Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:16 pm Almost stalled in a parking garage … engine couldn’t make it in 2nd gear at 10mph … had to stop again on a tall incline and get up in 1st like the cuck that I am.
That’s kind of annoying. I remember my manual cars could almost always plod along in 2nd in those cases. Some very steep hills I’d have to leave it in first but not a garage.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:25 pm So “update” here. I haven’t been at a gas station since late July. Which is an absolute :fuckyeah:

The truck has 8605 miles on it and reached 1 year anniversary today ! 9/20!

It is getting its annual service at the stealer Friday. I’ll also attempt to get a trade in quote.
Replacing the taco truck? Sell that and the iX buyback and get a Rivian or something?
Johnny_P

Also how’s mini man doing?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:25 pm So “update” here. I haven’t been at a gas station since late July. Which is an absolute :fuckyeah:

It is getting its annual service at the stealer Friday. I’ll also attempt to get a trade in quote.
Dang so the Taco is basically getting zero use now? I guess piling miles on the loaner makes sense in the short term :lolol:
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I would never get rid of the Taco. It was relatively cheap, will not depreciate, and is basically a critical tool in the toolbox of life. Sometimes, you just need to build a carport and buy more cars.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:46 am Also how’s mini man doing?
I’m on the Night Shift so I haven’t slept a night in 11 days. He is very active at night it seems like his day/nights are flipped. Other than that he Is 95th% height and now 30% weight (down from 65%) at birth (usual post birth weight loss) Working on feeding him relentlessly.

It’s interesting seeing both myself and the azn in him. Nature does crazy things!
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:17 am

Dang so the Taco is basically getting zero use now? I guess piling miles on the loaner makes sense in the short term :lolol:
I drove it once in 6 weeks… I had 4 cars (tsx, IX, i4, Taco)… 2 in the garage and 2 in driveway(i4, tsx) … the taco was garaged the entire time so I didn’t want to play musical chairs and move cars. Now the tsx is gone and the rental lives outside

The woman refused to get into the taco after she was 8 month pregs. As this thing is pretty tall and she essentially has to jump in and out of it. And now with the kid I haven’t figured out a child seat sitch for it yet.

None of this is surprising but I’m wondering if I’m better served by taking 45-50k and buying a fun family car instead. The IX+taco equivalent vehicle can be pretty much anything for no incremental cost and a situation where I only have 2 cars instead of 3.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:20 am I would never get rid of the Taco. It was relatively cheap, will not depreciate, and is basically a critical tool in the toolbox of life. Sometimes, you just need to build a carport and buy more cars.
That’s one way that I think about it also … but I am also not against a 2 car solution with a fancy family car such as a defender/gwagen/rs6 vs a truck I don’t drive until the fella turns 2.
I’m sure he will love it more than anything short of a Ferrari
Johnny_P

He will probably love it. My kid loves my dads pos F150 because it’s enormous and he sits up so high in it.
max225

Had the Tacoma serviced … no issues, the local Toyota dealer is great.

Service was “free” and I got dropped off and picked up.

Also got a trade in offer of 45k… but it seemed like they were willing to go up.

About $500 a month to drive this thing from a depreciation perspective so far … but mostly due to tax.

Overall I really like the truck still and I love driving it. But we’re also going to $6 gas again. Ugh
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:14 pm Had the Tacoma serviced … no issues, the local Toyota dealer is great.

Also got a trade in offer of 45k… but it seemed like they were willing to go up.

About $500 a month to drive this thing from a depreciation perspective so far … but mostly due to tax.

Overall I really like the truck still and I love driving it. But we’re also going to $6 gas again. Ugh
Oh wow, I filled up the :jeep: for $3.35 yesterday. Charlotte is like California level cost on lots of stuff now, at least gas isn’t one of them.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:49 am
max225 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:14 pm Had the Tacoma serviced … no issues, the local Toyota dealer is great.

Oh wow, I filled up the :jeep: for $3.35 yesterday. Charlotte is like California level cost on lots of stuff now, at least gas isn’t one of them.
Yea I don’t know why but California has seriously pissed me off in this regard. We’ve been +$2 over the national average for 5 years now. And no it’s not taxes
max225

:wtf: Tacoma now leaking oil. After the “free oil change” I spoke too soon.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:disgust:
max225

Fucking losers
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:24 pm Fucking losers
:facepalm:

Techs were probably too busy committing murders to bother cleaning up after the earl change.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh

I cringe at the idea of letting others perform this basic task which can still be fucked up so many ways. Overtightening or undertightening of filter and drain bolt. Failure to use fresh crush washer or simply delete it. Overfilling or underfilling oil. I had not considered this error I will add to the list. Just what you need Chuck Yeager.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:31 pm I cringe at the idea of letting others perform this basic task which can still be fucked up so many ways. Overtightening or undertightening of filter and drain bolt. Failure to use fresh crush washer or simply delete it. Overfilling or underfilling oil. I had not considered this error I will add to the list. Just what you need Chuck Yeager.
I did the first two…
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:31 pm I cringe at the idea of letting others perform this basic task which can still be fucked up so many ways. Overtightening or undertightening of filter and drain bolt. Failure to use fresh crush washer or simply delete it. Overfilling or underfilling oil. I had not considered this error I will add to the list. Just what you need Chuck Yeager.
I did the first two…
I understand. The fact that you cannot find reliable help to not fuck up the most basic service in all of automotivedom so that you can attend your infant child and give your wife a fking break is "Exhibit A" to

1. "Good Help is Hard to Find" and
2. "If you want something done right, do it yourself" is SAD.

Like, if there was a box to check on the "$50 more to to have an ASE tech do the whole process and torque to specs instead of our low man on the totem pole garbage man/runner/oil change guy".........who would not check that box?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:47 pm

I did the first two…
I understand. The fact that you cannot find reliable help to not fuck up the most basic service in all of automotivedom so that you can attend your infant child and give your wife a fking break is "Exhibit A" to

Like, if there was a box to check on the "$50 more to to have an ASE tech do the whole process and torque to specs instead of our low man on the totem pole garbage man/runner/oil change guy".........who would not check that box?
I am quite displeased by the state of automotive repair around me. 2 dealers and 1 highly rated (500+ 5 star Yelp) place and multiple fuck ups
1. $5k mini brake pad change
2. Brake fluid gate
3. IX fubar
4. Oil change extravaganza on the Tacoma
5. Oil charge extravaganza on TSX

That’s just the most recent interactions I have had…
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:32 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:24 pm Fucking losers

Techs were probably too busy committing murders to bother cleaning up after the earl change.
:lolgasm: Those Bay Area suburbs are DANGEROUS!

@Max, that sucks man... what a fucking waste of your time.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:58 am
wap wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:32 pm

:lolgasm: Those Bay Area suburbs are DANGEROUS!

@Max, that sucks man... what a fucking waste of your time.
Yea it really sucked and killed 2 hrs out of my
Day. I only took it in case I lose a drain plug and an engine so they won’t be able to blame it on me.

They also pumped up the tires to 37 and I had them reset it back down to 30 as per the door sill.

Just incompetence.
max225

My local JLR dealer has 4K on the hood now for defenders … ironically these were marked up 50k less than a year ago …
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:38 pm My local JLR dealer has 4K on the hood now for defenders … ironically these were marked up 50k less than a year ago …
I still think these are cool. Go for it!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:47 pm

I did the first two…

Definitely agree with number 1, now my hotels restaurant is struggling to find someone that may stay reliable. I recently had guests bitching about waiting over an hour for room service. I can count how many people work at our hotel restaurant. Mind you this is nothing remotely as large as your typical chris ruth's steakhouse, even then most of the workers I speak to work 6 out of 7 days (in short overtime). The GM is very pissed off

I feel like at this point, taking your car for oil change is definitely for people either A are clearly not mechanically inclined or B don't have time to do shit like that or both. I remember before covid days whenever I took my mexican yaris for a oil change, even with walk in, would just take an hour. Honda, if i book an appt. It takes a little longer, roughly 2 hours at the very least.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.