Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

One funny general car thing I've observed... I've told quite a few people I'm getting a BRZ, and almost no one knows WTF that is. I'll say Subaru BRZ and everyone just assumes it's a CUV model, even people somewhat interested in cars.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Current Carvana offer expires tomorrow so I refreshed with my work email... value went up $200 :notbad: $17.5K. I will definitely be taking this one next week assuming it doesn't further climb/stay the same.

This is becoming a pretty fun game.

At this point, it's now only down $2K since July, so I'm actually feeling :notbad: about keeping it around. I have made about $600 in profit from using it for work travel, so less than $500/month to continue owning a car.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:51 am Current Carvana offer expires tomorrow so I refreshed with my work email... value went up $200 :notbad: $17.5K. I will definitely be taking this one next week assuming it doesn't further climb/stay the same.

At this point, it's now only down $2K since July, so I'm actually feeling :notbad: about keeping it around. I have made about $600 in profit from using it for work travel, so less than $500/month to continue owning a car.
Sounds like fun, I'm glad it's going up/leveling off for you. Cars are still suffering from supply chain issues across the board, so it's keeping new and used prices high.

I saw a GR86 and really enjoyed the look of the rear quarter panel/quarter window design elements. It's such a nice car, I hope you get a good one if you decide to go ahead with the BRZ. I'm hung up about the next thing I get being a mid-engine configuration car within the budget of a GR86/BRZ, but if none exists one of these would suit the purpose just fine.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:21 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:51 am Current Carvana offer expires tomorrow so I refreshed with my work email... value went up $200 :notbad: $17.5K. I will definitely be taking this one next week assuming it doesn't further climb/stay the same.

Sounds like fun, I'm glad it's going up/leveling off for you. Cars are still suffering from supply chain issues across the board, so it's keeping new and used prices high.

I saw a GR86 and really enjoyed the look of the rear quarter panel/quarter window design elements. It's such a nice car, I hope you get a good one if you decide to go ahead with the BRZ. I'm hung up about the next thing I get being a mid-engine configuration car within the budget of a GR86/BRZ, but if none exists one of these would suit the purpose just fine.
I too am quite mid-engine curious but it's a tough pill to swallow. The only alternative in this price range would be a Boxster/Cayman and at that point you're talking at least a 10 year old car with Porsche maintenance and less practicality, so I'll do FR configuration again this time.

I'm pretty much 100% on getting the thing, my :plac: flare up due to silicone gate is diminished. I think I'll go ahead and order the duck bill spoiler from the 86 soon and then an exhaust will probably come a month or two after taking delivery.

They say it's still on track for December :excited:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:09 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:05 pm

Ah so the new one isn’t out… lol that makes sense with the dude I saw posting that he just got one today. I can’t tell one gen from the next, but maybe his is a C7 then.
It is … but “new” one came out as unobtanium in 2020, today you can finally get one as you’re supposed to. The NEW one is a 2023 model that you can’t touch until 2025.
I don’t know what gen this is lol

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:19 am

It is … but “new” one came out as unobtanium in 2020, today you can finally get one as you’re supposed to. The NEW one is a 2023 model that you can’t touch until 2025.

That's what I owned, it's a C6 (2005 to 2013?)! Mine was a first model year with its fair share of issues, but was the cheapest I found that year. I could have sold it for an additional 10K if I kept it until now, but it never depreciated further.
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:27 am

That's what I owned, it's a C6 (2005 to 2013?)! Mine was a first model year with its fair share of issues, but was the cheapest I found that year. I could have sold it for an additional 10K if I kept it until now, but it never depreciated further.
:word:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:39 am
Tar wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:21 am

I too am quite mid-engine curious but it's a tough pill to swallow. The only alternative in this price range would be a Boxster/Cayman and at that point you're talking at least a 10 year old car with Porsche maintenance and less practicality, so I'll do FR configuration again this time.

I'm pretty much 100% on getting the thing, my :plac: flare up due to silicone gate is diminished. I think I'll go ahead and order the duck bill spoiler from the 86 soon and then an exhaust will probably come a month or two after taking delivery.

:nice: I'm stoked for you, I want one of those too.

I keep looking at MR2s from the 90s, they have two prices - all original/sorted or heaps of shit. Price for a good one is $25k, which is :ludacris:

Just came across another one, kind of two owner cream puff spec and of course listed for $25k. This did include the monroney sticker, thought it was interesting to see. They weren't cheap by 90s standards, so with inflation and stuff I'd assume a new one would be around 50-60K.

Pretty :neat:

max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:42 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:39 am

:nice: I'm stoked for you, I want one of those too.

I keep looking at MR2s from the 90s, they have two prices - all original/sorted or heaps of shit. Price for a good one is $25k, which is :ludacris:

Just came across another one, kind of two owner cream puff spec and of course listed for $25k. This did include the monroney sticker, thought it was interesting to see. They weren't cheap by 90s standards, so with inflation and stuff I'd assume a new one would be around 50-60K.

Pretty :neat:

Power steering was an option! :impressive:

Imo 25k is :notbad: for a classic relatively reliable toy.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:21 am One funny general car thing I've observed... I've told quite a few people I'm getting a BRZ, and almost no one knows WTF that is. I'll say Subaru BRZ and everyone just assumes it's a CUV model, even people somewhat interested in cars.
Hmm most car people know the brz. If they don’t they are not car people. But most average people don’t know that Subaru makes anything but lesbiwagons
max225

Who is the roidy vascular fella?!

Also that’s a c6 z06. Just about 2 generations old… “if it looks like a corvette” it’s old. “If it looks like a Ferrari” it’s new. That’s how you tell the corvettes apart
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

@Dan is your BRZ coming with this spoiler? My buddy test drove the car this weekend and I think it looks pretty good.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:36 pm @Dan is your BRZ coming with this spoiler? My buddy test drove the car this weekend and I think it looks pretty good.

I certainly don't think so? That seems like a :dillerman: add on or something, I don't recall seeing an option for that when I was ordering. It does look decent. If it did, I'd probably keep that and skip the duck bill. No spoiler looks meh to me on these.

Fortunately the reds are the same so I can just order one for a red 86 and stick it on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

His car certainly now matches his physique in power and attitude.

I think the C6Z06 is probably the best Z06 (although the new one is likely better). You get a manual, 500+ HP out of a high revving NA V8, more interior space, targa top. I want one. They used to be not all that much money, like $30K for a pretty nice one. Now that gets you a salvage POS from 2007 (first year of that gen Z06).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In4 that dude joining to discuss working out and Corvettes :doe:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:33 am

Also that’s a c6 z06. Just about 2 generations old… “if it looks like a corvette” it’s old. “If it looks like a Ferrari” it’s new. That’s how you tell the corvettes apart
:lol: fantastic way for non-car folk like myself to tell them apart. I didn’t think his was a C8, but didn’t know for sure.

Dude used to be an Animal ambassador with me. Fellow juicehead competitor. Just had a show in a late August, which explains the wild vascularity.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:33 am

:lol: fantastic way for non-car folk like myself to tell them apart. I didn’t think his was a C8, but didn’t know for sure.

Dude used to be an Animal ambassador with me. Fellow juicehead competitor. Just had a show in a late August, which explains the wild vascularity.
Get him on DFD! I'll share my Corvette knowledge with him in turn for just a little bit of that physique.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:09 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:54 pm

Get him on DFD! I'll share my Corvette knowledge with him in turn for just a little bit of that physique.
I’ll shoot him an invite!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Since the power company shut off power on our block at work, I have nothing to do. I'm at my other office today so I at least have internet. Therefore, here's an update on our H

2019 H Sonata Limited
Bought 3 years ago last month. A bit over 27k miles, 1/6 of which (4,550 miles) was from our epic road trip out west. Paid a little over $25k OTD. No trade in.

The good:
The car has been mechanically flawless. Not a single thing, mechanical or electronic, has failed, broken, stopped working, etc.
Power and performance are adequate for her.
Interior is wearing extremely well. No visible cracks in the leather, seat bolsters/cushions still at full firmness, none of the rubberized touch points have started to wear or peel, etc. BT connects every time.
Very comfortable ride, which is also a partial negative (see below).
Other than a slight rattle from the sunglass holder in the roof, interior rattles are basically non-existent, though a few pop up when it's very cold out.
Paint is wearing well, with just a few chips/dings at the front of the hood.
Car is returning high 20's in daily (sub)urban driving and solid mid-30's on the highway, with epic range due to the 18.5 gallon gas tank. We've seen a bit over 600 miles on a tank on our road trip.
Infotainment is decent with all the relevant info (including a compass) in the center display easy to access. Stereo, while not great, sounds better than my car. :|
Dual zone AC works well and blows a blizzard in short order.
Adaptive cruise control, auto high beams, AA/ACP, heated and cooled seats, and heated steering wheel are :impressive: features at this price point, and they all work really well.
Rear seat room is decent and trunk is usefully yuuge.
Maintenance has been pretty cheap so far, cheap oil changes, etc.
NA engine is simple, with linear throttle response, and will likely last a long time.
Buying experience was the easiest we have ever experienced. Negotiated the OTD price via email and text before we went in and were out the door in about an hour.
I haven't experienced the service department first hand, but wife has had no complaints so far.
:tits: still loves it.

The bad:
The car has zero sporting chops whatsoever. None. No fun sounds from either the engine or exhaust. It's less slow than her old Saturn Aura, but it's definitely not at all quick or fast. Tar's Cammie would wipe the floor with it.
Steering is NUMB.
Handling is dialed in for comfort and not much else. It wasn't at all fun driving through the mountains last year. It didn't embarrass it self, it just wasn't at all engaging. This is not really a flaw per se, it's just how the chassis was designed. The Koreans still have a bit of work to do to design a suspension that is both firm and confidence-inspiring while also being comfortable. They're getting there, :doe:
It has a "sport mode" which is :yeahok: as it offers zero difference in throttle mapping or shift points that I could discern.
The biggest design flaw, curiously enough, is that there is no grab handle on the inside of the trunk lid. So when you want to close the trunk you have to grab the outside of the trunk and get your fingers dirty. Definitely an odd miss considering all the other nice touches the car is packed with. One example: there are 2 interior grab handles on the front doors, one in the middle incorporated into the arm rest, and one further forward, near the hinges, that makes it easy to close the door when it's wide open without having to lean out to grab the middle handle.
It uses dino juice for oil so the oil changes are more frequent. But at only 9,xxx miles/year, it isn't that big of a deal. At least the changes are cheap.
"Some" would count the H badge stigma as a negative. We :aintcare: as the experience so far has been quite positive.

Overall, the car does exactly what it was designed to do very well. It's been reliable, easy to live with, packed with useful features and is a tremendous value. It's a great car for a :tits:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Any paint issues or concerns ? And are you garaging the vehicle ? New car smell still present ?
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 am Any paint issues or concerns ? And are you garaging the vehicle ? New car smell still present ?
Mentioned above. Paint seems to be wearing well. Couple of chips at the front of the hood. But :tits: :aintcare: about paint. She will put her purse or bags or a box on the hood ZFG, which has caused some light scratching. Can't really blame the car for that, :doe: .

Car sleeps in the garage, which is heated in the winter.

Don't remember about the smell, so I guess it's no longer present? :iono:
max225

wap wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:42 am
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 am Any paint issues or concerns ? And are you garaging the vehicle ? New car smell still present ?
Mentioned above. Paint seems to be wearing well. Couple of chips at the front of the hood. But :tits: :aintcare: about paint. She will put her purse or bags or a box on the hood ZFG, which has caused some light scratching. Can't really blame the car for that, :doe: .

10-4. Light scratches usually come out with "ultimate compound" really well just FYI. Garaging a car does more wonders than anything else. The sun at least out here completely DESTROYS vehicles... it literally turns plastics to dust in just a few short years.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:03 pm
wap wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:42 am

10-4. Light scratches usually come out with "ultimate compound" really well just FYI. Garaging a car does more wonders than anything else. The sun at least out here completely DESTROYS vehicles... it literally turns plastics to dust in just a few short years.
Yeah, some day I might buff them out, but TBH, if she :aintcare: about it, I find it difficult to care, iykwim...

I'm sure your desert sun is extremely destructive to interiors, no doubt.
max225

wap wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:03 pm

Yeah, some day I might buff them out, but TBH, if she :aintcare: about it, I find it difficult to care, iykwim...

I'm sure your desert sun is extremely destructive to interiors, no doubt.
It also turns anything painted black on the exterior to gray/white. Like wipers, rubber etc.

I try to keep my wife’s car the tsx of doom to good standards also. But it’s also much much older than your Hyundaze
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'll take dry/cracked plastics and faded trim/paint over rust any day. Most of those things are pretty simple to fix/replace, but rust is legit vehicle cancer.

I love being able to crawl under/around the S10 and loosen any nut or bolt with minimal effort. Nothing is rusted solid or rusted to the point of breaking, it makes working on it a breeze. Biggest pain is many vacuum lines are toasted from the dry climate, but even those haven't been horrible to replace.

I'll never buy a rusted vehicle. Ever.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.