Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:23 am

Ford GT was a very low production car. Also, if you bought a Ford GT and drove it every week, you'd still be way up, likely just as much as one that literally has to now remain wrapped in plastic indefinitely.

My point is, buying a new car and sticking it in a shed is fucking dumb, you have a tiny, tiny chance of being the guy smart enough to pick something that beats inflation, let alone the market and even then, you lose very, very little value by actually driving the car.

If this Firebird had 40K miles on it and was still pretty much mint, it would've still gone for $50K+ in my estimation. May as well have enjoyed it all that time rather than jacking off to the plastic wrapped seats.
My point is money spent wisely on cars goes a long way also. You’re :notwrong: about sticking a fireturd in a garage and expecting gold to form.

I linked it mainly for nostalgia not investment. I haven’t seen a mint F body in 20 years.

It was my dream car in high school and it looks like someone saved one for someone willing to take the plunge. If I had a bigger garage and the price wasn’t that atrocious I may have even considered it
Yeah it's a cool car. Ellis, Ram Air, Fun.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:14 am

Now do the same with a Ford GT.

Not every “investment” goes up … it has to be right. Just like the right House in the right hood … Toledo Ohio ain’t looking too hot either
Ford GT was a very low production car. Also, if you bought a Ford GT and drove it every week, you'd still be way up, likely just as much as one that literally has to now remain wrapped in plastic indefinitely.

My point is, buying a new car and sticking it in a shed is fucking dumb, you have a tiny, tiny chance of being the guy smart enough to pick something that beats inflation, let alone the market and even then, you lose very, very little value by actually driving the car.

If this Firebird had 40K miles on it and was still pretty much mint, it would've still gone for $50K+ in my estimation. May as well have enjoyed it all that time rather than jacking off on the plastic wrapped seats.
Fixed.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:01 pm

If this Firebird had 40K miles on it and was still pretty much mint, it would've still gone for $50K+ in my estimation. May as well have enjoyed it all that time rather than jacking off on the plastic wrapped seats.
Fixed.
The devil is in the details, breh, nicely done.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:35 pm

Fixed.
The devil is in the details, breh, nicely done.
:mahman:
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Fixed.
I was about to do this too, got beat.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Not sure where to post it... but this is "car related"

My buddy who was just over last friday just had some shit luck. He got rear ended that day by an old geezer who refused to acknowledge that his crown vic caused damage to his 2018 Kia Soul...

This morning it got stolen from his street... already involved in a crime. Will update more.

Another reason to avoid H if you live in higher crime/urban areas.... they are huge targets for theft here.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Damn. Don't get the base model is the lesson I guess?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:34 pm Damn. Don't get the base model is the lesson I guess?
Not sure why the trim would matter… he also got some sort of software patch that supposedly made it “harder to steal” …

I have never known anyone in my 20 years in Cali that had their car stolen. Will document more of the process
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:41 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:34 pm Damn. Don't get the base model is the lesson I guess?
Not sure why the trim would matter… he also got some sort of software patch that supposedly made it “harder to steal” …

I have never known anyone in my 20 years in Cali that had their car stolen. Will document more of the process
From what I understand the push button start ones are significantly more theft proof. Although anyone could potentially copy the frequency if they keep their keys too close to the door or whatever.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:03 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:41 pm

From what I understand the push button start ones are significantly more theft proof. Although anyone could potentially copy the frequency if they keep their keys too close to the door or whatever.
Confirmed not push button.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:44 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:03 pm

Confirmed not push button.
The push button cars came with immobilizers but the non push button cars did not. I'd have to imagine thieves are looking inside prior to attempting to steal them.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I got several recall notices to bring mine in to get the security upgrade from Hyundai. Never bothered with it
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:31 pm I got several recall notices to bring mine in to get the security upgrade from Hyundai. Never bothered with it
:tits: never got one for her Sonata but it has push button start and, presumably, an immobilizer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

SAWCE wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:31 pm I got several recall notices to bring mine in to get the security upgrade from Hyundai. Never bothered with it
The mayor is giving some compensation for anyone that owns hyundais in dc cause it seems to be a common theft car in the nations capital. But my coworkers drive hyundai's and he also had none of the problems and where I work is a little sketchy (loiterers) for the most part
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've heard some insurance companies won't even offer policies to certain slanty H/KbackwardsN cars because the thefts are so common. It has been reported that the push button ones are significantly lower risk.

Pretty wild... these brands made so much progress and yet aren't 100% there yet in a number of ways :ohwell:
max225

I also saw the news etc … and every time there is a crime of sorts it’s some sort of H in the background… now it’s hitting closer to home.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

New :225:

max225

DWS tires are pretty darn nice
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:nice:

I’m planning on going with the DWS over the Michelins this time around.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:04 pm New :225:

:jimp:
Are those the latest version 06+ or whatever?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notbad:

For the Audi?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:15 pm

They are the 06+
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:31 am

:notbad:

For the Audi?
Yes but the BBS don't clear the calipers so waiting on spacers. I figured this would be the case though.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That's going to be hot!

I had DWS on the 328i for a minute, they were pretty dece, I think they somehow wound up at breh's house in CA via Alan in LA.

I think when I wear out the Michelins on the 86 I'll go +10-20 MM and go back to the Azenis but try the 660 model. I dig grip.
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:05 am
wap wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:15 pm
They are the 06+
:megusta:
In4impressions. I want to get these when it's time to replace Derplops on the Blue Meanie. I liked the OG DWS's on my Mk6 and these are supposedly a noticeable upgrade.