Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:25 am

:dat: and I personally don’t mind em.
I was just pointing out :tits: irrational hate on random vehicles.
:notwrong:

For some reason mine hates Ford Crown Victorias more than all. Fortunately, I don't want one.
Having had one until 400k miles I agree. It is a universally hated car. Only one of my friends likes it because he was impressed the with the mileage on it.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:25 am

:dat: and I personally don’t mind em.
I was just pointing out :tits: irrational hate on random vehicles.
:notwrong:

For some reason mine hates Ford Crown Victorias more than all. Fortunately, I don't want one.
Cop paranoia
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Just put a new in dash cupholder into the S4, but the light fell out so I'll have to take everything back out again soon because it's gonna bother me to high heaven not having the cup icon glowing red. Also put a new factory HU in that has a working CD player. As soon as I plugged it in a "Wayne/Sublime" burned CD popped out. Winning.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Those monthly New Development Team meetings... For the sake of corporate security, we think it's better if we have the next meeting at the office. That means you too, Chris.

max225

I’m going to make a bold statement …. But I feel like given latest products from Ford.. they will be once again the most innovative and interesting us auto maker.

Fca had that crown for the last 5 years … Ford will for the next 5.

Unless GM makes something nicer than a trailblazer :disgust:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 pm Those monthly New Development Team meetings... For the sake of corporate security, we think it's better if we have the next meeting at the office. That means you too, Chris.

:lol:

I just saw my first Mach E in the wild tonight..... its really not bad looking at all but they should have never never slapped the Mustang taillights and moniker on that thing....
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:03 pm I’m going to make a bold statement …. But I feel like given latest products from Ford.. they will be once again the most innovative and interesting us auto maker.

:dat:

Couldn’t agree more
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Also why must Raceseng release more nice products to tempt me :wasteful:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:45 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 pm Those monthly New Development Team meetings... For the sake of corporate security, we think it's better if we have the next meeting at the office. That means you too, Chris.

I just saw my first Mach E in the wild tonight..... its really not bad looking at all but they should have never never slapped the Mustang taillights and moniker on that thing....
We’re still talking about that right now :doe:

Genius marketing move if you ask me.

I do agree with Max… Bronco, Mach-E, Maverick are all epic and they have many other solid choices like Bronco Sport, Mustang… E-F150 seems promising as well.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:03 pm I’m going to make a bold statement …. But I feel like given latest products from Ford.. they will be once again the most innovative and interesting us auto maker.

There's nothing that "innovative" about what Ford has done, it's just bold product moves that hit right at the heart of the market at the right time. Off-road vehicles have been around forever, same with small trucks. The only thing remarkable about the Lightning is how normal and unremarkable it is for an EV (that's a compliment). Partially luck, partially big balls It's pretty remarkable, but nothing revolutionary. Ford will likely be the most successful (as measured by sales and market share) in the next 5 years, but I think GM is going to have a pretty :impressive: EV lineup that'll put others on notice. And Ford's not going to take that lying down. I'm actually optimistic that we could see some great innovation stemming from a century-long rivalry between GM and Ford Nothing is better for Innovation than competition.

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:32 am
Irish wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:45 pm

We’re still talking about that right now :doe:

Genius marketing move if you ask me.

I do agree with Max… Bronco, Mach-E, Maverick are all epic and they have many other solid choices like Bronco Sport, Mustang… E-F150 seems promising as well.
They might have the most unique and perfectly target product line ups in the industry. It's going to pay major dividends for the company. I e always been down on Ford, but not now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:11 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 am
They might have the most unique and perfectly target product line ups in the industry. It's going to pay major dividends for the company. I e always been down on Ford, but not now.
The only thing I'm down on about Ford is their inability to launch a product without missteps.

I'd totally rock a Ranger right now. Great powertrain IMO for a midsizer. And the Maverick has me intrigued.
Yea, that's the only downside. They can't seem to launch a product successfully lately at all. BUT, they've been building cars for over 100 years, they'll get there. I just wouldn't buy a first model year.

The Maverick is super intriguing. If it could tow the boat, I'd seriously consider one. The only good thing about the Ranger is the power train, but the next Ranger should be right on the horizon and based on Ford's track record of new product, it'll probably be great.

The next Colorado is coming in a year, and will also be pretty awesome with the 2.7. That's what I'm waiting for. Then the new Tacoma. The smaller than fullsize truck segment is going to get pretty dang :impressive: in short order. :excited:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

As someone who doesn’t need to tow, the Maverick is super interesting, cheap and efficient enough to be an NFG daily that is great for biking/house shit and leaves room for a fun car. I wish it was :manuel: but it’s 2021… :ohwell:
max225

Detroit wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:08 am

There's nothing that "innovative" about what Ford has done, it's just bold product moves that hit right at the heart of the market at the right time. Off-road vehicles have been around forever, same with small trucks. The only thing remarkable about the Lightning is how normal and unremarkable it is for an EV (that's a compliment). Partially luck, partially big balls It's pretty remarkable, but nothing revolutionary. Ford will likely be the most successful (as measured by sales and market share) in the next 5 years, but I think GM is going to have a pretty :impressive: EV lineup that'll put others on notice. And Ford's not going to take that lying down. I'm actually optimistic that we could see some great innovation stemming from a century-long rivalry between GM and Ford Nothing is better for Innovation than competition.

:popcorn:
Yea the hummer ev is really interesting to me, except for the enormous size. If there was a smaller one… and I’m sure there will be it would be my top taco replacement contender.

But that will likely be 2025 if I had to guess.
max225

So yea about Ford the launch… Bronco dudes are furious right now because some orders are being pushed into 23 (color ht).

Perhaps I am just too used to watch all this without expectations … JL was late af 2018 model was made well into when most had 2019s…
Tesla model 3 super late etc …
And the list is endless …
New especially brand new models are always late I can’t say I have seen anything to the market that was actually on time.

Bronco won’t be in full swing until mid 22 if I had to guess. And some of these guys have been waiting for 5 years. :wtf:

I would put in order today if it wasn’t for running costs. The one I want is rated at 17/17 and I doubt it’ll even get that. I filled up at $4.50 yesterday and it is only going up from here. $200 fill ups are not my cup of tea. And now I’m generating my own electricity I want something with more flexibility than dinosaurs.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:53 am As someone who doesn’t need to tow, the Maverick is super interesting, cheap and efficient enough to be an NFG daily that is great for biking/house shit and leaves room for a fun car. I wish it was :manuel: but it’s 2021… :ohwell:
Yea a n/a 2.5+ engine would be cool to have in a fwd “work” truck.
max225

I never understood the need to fly a flag… but now it makes sense
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:53 am As someone who doesn’t need to tow, the Maverick is super interesting, cheap and efficient enough to be an NFG daily that is great for biking/house shit and leaves room for a fun car. I wish it was :manuel: but it’s 2021… :ohwell:
It's unfortunate, but perhaps later down the line with a Maverick ST or RS?

It'd be cool if Ford threw that new Bronco Getrag in the Ranger for the hell of it. That Getrag is supposed to be pretty versatile with the ability to have 5, 6, or 6+crawler gears.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:13 pm

It'd be cool if Ford threw that new Bronco Getrag in the Ranger for the hell of it. That Getrag is supposed to be pretty versatile with the ability to have 5, 6, or 6+crawler gears.
Off-roading with a manual sucks donkey balls though.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:16 pm

Big time

I was reading reviews of the Bronco, the new :manuel: with extreme crawl gear pretty much drives without the clutch. Would be fun to experience, but I still don't think I'd own one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think for what many people do it would be fun. We certainly do off-road in our Jeep, but what we've done would all be easy in a manual. I have zero interest in rock crawling and certainly see why a manual would suck for that.

I get why they're not really being built/sold and don't blame the manufacturers (hell, I bought an auto Jeep new) but it would still be fun for me. I can dream :lolol:

The Maverick is something I would kinda consider buying though, whereas a :fancy: Bronco isn't happening.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I was referring to that trans being put into the Ranger since they are on the same platform and share the same drivetrain.

For me, I have zero interest in off-roading. The Bronco intrigues me as an SUV with a :manuel: However, from the review I just read on Jalopnik, the manual is kind of trick in the Bronco. The crawler gear keeps the truck moving with no throttle input, and if you stall it on a steep incline, you can restart in gear without touching the clutch.

The Getrag's versatility makes me wonder if Ford is going to start putting a 6 speed version in the Mustang, and maybe offer 5 speed variants for retrofitting into older Fox Bodies and such. :iono:
Irish

Irish

Irish