:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:53 am

So I can care about my car paint? Even if I had a place to wash a car, I wouldn't. I haven't had the ability wash a car for about 8 years now and really don't care.
No? I don’t think dirt ruins paint it’s designed for that, that’s why we have clear coat.

are you still happy with the STI?
Exceedingly
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:52 am
Irish wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 am

The paint is peeling on the front edge of my hood and is gone all across the top of the windshield :rage: :mk6:
Your paint is delaminating on the golf :( ?
Yeah..... total :bs: but whats one to do?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 am
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:54 am
No? I don’t think dirt ruins paint it’s designed for that, that’s why we have clear coat.

are you still happy with the STI?
Exceedingly
That’s awesome :) not being happy with a car can really suck for someone who is really into it
Johnny_P

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:59 am
It happened to my MK6. The A pillar, rock hit it or something, and a huge thing of paint flaked off about the size of a quarter. It was inside the windshield recess so I didn't care.
max225

If it bothers you paint it, if not keep on trukin
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

It happened to my MK6. The A pillar, rock hit it or something, and a huge thing of paint flaked off about the size of a quarter. It was inside the windshield recess so I didn't care.
That’s crazy !
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:56 am

Exceedingly
That’s awesome :) not being happy with a car can really suck for someone who is really into it
I love the damn car. I hate driving in the Philly region.

Was with my friend yesterday driving back from a bicycle ride. The roads are so trashed out it's not even funny. Hit a mondo pothole on Rt 309 that would have dented my wheels, and a bunch of others in the city. Came across a road repair section where sand was piled onto the side of the road for later use, it had toppled into the driving lane, and we had to climb a 6-7" fucking mound of sand. Could hear it make contact with the side sills on his Impreza. We hit a pavement ripple in the northwest section of the city that actually got us airborne at 30 MPH. Even he was complaining about how bad it is to drive anymore between the shit roads and traffic that has gotten way worse in 10 years, and he drives a CVT Impreza with 16" wheels.

Fuck all that. In any car.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:09 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:08 am

That’s crazy !
Yeah it was Chevy Express van contractor white paint flake type shit. Oktoberfest fuckup, doe.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 am

Was with my friend yesterday driving back from a bicycle ride. The roads are so trashed out it's not even funny. Hit a mondo pothole on Rt 309 that would have dented my wheels, and a bunch of others in the city. Came across a road repair section where sand was piled onto the side of the road for later use, it had toppled into the driving lane, and we had to climb a 6-7" fucking mound of sand. Could hear it make contact with the side sills on his Impreza. We hit a pavement ripple in the northwest section of the city that actually got us airborne at 30 MPH. Even he was complaining about how bad it is to drive anymore between the shit roads and traffic that has gotten way worse in 10 years, and he drives a CVT Impreza with 16" wheels.

Wild, but you know, I have to say I’m giving you mad props for actually owning your sti in said conditions, you’re a bigger car enthusiast than almost everyone. Putting up with that type of shit to enjoy the car is just :amazing: :wub:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

Wild, but you know, I have to say I’m giving you mad props for actually owning your sti in said conditions, you’re a bigger car enthusiast than almost everyone. Putting up with that type of shit to enjoy the car is just :amazing: :wub:
If/when I sell this car for some off roader it'll be bittersweet. Because this is the best car I've ever owned. And it'll be road conditions and congestion that will make me get rid of it.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

If/when I sell this car for some off roader it'll be bittersweet. Because this is the best car I've ever owned. And it'll be road conditions and congestion that will make me get rid of it.
Sure but you already had it for 3 years! :wub:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:19 am

3 years in November I guess.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 am
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:21 am
3 years in November I guess.
That’s cool tho, if you ever have kiddos you could be like, look dad had a blue rally car before. They will be in a future of driverless pods and this car is like the ultimate fuck You! :wub: it
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Same shit up in NY, I just put in ~8 hours of driving yesterday in the Lincoln and the roads are basically fucked from Corning over to Albany and up to Syracuse. Luckily this car rides better than anything else that the wife or I have owned. Instead of fixing the roads, they put up signs that say "Rough Road" :wtf: :butwhy: One of those sections went on for over 10 miles near Binghamton.

I also noticed yesterday that the wife's car scrapes a bit on the front bumper when entering/exiting our driveway. It's narrow so you cannot do the enthusiast "just go on an angle and it'll be fine!" maneuver. 0/7 will not be putting Speed6 springs on the MKZ...
Last edited by troyguitar on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:47 am

Same shit up in NY, I just put in ~8 hours of driving yesterday in the Lincoln and the roads are basically fucked from Corning over to Albany and up to Syracuse. Luckily this car rides better than anything else that the wife or I have owned. Instead of fixing the roads, they put up signs that say "Rough Road" :wtf: :butwhy: One of those sections went on for over 10 miles near Binghamton.

I also noticed yesterday that the wife's car scrapes a bit on the front bumper when entering/exiting our driveway. It's narrow so you cannot do the enthusiast "just go on and angle and it'll be fine!" maneuver. 0/7 will not be putting Speed6 springs on the MKZ...
Wow
Johnny_P

I also noticed yesterday that the wife's car scrapes a bit on the front bumper when entering/exiting our driveway. It's narrow so you cannot do the enthusiast "just go on and angle and it'll be fine!" maneuver. 0/7 will not be putting Speed6 springs on the MKZ...
Yeah I remember seeing those Rough Road signs in NY. Embarrassing. That's the shit I drive over daily. Although I do try to call in most potholes on the routes I drive, they patch them pretty fast but the patches are generally only good for a month.

On the MKZ you could probably gain a lot from just sway bars. That might be a better call? A rear sway bar really woke up my garden variety Focus sedan way back in the day, and the only downside was a little bit of squeaking occasionally.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am

Yeah I remember seeing those Rough Road signs in NY. Embarrassing. That's the shit I drive over daily. Although I do try to call in most potholes on the routes I drive, they patch them pretty fast but the patches are generally only good for a month.

On the MKZ you could probably gain a lot from just sway bars. That might be a better call? A rear sway bar really woke up my garden variety Focus sedan way back in the day, and the only downside was a little bit of squeaking occasionally.
Yeah that is all I'm doing, rear sway bar and some slightly more aggressive but still ceramic brake pads. The bar is OEM from the Speed6 so it has plain old factory rubber bushings too, no need to re-grease it twice a year to avoid squeaking. $60 bar and like $80 in pads? :scrooge: :stig:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:57 am

Yeah that is all I'm doing, rear sway bar and some slightly more aggressive but still ceramic brake pads. The bar is OEM from the Speed6 so it has plain old factory rubber bushings too, no need to re-grease it twice a year to avoid squeaking. $60 bar and like $80 in pads? :scrooge: :stig:
Oh that just bolts right in too? Sweet.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 am

It lives outside. Every day I drive under a rail bridge that drips clay water all over it. And drive into a refinery with puddles all over the place. I can't park in front of my place to even wash it anyway. Not worth it to me, and I legit do not care anymore.
I think it’s time for a change.
:dat:

be the change that you seek
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Yep, prug and pray. The bar goes over the top of the rear diff :doe: so it's not a 15 minute swap like on most cars, otherwise I'd have already done it. Gotta disconnect the drive shaft and loosen the diff to make room.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Yep, prug and pray. The bar goes over the top of the rear diff :doe: so it's not a 15 minute swap like on most cars, otherwise I'd have already done it. Gotta disconnect the drive shaft and loosen the diff to make room.
Bring it to [user not found]'s, we can do an install in his driveway.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

So this happened last year.....

I was driving home late one night from the office...dark and foggy.....traffic cones diverted me onto the shoulder.......at the last second I saw these oil pan killers.....I swerved hard but instantly lost air in the two right side tires.....

I tried to put in a claim with DOT but was repeatedly ignored....I meant to push it but it ended up getting away from me......
Johnny_P

@irish :yikes: that's some shit
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:36 am

:dat:

I still couldn't get over how some people on golfmk6 and golfmk7 gets so concerned about rock chips when it comes to road trip, this ain't a ferrari. I got a nice little scratch on my hood from a rock off of a dump truck at 4k miles, still there :aintcare:
The paint is peeling on the front edge of my hood and is gone all across the top of the windshield :rage: :mk6:
My paint is holding up well on the front end, considering its currently almost at 74k miles.
But that said, its not exactly a highway commuter.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar

Dat everyday autox course. :sad: