86s are all autos here.
Hold on… is it oil maintenance or maintenance required. The first 5k is a tire roto through Toyota care. My Tacoma did the same thing, they don’t change the oil.
The services are every 5k for tire roto and 10k for oil.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:13 pm So 4R started warning me for "oil maintenance" at 5k miles. Fine, I bring it into the dealer. Apparently the official service interval is 10k miles for oil, yet the truck tells you to bring it in at 5k. Nice.

5K is a nice round number to change oil and rotate tires.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:39 pm

You should see the shit I started on the Tacoma forum by changing the first one “early” at 3k, the oil was fucked from break in. Subsequents are fine at 10k. I had it lab tested and all because :science:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:37 pm

Hold on… is it oil maintenance or maintenance required. The first 5k is a tire roto through Toyota care. My Tacoma did the same thing, they don’t change the oil.
The truck says "Oil Maintenance Required" at 5k. The service dude rolled his eyes and expressed frustration that the truck does it because it's not true. And yep, he explained that it's 10k for oil and 5k for tires.

10k on the new engine oil just seems really :notsure: to me. I probably wasted $80, but I feel better so :aintcare:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:39 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:37 pm
The truck says "Oil Maintenance Required" at 5k. The service dude rolled his eyes and expressed frustration that the truck does it because it's not true. And yep, he explained that it's 10k for oil and 5k for tires.

10k on the new engine oil just seems really :notsure: to me. I probably wasted $80, but I feel better so :aintcare:
According to Max you just saved your engine from a complete teardown.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, dafuq on the actual Toyota telling you 5K but the manual 10K. This seems like a discrepancy the world's largest automotive concern should not be having.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:39 pm

You should see the shit I started on the Tacoma forum by changing the first one “early” at 3k, the oil was fucked from break in. Subsequents are fine at 10k. I had it lab tested and all because :science:
I remember you had it lab tested and suggested an early first change. Which makes me feel a bit better about paying for the 5k change.

The service dude said most people that get service at the dealer pay for 5k mile changes (so pay every other). You think it's fine to go 10k after this one? I may go get the free 10k because I don't know if they'll cover 15k if I skip the 10. Then 10k after that. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:42 pm Also, dafuq on the actual Toyota telling you 5K but the manual 10K. This seems like a discrepancy the world's largest automotive concern should not be having.
Yea, no shit. It's a pretty crappy experience. When I called for the apt, the lady on the phone told me it was 10k miles, and I didn't need an oil change yet. I told her the truck was instructing me to get "oil maintenance" :wat: and she :yeahok: me. The service dude said the 4R isn't the only model that does it, and was quite frustrated by it.

My guess is when the vehicles were developed (the 4R is essentially 20 years old now), 5k was the recommended OCI. Toyota corp decided to cheap out and only pay for 10k services since then, and they updated the manual OCI without spending the money to update the vehicles.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:39 pm

According to Max you just saved your engine from a complete teardown.
I truly want this thing to go the long haul, so doing a bit more than required makes me feel better at least.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:42 pm

I remember you had it lab tested and suggested an early first change. Which makes me feel a bit better about paying for the 5k change.

The service dude said most people that get service at the dealer pay for 5k mile changes (so pay every other). You think it's fine to go 10k after this one? I may go get the free 10k because I don't know if they'll cover 15k if I skip the 10. Then 10k after that. :iono:
I would personally just get the free ones at each 10K interval from here on out. :iono: :doe: I'm not really one to get fired up about OCI.

I would've paid the $80 as well though, seems like you're making the right calls to me.

:notbad: on being a trendsetter :megusta:
max225

I would ask to do the 10k at 5k and then do it again at 15k. If that’s possible. They won’t let you “go over” and the 10k would be somewhat “wasted”. Subsequent 10k changes are absolutely fine based on labs. But traditionalists who want to take it to 500k miles will stick to 5k. Having personally
Taken a car to 430k miles I can attest to extended intervals. But the first one is key to do early imo
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:55 pm

I would ask to do the 10k at 5k and then do it again at 15k. If that’s possible. They won’t let you “go over” and the 10k would be somewhat “wasted”. Subsequent 10k changes are absolutely fine based on labs. But traditionalists who want to take it to 500k miles will stick to 5k. Having personally
Taken a car to 430k miles I can attest to extended intervals. But the first one is key to do early imo
Yea, the guy said Toyota bases paying for service on mileage. No option to use the 10k for the 5k. Whatever, I'll probably get the free 10k then go 10k from there on out to keep it easy.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:22 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:55 pm

Yea, the guy said Toyota bases paying for service on mileage. No option to use the 10k for the 5k. Whatever, I'll probably get the free 10k then go 10k from there on out to keep it easy.
So yea just do the 5k, and then 10k oil + tire then 15 tire + 20 oil + tire
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:31 pm
Exactly. Should be good.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:31 pm
Exactly. Should be good.
ChrisoftheNorth

Man, I have ignored this thread huh? I guess that's a good thing because the 4R just goes. I've had it for 10 months now, 8k miles, and it's been a 5/7 vehicle overall.

The biggest issue I've had with it is the audio system. Toyota should be embarrassed to put such a shit audio system in a $50k vehicle. Still they do, and here we are. Max hooked me up with a set of plug and play replacement dash tweeters from DS18. In what might have been the easiest mod ever, I swapped them in and wow...what an improvement. The highs are so much clearer/crisper, and there's zero harshness or distortion if cranked (which I rarely do). I dare say these fixed my beef with this system 90% To get the rest, I'd have to tear into the doors to replace the door speakers, add amps, subs, etc and that's just :nope: overall with where it is now. I've never had a simple speaker upgrade have so much impact, the factory speakers must be absolute trash.

Major shout out to Max for the DFD hookup. My first 4R mod is a success.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:38 pm Man, I have ignored this thread huh? I guess that's a good thing because the 4R just goes. I've had it for 10 months now, 8k miles, and it's been a 5/7 vehicle overall.

The biggest issue I've had with it is the audio system. Toyota should be embarrassed to put such a shit audio system in a $50k vehicle. Still they do, and here we are. Max hooked me up with a set of plug and play replacement dash tweeters from DS18. In what might have been the easiest mod ever, I swapped them in and wow...what an improvement. The highs are so much clearer/crisper, and there's zero harshness or distortion if cranked (which I rarely do). I dare say these fixed my beef with this system 90% To get the rest, I'd have to tear into the doors to replace the door speakers, add amps, subs, etc and that's just :nope: overall with where it is now. I've never had a simple speaker upgrade have so much impact, the factory speakers must be absolute trash.

:like: Glad the mod worked out. I am loving mine also.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:38 pm Man, I have ignored this thread huh? I guess that's a good thing because the 4R just goes. I've had it for 10 months now, 8k miles, and it's been a 5/7 vehicle overall.

It's 5/7 for sure. Thanks again!
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:56 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:32 pm

NP. Btw I am thinking about upgrading the door speakers to Kicker CS speakers. It's $107 and mostly plug and play also... Toyotas are super easy to work on so I figured why not.... the stock speakers are criminally bad.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:56 pm
NP. Btw I am thinking about upgrading the door speakers to Kicker CS speakers. It's $107 and mostly plug and play also... Toyotas are super easy to work on so I figured why not.... the stock speakers are criminally bad.
I dunno...tearing into door panels is a tough one for me to get excited about. I've never been able to remove a door panel without breaking SOMETHING, and the 4R is so well put together that I really don't want to mess with that. The stock mid/bass is pretty solid with the DS18 tweeters now. :notbad:

The biggest issue so far is SXM. We listen to a lot of it, and the new speakers really highlight how terrible the streaming quality is from SXM. The old shitty speakers didn't expose it, but the new ones...woa SXM sounds like streaming 10 years ago.