Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:25 am
coogles wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:23 am

WRX isn't much better with the huge tablet from the Outback, doe.
Not wrong but at least it’s all backlit so it’s moderately usable.

I bet they fix the bumper after 2 years with a refresh.
I'm waiting to really hate on the bumper until I see it IRL. But it does seem like an easy fix to implement in a refresh. In fact, they might have planned it that way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:58 am
fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:23 am GR86 is the new GTI?

I’m hearing possibly January now as we might have found a dealership in the Boston region willing to allocation swap.

CAT/NYR’s decision not to bring in manual trans premium trims is stupid.
I wonder if they were only allowed to pick one transmission for premium trims for launch to keep the plant moving well? It seems Toyota batch builds a number of models, I imagine that makes the plant far more efficient.

Just sucks for the customer.
Nope. They're being built all ways and configurations, but the NY and Central Atlantic regions have chosen to bring in MT models in base trim only. :derp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I need some advice for winter tars on the new Cammie....

Stock winter size is recommended 215/55r17 or 235/45 R18

I own Conti Viking 7s in a 215/50r17, if I reuse them, I'd have to dig up some used Lexus/Toyota ramz and get that mounted...

Alternately I buy new wheels, and if I'm going to be spendy, I was thinking of :troywax: on 18s, since 45 is still a dece sidewall and they will suit the yacht like character.

WhAt ShOuLd i dO??
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:24 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:22 am

Did they show it yet?
No, but I'm :excited: to see it. A rally inspired :manuel: 260hp AWD hatch would be an absolute riot where I live year round.

I've watched videos of the GR Yaris, that 3 banger is :neat: AF. I'd like a slightly bigger car anyway, so the GR Corolla could be my ideal 2nd vehicle.
I too am intrigued with this.

I have a lot of things in play for the next :plac: move. We will likely have :baby: in the next year or so, my new job may require some road trips, etc. so depending on needs, I am thinking of a few scenarios:
1. Buy GR86, sell 328i, just use the 86 for everything (this is my preference, but obviously 86 is sub optimal for longer road trips and kid shit)
2. Buy GR86, keep BMW (this would be cool but having two cars is meh, particularly when I barely drive)
3. Sell BMW, buy GR86 and something cheap/efficient if beater prices come down, like a $5-10K hybrid or Mazda 3
4. Sell BMW and get something better all around (likely new Si/R/Integra or GR 'rolla
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:50 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:58 am
I wonder if they were only allowed to pick one transmission for premium trims for launch to keep the plant moving well? It seems Toyota batch builds a number of models, I imagine that makes the plant far more efficient.

Just sucks for the customer.
Nope. They're being built all ways and configurations, but the NY and Central Atlantic regions have chosen to bring in MT models in base trim only. :derp:
:wat: :fullretard:

There's an upper trim :manuel: BRZ coming to my local Subi :dillerman: Seems like Subaru did it differently, at least in my region.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Getting some quotes on 18s

FAST Wheels are fairly cheap (ish), I'm looking at VYBZ in 18s gloss black (extra glossy), or something like a FC04/Tactic in a gunmetal/titanium look.

ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:52 am I need some advice for winter tars on the new Cammie....

I own Conti Viking 7s in a 215/50r17, if I reuse them, I'd have to dig up some used Lexus/Toyota ramz and get that mounted...

Alternately I buy new wheels, and if I'm going to be spendy, I was thinking of :troywax: on 18s, since 45 is still a dece sidewall and they will suit the yacht like character.

WhAt ShOuLd i dO??
I strongly suggest the smallest wheels and largest sidewall possible for snow tires, also the narrower the better. Yea, it'll handle soft, but it'll blast over every single bump ZFG. I found it particularly nice in Detroit in late winter when the potholes are popping up everywhere, freeway expansion joints are falling apart, and snow is ice bermed up all over. It makes for an :aintcare: ZFG ride, which is nice. Wife also nuked 2 wheels on the Volt because of the garbage late winter roads. I assume Toronto is similar?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:59 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:52 am I need some advice for winter tars on the new Cammie....

WhAt ShOuLd i dO??
I strongly suggest the smallest wheels and largest sidewall possible for snow tires, also the narrower the better. Yea, it'll handle soft, but it'll blast over every single bump ZFG. I found it particularly nice in Detroit in late winter when the potholes are popping up everywhere, freeway expansion joints are falling apart, and snow is ice bermed up all over. It makes for an :aintcare: ZFG ride, which is nice. Wife also nuked 2 wheels on the Volt because of the garbage late winter roads. I assume Toronto is similar?
Not too bad, there's always a risk of a pothole, but they aren't all over the place. Still, it takes just one.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I might have a lead on a scuffed 17 at buddys shop
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:08 am I might have a lead on a scuffed 17 at buddys shop
Yea no point in getting aftermarket :ramz: for the winter. Utility is key
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This might make it cheaper...

You guys think the 50 vs 55 sidewall is an issue?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:09 am Image

No I would just run them since you have them, and when they're due for replacement get the correct size at that time.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:54 am

No I would just run them since you have them, and when they're due for replacement get the correct size at that time.
NBD?

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

These are apparently rolling around.

:hibachi: on deets and price, i don't think my guy GAF

ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, worth a shot I guess.

When I ran the Volt on tires that were smaller than stock, it kinda blew. That centimeter or so of tire diameter really made a difference in my case. The car scraped more on parking lot dips and such, and it seemed to get stuck in deep snow easier. It was night and day when I got the proper size tires.

But since you have them, find a set of wheels to slap them on and see how it goes. If it's bad, get the proper side. All you'd be out is mounting/balancing the originals, so like $100? Worth a try.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm

When I ran the Volt on tires that were smaller than stock, it kinda blew. That centimeter or so of tire diameter really made a difference in my case. The car scraped more on parking lot dips and such, and it seemed to get stuck in deep snow easier. It was night and day when I got the proper size tires.

But since you have them, find a set of wheels to slap them on and see how it goes. If it's bad, get the proper side. All you'd be out is mounting/balancing the originals, so like $100? Worth a try.
I hate paying for/doing the same shit twice, plus I have $600 for my VW winter setup ready to go in a private sale and dealer trade in so I only want to split the set up if I'm sure that I'll keep the tires.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm

I hate paying for/doing the same shit twice, plus I have $600 for my VW winter setup ready to go in a private sale and dealer trade in so I only want to split the set up if I'm sure that I'll keep the tires.
Oh hell, if you can sell your VW ones, then I'd do that and buy the proper size tires for the Camry. Just buy some cheap wheels (steel is great because they bend and don't crack so they could last longer) and slap the proper tires on and roll ZFG. I think it's worth it, especially since you'll be on those tires for half the year anyway for as long as you own the car. You'll get your mileage out of them, and it's nice starting fresh with the car IMO.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:16 pm

Oh hell, if you can sell your VW ones, then I'd do that and buy the proper size tires for the Camry. Just buy some cheap wheels (steel is great because they bend and don't crack so they could last longer) and slap the proper tires on and roll ZFG. I think it's worth it, especially since you'll be on those tires for half the year anyway for as long as you own the car. You'll get your mileage out of them, and it's nice starting fresh with the car IMO.
The dealership wants an arm and a leg for steelies, and they eventually rust. With a 215/55 sidewall I'm 99% sure that I'll NEVER crack or bend any wheels. Okay, I'm with you on the new setup. I'll sell what I have for $600 and go fresh new tars, 17s, and possibly used :ramz: if I find some that I like enough. The 18s are a silly spec anyways, 235 wide is asking for them to float on packed snow, and they start to get a bit pricey.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 pm
The dealership wants an arm and a leg for steelies, and they eventually rust. With a 215/55 sidewall I'm 99% sure that I'll NEVER crack or bend any wheels. Okay, I'm with you on the new setup. I'll sell what I have for $600 and go fresh new tars, 17s, and possibly used :ramz: if I find some that I like enough. The 18s are a silly spec anyways, 235 wide is asking for them to float on packed snow, and they start to get a bit pricey.
I'd go as small as possible, personally. 17, 16 if they fit and exist. Tires are cheaper, so are wheels. But yea, definitely keep the tire narrow, find some decent enough take-offs from something for cheap and just roll that way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So one of the FAST wheels I posted (third set in gunmetal) is like $160/piece in 17 and my guy will get me cheap Blizzak WS90s in the 215/55r17s so I'm working that deal out. I could :scrooge: further and find used wheels for half that amount but this seems more fitting of a 30+K new car. I'm waiting on all-in price. I might even throw an extra $20/wheel at Toyota center caps.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:01 pm
I'd go alloys. Lighter, and since winter lasts longer up there... you'll at least get to enjoy the car looking aight compared to looking like someone stole the wheels and you couldn't afford to replace them.

I like these:
This is kind of what I'm settling on with the advice of my esteemed automotive collection,

$400/corner includes installation and balancing with Blizzak WS90s, less $600 for the old set which is a guaranteed sale.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:24 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:22 am

Did they show it yet?
No, but I'm :excited: to see it. A rally inspired :manuel: 260hp AWD hatch would be an absolute riot where I live year round.

I've watched videos of the GR Yaris, that 3 banger is :neat: AF. I'd like a slightly bigger car anyway, so the GR Corolla could be my ideal 2nd vehicle.
That car interests me as well.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Canuckian rupies
Desertbreh

I'm starting to seriously rethink my big dick Cadillac idea and just buy something that's fun to jump into and zip around in.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.