JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 pm Volt would be SICK for a suburban commuter. Charge at home, drive to the train station, and then drive home using no fuel.
Yeah that would be ideal. Wouldn’t even need to charge it every night. A lot of PHEV vehicles are still pretty expensive.
1st gen volts can be had under 15k. There seem to be pretty few reports of battery deg. The first gen was about 35 ev obly, I think the second gen is 55-60. We are strongly considering one for our next car in the near future once the house finances settle down.

The Kia Niro is also a phev, newer and can be had used in the upper teens low 20s.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

rockchops wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:35 am
Johnny_P wrote:
Yeah that would be ideal. Wouldn’t even need to charge it every night. A lot of PHEV vehicles are still pretty expensive.
1st gen volts can be had under 15k. There seem to be pretty few reports of battery deg. The first gen was about 35 ev obly, I think the second gen is 55-60. We are strongly considering one for our next car in the near future once the house finances settle down.

The Kia Niro is also a phev, newer and can be had used in the upper teens low 20s.
Gen 1 Volts require premium, Gen 2 Volts do not. Plus the added range and removal of capacitive touch controls from the Gen 1, and I would only consider a Gen 2.

I loved ours, it's just small inside. Works as a great commuter and trip car, but not the best hauler (of things or people)
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

JP, are you shopping for a :haus: ? When does that happen?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:29 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 pm Volt would be SICK for a suburban commuter. Charge at home, drive to the train station, and then drive home using no fuel.
My friend often got 70mi out of suburb driving in his 2nd gen Volt.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:07 am

My friend often got 70mi out of suburb driving in his 2nd gen Volt.
Yep, in 70ish degree temps without any HVAC on, ours could do 60-70 miles pretty easily with stop and go and the L mode (heavy regen).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 am
max225 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 pm

The thing about the 3 cyl minis is that they deliver peak torque at 1600rpm so they don’t feel like an absolute shitbox since the useable power band start right off idle.

They are ok otherwise. Clearly 3 cyl means 3 plugs 1 less cylinder to fail

Fun fact that engine is used in the BMW i8
The fuel requirement is dumb. But yeah I mean they’re not worlds slower than an S and sound better so. Not a bad pick.
I am actually not 100% positive they need premium. I know my JCW does because of the specific tune. But I believe the "lesser" versions can run on regular or 89 in my recollection.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'm sure they've gone up even more than everything else. A used Volt was likely an awesome buy 2-5 years ago and much less so now. Does the train station have EV charging? Some of our park and rides do, as far as I understand, you just get free juice and the best spot all day because you happen to be rich enough to own an EV.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:58 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 am

The fuel requirement is dumb. But yeah I mean they’re not worlds slower than an S and sound better so. Not a bad pick.
I am actually not 100% positive they need premium. I know my JCW does because of the specific tune. But I believe the "lesser" versions can run on regular or 89 in my recollection.
Prior to my BMW being tuned I used 87 and it was totally fine. Also use 87 in the Jeep which is turbo. :iono: I think these modern cars can run on whatever unless you're talking about something pretty racey i.e. the JCW, GT350, M3, super hopped up stuff.

I would bet money that 50% or more of 3-cyl Mini owners have never hit that 93 button in their lives.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:11 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:58 am
Prior to my BMW being tuned I used 87 and it was totally fine. Also use 87 in the Jeep which is turbo. :iono: I think these modern cars can run on whatever unless you're talking about something pretty racey i.e. the JCW, GT350, M3, super hopped up stuff.

I would bet money that 50% or more of 3-cyl Mini owners have never hit that 93 button in their lives.
Yea most cars *can* run on donkey piss without any issues and plenty of :derp: s filling them up with whatever is cheapest.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:11 pm

Yea most cars *can* run on donkey piss without any issues and plenty of :derp: s filling them up with whatever is cheapest.
Modern knock detection is fantastic, there's no NEED to run anything beyond donkey piss because OEMs know :derp: will put anything in any car and they want to safeguard against engines popping.

THAT SAID, running 87 in a performance oriented vehicle like your JCW would probably be pretty :flaccid: Engine will run, but be down quite a bit in power. At that point, buy a different vehicle.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Tar wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 am JP, are you shopping for a :haus: ? When does that happen?
Been looking since October or something. Hardly any stock here in the sub 600 range that looks appealing to us. We are in no rush just sick of our small house and lack of a yard for toddler / dog.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

JP are you attending radwood?
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:53 pm JP are you attending radwood?
Oh they’re doing it again? I probably won’t go but seems like a neat event.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:24 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:53 pm JP are you attending radwood?
I believe it's tomorrow. I've got a couple friends that will be there.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:24 pm

I believe it's tomorrow. I've got a couple friends that will be there.
Ah. Yeah can’t go. I won’t have a car. Lisa took the kiddo to her parents house.
Johnny_P

Hybrids man. They do everything better.

Sitting at a light or in stopped traffic, 97 degree day, engine off, and the AC still blowing ice cubes is just a different level. I really can’t wait to own an EV.

Maybe if I need a train station beater I’ll look for a Leaf or some shitty EV.

Also the balloon tires on this car. Fam. Yes. I can blast any of Philly’s shittiest roads without major concern of bending a wheel (which I’ve done in every car I’ve owned). There are so many land mine potholes all over right now it’s mind blowing. Coupled with the road cuts for sewer/water/gas repair connections, replace projects that don’t re-level manholes, etc. A sporty car is a waste in this entire area.

And it’s not just the city. All the burbs are shit like this too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:37 pm Hybrids man. They do everything better.

Sitting at a light or in stopped traffic, 97 degree day, engine off, and the AC still blowing ice cubes is just a different level. I really can’t wait to own an EV.

Maybe if I need a train station beater I’ll look for a Leaf or some shitty EV.

Also the balloon tires on this car. Fam. Yes. I can blast any of Philly’s shittiest roads without major concern of bending a wheel (which I’ve done in every car I’ve owned). There are so many land mine potholes all over right now it’s mind blowing. Coupled with the road cuts for sewer/water/gas repair connections, replace projects that don’t re-level manholes, etc. A sporty car is a waste in this entire area.

And it’s not just the city. All the burbs are shit like this too.
Huh. The AC in our Volt was not great. They must have made progress in EV AC systems :notbad:

Road infrastructure is crumbling everywhere, I believe it's a big part of why people are shifting to CUVs and whatnot. Balloon tires FTW
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm

Modern knock detection is fantastic, there's no NEED to run anything beyond donkey piss because OEMs know :derp: will put anything in any car and they want to safeguard against engines popping.

THAT SAID, running 87 in a performance oriented vehicle like your JCW would probably be pretty :flaccid: Engine will run, but be down quite a bit in power. At that point, buy a different vehicle.
When I returned my Camaro SS to Hertz recently, I gave it to the new guy with a fresh fill of 93.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So I'm taking a bit of a generic poll. What is the tendency of your women to curb the ramz on a low profile tire setup?
And do they even feel bad or notice?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:23 pm

When I returned my Camaro SS to Hertz recently, I gave it to the new guy with a fresh fill of 93.
Did you slap the roof and say "got 'er filled up with the good stuff for ya" when the attendant came to greet you?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:17 pm

Did you slap the roof and say "got 'er filled up with the good stuff for ya" when the attendant came to greet you?
I did not. I'm also a dumbshit for doing that but that's my level of OCD.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:22 pm So I'm taking a bit of a generic poll. What is the tendency of your women to curb the ramz on a low profile tire setup?
And do they even feel bad or notice?
My wife doesn't curb wheels but she has taken out a few front bumpers in parking lot scenarios over the years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:26 pm

All good brother, that next renter will be impressed with the car's throttle response. Not all heroes wear capes.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:43 pm

All good brother, that next renter will be impressed with the car's throttle response. Not all heroes wear capes.
:bow:
max225

Why can’t one fill up the car with the recommended fuel when returning it ? And is this deserving of a medal or something ?! Thought everyone did this. Like how cheap can you be motherfucker if you don’t.