Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:58 am Late to the party, but fuck some of this safety tech. Michelle and I were cruising the other weekend in her Cx5 and the car in front of us was making a right hand turn. They slowed down more than they needed to, but we were still a safe distance away and going pretty slow too, but then her forward collision sensor activated and locked up all her breaks bringing us to a complete stop and we were inches from being rear ended by the massive truck behind us who reasonably wasn’t expecting us to stop like that. She said it’s done similar stuff to her before. I need to spend some time figuring out how to turn as much of that shot off for her as I can.
Wow interesting... I haven't had mine go off in the taco once in the 4000 miles, even as a warning. Wondering if some manufacturers are fucking it up more than others.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've never owned a car with any of this :bs: , I will avoid it as long as possible.

I think that commercial was actually slanty H :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Yeeeessss, all aboard the anti-driving nannies train!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:58 am Late to the party, but fuck some of this safety tech. Michelle and I were cruising the other weekend in her Cx5 and the car in front of us was making a right hand turn. They slowed down more than they needed to, but we were still a safe distance away and going pretty slow too, but then her forward collision sensor activated and locked up all her breaks bringing us to a complete stop and we were inches from being rear ended by the massive truck behind us who reasonably wasn’t expecting us to stop like that. She said it’s done similar stuff to her before. I need to spend some time figuring out how to turn as much of that shot off for her as I can.
Wow interesting... I haven't had mine go off in the taco once in the 4000 miles, even as a warning. Wondering if some manufacturers are fucking it up more than others.
The collision warning in my GTI can be twitchy and go off at random times, like if a tree is too close to the road on a curve or there is a dip in the road at an intersection or something. It hasn't randomly locked up the brakes, though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 am

They don't care as long as they can stuff their golf clubs in the trunk, shoot 9 holes, and get to Hooters for their weekly New Balance meetup.
There's one main road that goes up our peninsula. It's 55mph, and a gorgeous drive. This weekend, as I turn onto it from the main road in the CT, I'm behind a new torch red C8. I crack the windows hoping to tickle my ears with a bit of V8 vroom goodness expecting the dude to hammer it as he turned on the road ahead of me.

But nothing. The speed limit starts at 35 in a heavy residential area, then 45 past some parks, then finally 55. Most follow the speed limits exactly or go ~5 over. Not this guy. Not only did he not hammer it once, but he cruised along like a grandma 10 mph under the limit. I was stuck behind him with a parade of vehicles behind me (probably assuming that it was be in the old man truck driving slow) until he turned into a mansion on the water and I got a glimpse of his silver white hair, liver spots, and squinting eyes into the sun. Not sure if he couldn't see or what, but man...what a waste.

:csb:
:disappoint:

I did see a couple of C8s at the track this weekend, so some are getting used as intended :megusta:
max225

Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

Irish wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:25 pm I forget which carmaker it was but there was a recent commercial where a bunch of teenaged girls are in a car and the driver is on her phone and starts to drift into another occupied lane...

She gets momentarily shook when the car automatically corrects her steering and helps her avoid tragedy.... and then shrugs it off and goes back to giggling with the girls ... :wtf:

I mean I get that they are marketing to parents but they also seem to be saying "Hey with our car you don't have to stay off of your phone, OMG ZFG YOLO LULZ :pout: :sass: :yeahok: "

:rage:
That seems to be the trend for companies advertising their safety tech in vehicles. They just show people being absolute shitheads behind the wheel, the car says, "Don't worry, I gots dis," and then the shithead continues being a shithead.
max225

I am just pointing out the insanity in the market. Feel free to buy it if you think it's worth it :like:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 pm Yeeeessss, all aboard the anti-driving nannies train!
I mean, they have their place, but I like my antique :taco: truck with no advanced tech but BT streaming and a backup camera.

It's literally a truck I could drive until the frame falls out.
I'm sure I'm :wrong:, but I don't think they do, not until automakers can sell us a car without a steering wheel in it.

My STi had blind spot monitoring, and after having it for only a few months I noticed I'd become lazy in looking over my shoulders prior to taking a lane or backing up in certain situations. One example - I usually parked on the end of the row in the garage at work so I'd be as far away from another parked car as possible, and cars coming down would go right by the driver's side of the car and behind me. One day I started to back up without even looking to the left to see if a car was coming around the corner, and the BSM system flashed at me and I stopped, but in that moment I realized my lack of attentiveness was learned from having the car tell me when it was safe to move and when it wasn't. I guess it depends on your perspective, but rather than have the opinion that BSM saved my ass, it's my belief that having a safety net there caused me to gradually become more and more willing to take additional risks with my driving habits. That's why I don't think they have their place - the perceived lack of risk causes drivers to pay less and less attention as these systems get better but still aren't as good as an attentive human. That's all well and good until they fail.

I've had my own incidents of the safety systems in my wife's Atlas almost causing multiple separate accidents as well, so now I turn them off every time I get on the interstate for any length of time.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:47 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:29 pm I am just pointing out the insanity in the market. Feel free to buy it if you think it's worth it :like:
It's not the right vehicle for me, nor is it in my budget. But simply because it doesn't fit my needs or wallet doesn't mean it's insane.

Insane is this: https://earthroamer.com/pre-roamed/pre-roamed-226/
I agree, but it is also proportionally nicer given the price points.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 91317.html

Oh look another $5k van for 65k :gay:
Solid Butcher Block Counter Top :doe:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:20 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 91317.html

Oh look another $5k van for 65k :gay:
Everyone knows that any worthwhile overland build starts with a BUTCHER BLOCK and the rest of the vehicle is built to fit.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:47 pm

It's not the right vehicle for me, nor is it in my budget. But simply because it doesn't fit my needs or wallet doesn't mean it's insane.

Insane is this: https://earthroamer.com/pre-roamed/pre-roamed-226/
580K for that is equally insane. The whole premium for being able to take your whole campsite to the top of K2 is retarded. The economics favor towing a Rubicon 392 with the Freightliner Chassis RV. You're all in at under $250K and are still swinging major :dedong:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:51 pm

580K for that is equally insane. The whole premium for being able to take your whole campsite to the top of K2 is retarded. The economics favor towing a Rubicon 392 with the Freightliner Chassis RV. You're all in at under $250K and are still swinging major :dedong:
10-4 completely agree. Or tow an airstream with the 392.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Everyone knows that any worthwhile overland build starts with a BUTCHER BLOCK and the rest of the vehicle is built to fit.
It certainly seems like it? :lol: These guys are building shit out of the lumber aisle at Lowe's and then acting like it's an Airstream interior.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:04 pm

It certainly seems like it? :lol: These guys are building shit out of the lumber aisle at Lowe's and then acting like it's an Airstream interior.
The externally mounted Propane tank is a bit of a giveaway. He had to make 8 surf boards and his bitch (dog) fit on an queen mattress per the write up... Not surprising because any sane woman would probably leave a guy who spent 2 years on an econoline to slice potatoes next to a desert wasteland.

Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 pm

The externally mounted Propane tank is a bit of a giveaway. He had to make 8 surf boards and his bitch (dog) fit on an queen mattress per the write up... Not surprising because any sane woman would probably leave a guy who spent 2 years on an econoline to slice potatoes next to a desert wasteland.

The chase for the tasty wave leaves many relationships in its wake.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:50 pm

I'm sure I'm :wrong:, but I don't think they do, not until automakers can sell us a car without a steering wheel in it.

My STi had blind spot monitoring, and after having it for only a few months I noticed I'd become lazy in looking over my shoulders prior to taking a lane or backing up in certain situations. One example - I usually parked on the end of the row in the garage at work so I'd be as far away from another parked car as possible, and cars coming down would go right by the driver's side of the car and behind me. One day I started to back up without even looking to the left to see if a car was coming around the corner, and the BSM system flashed at me and I stopped, but in that moment I realized my lack of attentiveness was learned from having the car tell me when it was safe to move and when it wasn't. I guess it depends on your perspective, but rather than have the opinion that BSM saved my ass, it's my belief that having a safety net there caused me to gradually become more and more willing to take additional risks with my driving habits. That's why I don't think they have their place - the perceived lack of risk causes drivers to pay less and less attention as these systems get better but still aren't as good as an attentive human. That's all well and good until they fail.

I've had my own incidents of the safety systems in my wife's Atlas almost causing multiple separate accidents as well, so now I turn them off every time I get on the interstate for any length of time.
Indeed - your habits adapt, and have the potential to make you a "lazy" driver. And that's what many people do.

I will say, adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality is amazing in traffic though. If I spent my life driving in and out of heavy traffic... I see the value there. Much less frustration.
:dat: I love it actually but that is after my 30+ years of old school driving (fuq I am :wap: )

But a person learning to drive today is going to absolutely rely on these nannies to make life easier and thus not be as engaged as they should be.

Hell, while teaching him to drive, I had a hell of a time getting my last kid to turn his head to actually look behind him before backing... because he wanted to rely on the back up camera and the mirrors.

The only way I got him to do it at the time was to tell him (truthfully) that he would fail his driving test if he didn't physically look behind.

He has since come around to my way of thinking...on quite a few things, thank god. But when he was 17, his dad didn't know shit about fuck.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:25 pm
Yep, I've had the same thing happen to me around here when I was working at Mazda - you can change the distance at which Smart Braking/Smart City Braking activates. Can't change the sensitivity, or turn it off (well, technically you can, but you'll have to turn it off every time you start the car).

Also, I read that if you lightly press the brake pedal if you see a car turning ahead, it won't activate the system.

But yeah, the problem is - OTHER cars don't have this tech, so good luck if someone's behind you without any auto braking nannies.
Ah maybe she hadn’t braked and just let off the glass while the dude was turning and that’s why it went :fullretard:
Thanks for the info! I’ll look up how to max those distances out for her.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:46 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:21 pm

Ah maybe she hadn’t braked and just let off the glass while the dude was turning and that’s why it went :fullretard:
Thanks for the info! I’ll look up how to max those distances out for her.
Yeah, in my scenario, I let off the gas and started to swerve around the turning car - and it started to activate the smart braking system.

People also take waaaaaaaay too much time to get the fuck off the road when turning, though. :disgust:
Dude it’s so bad out here. And they turn from the middle of the fucking lane instead of getting over into the bike lane for the last 50-100’ like you’re allowed/supposed to do if it’s clear.
max225

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30lgGw ... er-sr5-4x4

Already 23k which is close to MSRP :mindblown:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:12 pm https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30lgGw ... er-sr5-4x4

Already 23k which is close to MSRP :mindblown:

The world has gone mad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30pg5R ... -impala-ss

I always loved these. Such great vehicles!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 pm https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30pg5R ... -impala-ss

Super :neat: I've loved these forever.

A buddy of mine has one and I've worked on it quite a bit. It's a really a refreshingly simple thing to work on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:17 pm https://carsandbids.com/auctions/30pg5R ... -impala-ss

Super :neat: I've loved these forever.

A buddy of mine has one and I've worked on it quite a bit. It's a really a refreshingly simple thing to work on.
:like: they ride great too, literally like a couch on wheels, and thanks to smaller wheels it absorbs shit pavement amazingly. Sounds great and rides great, what's not to love.

IMO these are still sub 30/40k even in great shape and are easy enough to maintain and have great parts availability.