Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:53 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 am I don't mind the size of the new WRX.

Of course, I daily a Silverado, but it is a RCSB.
I think the WRX is about the same size as my 328i, which is fine for daily use. I enjoy having room for four/stuff, although it isn't needed every day. I Miata would be a more fun daily though.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 2018 WRX I drove. To me, it isn't a bad sedan at all for under $30K.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:26 pm

That car had like 3700 miles I think. He hit a pothole and it blew up the strut tower. The GT cars have aluminum towers that are thinner than the non-GTs for #weightsavingsbro because race car. They also have basically no rubber bushing at the top of the strut. Aaaaaaand giant wheels. Hit anything in that car and the force is getting transferred to the chassis because you're bottoming out.

IMO... that's flat out unacceptable. Around here it's impossible to not hit a pothole, sunken manhole, tar snake, some other bullshit on your drive.
My car has giant wheels, no bushings with the subframe bolted to the sheet metal directly. Same shit different platform.

As a half dimwitted owner I KNOW THIS, I HAVE TO AVOID them, and I CAN'T DRIVE THE CAR LIKE A COROLLA. I mean this is fucking obvious, hitting a pothole at full speed means you FUCK SHIT UP, that's the racecarbro downside. If you don't want to do that, don't DD a GT3 because frankly it is NOT A DD car. Which is my point in all this ... :wrong: as always.
No i see 0 fault with Porsche here, sorry. These cars are not DESIGNED TO BE DRIVEN IN BAGHDAD, USA

I DD my car that will disintegrate on potholes and I am fine, and our roads are complete shit also. No I don't want BMW to put the car on 15s and put re-enforced strut towers, oh and I don't clear curbs either... so does this mean I RAM my front bumper into a curb and post pics on the internet saying... OMFG LOOK AT THIS DESIGN FLAW? !
If this was a blown up wheel and/or tire I'd agree with you totally. Low profile tires you accept the dangers. The unibody cracking and ejecting suspension components from hitting a pothole? On a factory vehicle totally unmodified? That's acceptable to you? kbrah. You don't sign any waivers that this is a track only car. There is no fine print from Porsche saying this car cannot be used on low quality tarmac. This is flat out shit engineering at its finest from a company that will do their damndest to point the finger back at the buyer. Catastrophic failure of an aluminum component from what is normal road conditions in the US.

Your car doesn't experience this type of failure for 2 reasons. 1) BMW already learned its lesson of weak suspension mount points on the E4x cars and made appropriate engineering changes, and 2) your mounts aren't aluminum they're steel which is not only stronger, it's also more ductile so it can take repeated impacts without stress cracking like brittle aluminum does.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:41 pm Mmmmm, some Kamry versus Camry debates :fuckyeah:

Toyota is actually making pretty good stuff now, they have come a LONG way.
:dat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

TRD Camry is where it's at. Ultimate reliable DD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:44 pm

I could if I knew I had to put 20K+ miles a year on a car, and just wanted to turn the key and change the oil and have it work. I would not want to kill myself while commuting.
I am doing the same shit @15k a year. Unless you want to "own" that Camry for 5+ years and want to sign up to spend "your best years" in a Camry then... this is the way to go. If I do have crotchfruit I want to be able to tell my offspring that daddy was kOol at some point and not a fridge operator.
I have already met this goal as my 16 yoa cf walks past the anus shattering mullet barge each morning on her way to whatever transport we are taking to school/work. Protip: Your "stories" are going be better than the real thing because the car does nothing other than create more smh action from the cf, from which there is already plenty, quite a bit of it justified. Opinions would likely be more positive from male cf. And as far as best years go, I am FIVE OH and looking forward to the next 10, my life is still in front of me.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:30 pm TRD Camry is where it's at. Ultimate reliable DD.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
So, M3?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Solves all the getn gas in Oakland issues lol - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987- ... er-spur-2/
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:42 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:37 pm https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/26/kia ... de-review/

Telluride is here at dillers.

:notbad:

Shockingly attractive
It really is. :notbad: Kia. :notbad: at all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Shockingly attractive
$32k - $42k. I think its just a tad smaller than a Yukon. Going to look at the build quality in person.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:47 pm
$32k - $42k. I think its just a tad smaller than a Yukon. Going to look at the build quality in person.
I checked it out in Detroit. It's quite nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:15 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am

ORLY
RLY
Proof tho?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:13 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:06 pm So this is the vehicle that everyone NEEDS not WANTS.
Unparraled reliability, you can drive this to 1 million miles,
seats for 4, including 2 crotchfruit
Decent trunk for all your useless costco shit
epic MPG
low service costs
affordable price
Amazing standard safety tech

It is amazing how many boxes this thing ACTUALLY CHECKS

:notbad:

I actually think it looks pretty :notbad:
Looks wise it reminds me a bit of the Cruze 4 door. Mostly in the C pillar side window treatment and roofline arc.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:18 pm
Blowouts aren't about cost as much as convenience. Cars don't have spare tires anymore, and the slime won't fill a hole in the sidewall. Waiting for the tow truck or whatever just eats up a ton of time...worse when it's :tits: that gets stranded and you have to do everything remotely for her.
Spare tires are irrelevant for women. I don't know of many that can change it and frankly. I'd rather have them call me so that I can RUSH on my 1/4 tank of gas to come change the wheel for them or at least get the car off the road.

I think only 1 of my ex's was able to change a tire... and even then she would have complained about blowing out her back etc. I helped a woman at work change hers, she didn't even know if her Range Rover had a spare let alone where it was located. And she came from Denmark... highly educated etc.
:iswydt:
:triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:13 pm
I actually think it looks pretty :notbad:
Looks wise it reminds me a bit of the Cruze 4 door. Mostly in the C pillar side window treatment and roofline arc.
Similar indeed. The Cruze was a great car RIP.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:33 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:47 pm
I am doing the same shit @15k a year. Unless you want to "own" that Camry for 5+ years and want to sign up to spend "your best years" in a Camry then... this is the way to go. If I do have crotchfruit I want to be able to tell my offspring that daddy was kOol at some point and not a fridge operator.
I have already met this goal as my 16 yoa cf walks past the anus shattering mullet barge each morning on her way to whatever transport we are taking to school/work. Protip: Your "stories" are going be better than the real thing because the car does nothing other than create more smh action from the cf, from which there is already plenty, quite a bit of it justified. Opinions would likely be more positive from male cf. And as far as best years go, I am FIVE OH and looking forward to the next 10, my life is still in front of me.
:fuckyeah: attitude, Dirk.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:05 pm

:dat:
I thought the 5 door was especially handsome. Always liked Opel Astras.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:47 pm
It can't be that "cheap" :notbad: :doe:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:18 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:44 pm

My car has giant wheels, no bushings with the subframe bolted to the sheet metal directly. Same shit different platform.

As a half dimwitted owner I KNOW THIS, I HAVE TO AVOID them, and I CAN'T DRIVE THE CAR LIKE A COROLLA. I mean this is fucking obvious, hitting a pothole at full speed means you FUCK SHIT UP, that's the racecarbro downside. If you don't want to do that, don't DD a GT3 because frankly it is NOT A DD car. Which is my point in all this ... :wrong: as always.
No i see 0 fault with Porsche here, sorry. These cars are not DESIGNED TO BE DRIVEN IN BAGHDAD, USA

I DD my car that will disintegrate on potholes and I am fine, and our roads are complete shit also. No I don't want BMW to put the car on 15s and put re-enforced strut towers, oh and I don't clear curbs either... so does this mean I RAM my front bumper into a curb and post pics on the internet saying... OMFG LOOK AT THIS DESIGN FLAW? !
If this was a blown up wheel and/or tire I'd agree with you totally. Low profile tires you accept the dangers. The unibody cracking and ejecting suspension components from hitting a pothole? On a factory vehicle totally unmodified? That's acceptable to you? kbrah. You don't sign any waivers that this is a track only car. There is no fine print from Porsche saying this car cannot be used on low quality tarmac. This is flat out shit engineering at its finest from a company that will do their damndest to point the finger back at the buyer. Catastrophic failure of an aluminum component from what is normal road conditions in the US.

Your car doesn't experience this type of failure for 2 reasons. 1) BMW already learned its lesson of weak suspension mount points on the E4x cars and made appropriate engineering changes, and 2) your mounts aren't aluminum they're steel which is not only stronger, it's also more ductile so it can take repeated impacts without stress cracking like brittle aluminum does.
My car is NOT at GT3 levels of cornering performance, so i obviously have less compromises in terms of durability as a DD, my car is also designed as a high po DD, the GT3 is not a high po DD it never was, and never will be.

Like this is no different than doing this with a lambo or what not. You just CAN'T DD IT. That is kind of the point, you CAN do it, but you CAN'T SUBJECT IT to the forces the other vehicles are designed to withstand, a Corolla is designed with hitting potholes in mind, puke etc. Should we talk about how crotchfruit puke negatively impacts carbon fiber in the interior?

yes I think it is perfectly normal for that to happen to a car designed to be a trackday weapon. It is not designed for the streets. That's what a regular base cayman or 911 is for. That's for the STREETS. 18" wheels or smaller etc, likely this type of shit won't happen on that car unless you launch it hard over a curb.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:18 pm

My car is NOT at GT3 levels of cornering performance, so i obviously have less compromises in terms of durability as a DD, my car is also designed as a high po DD, the GT3 is not a high po DD it never was, and never will be.

Like this is no different than doing this with a lambo or what not. You just CAN'T DD IT. That is kind of the point, you CAN do it, but you CAN'T SUBJECT IT to the forces the other vehicles are designed to withstand, a Corolla is designed with hitting potholes in mind, puke etc. Should we talk about how crotchfruit puke negatively impacts carbon fiber in the interior?

yes I think it is perfectly normal for that to happen to a car designed to be a trackday weapon. It is not designed for the streets. That's what a regular base cayman or 911 is for. That's for the STREETS. 18" wheels or smaller etc, likely this type of shit won't happen on that car unless you launch it hard over a curb.
It is a car designed for the streets. If it were a car designed for the track only it wouldn’t be road legal and have air bags etc. When you buy one you’re allowed to drive it home.

I’ll go back through the thread I linked. At least one of the cars failed on track.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

It’s safe to say that there are hundreds of Ferraris and other track oriented cars out there being driven in the same manner as these affected Porsche GT cars, but with no documented damages like those shown above.

You may argue that these cars aren’t made for shit roads but they didn’t all fail due to potholes.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:12 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:33 pm

It is a car designed for the streets. If it were a car designed for the track only it wouldn’t be road legal and have air bags etc. When you buy one you’re allowed to drive it home.

I’ll go back through the thread I linked. At least one of the cars failed on track.
:popcorn: It's a track car you can DRIVE ON THE STREET since they included air bags etc to make it road legal, believe me they would not if they didn't have to, they had to comply to .gov regulations in order to sell it. No market for a non driveable track car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I rented one in that bloo once, we drove it from Charlotte to DC (6 hours). It was definitely a solid car, it was a nice and relaxing road trip.

I'm glad at least Honda/Toyota are continuing to make decent small cars... kind of odd though. American small cars were shit for like 20+ years and the current Focus/Cruze/Fiesta/Volt/etc. are finally actually good and then they exit the market. Meanwhile, Japan dominated small cars in the 80s/90s, then because shit, and now are finally starting to look good again. Meanwhile, the Koreans are sneaking up out of nowhere with some epic cars. There's certainly some different business strategies playing out in the industry now :popcorn: . I guess it'll all come down to gas prices.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:50 pm
I rented one in that bloo once, we drove it from Charlotte to DC (6 hours). It was definitely a solid car, it was a nice and relaxing road trip.

I'm glad at least Honda/Toyota are continuing to make decent small cars... kind of odd though. American small cars were shit for like 20+ years and the current Focus/Cruze/Fiesta/Volt/etc. are finally actually good and then they exit the market. Meanwhile, Japan dominated small cars in the 80s/90s, then because shit, and now are finally starting to look good again. Meanwhile, the Koreans are sneaking up out of nowhere with some epic cars. There's certainly some different business strategies playing out in the industry now :popcorn: . I guess it'll all come down to gas prices.
:iono: the current focus is shit compared to a civic and the new corolla is way :nice: r than the Cruze... I think the Japanese are still the masters of this field. They have not yet conquered the SUV/TRUK market yet... but they are owning mid-sizers... and Rav 4 is the best selling CUV /non truck in America. They are certainly a force to be reckoned with in the refrigerator sales field.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:50 pm

:iono: the current focus is shit compared to a civic and the new corolla is way :nice: r than the Cruze... I think the Japanese are still the masters of this field. They have not yet conquered the SUV/TRUK market yet... but they are owning mid-sizers... and Rav 4 is the best selling CUV /non truck in America. They are certainly a force to be reckoned with in the refrigerator sales field.
I agree, but you have to remember when the Focus and Cruze were launched, the Corolla/Civic of the time were :disgust: . Then the domestics gave up on the segment and the Japanese admitted they sucked and made them great again. Even the Mazda 3 which is very nice now, was kind of meh for the 2nd gen.