Cal-exit

Want to pledge allegiance to the Drumpf? Clash with Caspian? Scared of the stickers on your mailbox? Let's hear it.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote:
maxtdi wrote: Because we have the highest population of any state and in a democracy that should matter the most.

This country is a "representative democracy", last i checked the translation of the word democracy means majority rule.

The fact that trump got 290 votes vs 228 for Clinton while getting 600,000 less actual votes further demonstrates how fucked up the electoral collage is.

Solution? Just do a popular vote. Majority wins
Popular vote doesn't work either, Mr. McBoatface.
Right let's just get dictators or bring monarchies back
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

maxtdi wrote:
razr390 wrote: No one cares? Why the hell would anyone campaign in California when it is decidedly ALWAYS Democratic?

I agree with you, can you imagine how frustrated Drumpf supporters in California feel whenever they cast their vote?
Because we have the highest population of any state and in a democracy that should matter the most.

This country is a "representative democracy", last i checked the translation of the word democracy means majority rule.

The fact that trump got 290 votes vs 228 for Clinton while getting 600,000 less actual votes further demonstrates how fucked up the electoral collage is.

you are not grasping the concept.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote:
maxtdi wrote: Because we have the highest population of any state and in a democracy that should matter the most.

you are not grasping the concept.
I fully understand how the system works, but I don't agree with it.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Popular vote doesn't work either, Mr. McBoatface.
Dat philosopher king :doe:

Alternatively use poll tests. The simplest one:

All ballots are write-in only. You get a list of the positions up for election and have to write in your choice of candidate. If you can't even remember the name of the person you want, then your vote does not deserve to count.
max225

[user not found] wrote:

We are a democratic REPUBLIC specifically designed to prevent tyranny of the majority.

I don't like the loss any more than anyone else, but trying to plan a change to the Constitution is wasted effort that could be going to winning the midterms which are less than two years away.
Explain the tyranny part please, and how not giving victory to the majority is an outcome without consequences ?!
razr390

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Popular vote doesn't work either, Mr. McBoatface.
dude... lol

if it was only popular vote half of the country's citizens' needs and wants would not even be considered as important. Try, for a second, I know it's hard, but try to imagine that you're living in the midwest, maybe in a state like Montana or the like, and every election, you'd go vote and you'd realize that in reality your vote doesn't count for shit because BOTH candidates would not even consider your votes, they'd go and fight in major population areas.

You know what would happen? Instead of swing states you'd have swing cities or counties. It'll be the same monster, with lower voter turnout based off of the overall population as a whole. People would stop showing up to vote, and you'd get elections where instead of ~5x,xxx,xxx votes on each side you'll have maybe 5-10million on each side. The population areas will get further divided.

Electoral college, however flawed it is, encourages people to participate in their civic duties.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

Countless ppl don't end up voting out here because "my vote doesn't matter anyways"

I'm just saying our system is need of a refresh. Does it work ? Mainly yes. But it needs to be updated
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:

We are a democratic REPUBLIC specifically designed to prevent tyranny of the majority.

I don't like the loss any more than anyone else, but trying to plan a change to the Constitution is wasted effort that could be going to winning the midterms which are less than two years away.
You mean fighting for what you believe in is a waste of time because it's impossible to achieve? I was trying to say the same exact thing to you when you claimed that my having that attitude made you sad as a friend and as an American... but it's OK now?
max225

razr390 wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
dude... lol

if it was only popular vote half of the country's citizens' needs and wants would not even be considered as important. Try, for a second, I know it's hard, but try to imagine that you're living in the midwest, maybe in a state like Montana or the like, and every election, you'd go vote and you'd realize that in reality your vote doesn't count for shit because BOTH candidates would not even consider your votes, they'd go and fight in major population areas.

You know what would happen? Instead of swing states you'd have swing cities or counties. It'll be the same monster, with lower voter turnout based off of the overall population as a whole. People would stop showing up to vote, and you'd get elections where instead of ~5x,xxx,xxx votes on each side you'll have maybe 5-10million on each side. The population areas will get further divided.

Electoral college, however flawed it is, encourages people to participate in their civic duties.

I willing to argue the complete opposite. And in a democracy majority rules, who cares about Montana?!
razr390

maxtdi wrote:Countless ppl don't end up voting out here because "my vote doesn't matter anyways"

I'm just saying our system is need of a refresh. Does it work ? Mainly yes. But it needs to be updated
Mainly = when your candidate wins, doesn't work when candidate doesn't?

My candidate did not win, yet I am able to provide a rational understanding as to why she lost this election, and the easiest thing to do is blame the electoral college, or FBI, but in reality she has an unprecedented history of unpopularity, then the e-mails, then the cozing up to wall street and courting celebrity endorsements (as if that did anything), pandering to minorities (HOT SAUCE IN MY POCKET, WTF?!?), rigging the primaries against another anti-establishment candidate (albeit farfetched policies, he had more popularity than she did). She represented the "same ol' same ol' politics" and many people were tired of that. A Republican did not win the election, either. Donald Trump won the election. RNC and DNC super volatile, and this was the reality check both parties needed to show them that people are really sick of their shit. Whether or not they take the message and improve come 2018 elections, it is up to them. But I know that blame gaming and rioting in the street furthers the fact that these elections will get more and more volatile because people are scared to accept criticism of themselves and god forbid they could've done something better.
max225

razr390 wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Countless ppl don't end up voting out here because "my vote doesn't matter anyways"

Mainly = when your candidate wins, doesn't work when candidate doesn't?

My candidate did not win, yet I am able to provide a rational understanding as to why she lost this election, and the easiest thing to do is blame the electoral college, or FBI, but in reality she has an unprecedented history of unpopularity, then the e-mails, then the cozing up to wall street and courting celebrity endorsements (as if that did anything), pandering to minorities (HOT SAUCE IN MY POCKET, WTF?!?), rigging the primaries against another anti-establishment candidate (albeit farfetched policies, he had more popularity than she did). She represented the "same ol' same ol' politics" and many people were tired of that. A Republican did not win the election, either. Donald Trump won the election. RNC and DNC super volatile, and this was the reality check both parties needed to show them that people are really sick of their shit. Whether or not they take the message and improve come 2018 elections, it is up to them. But I know that blame gaming and rioting in the street furthers the fact that these elections will get more and more volatile because people are scared to accept criticism of themselves and god forbid they could've done something better.
That's not the point though. The point is SHE DID WIN the majority of votes. The outcome of this election is nto democracy.
razr390

maxtdi wrote:
razr390 wrote: dude... lol

I willing to argue the complete opposite. And in a democracy majority rules, who cares about Montana?!
That is not how the system of federalism and "United States" works. If that were the case then each state should just be its own country, right?

Oh wow, what about California? "Who cares about Los Angeles county? majority rules?"!
razr390

maxtdi wrote:
razr390 wrote: Mainly = when your candidate wins, doesn't work when candidate doesn't?

My candidate did not win, yet I am able to provide a rational understanding as to why she lost this election, and the easiest thing to do is blame the electoral college, or FBI, but in reality she has an unprecedented history of unpopularity, then the e-mails, then the cozing up to wall street and courting celebrity endorsements (as if that did anything), pandering to minorities (HOT SAUCE IN MY POCKET, WTF?!?), rigging the primaries against another anti-establishment candidate (albeit farfetched policies, he had more popularity than she did). She represented the "same ol' same ol' politics" and many people were tired of that. A Republican did not win the election, either. Donald Drumpf won the election. RNC and DNC super volatile, and this was the reality check both parties needed to show them that people are really sick of their shit. Whether or not they take the message and improve come 2018 elections, it is up to them. But I know that blame gaming and rioting in the street furthers the fact that these elections will get more and more volatile because people are scared to accept criticism of themselves and god forbid they could've done something better.
That's not the point though. The point is SHE DID WIN the majority of votes. The outcome of this election is nto democracy.
She won the majority of votes because of the disproportionate spread of population, easily those extra votes could've come from California or New York... no surprise, but it was based on popular vote PER STATE, not cumulative.
max225

razr390 wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

That is not how the system of federalism and "United States" works. If that were the case then each state should just be its own country, right?

Oh wow, what about California? "Who cares about Los Angeles county? majority rules?"!
I don't understand what you're saying
razr390

maxtdi wrote:
razr390 wrote: That is not how the system of federalism and "United States" works. If that were the case then each state should just be its own country, right?

I don't understand what you're saying
Your "who cares about Montana" comment can be applied to microscopic levels. As long as Montana is part of the United States, the people that live in Montana have just as much value as those who live in California.
razr390

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: You mean fighting for what you believe in is a waste of time because it's impossible to achieve? I was trying to say the same exact thing to you when you claimed that my having that attitude made you sad as a friend and as an American... but it's OK now?
Incorrect. A constitutional amendment is extremely difficult especially when you aren't in power. Focus on taking power FIRST then you can work on something that was designed to be far more difficult to change than law.
But when the other side wins (taking power) via the Electoral College, there is no more cause for concern about it :lol:
max225

razr390 wrote:
maxtdi wrote: I don't understand what you're saying
Your "who cares about Montana" comment can be applied to microscopic levels. As long as Montana is part of the United States, the people that live in Montana have just as much value as those who live in California.
A singular person yes everyone is equal. However what 38 million Californians want carries 38x the weight of what 1million Montanians?! want. That's how democracies work
razr390

maxtdi wrote:
razr390 wrote: Your "who cares about Montana" comment can be applied to microscopic levels. As long as Montana is part of the United States, the people that live in Montana have just as much value as those who live in California.
A singular person yes everyone is equal. However what 38 million Californians want carries 38x the weight of what 1million Montanians?! want. That's how democracies work
That's why you have local elections too. Beauty of federalism. States have insane powers to make their own constitutions and laws and whatnot. What 38 million californians want is in the constitution of california, the laws of california, and the amendments they pass. Federally, what 38 million californians want has to play nice to the rest of the 49 states in our country.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: A singular person yes everyone is equal. However what 38 million Californians want carries 38x the weight of what 1million Montanians?! want. That's how democracies work
And thank God we aren't a democracy.
God is the whole problem with this country (and most of the planet).

...and that's why nothing I want will EVER come to pass. Step 0 is get rid of religion. Rational thought will never dominate until religion is relegated to the obscure lunatic cult status it deserves. Won't happen, and trying to make it happen would be a waste of my own life.
max225

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: God is the whole problem with this country (and most of the planet).

...and that's why nothing I want will EVER come to pass. Step 0 is get rid of religion. Rational thought will never dominate until religion is relegated to the obscure lunatic cult status it deserves. Won't happen, and trying to make it happen would be a waste of my own life.
As long as we actually get it out of government, who cares what people believe?

Also, this is my whole point, if we were a pure democracy the religious would totally take over in a way that makes right now look like child's play.
You mean like banning abortions in certain states having god on our currency and putting your hand on the Bible when becoming president... yea it would be crazy
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: God is the whole problem with this country (and most of the planet).

As long as we actually get it out of government, who cares what people believe?

Also, this is my whole point, if we were a pure democracy the religious would totally take over in a way that makes right now look like child's play.
You can't get it out of government without getting it out of the majority of people's minds... unless you take away their right to vote on the grounds of religious belief being a dangerous mental illness.

In case you hadn't noticed, it's impossible to win even a local election in the vast majority of the world without demonstrating and supporting religious belief.
troyguitar

maxtdi wrote:
[user not found] wrote: As long as we actually get it out of government, who cares what people believe?

You mean like banning abortions in certain states having god on our currency and putting your hand on the Bible when becoming president... yea it would be crazy
E pluribus unum, motherfuckers.

Neil deGrasse Tyson 2020

"Make America Smart Again"
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Try things like forced church attendance. Censorship on the internet.

Etc.

As far as those folks are concerned we are a hedonistic nation on the verge of hell. Our opinions here are far far from the mainstream.
Those people belong in asylums. How do you propose we put them there?
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Try things like forced church attendance. Censorship on the internet.

Etc.

As far as those folks are concerned we are a hedonistic nation on the verge of hell. Our opinions here are far far from the mainstream.
I dunno bruh, you must not have attended some our colorful public events here like the Folsom street fair.

Religion is still prominent but this nation was supposedly built on the premise of you can believe whatever you want so no way in hell(pun intended ) will a democacry cause some kind of religious fananticism
max225

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote: I dunno bruh, you must not have attended some our colorful public events here like the Folsom street fair.

Religion is still prominent but this nation was supposedly built on the premise of you can believe whatever you want so no way in hell(pun intended ) will a democacry cause some kind of religious fananticism
Oh agreed!! But this is protected by the fact we DONT have pure democracy.
Hmm don't know if i can intelligently disagree with what you're saying, because i frankly don't know where this country would be with pure democracy.

I am just thinking out loud when I am discussing the electoral college and it's current role in the election. I think there are some strong pros and cons for the institution.

However I do think the cons outweigh the pros.

But that's just my opinion on the internet