Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:56 pm So I have floated the idea of a C7Z from time to time. Why? 650/650/TR6070, finally decent seats, acceptable reliability, apparently the best manual Corvette that is going to be made.

Man..........it is ROUGH out there. On an Autotrader nationwide search, there are 52 examples of a C7Z Manual Coupe available from 2016-2019. Almost all of them are Torch Red, White, Black or Yellow. All of those are deal killer colors. They also almost all have black ramz, which I think look terrible on this car. Here is my favorite..

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

$99K. "Never Revved over 3000 RPM" Got those horsepower numbers on the hood bro. :disgust:

This is really only one car out of the 52 that stands out as desirable to me...

It may be time to move on to the C8.

Edit: I missed the Vietnam Veteran floormats on the yellow one^^^^^^
Dude has a pic of himself racing the same very car on a TRACK in the background. :yikes:
I have no hots for the C7Z or whatever. Boomers are sitting cash rich with record 401ks, pensions and pay outs from SS. While their $50k homes are now worth 2M. They are in no rush to sell their toys.
max225

That's gotta be the most peak boomer vette I have ever seen. Ron fellows driving school in a matching color.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:56 pm So I have floated the idea of a C7Z from time to time. Why? 650/650/TR6070, finally decent seats, acceptable reliability, apparently the best manual Corvette that is going to be made.

Man..........it is ROUGH out there. On an Autotrader nationwide search, there are 52 examples of a C7Z Manual Coupe available from 2016-2019. Almost all of them are Torch Red, White, Black or Yellow. All of those are deal killer colors. They also almost all have black ramz, which I think look terrible on this car. Here is my favorite..

$99K. "Never Revved over 3000 RPM" Got those horsepower numbers on the hood bro. :disgust:

My dad stopped by his local Corvette specialty dealer because he's beginning to want another one as well. He's unsure C8 vs C7 as well. I'd go C7Z over a base C8, but E-Ray or Z C8 might change that.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:09 pm

Dude has a pic of himself racing the same very car on a TRACK in the background. :yikes:
I have no hots for the C7Z or whatever. Boomers are sitting cash rich with record 401ks, pensions and pay outs from SS. While their $50k homes are now worth 2M. They are in no rush to sell their toys.
If it's the same car its before he added the stripes et al, the black whatever the hell they are coming out of the front bumper, and the giant WANG. On closer inspection it is just a Ron Fellowes base C7
Last edited by Desertbreh on Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:14 pm

My dad stopped by his local Corvette specialty dealer because he's beginning to want another one as well. He's unsure C8 vs C7 as well. I'd go C7Z over a base C8, but E-Ray or Z C8 might change that.
I felt the same way about C7Z over base C8, but I'm not so sure any more.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Serious question can a C7Z even put the power down ? It’s way too much power through a single set of wheels.

C8 is priced lower than a C7Z and imo a better car. Not sure why one would even consider the Z unless it’s 50k. 100k is insane they had like 8-20k on the hood new before the c8 came out.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:23 pm Serious question can a C7Z even put the power down ? It’s way too much power through a single set of wheels.

C8 is priced lower than a C7Z and imo a better car. Not sure why one would even consider the Z unless it’s 50k. 100k is insane they had like 8-20k on the hood new before the c8 came out.
Some people find that exciting.

There's usually good options in the 60-70 range too for coupes or slightly less for convertibles.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... NE/DEFAULT
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:23 pm Serious question can a C7Z even put the power down ? It’s way too much power through a single set of wheels.

You always say this. That doesn't stop a 1967 L72 427 on skinny bias ply tires from being a kick ass car, a 69 L88 Corvette from being a kick ass car, etc. These aren't dds, nobody puts 100K miles on them, they are made to get in, start it up, listen to the powah, and maybe get a little sideways, hopefully not a lot sideways or you are then a dumb ass. I would pay 7X,000 for a desirable C7Z. It's a less exotic Viper. You just don't like the C7.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:43 pm

You always say this. That doesn't stop a 1967 L72 427 on skinny bias ply tires from being a kick ass car, a 69 L88 Corvette from being a kick ass car, etc. These aren't dds, nobody puts 100K miles on them, they are made to get in, start it up, listen to the powah, and maybe get a little sideways, hopefully not a lot sideways or you are then a dumb ass. I would pay 7X,000 for a desirable C7Z. It's a less exotic Viper. You just don't like the C7.
A 1967 WETTE is a masterpiece of design from a bygone area, when you could leave your door unlocked, were friends with your neighbors etc. America was the worlds envy in engineering/manufacturing etc. No plastic inside the interior and everything is metal/chrome/rubber.
A C7 is a C5.2 designed during the great recession to a budget within GM who was bailed out by the .gov after failing miserably.
A 10 year old plastic fantastic shouldn't be at or near MSRP. But here is my pick of the litter

Still $8X is insanity for that car.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:49 pm

A 1967 WETTE is a masterpiece of design from a bygone area, when you could leave your door unlocked, were friends with your neighbors etc. America was the worlds envy in engineering/manufacturing etc. No plastic inside the interior and everything is metal/chrome/rubber.
A C7 is a C5.2 designed during the great recession to a budget within GM who was bailed out by the .gov after failing miserably.
A 10 year old plastic fantastic shouldn't be at or near MSRP. But here is my pick of the litter

Not sure how Dale Doback and Prighozin made it into the pictures but okay.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:56 pm

:lol:
max225

right? Boomer life. I was loling a bit.
Desertbreh

A 1967 WETTE is a masterpiece of design from a bygone area, when you could leave your door unlocked, were friends with your neighbors etc. America was the worlds envy in engineering/manufacturing etc. No plastic inside the interior and everything is metal/chrome/rubber. A C7 is a C5.2

Plus another $4K for for forged Apex ramz to replace the black butthole disease. It's a nice car but another boomermobile. Chevy jacked the price of these things to the moon by

1. Getting rid of :manuel:
2. Making the the current upgrade over base unobtanium.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a powerful, high horsepower front engine manual Corvette. But as you noted and I agree these are being clutched onto by people looking for a payday. I don't think there is any doubt that the C8 is the superior vehicle dynamically, it's a 500 hp mid engine car. Boomer pricing may simply force me to that side of the equation.
Desertbreh

I think you are disrespecting the LT4/TR6070 combination more than you should but again, you just don't like the C7, which is fine. I think under heavy cross-examination it is really just their Boomer owners pissing you off.
Desertbreh

Or the AWACS
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:07 pm

Or the AWACS
Forgot about the plane too. Needs a screaming bald eagle too.

What about a C7 GS? Or are they :fullretard: too. Obviously less power but you still get the Z looks
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:09 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:07 pm

Or the AWACS

What about a C7 GS? Or are they :fullretard: too
C8>C7GS. Gotta have the big dick engine
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:11 pm

But :manuel:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Saw a bald eagle when I was leaving my gym last week and on Tuesday I saw one up in Seattle :fuckyeah: :murica:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yep if you're gonna have the more expensive brakes/tires/oil changes you might as well have the big engine. That's exactly what I explained to my dad as well.
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:17 pm

But :manuel:
I had a C6GS. It's not enough of a leap.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I will join the camp of the big dick engine is pointless. Don’t C7Zs also have major cooling problems? I am also a guy that moved on from a Corvette to a 200 hp highschooler car so go ahead and ignore me.

I still have that 10% of hope that there will be some sort of swansong manual C8.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:59 pm I will join the camp of the big dick engine is pointless. Don’t C7Zs also have major cooling problems? I am also a guy that moved on from a Corvette to a 200 hp highschooler car so go ahead and ignore me.

I still have that 10% of hope that there will be some sort of swansong manual C8.
Ist bolded: ON THE TRACK. Not tracking a $75K car.
2nd bolded: ME TOO.
Desertbreh

I am looking at the C7Z for the same reason that Gberg got a manual M3. Last chance for a high horsepower manual car. It's not practical (except the hatch, which is amazingly practical as any corvette owner knows) it sucks gas, it doesn't "put down the power," and to further compound things they appear to be owned mainly by boomers who "know what they have."
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm I am looking at the C7Z for the same reason that Gberg got a manual M3. Last chance for a high horsepower manual car. It's not practical (except the hatch, which is amazingly practical as any corvette owner knows) it sucks gas, it doesn't "put down the power," and to further compound things they appear to be owned mainly by boomers who "know what they have."
I think you are right that the overheating problems are on the track but it’s still kind of gives me pause considering the car was built for the track.

That said, it is a sweet car, and if it tickles your fancy and prices get into a reasonable realm, I’d say go for it.