Gberg's Covid Placitis?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

But what should I do? :crang:

Do nothing and hold out for a "fun" car like a 987 Gayman S, ND2 Miata, etc.
43%
Try for RS3
14%
Tesla Model 3 Performance
No votes
Something else I'm forgetting?
14%
Toaster
29%

Total votes: 7
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I was told to create a thread so here it is. It's been almost 5 years combined with both R's so I definitely have a case of placitis and with the used car market being what it is right now the thought of trading in the R has been on my mind for a few months. I'll likely be able to get more for it on trade than what I paid for it. Of course, this means I have to replace it with something.

New job has a 3 mile commute each way and the short commute has put doubts in my mind about the long term reliability of the R seeing as how I had a similar commute in my Mk6 and that car was a disaster. All that turning off and on so quick, fluids never getting up to temp, and so on. With such a short commute I've thought about electrification and the Model 3 is the only one that really interests me.

With a short commute I've also thought about going the complete other way and getting something with lousy fuel economy. I'm really liking the new RS3 but it means no more :manuel: which I'm still :notsure: on and who knows about availability.

S4 and M340i look alright but are maybe a bit...boring?

Mk8 R, not interested.

The option that makes the most sense is to do absolutely nothing and keep the alpo R. Drive it and :aintcare: since I still have about 4 years left on the b2b warranty. It's also just about paid off so that means I could move to a 2 car lyfe and maybe get a 987 Gayman S, ND2 Miata, and so on. However, the market would need to settle first before I buy any kind of second car as obviously prices are a bit insane.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Keep R for warranty + paid off. Save payment in an account that will be used to buy a truly dedicated fun car when market settles.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What are you looking to do ? I would say drive the cars in question and report back. Ev life is very different from Ice life … you got to experience it yourself.

I’m happy to share my Tesla knowledge with you as I have done way too much research on this.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Ioniq 5
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Vintage electric bicycle
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:57 pm What are you looking to do ? I would say drive the cars in question and report back. Ev life is very different from Ice life … you got to experience it yourself.

I’m happy to share my Tesla knowledge with you as I have done way too much research on this.
Since I can get more than what I paid, kind of use it to springboard into a nicer car. I haven’t driven a Tesla yet but I’ve been a passenger plenty of times. As far as build quality goes my brother in laws 3 doesn’t look any different from any other car. Panel gaps and whatnot that everyone complains about look fine.

And I guess the only real requirement would be 4 doors or else the answer would be M2C.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:52 pm Keep R for warranty + paid off. Save payment in an account that will be used to buy a truly dedicated fun car when market settles.
It’s the smart move but fighting placitis is a tough battle.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:07 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:57 pm What are you looking to do ? I would say drive the cars in question and report back. Ev life is very different from Ice life … you got to experience it yourself.

Since I can get more than what I paid, kind of use it to springboard into a nicer car. I haven’t driven a Tesla yet but I’ve been a passenger plenty of times. As far as build quality goes my brother in laws 3 doesn’t look any different from any other car. Panel gaps and whatnot that everyone complains about look fine.

And I guess the only real requirement would be 4 doors or else the answer would be M2C.
Tesla raised the prices 7k on the model 3 in the last 4 months. One thing to keep in mind.

Also this is how you do range in a Tesla
Advertised range is starting point 300 miles * .7 as you’re not supposed to go above 85% charge and below 15%
210 miles * .7 as most dont drive 55 on freeway and not use ac.
147 miles. So general rule of thumb is real world usable mileage daily is 1/2 of advertised.
Supercharges cost ~30 cents per kw… and you get 3 miles per kw so that’s about 10’cents a mile do your :math: for home charging. For most it is cheaper but it is about a 25mpg equivalent.

Quality is fine especially on the 3, as it is the least complex of the bunch.

Overall if I was shopping for a 50k performance sedan I would get nothing else.
Depreciation is extremely low also.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Cadillac CT5 Blackwing
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I'd keep it, ride out the warranty, and enjoy the no payment life with your sights set on a Cayman S.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:03 am

Tesla raised the prices 7k on the model 3 in the last 4 months. One thing to keep in mind.

Advertised range is starting point 300 miles * .7 as you’re not supposed to go above 85% charge and below 15%
147 miles. So general rule of thumb is real world usable mileage daily is 1/2 of advertised.
Supercharges cost ~30 cents per kw… and you get 3 miles per kw so that’s about 10’cents a mile do your :math: for home charging. For most it is cheaper but it is about a 25mpg equivalent.

I didn’t know about the big price jump.

I’ve gotta ask what kind of range they get in their 3 LR. They take it everywhere though and haven’t had any issues. I’m assuming most of the range hit on the performance comes from the bigger wheels?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:03 pm

Cadillac CT5 Blackwing
Can’t find the link for it anymore but there was a “used” CT4 Blackwing with 42 miles for $95k. A :dillerman: can’t change his stripes.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:24 pm I'd keep it, ride out the warranty, and enjoy the no payment life with your sights set on a Cayman S.
I’m scared to even look at what the Caymans are going for now.

It’s probably :mindblown:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:29 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:03 am

I’ve gotta ask what kind of range they get in their 3 LR. They take it everywhere though and haven’t had any issues. I’m assuming most of the range hit on the performance comes from the bigger wheels?
I would only go 18's on the 3, the other wheels rob you about 5-10% of range. And the 18s without the plastic covers are actually great looking wheels. I don't understand why tesla keeps putting pizza cutters on their vehicles. It is :disgust:

The performance also has stickier tires as well + bigger brakes/Rotors. Drive the LR and see if that is fast enough for you. I can tell you that ANY EV is/feels faster than ANY ICE car especially when you're just comparing straight line speed.

The current pricing on Model 3 LR is 49,995 (With 18"s) + Color ($1k) +$1200 destination fee.

Also it is hard to find "honest" Tesla people. Almost all of them either don't know how their "range" works or straight up lie. I.E they will just quote the advertised range and tell you it costs $4 to fill up. When they in fact only go from say 60% charge to 80%.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The 18's with the plastic removed really do look fantastic. Small wheels FTW.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

One thing to mention is actually TESLA tires. The performance tires on pizza cutters cost upwards of 2k for a set of 4... and they last 20k miles... so that means... you use 10cent PER MILE in tires... same amount as electricity.

however the 18s, cost $600... a whopping 1/3rd of the performance tires. Literally the stupid wheels make a tesla 2x as expensive to operate.

I need to get a life... god damn.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:44 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:29 pm

I would only go 18's on the 3, the other wheels rob you about 5-10% of range. And the 18s without the plastic covers are actually great looking wheels. I don't understand why tesla keeps putting pizza cutters on their vehicles. It is :disgust:

The performance also has stickier tires as well + bigger brakes/Rotors. Drive the LR and see if that is fast enough for you. I can tell you that ANY EV is/feels faster than ANY ICE car especially when you're just comparing straight line speed.

The current pricing on Model 3 LR is 49,995 (With 18"s) + Color ($1k) +$1200 destination fee.

Also it is hard to find "honest" Tesla people. Almost all of them either don't know how their "range" works or straight up lie. I.E they will just quote the advertised range and tell you it costs $4 to fill up. When they in fact only go from say 60% charge to 80%.
I am curious to know just how fun the LR is to drive compared to the performance. As far as the wheels go, I’d probably swap them out for summer/winter like I do with the R right now if I were to go performance model. Or just go back to no seasons year round. :iono: But you’re right, the 18’s without the covers are nice.

Then again, RS3 is similar price with glorious 5 cylinder noises. I’m going to stop by the Audi :dillerman: Saturday to see if they have any info. Won’t have time to check out a Tesla store this weekend.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:31 pm One thing to mention is actually TESLA tires. The performance tires on pizza cutters cost upwards of 2k for a set of 4... and they last 20k miles... so that means... you use 10cent PER MILE in tires... same amount as electricity.

however the 18s, cost $600... a whopping 1/3rd of the performance tires. Literally the stupid wheels make a tesla 2x as expensive to operate.

You really have thought this all out. :lol:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:31 pm One thing to mention is actually TESLA tires. The performance tires on pizza cutters cost upwards of 2k for a set of 4... and they last 20k miles... so that means... you use 10cent PER MILE in tires... same amount as electricity.

I am trying to keep my :plac: itis as predicable as possible and cover all sides. Happy to share as mentioned. You should certainly drive the Audi and the LR back to back.

The “performance” is going to faster straight line than any audi product. However the interior on the audis is far nicer! And the Audi will sound and feel nicer …

Bear in mind the Tesla will need nothing from maintenance, unlike the Audi … which will need filters/oil changes/dsg services.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So I drove a manual S4 on the tail of the dragon this week…man, that was a really good car. The sounds it makes and the power delivery (it was just stage 1 + exhaust) were really awesome. Very Motorsport sound.

It does feel a little bigger and heavier than my 328i, worse chassis than the BMW but better drivetrain.

I would check one out though if you still want a manual.

I haven’t really looked at car prices because I’ve just given up for now in this market… could you get into a new or close to it M3?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:53 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:36 pm

I am trying to keep my :plac: itis as predicable as possible and cover all sides. Happy to share as mentioned. You should certainly drive the Audi and the LR back to back.

The “performance” is going to faster straight line than any audi product. However the interior on the audis is far nicer! And the Audi will sound and feel nicer …

Bear in mind the Tesla will need nothing from maintenance, unlike the Audi … which will need filters/oil changes/dsg services.

I read in the autorags something about lubing the brake calipers as a maintenance item on a Tesla. They claimed there was no real savings in regards to maintenance though. Might have been C&D.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:50 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:53 pm

I read in the autorags something about lubing the brake calipers as a maintenance item on a Tesla. They claimed there was no real savings in regards to maintenance though. Might have been C&D.
https://www.tesla.com/support/car-maintenance

Impossible. EV's simply do not have the same levels of maintenance. It looks like brake fluid and cabin air filters only. And brakes last forever essentially. It is one of the biggest selling points IMO, especially if you compare to maintenance heavy vehicles.

No need to send a service advisor to space on virgin galactic to give thanks.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:10 pm So I drove a manual S4 on the tail of the dragon this week…man, that was a really good car. The sounds it makes and the power delivery (it was just stage 1 + exhaust) were really awesome. Very Motorsport sound.

It does feel a little bigger and heavier than my 328i, worse chassis than the BMW but better drivetrain.

I haven’t really looked at car prices because I’ve just given up for now in this market… could you get into a new or close to it M3?
New M3 is pushing it and I’m in the camp that finds them spectacularly ugly. Maybe in black it’s not so bad but that nose is just :nope:

F80 prices don’t seem that great.
Last edited by Gberg2119 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:10 pm So I drove a manual S4 on the tail of the dragon this week…man, that was a really good car. The sounds it makes and the power delivery (it was just stage 1 + exhaust) were really awesome. Very Motorsport sound.

New M3 is pushing it and I’m in the camp that finds them spectacularly ugly. Maybe I’m black it’s not so bad but that nose is just :nope:

F80 prices don’t seem that great.
Yeah, they have gone up a lot. In 2020 they were a lot of car for the money.

I would check out an S4 though, I really liked that car a lot more than I thought I was (granted this was a 2013).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Obviously a Cayman would be awesome, ND2 as well. BUT I always have to be the one debbie downer to offer a bit of caution/advice on acquiring a third car...

If you drive quite a bit, you have garage space for all of the cars, you enjoy cleaning/wrenching, sure, having a 'tool for each job' is pretty awesome. A GorF and a Cayman would be quite :megusta: in my opinion.

That said, it is 2X the maintenance, 2X the sunk costs like insurance and registration/taxes. For me, it was more a source of stress/guilt that both cars weren't being driven enough or taken care of well enough.

I'm sure I will do it again at some point, if I ever drive significantly more and have better car storage, but it can also be a headache to own multiple cars.