2022 Blazer - The Colorado replacement

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:36 pm
It's actually how they sold the thing internally...a sporty/nice to drive CUV has more opportunity in the market because there currently isn't much out there like it. And being able to utilize an existing platform to make it happen was a no brainer.

If people would stop thinking of it as a "missed off roader opportunity" and more like a sporty tall midsized hatchback, it would make more sense to people. I honestly think they look cool, and I've always been curious to drive one. I'm sure it's more fun than it gets credit for.
I get why they used the name, but it’s super silly at the same time.

An Explorer ST would’ve been ideal, but they’re expensive as fuck and the interior of the Fords is dated as hell. An R/T or SRT Durango would’ve been great, but gas would’ve sucked; same for the Jeep.

I considered a Pacifica to the point of even driving one at it was :neat: but the only thing it had going for it was the sliding doors and ease of putting rear seat entertainment in for the kids.

The Edge, and Flex, were non-starters cause they’re both dead and the seats suck; large, flat bottoms with no support whatsoever.

That brought us back to the Traverse/Acadia and that platform cause we both like it so much. From there, the Blazer made too much sense. Throw in the discounts and what they gave me for my truck, it would’ve been stupid not to do it. I love it and can’t wait to make it more my own, just gotta wait for the aftermarket to catch up/on for them
Yep, makes perfect sense.

Not that it matters now, but I was actually responsible for pre-planning the accessory portfolio for the Blazer launch. Curious how you're hoping the aftermarket develops?

Since they were going after the sporty market, I wanted things like intake, cat back exhaust, lowering springs, spoiler (front and rear), etc. I left to be the Colorado brand manager shortly after and all those parts got killed by my replacement who thought none of that would sell. I was hoping to add some performance credibility to the thing with :neat: unexpected parts. :ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:54 pm

I get why they used the name, but it’s super silly at the same time.

An Explorer ST would’ve been ideal, but they’re expensive as fuck and the interior of the Fords is dated as hell. An R/T or SRT Durango would’ve been great, but gas would’ve sucked; same for the Jeep.

I considered a Pacifica to the point of even driving one at it was :neat: but the only thing it had going for it was the sliding doors and ease of putting rear seat entertainment in for the kids.

The Edge, and Flex, were non-starters cause they’re both dead and the seats suck; large, flat bottoms with no support whatsoever.

That brought us back to the Traverse/Acadia and that platform cause we both like it so much. From there, the Blazer made too much sense. Throw in the discounts and what they gave me for my truck, it would’ve been stupid not to do it. I love it and can’t wait to make it more my own, just gotta wait for the aftermarket to catch up/on for them
Yep, makes perfect sense.

Not that it matters now, but I was actually responsible for pre-planning the accessory portfolio for the Blazer launch. Curious how you're hoping the aftermarket develops?

Since they were going after the sporty market, I wanted things like intake, cat back exhaust, lowering springs, spoiler (front and rear), etc. I left to be the Colorado brand manager shortly after and all those parts got killed by my replacement who thought none of that would sell. I was hoping to add some performance credibility to the thing with :neat: unexpected parts. :ohwell:
Since I have the turbo 4, I really want a cat back exhaust, maybe an intake, tune, strut brace for the front, sway bars, maybe springs. And, if I get really nuts, spoilers/bumpers.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Kind of hoping for some snow tomorrow cause I want to see how it does in the stuff, but I also don’t wanna have to be out in it if I don’t have to be.

Also, doubt anyone knows this, but any idea of a cat back for the v6 version might fit the 4 cyl?
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:41 pm Kind of hoping for some snow tomorrow cause I want to see how it does in the stuff, but I also don’t wanna have to be out in it if I don’t have to be.

Also, doubt anyone knows this, but any idea of a cat back for the v6 version might fit the 4 cyl?
Tires matter more than anything else in the snow. It probably won't be great.

I also highly doubt the V6 cat back would fit a 2.0 vehicle, but don't know for sure.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:43 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:41 pm Kind of hoping for some snow tomorrow cause I want to see how it does in the stuff, but I also don’t wanna have to be out in it if I don’t have to be.

Tires matter more than anything else in the snow. It probably won't be great.

I also highly doubt the V6 cat back would fit a 2.0 vehicle, but don't know for sure.

My GTI did great in the snow on the factory tires, and obviously better once replaced with the Conti’s I put on it. This has snow mode and decent AS tires, so it’ll do ‘fine’ for what little I’m sure we’re gonna get.

I kind of figured it wouldn’t, just spitballing ideas into the ethos cause I’m bored and just thinking of what might work or not.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've never heard of any car having compatible exhaust parts between different engine options.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm hoping it snows so I can go do hood rat shit in the 328i. Then, if I get stuck, get the wife to save me in the :jeep:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:49 am I've never heard of any car having compatible exhaust parts between different engine options.
Me either, but I’m these times of trying to save costs, it wouldn’t have surprised me if a manufacturer tried something like that. I’ll just have to wait and hope, or have a custom exhaust made at some point next year-ish
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:26 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:49 am I've never heard of any car having compatible exhaust parts between different engine options.
Me either, but I’m these times of trying to save costs, it wouldn’t have surprised me if a manufacturer tried something like that. I’ll just have to wait and hope, or have a custom exhaust made at some point next year-ish
It seems like a lot of GTI people and stuff just do a resonator and/or muffle delete. It would be pretty cheap to try and fairly easy to reverse if needed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Unfortunately a turbo 4 will never sound all that great. I've owned three and they've all sounded :disgust:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:33 am Unfortunately a turbo 4 will never sound all that great. I've owned three and they've all sounded :disgust:
It actually sounds decent stock, but if I could get a little deeper sound/tone and a little rumble, I’d love it. I’m hesitant to do anything though and have it sounds like I have a fart can on it, even if that’s not the case. What I’d love is a GHL exhaust for it, as I’ve always over how those have sounded on GM vehicles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:37 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:33 am Unfortunately a turbo 4 will never sound all that great. I've owned three and they've all sounded :disgust:
It actually sounds decent stock, but if I could get a little deeper sound/tone and a little rumble, I’d love it. I’m hesitant to do anything though and have it sounds like I have a fart can on it, even if that’s not the case. What I’d love is a GHL exhaust for it, as I’ve always over how those have sounded on GM vehicles.
I think most exhaust shops would do a resonator/muffle delete for $200-300, maybe you could get a GHL muffler and have them swap it out?

:lolol: I'm just trying to be an enabler of questionable choices. I like the idea of you making this thing your own a bit, since you really like it and the Blazer community could maybe be a thing if people 'got it' about this car.

Since it seems we're stuck with CUVs as the go-to for family vehicles, I like the idea of fun/stylish ones that aren't six figs like the cool Euro offerings.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 am
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:37 am

I think most exhaust shops would do a resonator/muffle delete for $200-300, maybe you could get a GHL muffler and have them swap it out?

:lolol: I'm just trying to be an enabler of questionable choices. I like the idea of you making this thing your own a bit, since you really like it and the Blazer community could maybe be a thing if people 'got it' about this car.

Since it seems we're stuck with CUVs as the go-to for family vehicles, I like the idea of fun/stylish ones that aren't six figs like the cool Euro offerings.
Lol, my wife thinks I’m funny for wanting to do stuff to it, but I don’t wanna ruin it or go too wild. Nothing gonna happen before spring anyway, in an attempt/hope the aftermarket comes around and I put more miles on it. Hell, it just rolled over 1k this morning
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:20 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:48 am

Lol, my wife thinks I’m funny for wanting to do stuff to it, but I don’t wanna ruin it or go too wild. Nothing gonna happen before spring anyway, in an attempt/hope the aftermarket comes around and I put more miles on it. Hell, it just rolled over 1k this morning
I think my wife thinks most mods are silly :ohwell:

I think going out to $60 dinners with the gals is silly, it all balances out :lolol:

Mine was pretty stoked when I turned the burble t00n off on the Beemah :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

It's possible they're shared, but the other big thing is weight savings. If they can switch to a smaller exhaust on the 4 banger to save weight, they will. And that's the most likely difference.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 am

It's possible they're shared, but the other big thing is weight savings. If they can switch to a smaller exhaust on the 4 banger to save weight, they will. And that's the most likely difference.
I actually hadn’t considered that part of it, just maybe a different diameter of tubing to help with back pressure to keep it efficient to an extent. I need to find time to join the Blazer forum and poke around.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 am
I actually hadn’t considered that part of it, just maybe a different diameter of tubing to help with back pressure to keep it efficient to an extent. I need to find time to join the Blazer forum and poke around.
Exactly. They'll often drop to a smaller diameter just to save weight if it's not 100% required for performance. Engines are air pumps, generally larger displacement requires more air flow.

On the WL Grand Cherokee, there's a 2.0L engine for global markets. It has a smaller diameter exhaust than the 3.6, entirely for weight savings. Then they decided we needed to reduce part complexity more than reduce weight, so they looked into communizing exhausts. The V6 needed the larger diameter for performance, but the weight hit to the 2.0 vehicles was hard to accept. So many worthless meetings battling that stupid decision for months, and I left before they could settle on a solution. Meanwhile because the decision took so long, both parts were tooled up and produced, but the French insist on part count reduction so they'll end up scrapping tooling and parts I'm sure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:50 am I'm hoping it snows so I can go do hood rat shit in the 328i. Then, if I get stuck, get the wife to save me in the :jeep:
:notsure:

On topic though, I would imagine if you took this to an exhaust shop:

https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/ ... d2fe8b3d00

They'd probably charge a couple hundred to replace your stock muffler with this and fab up some tail pipes/tips for you. I'd leave the stock resonators in place because with a TC auto it can be hard to drive around drone.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:50 am I'm hoping it snows so I can go do hood rat shit in the 328i. Then, if I get stuck, get the wife to save me in the :jeep:

They'd probably charge a couple hundred to replace your stock muffler with this and fab up some tail pipes/tips for you. I'd leave the stock resonators in place because with a TC auto it can be hard to drive around drone.
Would need to hear how that sounds on something before doing anything like that. I’ll keep poking around and digging into options throughout the winter, I’m in no hurry. Damn things so new that I’m not surprised there isn’t much of an aftermarket for it, but I’m mildly concerned that there will be even less of one for the 4 cylinder than the v6 as it continues it’s lifecycle
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:09 pm

Would need to hear how that sounds on something before doing anything like that. I’ll keep poking around and digging into options throughout the winter, I’m in no hurry. Damn things so new that I’m not surprised there isn’t much of an aftermarket for it, but I’m mildly concerned that there will be even less of one for the 4 cylinder than the v6 as it continues it’s lifecycle
Nah, in this day and age, the 2.0 will be the volume engine soon if it isn't already. It's a good engine in that vehicle, I prefer it to the V6.

:triggered: :wrong:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:32 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Nah, in this day and age, the 2.0 will be the volume engine soon if it isn't already. It's a good engine in that vehicle, I prefer it to the V6.

I do too actually. I test drove a fwd v6, and liked it, but it was nose heavy for a ‘sporty’ suv/cuv. Also helps we have a v6 traverse, so I didn’t mind doing something different. Test drive an xt5 to feel the 2.0 and thought it had much better acceleration and fit me more, so I put a deposit down on the one we bought.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:32 pm

I do too actually. I test drove a fwd v6, and liked it, but it was nose heavy for a ‘sporty’ suv/cuv. Also helps we have a v6 traverse, so I didn’t mind doing something different. Test drive an xt5 to feel the 2.0 and thought it had much better acceleration and fit me more, so I put a deposit down on the one we bought.
The 2.0 has more usable toque, and being lighter on the nose makes it feel more peppy in general. It's the way I'd go too. The aftermarket may or may not catch up depending on how popular the Blazer is with folks like yourself that want to have fun with it.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:50 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:46 pm

The 2.0 has more usable toque, and being lighter on the nose makes it feel more peppy in general. It's the way I'd go too. The aftermarket may or may not catch up depending on how popular the Blazer is with folks like yourself that want to have fun with it.
Yup. I am willing to wait simply because I plan on keeping this around for awhile. It would be nice to make it mine but I’ll take my time and if I have to do a lot of one off stuff, then I will when I’m able.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Magnaflow has an entire cat back for the V6. I'm sure you could call and get exact dimensions on fitment and do you own measurements on your car too. It's NOT cheap though at like $1400
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:26 pm Magnaflow has an entire cat back for the V6. I'm sure you could call and get exact dimensions on fitment and do you own measurements on your car too. It's NOT cheap though at like $1400
Yup, another reason I’m in no hurry.