Northern 4R Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm So good news on the audio front. Drove Saturday to grab lunch, and spent some time playing with the audio settings. There's an "auto level correct" or some shit that I assume is based on speed? It was at the max setting, so I turned it down to low, and that actually solved quite a bit of the booming mid bass issue. I then played with levels more and found that turning mid to almost min and bass to neutral with treble almost all the way maxed that it sounds decently flat and listenable now. Probably passable enough for now.

Also shifted into 4WD for the first time, and almost thought it was broken because it shifts so quickly and effortlessly. In all my years of manual transfer cases, including the JL/T, they feel like pushing a stick through a box of rocks, and take a lot of effort. The 4R just clicks from 2Hi to 4Hi, almost like it's connected to nothing. Amazing. Such build quality.

The thing has hilarious acceleration in 4Hi with the tires in the snow. Absolutely invincible :megusta:
:fuckyeah:
I use similar settings in the Blue Meanie's un- :impressive: stereo; mid base, very low midrange, and generous treble. Guess that's the secret sauce for :scrooge: systems. :lol:
Must have cracked the code :notbad:

The :scrooge: system in the Cucktrek just wanted a tad bump in bass and treble, neutral mid. In hindsight, that thing was honestly rather decent for a :scrooge: system
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:48 pm And for the :lolol: I got a Carvana quote on the 4R...

That's about what I paid OTD for it without the wheels and tires. :notbad: but still not Cucktrek good.

Cucktrek still isn't on their website. Been 12 days I wonder if they wholesaled it instead?
Interesting wonder what happened with it. Also now you got the reasonable 10 day “decision” deadline
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:37 pm So good news on the audio front. Drove Saturday to grab lunch, and spent some time playing with the audio settings. There's an "auto level correct" or some shit that I assume is based on speed? It was at the max setting, so I turned it down to low, and that actually solved quite a bit of the booming mid bass issue. I then played with levels more and found that turning mid to almost min and bass to neutral with treble almost all the way maxed that it sounds decently flat and listenable now. Probably passable enough for now.

Also shifted into 4WD for the first time, and almost thought it was broken because it shifts so quickly and effortlessly. In all my years of manual transfer cases, including the JL/T, they feel like pushing a stick through a box of rocks, and take a lot of effort. The 4R just clicks from 2Hi to 4Hi, almost like it's connected to nothing. Amazing. Such build quality.

The thing has hilarious acceleration in 4Hi with the tires in the snow. Absolutely invincible :megusta:
I thought 'yotas had an electronically controlled t-case with a little dial on the dash? I guess that's just the Taco. The Beep Beep is definitely dragging a stick through rocks, I kind of like it :doe: Mechanical shifting is :neat:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:41 pm

I thought 'yotas had an electronically controlled t-case with a little dial on the dash? I guess that's just the Taco. The Beep Beep is definitely dragging a stick through rocks, I kind of like it :doe: Mechanical shifting is :neat:
Some 4R trims do, but the off-road and base versions are manual. I don't mind the manual engagement at all, just amazed by how easy it is compared to the Jeeps.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:48 pm And for the :lolol: I got a Carvana quote on the 4R...

That's about what I paid OTD for it without the wheels and tires. :notbad: but still not Cucktrek good.

Cucktrek still isn't on their website. Been 12 days I wonder if they wholesaled it instead?
Interesting wonder what happened with it. Also now you got the reasonable 10 day “decision” deadline
Something weird happened with the Cucktrek. It was a glitch, I'm pretty sure of it. Whatever, I got paid so :aintcare:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

finally entered the chat, that color combo is 5/7. Enjoy the rig!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Logged 800 miles in the 4R over the last 4 days. We took a trip to the Michigan Upper Peninsula to try dog sledding, snow shoe hiking, and exploring ice caves. Pics below (not of the truck, it's filthy), but this thread is for the adventures anyway.

First, the truck.

This was my first time driving it on the highway. I was really pleasantly surprised by the power and overall performance. It's surprisingly eager to downshift for a 5 speed auto, and the broad torque curve makes passing pretty easy. I also crested 1k miles and floored it for the first time, surprisingly :notbad: adequate. So incredibly adequate for the type of driving we do. Towing might not suck as much as I assumed, but TBD. I found the truck to be remarkably comfortable and a great road trip companion. Wind/road noise is definitely there, but nowhere near JL/JT levels. Fixed roof is the way to go for something like this IMO. The computer claimed it got 18.9 MPG for the entire trip. Most of the miles speed was around 70mph, with 4x4 on lower speeds and blasting through snow. Better than I expected, but I didn't hand calc it because :whocares:

But really, this trip was enabled 100% by the truck. What?

It's a beast.. It snows FEET at a time in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Most of the place is nothing. No stores. Barely any hotels. No civilization really. They barely plow the streets, so most people are cruising around in 4x4's. LOTS of Toyotas, and when I asked a local about that he said "we don't have a lot of money, so when we buy something, it needs to last a long fucking time. Toyota and Honda all the way". :impressive: This is not Trumplandia, in fact most people don't talk politics or vote. They like living in a remote location and just care about maintaining their way of life. Incredible tenacity to survive, it was quite humbling and motivating to be hanging with these folks.

We stayed in a hotel built in 1890 by the railroad and moved a mile in 1925 when the railroad shut down after a mine closed. It was the only place to stay and restaurant within 40 miles. The first night there, it snowed a foot. We needed to drive 45 minutes from the inn to the dog sled kennels. They arranged a bus for us, but it got stuck on the way, we so our guide asked what vehicles we had and if we could drive ourselves. I told him we had a 4R and his eyes lit up. Questions about trim, specs, etc...they're apparently legendary up there. Two couples in our group had FWD Murican crossovers, and our guide driving a Tacoma suggested they ride with him and us. The dude was head over heels for our 4R, and he wasn't the only one. We took a couple and turns out the guy has been looking for an army green 4R for months but can't find one. I told him how we found ours and he wouldn't stop asking questions. He even asked to buy ours, but I declined. Non-stop 4R talk, I think the wives got sick of :rolleyes:

It was hilarious how ZFG the truck was in deep snow. Like a foot deep wasn't even there. I followed the guide in his Tacoma, and he told me to try to knock down the route behind him to make it easier for folks in AWD vehicles behind us. No problem. Everyone got to the location without issue. The truck was truly in its element. 5/7

The adventure...

Dog sledding

The dogs are Alaskan Huskies. Not an AKC breed because they're only bread for size (small, 70 lbs max), energy, and longevity (they can live up to 17 years) rather than appearance. They all look different, but surprisingly small. Big dogs require big food according to the owners, so "real" sled dogs are smaller (40-60 lbs) but little workhorses. They LOVE cold weather and live outside 24/7. They've got barrels with straw inside to sleep in if needed. Quite amazing animals, we're in talks to take a retired one in the next few years possibly.

Me and my team:

We did a "short" 10 mile run through the trails. The dogs ran the entire time other than a 10 minute break 5 miles in where the picture of me was taken above. Amazing animals, amazing experience.

After, we drove 40 minutes in deep snow to get to Tahquamenon Falls State Park and snowshoed ON TOP of 4 feet of snow to get to the largest waterfall east of the Mississippi that isn't Niagra...

I've seen this in the summer, but not in the winter. We had a guide from the state Department of Natural Resources who took us through off trails to talk about wildlife, trees, and the falls. Apparently in some years, the ice build-up on the bottom can get tall enough to cover the falls, but water continues to flow underneath. It was 25 degrees, which was pretty warm relatively for the time of year and area. BTW, falls are brown/amber due to tanins from trees falling in the river and rotting. It's not dirty, it's actually extremely mineral rich.

The next day, we drove to check out Ice Caves. There's sandstone ledges that constantly leech ground water, and in the winter the ground water freezes and create caves...

Then we drove closer to lake Suprerior and found another water fall in Munising, MI:

Then we went to Lake Superior...

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:amazing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Amazing. Love it! And so cool that the trip basically wouldn't have been possible with the 4R or something like it. :like:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

This is great.

Also, I would love to see pics of the filthy truck. A filthy truck in that element is 100% acceptable.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:17 pm This is great.

Also, I would love to see pics of the filthy truck. A filthy truck in that element is 100% acceptable.
Also :dat:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Absofuckinglutely EPIC! :fuckyeah:

Interestingly, on our trip to upper Minnesota a few years ago, we also saw, north of Duluth, the "largest waterfall east of the Mississippi other than Niagara Falls", too. I imagine there are several waterfalls that the locals claim to be that. :yeahok: :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:18 pm

Also :dat:
Third'd.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Great pics and great trip ! 5/7
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:42 pm Absofuckinglutely EPIC! :fuckyeah:

Interestingly, on our trip to upper Minnesota a few years ago, we also saw, north of Duluth, the "largest waterfall east of the Mississippi other than Niagara Falls", too. I imagine there are several waterfalls that the locals claim to be that. :yeahok: :lolol:
:lolol:

This was a state natural resources employee telling us this, so :sass: :iono:

But there's also various measures of size...height and width. The Tahquamenon Falls aren't particularly tall, but quite wide. :iono: Cool none the less. I bet every state has a "largest waterfall easy of the Mississippi that isn't Niagra" :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

:ohdang: I didn't know and figured I'd save pages worth of "why is the truck so filthy" or "ZOMG there's an inch of ice/snow build up on the grille, you're lucky it didn't explode" comments.

Honestly, I didn't take many photos because I prefer to just take it all in with my eyes. By the time we got back to the truck, we were tired and :fuckyeah: and had to pull off ice cleats, snow pants, etc. Taking photos with gloves on is hard too.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:13 pm Amazing. Love it! And so cool that the trip basically wouldn't have been possible with the 4R or something like it. :like:
Yea, I didn't see that coming at all, but was pretty :fuckyeah: about it.

With our guide driving the Tacoma and me in the 4R behind him, the third car...an AWD :doge: Journey managed to make it without getting stuck. Dude clearly knew how to drive in the snow too, which helped.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:16 pm
wap wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:42 pm Absofuckinglutely EPIC! :fuckyeah:

But there's also various measures of size...height and width. The Tahquamenon Falls aren't particularly tall, but quite wide. :iono: Cool none the less. I bet every state has a "largest waterfall easy of the Mississippi that isn't Niagra" :lolol:
We read about ours on a sign in the state park that the waterfall was in. But you're right, who knows what metrics they use. Height, width, volume of water, etc. IIRC, the one we saw was taller than Niagara, so likely both were "larger" . :lol: But :whocares: . An awesome waterfall is an awesome waterfall.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

How was snow shoeing? I've done it and though it was absolutely exhausting but maybe my shoes weren't the best. Great pics and I was also interested in the metric of this largest waterfall deal...

Because this is just about an hour south of Rochester on the Genesee River. It's the middle falls in Letchworth and is almost 110' tall

And IN4 dirty snowy 4R pics
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:16 pm

We read about ours on a sign in the state park that the waterfall was in. But you're right, who knows what metrics they use. Height, width, volume of water, etc. IIRC, the one we saw was taller than Niagara, so likely both were "larger" . :lol: But :whocares: . An awesome waterfall is an awesome waterfall.
Right. It's not like a knockoff of the Sistine Chapel. It's all water, it's all falling.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 pm How was snow shoeing? I've done it and though it was absolutely exhausting but maybe my shoes weren't the best. Great pics and I was also interested in the metric of this largest waterfall deal...

Because this is just about an hour south of Rochester on the Genesee River. It's the middle falls in Letchworth and is almost 110' tall

Snow shoeing is exhausting. Pretty wild to walk ON TOP of 4 feet of snow, but your legs need to be wider apart than normal and you have to lift your feet up a bit higher.

The DNR guide we had told us a story about a DNR tech who was surveying (counting) the wolf population in the park we were in. He was snowshoeing in the middle of the wilderness, and his shoe sunk in funny. He stepped to the side and noticed fur...he dug a bit and noticed the fur was moving, and he realized that it was bear fur. He managed to step on a hibernating bear, and RAN...which is not easy in snowshoes. We then all tried to run (walk briskly) in our snowshoes, and it was insanely difficult.

Fortunately, hibernating bears are chill AF and just sleep so the guy didn't have to run far. BUT they do wake up sometimes, so :yikes: was quite informative.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:42 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 pm How was snow shoeing? I've done it and though it was absolutely exhausting but maybe my shoes weren't the best. Great pics and I was also interested in the metric of this largest waterfall deal...

Snow shoeing is exhausting. Pretty wild to walk ON TOP of 4 feet of snow, but your legs need to be wider apart than normal and you have to lift your feet up a bit higher.

The DNR guide we had told us a story about a DNR tech who was surveying (counting) the wolf population in the park we were in. He was snowshoeing in the middle of the wilderness, and his shoe sunk in funny. He stepped to the side and noticed fur...he dug a bit and noticed the fur was moving, and he realized that it was bear fur. He managed to step on a hibernating bear, and RAN...which is not easy in snowshoes. We then all tried to run (walk briskly) in our snowshoes, and it was insanely difficult.

Fortunately, hibernating bears are chill AF and just sleep so the guy didn't have to run far. BUT they do wake up sometimes, so :yikes: was quite informative.
This would be terrifying.
wap

HOLY FUCK! :yikes: :yikes:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:14 pm

That was our response, but the DNR rep was :aintcare:

She claimed they have 0 reported bear attacks on humans in the UP. They're smaller black bears and like to keep to themselves unless going through someone's trash or something. And even then, if they see a human, they usually bolt.

Our dog sled guide said the same. He said he's encountered plenty of bears when training in the woods, and the bears are apparently terrified of the sled dogs.

:themoreyouknow:
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:22 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:14 pm

That was our response, but the DNR rep was :aintcare:

She claimed they have 0 reported bear attacks on humans in the UP. They're smaller black bears and like to keep to themselves unless going through someone's trash or something. And even then, if they see a human, they usually bolt.

Our dog sled guide said the same. He said he's encountered plenty of bears when training in the woods, and the bears are apparently terrified of the sled dogs.

:themoreyouknow: