Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My impressions will be solely based on highway driving as I do 70mi of that a day :lolol:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Crazy how much faster the m2 is than everything else. I still really want that car and I actually really like the styling ugh…

I don’t understand anyone buying a Supra over an m2 I just don’t, come at me.

Also my lemon is faster than a dark horse lulz
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:50 pm

Crazy how much faster the m2 is than everything else. I still really want that car and I actually really like the styling ugh…

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who likes it. I floated that the M2 and M3/4 are pretty dece looking on my TOTD trip and was shit on pretty heavily. I still don't like the 3/4 front but it looks great from every other angle. The M2, while I'm not in love, I find pretty damn cool from any angle.

The fact that these M cars have stayed a similar price while everything else went to the moon really changes the game. I don't know why anyone would get the Mustang over it.

I can kind of see the Supra... maybe? A bit lower price/service costs, it probably feels/drives lighter. Styling is obviously subjective but both the M2 and Supra are kind of love it or hate it so I'm sure that drives people one way or the other.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh all those I'd 100% go Emira :doe:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:01 pm Oh all those I'd 100% go Emira :doe:
It’s probably 2x the price. And talk about service costs … :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:22 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:01 pm Oh all those I'd 100% go Emira :doe:
It’s probably 2x the price. And talk about service costs … :disgust:
Well, I can’t really afford any of those… So may as well dream big.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Once I saw the M2 in person I was converted as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I watched the video and Camisa called out that the Supra shifter is way better himself. He is certainly more of an authority than I.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:40 pm

So I watched the video and Camisa called out that the Supra shifter is way better himself. He is certainly more of an authority than I.
He also bitched about the Stang trans and the evora trans …
That’s a lot of broken trannys
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:40 pm

He also bitched about the Stang trans and the evora trans …
That’s a lot of broken trannys
I kinda get it :doe:

I mean, they are running the trannies as hard as can be done in these drag races so it makes sense that he had some slight hiccups. It is also one of the main things you interact with in a car. Personally, I find the transmission more relevant to the driving experience than even the motor. For example a GTI with a pedestrian 2.0T is still quite enjoyable to drive with a DSG whereas many cars with good engines but garbage CVTs or old autos are not enjoyable to drive.

All-in-all I appreciate his love of tranny analysis.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

great video, all 5/7 cars
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:36 pm

great video, all 5/7 cars
:dat: We can debate the merits of each at length but at the end of the day, I'd kick none out of bed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

More TOTD:

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Most excellent
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:05 pm Image

Most excellent
Did the plastic light opener give out or wtf is happening
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:20 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:05 pm Image

Most excellent
Nope the mounting bracket finally gave out after two hits to that corner of the car.

I just want some good looking fixed headlights ffs
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:25 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:20 pm

Nope the mounting bracket finally gave out after two hits to that corner of the car.

RIP the pop ups but they are a bit of a pain in the ass. Also terrible at lighting. I haven’t loved the look of most of the fixed lights I’ve seen though. Hopefully there’s something dece out there.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:50 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:25 pm

RIP the pop ups but they are a bit of a pain in the ass. Also terrible at lighting. I haven’t loved the look of most of the fixed lights I’ve seen though. Hopefully there’s something dece out there.

Ordered these. Hella expensive at $1000 but the bump is inoffensive and they're bi-led projectors. We'll see if I'll care enough to paint them for not but I think I'm going to get some other repairs done so I might as well.
max225

Bi eh?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:01 pm

Ordered these. Hella expensive at $1000 but the bump is inoffensive and they're bi-led projectors. We'll see if I'll care enough to paint them for not but I think I'm going to get some other repairs done so I might as well.
Those look solid. I feel like back when I was in the game the options were a lot more bulbous.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:53 pm

Those look solid. I feel like back when I was in the game the options were a lot more bulbous.
The cheaper ones still are. My favorite are the breathless performance ones which are even flatter, but they're 50% more and probably not as good for light output.

These are made by the Radioflyer guy from back in the day.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:59 pm

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who likes it. I floated that the M2 and M3/4 are pretty dece looking on my TOTD trip and was shit on pretty heavily. I still don't like the 3/4 front but it looks great from every other angle. The M2, while I'm not in love, I find pretty damn cool from any angle.

The fact that these M cars have stayed a similar price while everything else went to the moon really changes the game. I don't know why anyone would get the Mustang over it.

I can kind of see the Supra... maybe? A bit lower price/service costs, it probably feels/drives lighter. Styling is obviously subjective but both the M2 and Supra are kind of love it or hate it so I'm sure that drives people one way or the other.
Like for instance, i really like the new cts v with :manuel: but those motherfuckers mark the fuck up the storm to a 100k.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So i booked a trip to cali/socal this april for 6 days and staying at the hotel of the same company as i work for with my colleague rate, which is, wait for it... $99 night. And it's standard rate is $429. It's literally 2 blocks away from santa monica pier :excited:

Onto cars, right now i decided to fuck around on Turo and decided to look for :manuel: i found some pretty cool manual cars like a 30 year old jaguar xjs convertible with a v12 that ain't gonna happen. I want to enjoy my vacay, not be on the side of the road. So I went with a 2021 mazda 3 :manuel: id imagine it may not be gti fun, but pretty fun none the less. I'll shop around more. Also I recall finding the new m2 as well, but its too expensive for 6 nights
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:48 am So i booked a trip to cali/socal this april for 6 days and staying at the hotel of the same company as i work for with my colleague rate, which is, wait for it... $99 night. And it's standard rate is $429. It's literally 2 blocks away from santa monica pier :excited:

Onto cars, right now i decided to fuck around on Turo and decided to look for :manuel: i found some pretty cool manual cars like a 30 year old jaguar xjs convertible with a v12 that ain't gonna happen. I want to enjoy my vacay, not be on the side of the road. So I went with a 2021 mazda 3 :manuel: id imagine it may not be gti fun, but pretty fun none the less. I'll shop around more. Also I recall finding the new m2 as well, but its too expensive for 6 nights
:notbad: $99 a night is wild for a nice hotel in Santa Monica or anywhere for that matter. We’re supposed to stay sub $200 for work and even that is impossible half the time in much lesser cities.

Putting that Jag on Turo is insane. Does it have a crazy low mileage limit? Surely that would cost way more to keep up and unfuck from Turo renters than you could make on it. Would be neat to try though.

Back when I went to LA a lot for my previous company, I actually got a lot of fun manual cars in LA and had a blast on Angeles Crest and other roads. I think the Crest may be closed in winter but if not, check it out at the day’s first light, very fun and not crowded at that time at all.