Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yep, other 3 series is super practical, mine was perfectly acceptable for four adults and four carry ons and back packs.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:03 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:58 pm

:wrong:

Sure i get it, they are small. but its totes doable for a couple to pack for the weekend and put the things in the trunk.

Living with the BMW for a few months...its not THAT much bigger. IE a trip to the grocery in the beemer is just a big a pain as in the miata.
Bmw convertibles don’t have trunks with the top down … teeny. Backseat is a huge space adder.
let me tell ya it ain't exactly great with it up either
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:24 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Bmw convertibles don’t have trunks with the top down … teeny. Backseat is a huge space adder.
The sedan on the other hand is surprisingly good. Eh win some lose some.
golftdibrad1

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:58 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:24 pm

The sedan on the other hand is surprisingly good. Eh win some lose some.
I aint mad, i enjoy driving a luxury sports car every day :like:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1

https://www.thedrive.com/news/vw-tuner- ... ith-550-hp

40k for the HPA 550, you bring the car.

man, i can in no way afford that, but if I could...thats a mini supercar :megusta:
max225

Chinese engine in a German car ! Jesus
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah that's cool and all but it's a no from me, dog. It's still a six year old Golf... for new M3 money, which is a properly warrantied, RWD car, even available with a manual. The Golf chassis just ain't really $80K material.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I get why they’re only doing DSG cars, but :manuel: option would be nice. Not that I have any of what’s needed to get one of these lol.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:02 pm Yeah that's cool and all but it's a no from me, dog. It's still a six year old Golf... for new M3 money, which is a properly warrantied, RWD car, even available with a manual. The Golf chassis just ain't really $80K material.
Yeah its for the guy that already has one of those and 5 other cool things and he's still whacking it to his MarkIV R32 that he crashed when he was 23.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Ford locally is already discounting the GT. It came out like a month ago… my feeling of them completely over pricing it is clearly panning out
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:24 pm Ford locally is already discounting the GT. It came out like a month ago… my feeling of them completely over pricing it is clearly panning out
Funny how an absolutely wild, whirlwind few years in auto sales resulted in nothing actually changing.

I met with one of my customers partners in DC this week and their purchasing gal has an order for the Dark Horse. It sounds like she’s paying well over MSRP and convinced it’s an investment car, I wanted to tell her no Mustang is going up in value in the short term but :ohwell:
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:59 am
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:24 pm Ford locally is already discounting the GT. It came out like a month ago… my feeling of them completely over pricing it is clearly panning out
Funny how an absolutely wild, whirlwind few years in auto sales resulted in nothing actually changing.

I met with one of my customers partners in DC this week and their purchasing gal has an order for the Dark Horse. It sounds like she’s paying well over MSRP and convinced it’s an investment car, I wanted to tell her no Mustang is going up in value in the short term but :ohwell:
What do you think the annual income of “purchasing gal” is? I’m curious since it seems like on average mustang customers tend to be really overextended
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:01 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:59 am

What do you think the annual income of “purchasing gal” is? I’m curious since it seems like on average mustang customers tend to be really overextended
Def less than the Dark Horse transaction price, $60-70k if I had to guess?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I can’t believe the Dark Horse is $75k MSRP… for a Mustang with the same engine/chassis as a GT that could be had for $30k a decade ago.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:01 am I can’t believe the Dark Horse is $75k MSRP… for a Mustang with the same engine/chassis as a GT that could be had for $30k a decade ago.
It’s got screenz :doe:
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:01 am I can’t believe the Dark Horse is $75k MSRP… for a Mustang with the same engine/chassis as a GT that could be had for $30k a decade ago.
:thankyou:

I think it will be an a solute flop. (At the current price point).

Like the average ok to do American which I believe to be the target customer for a mass volume sports car makes probably 70-90k a year if I had to guess… 65-72k msrp + markup is Just lunacy imo.

This needs to be a 55-60k car tops with the GT in the 40s. If it was to ever sell in volume.

Also I don’t think there is enough distinguishing the GT and Dark Horse.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Agreed. Hence why I tried to subtly talk this chick out of it, she seems pretty bought into future value/collectibility and I don’t think it’s there for that. MAYBE in 50 years…

There is something special about a 5.0 NA with a great six speed in today’s market but it’s way too much cash for a mostly 2012 Mustang GT. GT350 was $50k and had a bespoke very special engine.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:59 pm Agreed. Hence why I tried to subtly talk this chick out of it, she seems pretty bought into future value/collectibility and I don’t think it’s there for that. MAYBE in 50 years…

There is something special about a 5.0 NA with a great six speed in today’s market but it’s way too much cash for a mostly 2012 Mustang GT. GT350 was $50k and had a bespoke very special engine.
Run me through how it’s better than a M2 that’s actually cheaper, or m3?! Both of which imo will be far more collectible.

I think the only modern collectible Stangs are gt350/R and maybe a Mach 1 and gt500 for the pure insanity factor.

Dark horse is far too common/pedestrian/expensive for what it is.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Yeah, insane pricing for what you get. An ancient chassis, an ugly exterior, and some screens (which are kind of cool doe). I can’t believe the thing is pushing $70k and the center console is still that old cheap ass Mustang look.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:59 pm Agreed. Hence why I tried to subtly talk this chick out of it, she seems pretty bought into future value/collectibility and I don’t think it’s there for that. MAYBE in 50 years…

She coming to disc golf?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:18 pm

She coming to disc golf?
:lolol: she’s in MD or I’d try to hook you up.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:41 pm

Run me through how it’s better than a M2 that’s actually cheaper, or m3?! Both of which imo will be far more collectible.

I think the only modern collectible Stangs are gt350/R and maybe a Mach 1 and gt500 for the pure insanity factor.

I was pretty blown away it’s less than an M2. I’d 100% get that, at a basic level M cars pretty much always seem to hold more value than Mustangs. I still dig the M2 even though everyone says it’s hideous.

If I was buying in that bracket I think I’d get a manual M3 or Cadillac Blackwing if practicality was needed or a Lotus, Porsche, or Corvette if not. I just don’t see how a Mustang could be in consideration. Hell a manual B58 Supra is like $15k less and arguably more special/interesting?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Relative to the conversation
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:07 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:41 pm

I was pretty blown away it’s less than an M2. I’d 100% get that, at a basic level M cars pretty much always seem to hold more value than Mustangs. I still dig the M2 even though everyone says it’s hideous.

If I was buying in that bracket I think I’d get a manual M3 or Cadillac Blackwing if practicality was needed or a Lotus, Porsche, or Corvette if not. I just don’t see how a Mustang could be in consideration. Hell a manual B58 Supra is like $15k less and arguably more special/interesting?
The real question is, the dark horse will still use that mt-82 trans thats mustang has been using for the atleast past 10 years or uses what the shelby has? $72k is a lot of money for a car thats known to be the blue collar mans sports car. But i think the transmission from shelby is something that is remotely worth the price tag. But then again, there are better cars to spend that money on.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:17 am

The real question is, the dark horse will still use that mt-82 trans thats mustang has been using for the atleast past 10 years or uses what the shelby has? $72k is a lot of money for a car thats known to be the blue collar mans sports car. But i think the transmission from shelby is something that is remotely worth the price tag. But then again, there are better cars to spend that money on.
The Dark Horse has the Tremec. In that sense, it is the replacement for the Mach 1 in the lineup. I think both will hold some value better than a standard GT but I certainly wouldn't pick either over a GT350.