Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am Ah balls. Yeah way too small for the child fortresses that are rear facing car seats.
It's unreal how big those things are.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:41 pm Image

Back seat in the Alfa was pretty small, I’d be pretty uncomfortable sitting behind myself for more than 30 minutes. I could ride behind myself in the 328i all day. I’m tall but my legs are relatively short and I sit close to the steering wheel too.
Ah balls. Yeah way too small for the child fortresses that are rear facing car seats.
It's like... :mk6: -esque in size by my estimation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:27 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:59 am

Bolt a seatback to the floor and sit on the carpet. Stay positive dude
I mean, I did own a Miata and modded it for that, certainly possible. I'm just way more comfy in the 86 :doe: , although I do miss a 'vert/targa sometimes. I think Eric and Brad have the right idea with the BMW 'verts as they can actually seat four and offer a lot of the fun. A manual F80 'vert would be a dope daily.
Also, S2000 is just way out of my league :doe: I cam sooo close to trading my C5 for one back in like 2017 with a guy in my neighborhood but he backed out at the last minute. At this point, while they're cool, I'd (obviously) rather drop $30K+ on a brand new 86 that has a warranty and outperforms it in every way other than not being a convertible and the redline.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am

Ah balls. Yeah way too small for the child fortresses that are rear facing car seats.
:dat:

The caddy and alfa are about a class size down in rear seat space when compared to a 3 series which is why they got dq'ed when I was looking.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:27 am

I mean, I did own a Miata and modded it for that, certainly possible. I'm just way more comfy in the 86 :doe: , although I do miss a 'vert/targa sometimes. I think Eric and Brad have the right idea with the BMW 'verts as they can actually seat four and offer a lot of the fun. A manual F80 'vert would be a dope daily.
Also, S2000 is just way out of my league :doe: I cam sooo close to trading my C5 for one back in like 2017 with a guy in my neighborhood but he backed out at the last minute. At this point, while they're cool, I'd (obviously) rather drop $30K+ on a brand new 86 that has a warranty and outperforms it in every way other than not being a convertible and the redline.
they were always cool, but always overpriced even compared to new miata's. miata is 90% of the experience for half the money. And ive driven them, and yes the chassis is stiff, and great and objectively better, and the shifter is what god had in mind for manual transmissions, etc etc. But, money exists.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:44 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:40 am

they were always cool, but always overpriced even compared to new miata's. miata is 90% of the experience for half the money. And ive driven them, and yes the chassis is stiff, and great and objectively better, and the shifter is what god had in mind for manual transmissions, etc etc. But, money exists.
I disagree on the Miata comparison, the S2000 is another league. Sure, Miatas can be modded, but the S2K has performance suspension out of the gate and a race car-esque engine. Miatas have none of that.

But agreed in sentiment. S2000s were quite compelling at $15-20K of 10 years ago pricing and I wish I would've bought one. I could've had an S2000 for the $17K I bought my Corvette for and made 50% profit, plus checked a car off my bucket list. But having test driven an S2000 and a C5 in the same day, it's tough to say no to the V8 when you're a 25 year old dumbass. C5 was also a lot more practical as a DD.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:49 am

I disagree on the Miata comparison, the S2000 is another league. Sure, Miatas can be modded, but the S2K has performance suspension out of the gate and a race car-esque engine. Miatas have none of that.

But agreed in sentiment. S2000s were quite compelling at $15-20K of 10 years ago pricing and I wish I would've bought one. I could've had an S2000 for the $17K I bought my Corvette for and made 50% profit, plus checked a car off my bucket list. But having test driven an S2000 and a C5 in the same day, it's tough to say no to the V8 when you're a 25 year old dumbass. C5 was also a lot more practical as a DD.
I wish I had my S2K back! 21 year old Jeremy didn’t know how good he had it getting a 30k mile unmolested S2k in the best color sub $12k!

Ah for it to be 2010 again
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

yea, its better, but it was a 'tweener' between the miata and a cockster for cockster money...for a honda... IE if one day I had decided I had S2K money I also had cockster money and I'm getting the midengine cockster experience every time.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:00 pm

yea, its better, but it was a 'tweener' between the miata and a cockster for cockster money...for a honda... IE if one day I had decided I had S2K money I also had cockster money and I'm getting the midengine cockster experience every time.
Agreed. A Coxster or Corvette is the used play here unless you're a 'collector'.

Also, after driving a Guilia for a week, I was really just loving the 86 last night. I know feeling everything in a car isn't for most in this :truk: world we live in, but man, I love it. Guilia is a very enjoyable car to drive but it's nowhere close to a real sports car where everything is engaging.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:12 pm

Agreed. A Coxster or Corvette is the used play here unless you're a 'collector'.

Also, after driving a Guilia for a week, I was really just loving the 86 last night. I know feeling everything in a car isn't for most in this :truk: world we live in, but man, I love it. Guilia is a very enjoyable car to drive but it's nowhere close to a real sports car where everything is engaging.
:nice: preach!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:42 am Ah balls. Yeah way too small for the child fortresses that are rear facing car seats.
Our last infant seat was a Graco. It seemed ok. Well new crash reports came out and that used to be ranked high and now it’s awful. So we got a new one since we needed a new stroller anyway, went with Uppababy since they’re high reviewed. Good lord this infant seat is enormous and weighs a fucking ton. How these are ranked so high I will never know. But it’s easily bigger than my son’s convertible seat. And that’s also a behemoth.

I can’t wait until he can go into a more simple booster seat. He’s nearly 4yo so it’s not too far off.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:25 pm

Our last infant seat was a Graco. It seemed ok. Well new crash reports came out and that used to be ranked high and now it’s awful. So we got a new one since we needed a new stroller anyway, went with Uppababy since they’re high reviewed. Good lord this infant seat is enormous and weighs a fucking ton. How these are ranked so high I will never know. But it’s easily bigger than my son’s convertible seat. And that’s also a behemoth.

I can’t wait until he can go into a more simple booster seat. He’s nearly 4yo so it’s not too far off.
The bolded is what :triggered: me about this entire industry. I think it's half a big sham to get people to continually blow insane money on this stuff as obviously everyone is very concerned about their kid's safety. But are they REALLY safer in a 2022 seat versus a 2024? Hard to know.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:43 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:39 am

:dat:

The caddy and alfa are about a class size down in rear seat space when compared to a 3 series which is why they got dq'ed when I was looking.
Yeah it’s out. Realistically I’d never buy one anyway due to premium fuel but too bad nonetheless.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:27 pm

The bolded is what :triggered: me about this entire industry. I think it's half a big sham to get people to continually blow insane money on this stuff as obviously everyone is very concerned about their kid's safety. But are they REALLY safer in a 2022 seat versus a 2024? Hard to know.
Beats me they look the damn same just the new one is way bulkier and harder to use than the Graco.

We dumped our old stroller though. Had to buy another. And now none of the strollers have adapters to work with Graco… they all used to but not anymore. So it forced us to an entirely new ecosystem. I guess we could have bought the same stroller that we used to have off marketplace or whatever but we didn’t like it much anyway.

Yeah I dunno. We buy stuff used. There’s no point in blowing tons of cash on new baby gear imo. They size out of it all so quickly. At least I’ll be able to sell the pos stroller for close to what I bought it for.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:25 pm Our last infant seat was a Graco. It seemed ok. Well new crash reports came out and that used to be ranked high and now it’s awful. So we got a new one since we needed a new stroller anyway, went with Uppababy since they’re high reviewed. Good lord this infant seat is enormous and weighs a fucking ton. How these are ranked so high I will never know. But it’s easily bigger than my son’s convertible seat. And that’s also a behemoth.

Don't watch booster seat crash videos. :yikes:

My son is going on 6 and we still have him in a full harness in one of these - https://us.britax.com/shop/car-seats/gr ... r-car-seat
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:31 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:27 pm

Beats me they look the damn same just the new one is way bulkier and harder to use than the Graco.

We dumped our old stroller though. Had to buy another. And now none of the strollers have adapters to work with Graco… they all used to but not anymore. So it forced us to an entirely new ecosystem. I guess we could have bought the same stroller that we used to have off marketplace or whatever but we didn’t like it much anyway.

Yeah I dunno. We buy stuff used. There’s no point in blowing tons of cash on new baby gear imo. They size out of it all so quickly. At least I’ll be able to sell the pos stroller for close to what I bought it for.
Yeah, used seems like the way to go for sure. So much plastic to go straight to the landfill.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

People look at those ? :aintcare:
max225

Hell yea. A 2700# car specifically designed with FUN in mind and everything else being second nature is always going to win in this department.

I drove next to a BRZ this am and it seemed like a go cart compared to my towering behemoth filled with lithium.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I saw another C8 at the Costco gas station last night. Crappy wheels...the square exhaust, WHITE....:flaccid: Everything has to be just right with these or it's a no go.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:43 pm

Hell yea. A 2700# car specifically designed with FUN in mind and everything else being second nature is always going to win in this department.

I drove next to a BRZ this am and it seemed like a go cart compared to my towering behemoth filled with lithium.
And your IX is puny compared to my not-a- :truk:

Dichotomy in the fleet is the way
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm I saw another C8 at the Costco gas station last night. Crappy wheels...the square exhaust, WHITE....:flaccid: Everything has to be just right with these or it's a no go.
How tall were the white socks?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm I saw another C8 at the Costco gas station last night. Crappy wheels...the square exhaust, WHITE....:flaccid: Everything has to be just right with these or it's a no go.
I find every C8 wheel to be pretty terrible. Z06 included.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:05 pm
How tall were the white socks?
The stereotype was quite bad. The guy had no VISIBLE white socks, but it's not summer yet.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

I think the proportions of the C8 are off. So it only looks good if the color and all is just right.
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:24 pm
I think the proportions of the C8 are off. So it only looks good if the color and all is just right.
Yep. Which is kind of a turnoff if you're shelling out $85K.