2022 Blazer - The Colorado replacement

Strut your greasy stuff!
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

So, not sure how many saw my post on the Plac thread, or even remember what I drove, but here we go:

Former: 2016 Chevy Colorado 4x4, crew cab on Brownstone Metallic.

Back in early October, my wife and I welcomed our 2nd son into the world, rather unexpectedly at the time. After 23 days in the NICU, we finally got to bring him home. We knew we would need to replace the Colorado in the next few years, but we didn’t see a need to rush given the current climate and that we have a 2019 Traverse as well that is the ‘family truckster’.

Wanting to get a head of the game though, I switched our older sons seat behind the driver and out the pumpkin seat base behind the passenger side so it was ready to go after the first of the year when they both have to go with me to daycare on my way to work. That lasted all of a day, as not even halfway to daycare, my son was starting to cry and get frustrated cause he couldn’t move, despite me having moved closer to the wheel in an attempt to give him room. I measured when I got home, and he only had 3 inches of legroom, I felt like I was humping the wheel and having to sit angled towards the A-pillar and drive with the outside of my foot. It was clear the Colorado wasn’t long for our household anymore.

Because of the car climate right now, what I really wanted wasn’t an option, which is a FS truck. Even used ones near me have gone UP in price, by the tune of an additional $3k, minimum, in the last 4 months. Enter looking for SUVs and talking with a couple of friends of ours that are dealers about what our options are that fit our needs. This is where the Blazer made its first impression before we even got to the numbers.

The initial one I got to test drive was a 21’ 3LT, V6, AWD in Summit White; we just weren’t ready to pull the trigger just then, and it sold about 2 hours after I drove it. Our dealer friend though looked up incoming inventory and they had 4 coming in by the end of November, in various trims with major discounts, and I put a deposit down on the first one he found so that at least one was guaranteed to be for us.

2022 Iron Gray, 2.0 Turbo 4cyl, FWD, 2LT. And honestly, after a couple weeks owning it, it’s exactly what we needed to do; though we miss the truck at its utility for shenanigans at a moments notice.

The good;

- The 2.0 gets great mileage
- The drive mode select makes sport mode the best mode to drive it in
- The steering is light and direct
- The suspension is a delight; it soaks up the bumps but is firmly planted when driving spiritedly
- Infotainment is stupid easy to use
- Tons of space in the hatch and second row for the kids and their stuff
- Seats are comfy, supportive and the cloth actually helps keep my from sliding around

The bad:

- Not much in the way of aftermarket yet
- The 2LT trim doesn’t actually have heated seats or a power hatch
- Factory wipers are kind of shit
- It’s a GM product, so there’s a lot of plastics inside and the steering wheel is a little thin/cheap feeling

Review:

Putting this in sport mode is the only way to drive it right now, as the shift mapping and throttle response is vastly improved/different, and the mileage is still better than anything I got with the truck. It’s nice driving something that, when I put my foot into it, doesn’t shudder and stumble as it downshifts multiple gears to try and get out of its own way.

The steering is amazing for an suv, and it is confidence inspiring when tossing it around or needing to rapidly change lanes; I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it handled moderate backroads well either, maybe just not at as high of a rate of speed as most of us would take them.

I’m gonna make a statement I know y’all will call bullshit on, but I’m making it anyway: it reminds me A LOT of my GTI, just bigger with a higher center of gravity. It’s got great throttle response, more than decent brakes, tons of cargo space and interior room, the turbo provides laughable amounts of torque steer and sport mode makes an aggressive growl when you get on it.

I highly recommend anyone in the market looking at these long and hard, with an open mind.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Yo nice SUV, finding a family hauler that works well and still brings joy of ownershit is pretty cool. It's tough to explain, but there's a certain happiness associated with finding a car that is good for you and the CF/family. Afterall, they are your entourage for like the next 15.5 yrs.

I loved my R, and will miss it, but I'm stoked about having a large cabin space and suspension settings that don't induce vomiting on the rear carpet mats.

The 🔥er is a dece looking SUV, not too soccer mom or gargantuan. Hope it stays great for you and your gang.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Some Alpha platform engineers were pulled to work on this thing so it felt sporty. It's a legit tuned for fun CUV. Nobody can get over the fucking name to discover it's actually sporty. I'm not at all surprised that it's reminscent of the GTI for you, because that's what it's intended to be...a hot hatch for people that need more utility. Chevy did a garbage job marketing the thing, and that's a shame.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I'm really curious about your continuing impressions. I've always thought they were neat in the segment, and a perfect vehicle for someone in your situation.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:10 pm Some Alpha platform engineers were pulled to work on this thing so it felt sporty. It's a legit tuned for fun CUV. Nobody can get over the fucking name to discover it's actually sporty. I'm not at all surprised that it's reminscent of the GTI for you, because that's what it's intended to be...a hot hatch for people that need more utility. Chevy did a garbage job marketing the thing, and that's a shame.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, I'm really curious about your continuing impressions. I've always thought they were neat in the segment, and a perfect vehicle for someone in your situation.
With some better tires on the optional 20's on it, it'll inspire more confidence in the corners, but it's got 500 miles on it, I'm in no hurry to replace them right now since it's winter and brand new. I've been more than impressed with it to this point, and told the wife the other day that I'm glad we didn't just buy a 2nd Traverse instead and went with the slightly smaller Blazer; she then said the same the next day when she finally got to drive it, :like:

As for the name, I guess I can see it putting people off from buying it, and that is a damn shame. Everyone seems to forget that GM had the 'sporty' on road Blazers back in the day (Xtreme's) and aren't willing to give them a chance in certain areas. Our dealer is 5 minutes from our house, and these things stay on the lot a week, maybe 2, at most.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

20s on an suv should be punishable by death
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:10 pm Some Alpha platform engineers were pulled to work on this thing so it felt sporty. It's a legit tuned for fun CUV. Nobody can get over the fucking name to discover it's actually sporty. I'm not at all surprised that it's reminscent of the GTI for you, because that's what it's intended to be...a hot hatch for people that need more utility. Chevy did a garbage job marketing the thing, and that's a shame.

They should’ve thrown an electric drivetrain in it and called it the CamEro.
that would make Camaro owners feel like Joe Biden actually won the election
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:08 pm

They should’ve thrown an electric drivetrain in it and called it the CamEro.
If GM knew that Ford was going to do that, I bet they would have.

I'm sure there will be a Camaro crossover EV before we know it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:24 am Oh I was being facetious since so many people misspell Camaro with an E already. So much existing brand equity. :lol:
No, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they purposefully misspelled the name for an EV crossover.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:03 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:24 am Oh I was being facetious since so many people misspell Camaro with an E already. So much existing brand equity. :lol:
No, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they purposefully misspelled the name for an EV crossover.
They could really piss people off and bring the elcamino back as an ev and call is the Ecomino….
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:49 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:03 am
They could really piss people off and bring the elcamino back as an ev and call is the Ecomino….
I imagine that nothing is off the table. GM really only cares about brand recognition (is someone familiar with the name) over any sort of "heritage" or whatever.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:58 am
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:49 am

I imagine that nothing is off the table. GM really only cares about brand recognition (is someone familiar with the name) over any sort of "heritage" or whatever.
Which is laughable really. I’ll say it again, the Blazer has a history of multiple different types of vehicles under the name plate, from the rugged off-road K5 to the sporty Xtreme in the late 90’s. One platform though isn’t gonna be good at both those styles though in todays market, and they took a chance by making the new in the vein of the late 90’s, just more family friendly while being that ‘sporty’ cuv/suv in the market. I think it’s worked well, though I know it’s pissed people off at the same time.

I just don’t see the need for them to try and go after the Jeep, 4Runner or Bronco with a vehicle though. I get they sell really, really well, but it’s a limited segment of the market, imo, and doesn’t need to pull their attention from where they can actually make a positive impact moving forward.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:11 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:58 am
Which is laughable really. I’ll say it again, the Blazer has a history of multiple different types of vehicles under the name plate, from the rugged off-road K5 to the sporty Xtreme in the late 90’s. One platform though isn’t gonna be good at both those styles though in todays market, and they took a chance by making the new in the vein of the late 90’s, just more family friendly while being that ‘sporty’ cuv/suv in the market. I think it’s worked well, though I know it’s pissed people off at the same time.

I just don’t see the need for them to try and go after the Jeep, 4Runner or Bronco with a vehicle though. I get they sell really, really well, but it’s a limited segment of the market, imo, and doesn’t need to pull their attention from where they can actually make a positive impact moving forward.
You're giving them WAY too much credit. The Traverse marketing manager (who inherited the C1UC, Blazer) directed the summer intern to work with legal to compile a list of all the SUV brand names they weren't using at the time but had an active trademark for. They then put together surveys to determine which brand name had the most brand recognition, and Blazer won. End of story. :lolol:

They had a 4R competitor, I worked on it. It would have been launching this summer as a GMC, and I would be buying one.

They canned it because they needed more money to develop EVs, so they scrapped the entire next gen midsize truck platform that it was based on. The current platform is being reworked for the new pickups, but it couldn't work for an SUV and be competitive for packaging and NVH. PLUS, those sorts of SUVs are terrible for CAFE and greenhouse gas requirements, so it was an easy kill for the bean counters.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:28 am
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:11 am

You're giving them WAY too much credit. The Traverse marketing manager (who inherited the C1UC, Blazer) directed the summer intern to work with legal to compile a list of all the SUV brand names they weren't using at the time but had an active trademark for. They then put together surveys to determine which brand name had the most brand recognition, and Blazer won. End of story. :lolol:

They had a 4R competitor, I worked on it. It would have been launching this summer as a GMC, and I would be buying one.

They canned it because they needed more money to develop EVs, so they scrapped the entire next gen midsize truck platform that it was based on. The current platform is being reworked for the new pickups, but it couldn't work for an SUV and be competitive for packaging and NVH. PLUS, those sorts of SUVs are terrible for CAFE and greenhouse gas requirements, so it was an easy kill for the bean counters.
Well…. Fuck. I still stand by my statements about it being fine with the name given the history of it, but that’s also some bullshit then.

I’m curious about what that suv would’ve been though now and wish it hadn’t been killed; I still think EVs are a good 5-10 years out from being really viable.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:28 am

Well…. Fuck. I still stand by my statements about it being fine with the name given the history of it, but that’s also some bullshit then.

I’m curious about what that suv would’ve been though now and wish it hadn’t been killed; I still think EVs are a good 5-10 years out from being really viable.
Since it's long dead and I haven't worked there in 4 years, I might as well share some of the deets...

It made it to the phase of having full scale models formed. It was actually in the final program approval phase where it was killed, which means it was mostly designed and engineered. Such a shame.

Exterior looked like a mashup of a 4R and the current Yukon AT4. It did have the spare tire mounted on the tailgate like a Defender, Wrangler, Bronco that also swung out, not up. Made it look really rugged. Also class leading approach and departure angles, the fascias were reminiscent of the Defender in that regard.

The AT4X was the top trim, using ZR2 components including Mutlimatic shocks, front and rear lockers, it could fit 35" tires without a lift or trimming, but 33's were standard on 17" wheels. Non-off-road models were planned as well, including a Denali that had 22" wheels and a lot of bling. It had a ton of presence, and looked way better than it had any right to. G Wagon esque. Probably could have cannibalized some Yukon Denali sales, even.

2.7T 4-banger and 10-speed auto from the Silverado was the only powertrain. At the time, assumed to be ~300hp and ~400tq. BEAST The platform was also designed to accept a 6.2 V8 with no modifications required for some special edition models.

Interior looked like the new Yukon, but size was comparable to the Acadia (a bit bigger than your Blazer) but no third row. 12" horizontal center screen, digital dash, optional panoramic sunroof, roll down rear window.

I would sign up to buy one if it made it. I don't want a Wrangler or Bronco because of wind/road noise, and I don't care much about the removable top because this is our only vehicle so priority goes to comfort and road manners, which I think this thing would have had in spades. Add to that a powertrain with balls, and it would have been a super compelling entrant that I think easily would have hit its sales target of 100k annually.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:31 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Since it's long dead and I haven't worked there in 4 years, I might as well share some of the deets...

It made it to the phase of having full scale models formed. It was actually in the final program approval phase where it was killed, which means it was mostly designed and engineered. Such a shame.

Exterior looked like a mashup of a 4R and the current Yukon AT4. It did have the spare tire mounted on the tailgate like a Defender, Wrangler, Bronco that also swung out, not up. Made it look really rugged. Also class leading approach and departure angles, the fascias were reminiscent of the Defender in that regard.

The AT4X was the top trim, using ZR2 components including Mutlimatic shocks, front and rear lockers, it could fit 35" tires without a lift or trimming, but 33's were standard on 17" wheels. Non-off-road models were planned as well, including a Denali that had 22" wheels and a lot of bling. It had a ton of presence, and looked way better than it had any right to. G Wagon esque. Probably could have cannibalized some Yukon Denali sales, even.

2.7T 4-banger and 10-speed auto from the Silverado was the only powertrain. At the time, assumed to be ~300hp and ~400tq. BEAST The platform was also designed to accept a 6.2 V8 with no modifications required for some special edition models.

Interior looked like the new Yukon, but size was comparable to the Acadia (a bit bigger than your Blazer) but no third row. 12" horizontal center screen, digital dash, optional panoramic sunroof, roll down rear window.

I would sign up to buy one if it made it. I don't want a Wrangler or Bronco because of wind/road noise, and I don't care much about the removable top because this is our only vehicle so priority goes to comfort and road manners, which I think this thing would have had in spades. Add to that a powertrain with balls, and it would have been a super compelling entrant that I think easily would have hit its sales target of 100k annually.
That sounds like a missed opportunity. Then again for the EV push all resources need to be on board while GM continues to sell shitboxes for the next 5 years to offset the other expenses.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Man that thing sounds hnng. RIP
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:31 pm

That sounds like a missed opportunity. Then again for the EV push all resources need to be on board while GM continues to sell shitboxes for the next 5 years to offset the other expenses.
Yep, the entire midsize truck program got rescoped for the EV push. The company is going all in, they better not fuck it up. Full size trucks and SUVs bring home the bacon, and that's the focus until EVs are here.

But then I look at Toyota who somehow manages to build both pods and interesting vehicles while still developing an EV portfolio. I don't see why one has to be more important than the other...
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:42 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:37 pm

Yep, the entire midsize truck program got rescoped for the EV push. The company is going all in, they better not fuck it up. Full size trucks and SUVs bring home the bacon, and that's the focus until EVs are here.

But then I look at Toyota who somehow manages to build both pods and interesting vehicles while still developing an EV portfolio. I don't see why one has to be more important than the other...
Toyota is using 25 year old engines and near 30 year old chassis in both the 4R and Tacoma. GM on the other hand updated shit way more... I don't see that much excitement from toyota to be honest. Yes there is the BRZ but its shared with subaru. And yes the Supra ... but it's really a Z4.

What else are they really doing? Yaris abroad ? and perhaps a sporty hatch toyota? For the worlds biggest auto maker that really isn't that much.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Toyota is using 25 year old engines and near 30 year old chassis in both the 4R and Tacoma. GM on the other hand updated shit way more... I don't see that much excitement from toyota to be honest. Yes there is the BRZ but its shared with subaru. And yes the Supra ... but it's really a Z4.

What else are they really doing? Yaris abroad ? and perhaps a sporty hatch toyota? For the worlds biggest auto maker that really isn't that much.
BRZ, Supra, GR Corolla, GR Yaris (other markets), the fact that the 4R still exists at all when the industry abandoned that segment (unless you consider the Wrangler and Bronco). Toyota was brilliant to recognize that older "tried and true" is better to the midsize truck and BOF SUV segments than a bunch of updates that can cause issues (the GM 3.6 appears to be problematic as it ages, the 8 speed has had issues since it launched). So instead of killing the products or updating them, they just kept them around and printed money with them with minimal improvements.

It might get shit gas mileage, but the 4R will run forever. Buyers in this segment find a lot of appeal in that. And Toyota was able to devote money to other segments of the business that needed it more.

But to bring this back on topic, one thing I think GM did right was the C1 platform that the Traverse, Blazer, Acadia, Enclave, XT5, and XT6 are based on. It's a really solid premium-feeling platform with a lot of flexibility that the company has really capitalized on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Glad you're enjoying it man! Seems like a nice dad wagon. I really don't see why people give a damn about the name, a good vehicle is a good vehicle. Same as the Mach E :triggered: I think the :triggered: naming just generates press for vehicles and isn't a bad move by manufacturers.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:17 pm Glad you're enjoying it man! Seems like a nice dad wagon. I really don't see why people give a damn about the name, a good vehicle is a good vehicle. Same as the Mach E :triggered: I think the :triggered: naming just generates press for vehicles and isn't a bad move by manufacturers.
It isn't a bad move unless it's as negative as the Blazer has been. You can't read a single damned review without someone :sass: the damned name and missed off-road opportunity and whatnot. Daddy Doug couldn't even honestly review the thing and just rambled on for 10 minutes about the name's heritage and the "missed opportunity".

:whocares: It's a damned name people, that shouldn't ruin an otherwise good vehicle. The idea of a sporty 2 row mid size SUV is actually pretty unique in the industry. The Edge is dead, the JCG can be sporty but pricey, the Passport is a short minivan, the Venza is a fancy Prius, I guess the Koreans have some stuff, but I can't keep up with their product launches.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:17 pm Glad you're enjoying it man! Seems like a nice dad wagon. I really don't see why people give a damn about the name, a good vehicle is a good vehicle. Same as the Mach E :triggered: I think the :triggered: naming just generates press for vehicles and isn't a bad move by manufacturers.
It isn't a bad move unless it's as negative as the Blazer has been. You can't read a single damned review without someone :sass: the damned name and missed off-road opportunity and whatnot. Daddy Doug couldn't even honestly review the thing and just rambled on for 10 minutes about the name's heritage and the "missed opportunity".

:whocares: It's a damned name people, that shouldn't ruin an otherwise good vehicle. The idea of a sporty 2 row mid size SUV is actually pretty unique in the industry. The Edge is dead, the JCG can be sporty but pricey, the Passport is a short minivan, the Venza is a fancy Prius, I guess the Koreans have some stuff, but I can't keep up with their product launches.
:thankyou:

We have plenty of options for big off roaders (Jeep, Bronco, Fendie, numerous :truk: ). Not really any sporty/nice to drive CUVs or wagons out there outside of pretty pricey M BMWs and the like. I actually think this fills a bigger hole in the market.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:25 pm

We have plenty of options for big off roaders (Jeep, Bronco, Fendie, numerous :truk: ). Not really any sporty/nice to drive CUVs or wagons out there outside of pretty pricey M BMWs and the like. I actually think this fills a bigger hole in the market.
It's actually how they sold the thing internally...a sporty/nice to drive CUV has more opportunity in the market because there currently isn't much out there like it. And being able to utilize an existing platform to make it happen was a no brainer.

If people would stop thinking of it as a "missed off roader opportunity" and more like a sporty tall midsized hatchback, it would make more sense to people. I honestly think they look cool, and I've always been curious to drive one. I'm sure it's more fun than it gets credit for.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:36 pm

It's actually how they sold the thing internally...a sporty/nice to drive CUV has more opportunity in the market because there currently isn't much out there like it. And being able to utilize an existing platform to make it happen was a no brainer.

If people would stop thinking of it as a "missed off roader opportunity" and more like a sporty tall midsized hatchback, it would make more sense to people. I honestly think they look cool, and I've always been curious to drive one. I'm sure it's more fun than it gets credit for.
Interestingly enough, outside the car/YouTube community, I have seen some real anecdotal love for this thing. My wife said that it is one of the few SUVs 'that aren't Jeeps' that she would drive :lolol:

A buddy of mine's wife constantly talks about how much she wants one. She drives a Compass shitbox and her hubby a shitter Cherokee and C3 'vette. They're rich but just too fucking cheap to actually buy the Blaze.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:36 pm

I get why they used the name, but it’s super silly at the same time.

An Explorer ST would’ve been ideal, but they’re expensive as fuck and the interior of the Fords is dated as hell. An R/T or SRT Durango would’ve been great, but gas would’ve sucked; same for the Jeep.

I considered a Pacifica to the point of even driving one at it was :neat: but the only thing it had going for it was the sliding doors and ease of putting rear seat entertainment in for the kids.

The Edge, and Flex, were non-starters cause they’re both dead and the seats suck; large, flat bottoms with no support whatsoever.

That brought us back to the Traverse/Acadia and that platform cause we both like it so much. From there, the Blazer made too much sense. Throw in the discounts and what they gave me for my truck, it would’ve been stupid not to do it. I love it and can’t wait to make it more my own, just gotta wait for the aftermarket to catch up/on for them