Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I hear the Ridgelines drive extremely well.

This could be an intriguing truck, and it seems like other manufacturers are looking at jumping into the cheap unibody truck game. Ford has their version in the works, and VW had that interesting concept last year.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 am I hear the Ridgelines drive extremely well.

This could be an intriguing truck, and it seems like other manufacturers are looking at jumping into the cheap unibody truck game. Ford has their version in the works, and VW had that interesting concept last year.
Have you seen it though.... it’s flipping hideous (ridgeline)
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:21 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:08 am I hear the Ridgelines drive extremely well.

That's why I think the Hyundai thing has huge potential. Fix the minivan front styling and it could be a really compelling unibody pickup.

Unibody vehicles can off road just as well as a stock TuRD Taco if they're setup to.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:32 am

That's why I think the Hyundai thing has huge potential. Fix the minivan front styling and it could be a really compelling unibody pickup.

Unibody vehicles can off road just as well as a stock TuRD Taco if they're setup to.
Let’s not forget our lord and savior XJ is unibody
max225

I don’t see the ridgeline vs taco advantage due to the frame sitch... I mean the taco is about the same weight ... has about the same power, close to the same price. It’s more like a preference at this point. The ridgeswine probably gets better mpg but it is also wrong wheel drive
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:36 am

:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:36 am

Yep, and RWD with stick axles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am I don’t see the ridgeline vs taco advantage due to the frame sitch... I mean the taco is about the same weight ... has about the same power, close to the same price. It’s more like a preference at this point. The ridgeswine probably gets better mpg but it is also wrong wheel drive
FWD based AWD can be just as good off road, it just needs to be tuned for it. Ridgeline isn't, but it's got to be a vastly better driving vehicle on the road. Noise, efficiency, handling, it's top in the midsize truck class for that.
max225

Actually a ridgeline is heavier... :wtf:
Huckleberry

I agree. It looks awful, and the fact that they molded a fake divide between the "cab" and "bed" is hilarious. However, I do hear that they drive nice, but I haven't personally verified. I have driven the 2015+ Taco before and it was rather "meh." Neither the Ridgeline nor the Taco are on the list of vehicles I would like to own.

I agree with Detroit that the Santa Cruz could be intriguing if done correctly. Personally, I'd like to see VW's Tarok come to fruition. That would be a cool truck with the GTI's powertrain and AWD.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am I don’t see the ridgeline vs taco advantage due to the frame sitch... I mean the taco is about the same weight ... has about the same power, close to the same price. It’s more like a preference at this point. The ridgeswine probably gets better mpg but it is also wrong wheel drive
FWD based AWD can be just as good off road, it just needs to be tuned for it. Ridgeline isn't, but it's got to be a vastly better driving vehicle on the road. Noise, efficiency, handling, it's top in the midsize truck class for that.
road/noise/handling
Hmm I didn't think it was that far off ... maybe compared to like a raised jeep... but to a stock taco ? Meh... that thing was pretty damn refined. Efficiency without question. I would wager to say the taco is the least efficient truck in the segment. :wtf: is the reason it is getting 16/20 mpg same as a house of a ram with 2 more cylinders and 150 more hp.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:45 am

I agree. It looks awful, and the fact that they molded a fake divide between the "cab" and "bed" is hilarious. However, I do hear that they drive nice, but I haven't personally verified. I have driven the 2015+ Taco before and it was rather "meh." Neither the Ridgeline nor the Taco are on the list of vehicles I would like to own.

I agree with Detroit that the Santa Cruz could be intriguing if done correctly. Personally, I'd like to see VW's Tarok come to fruition. That would be a cool truck with the GTI's powertrain and AWD.
+1 on a VAG :truk: I am somewhat curious but then I think about what I'd like to do with it... and the whole turbo/sensors/finicky VAG crap goes out the window real quick.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The Ridgeline engine/trans combo is WAY more powerful feeling, and it's more comfortable inside.

I'm with you guys though it looks :gaydance: AF
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:43 am Actually a ridgeline is heavier... :wtf:
If I recall, the Ridgeline has a lot of hidden storage compartments. Those extra layers of metal will add up.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:57 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 am

Depends on what you want to do with it. If just hauling mountain bikes, kayaks, and camping gear this will do it while driving better and getting far better fuel mileage.

Won’t even be close to a taco off road. It’s competing more with the ridgeline.

I like it. I also like the ridgeline but think it looks like a minivan. If they can keep the minivan look away from it they could have a winner.
:dat:

I'd also rather have a Ridgeline than a Taco.
Its got a lot going for it really. Huge interior for the class, great storage, great ride and handling, great motor, locked trunk under the bed, etc. The only things I'm not fond of are the looks (minivan face especially) and the spare tire access being through the locked trunk under the bed. If you have a loaded bed and get a flat you're in for some shit, lol. That's a :unicorn: scenario though.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'll be shocked if VW produces a pickup for north america.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:46 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:45 am

+1 on a VAG :truk: I am somewhat curious but then I think about what I'd like to do with it... and the whole turbo/sensors/finicky VAG crap goes out the window real quick.
It was more appealing when VW still had the 6/72 bumper-bumper warranty at the time of the concept's debut.

The most interesting thing to me is the ability to get a full 6' bed when needed.
max225

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/ridgeline
Ridgeline looks like 20mpg average
http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/tacoma
Tacoma looks like 18-18.5 so... relatively close... Honestly... I don't see the ridgeline thing at all... I can't think of a use case. Uglier, can tow less, depreciates more. On the flip side, i suppose more space etc but at that point you can go full size truck and it obliterates a ridgeline in ride quality and NVH.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:52 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:46 am

It was more appealing when VW still had the 6/72 bumper-bumper warranty at the time of the concept's debut.

The most interesting thing to me is the ability to get a full 6' bed when needed.
You can always get a warranty to 100k for what... 2k? when buying new... That seems like a near non issue.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 am http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/ridgeline
Tacoma looks like 18-18.5 so... relatively close... Honestly... I don't see the ridgeline thing at all... I can't think of a use case. Uglier, can tow less, depreciates more. On the flip side, i suppose more space etc but at that point you can go full size truck and it obliterates a ridgeline in ride quality and NVH.
Full size trucks are just so freaking massive. Zero interest.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:58 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:53 am http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/ridgeline
Full size trucks are just so freaking massive. Zero interest.
A ridgeline is pretty big too... :yikes:
Johnny_P

Ridgeline should get better fuel economy, likely only marginal though.
Full time AWD is likely better for most people most of the time than manually selectable RWD/4WD systems. The latter obviously superior for off roading.
Ridgeline has coil spring independent rear suspension. So it will guaranteed drive better on normal roads.
Ridgeline also has far more interior room for linebackers than the Taco.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrol ... omparison/

That's a decent read. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. Daily driving, carrying around a mountain bike, trips to costco, and the occasional gravel road to a trailhead the Ridgeline would be a nice but ugly pick. Rock crawling and hauling, work truck stuff, the other entries are better.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:03 pm
Full time AWD is likely better for most people most of the time than manually selectable RWD/4WD systems. The latter obviously superior for off roading.
Ridgeline has coil spring independent rear suspension. So it will guaranteed drive better on normal roads.

That's a decent read. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. Daily driving, carrying around a mountain bike, trips to costco, and the occasional gravel road to a trailhead the Ridgeline would be a nice but ugly pick. Rock crawling and hauling, work truck stuff, the other entries are better.
Was looking for this... :hubba:

Pretty interesting how close they all are even considering the different lay outs.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:03 pm

Pretty interesting how close they all are even considering the different lay outs.
Yep. Pick one based on what’s important to you. None are bad.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:10 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:07 pm

Yep. Pick one based on what’s important to you. None are bad.
CyberTRUK it is... except it is 20-30k more than the taco i wanted and it is 2+ years out.