Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Also got a big area to build up on a window sill :disgust:

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Oh, and for smaller cracks I'm using this. Seemed to work well when I used it 2 years ago.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

wap

Work will resume this weekend. Gonna make sure there's no more loose paint or chipped stone then I'll start filling in the gaps and cracks. That ought to take a couple of more weekends and then I can finally start to paint, which should just take a day or so. Then I'll work on scraping and painting those 3 windows.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Outstanding!

I need to fix some gaps in our front steps, wonder if I could stuff it with backer rod first...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 am Outstanding!

I need to fix some gaps in our front steps, wonder if I could stuff it with backer rod first...
I don't see why you couldn't. :iono: It comes in several different diameters, something like .25" through around 1" dia, iirc from just a quick look at the display in the store. The dude said to use it to fill all but the final ~ .75" from the surface and then fill in that last .75" with the Quikrete. He also said that it cures very fast, like 10 minutes, so only mix what you can apply in that time and to build it up in small increments. It's also paintable.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Got the rug that I picked out from Amazon yesterday

wap

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm Got the rug that I picked out from Amazon yesterday

Looks :nice: against that floor!
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:28 pm Got the rug that I picked out from Amazon yesterday

Thanks! The colors are a little softer than they looked online, and it doesn’t quite go with the chair michelle’s mom gave us, but I like how it looks overall.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:16 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks! The colors are a little softer than they looked online, and it doesn’t quite go with the chair michelle’s mom gave us, but I like how it looks overall.
Dude, I love that rug! Great choice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:54 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks man! I dug the blend of southwestern and geometric patterns and luckily Michelle was on board. Amazon pricing for their brand rugs is decent too. This was $200 for a 5’x8’ rug that seems to be good quality so far.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:54 am
Thanks man! I dug the blend of southwestern and geometric patterns and luckily Michelle was on board. Amazon pricing for their brand rugs is decent too. This was $200 for a 5’x8’ rug that seems to be good quality so far.
Yea, I really like that southwestern design pattern, especially with the more pastel colors.

We've ordered rugs from Amazon, Overstock, and Wayfare. Overstock and Wayfare seem to be the cheapest for some reason, but we've always ended up with decent rugs from any of them.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:58 am

Yea, I really like that southwestern design pattern, especially with the more pastel colors.

We've ordered rugs from Amazon, Overstock, and Wayfare. Overstock and Wayfare seem to be the cheapest for some reason, but we've always ended up with decent rugs from any of them.
:nice: I browsed Overstock and Wayfare a bit, but this one was the first to really stand out to me.
wap

Not much to report on my foundation rejuvenation project. Another weekend of scraping loose and peeling paint and chipping out earlier patch jobs that have failed. In 94* heat and humidity. :disgust:

Hopefully one more weekend of this same work, then one final power wash to clean dust and stone particles and chips from the cracks, then the following week I'll hit the surface with a leaf blower to further clean out the gaps then start to fill and patch. Hope to be painting by the middle of August. That should go relatively quickly. Seems slow, I know, but I'm only working on it over the weekends.

After the foundation is painted I'll then start working on scraping and painting the remaining 3 basement windows. Hopefully the whole project will be done by Labor Day weekend.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:07 pm Not much to report on my foundation rejuvenation project. Another weekend of scraping loose and peeling paint and chipping out earlier patch jobs that have failed. In 94* heat and humidity. :disgust:

Hopefully one more weekend of this same work, then one final power wash to clean dust and stone particles and chips from the cracks, then the following week I'll hit the surface with a leaf blower to further clean out the gaps then start to fill and patch. Hope to be painting by the middle of August. That should go relatively quickly. Seems slow, I know, but I'm only working on it over the weekends.

After the foundation is painted I'll then start working on scraping and painting the remaining 3 basement windows. Hopefully the whole project will be done by Labor Day weekend.
Man, take it easy out there. This weather is absolutely terrible for being outside, let alone doing work. :nope:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:07 pm Not much to report on my foundation rejuvenation project. Another weekend of scraping loose and peeling paint and chipping out earlier patch jobs that have failed. In 94* heat and humidity. :disgust:

Man, take it easy out there. This weather is absolutely terrible for being outside, let alone doing work. :nope:
:notwrong:
Saturday I worked about 7 hours straight, (that includes an hour to cut the grass) with a 45 minute break to chat with some friends who stopped by for 45 minutes, but that was outside as well, in the yard about 12 feet apart. Yesterday I worked for an hour at a time, taking an hour break in between so I only got about 3 hours of work in. :ohwell:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Picked our flooring and electrical options this last weekend.
  • Flooring was going to be default and we would do it ourselves later, but the flooring company actually had really good options.
  • On the entire down stairs we went with 8" x 48" tiles that look like wood planks in a light brown/grayish color with a close match on the grout. Will have 3/16" grout lines.
  • Upstairs we went with a much lighter almost white 8" x 36" tile with matching grout for the bathrooms.
  • Picked a grayish upgraded carpet and pad everywhere else upstairs.
  • The cabinets are a slate gray and the quartz countertops are white with a white glittery speckle in them.
Electrical was a chore to iron out, but we did it.
  • Added a bunch of outlets and 1&1 boxes (Coax+Ethernet) up on walls for wall mount TVs.
  • Opted for the a 48" SMC for all the wiring.
  • Added a second 20A circuit in my office
  • Pre-wired all rooms for fans/lights, added 4 or 6 can lights in every room as the size required.
  • 10 cans in the kitchen, 10 in the great room, 8 in the dining room.
  • Pre-wired for 7.1 in the great room with the fronts/center on the wall, rears and surrounds in the ceiling.
  • Pre-wired alarm on every door and window, motion sensors in the garage and RV garage and glass break sensors in the house by the sliders.
  • Pre-wired 3x alarm control panels.
  • RV Garage comes with a 200A panel, upgrading it to 400A.
  • Added another 50A outlet in RV Garage for a total of 2.
  • Added 2x 30A connections for dual mini-splits in RV Garage.
  • Added another 20A 110 circuit in RV garage and 8 more outlets.
  • Added 2x POE WIFI AP pre-wires in the ceilings.
  • Added 4x network runs out to the RV garage.
  • Pre-wired for up to 16 cameras.
  • Pre-wired for outdoor kitchen/lights/ceiling fans.
  • Added outlets on the eaves for Christmas lights, in case we don't go all Bah-Humbug with our new neighbors.
Flooring was $25k in upgrades. I have no idea about the electrical yet, should get numbers this week. The dude was pretty reasonable though and estimates "we're not going to be looking at too much", whatever that means. :lol:
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 pm Picked our flooring and electrical options this last weekend.
  • Flooring was going to be default and we would do it ourselves later, but the flooring company actually had really good options.
  • On the entire down stairs we went with 8" x 48" tiles that look like wood planks in a light brown/grayish color with a close match on the grout. Will have 3/16" grout lines.
  • Upstairs we went with a much lighter almost white 8" x 36" tile with matching grout for the bathrooms.
  • The cabinets are a slate gray and the quartz countertops are white with a white glittery speckle in them.
  • Added a bunch of outlets and 1&1 boxes (Coax+Ethernet) up on walls for wall mount TVs.
  • Pre-wired all rooms for fans/lights, added 4 or 6 can lights in every room as the size required.
  • Pre-wired for 7.1 in the great room with the fronts/center on the wall, rears and surrounds in the ceiling.
  • Pre-wired alarm on every door and window, motion sensors in the garage and RV garage and glass break sensors in the house by the sliders.
  • Added outlets on the eaves for Christmas lights, in case we don't go all Bah-Humbug with our new neighbors.
Flooring was $25k in upgrades. I have no idea about the electrical yet, should get numbers this week. The dude was pretty reasonable though and estimates "we're not going to be looking at too much", whatever that means. :lol:
Sounds awesome :excited:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Needs a pool, but it looks like one wouldn't fit. I would insist on one in TX if I were buy real estate there.
ChrisoftheNorth

#dreamhouse
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 pm Picked our flooring and electrical options this last weekend.
:fuckyeah: I love the tile wood floors, all the looks plus all of the practicality.

We have a grey/brown laminate throughout and I really love the color.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

D Griff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:35 pm
:fuckyeah: I love the tile wood floors, all the looks plus all of the practicality.

We have a grayish/brown laminate too and we love the look. Just want the tile so it can be mopped and steam cleaned, unlike the laminate.
Desertbreh

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 pm

We have a grayish/brown laminate too and we love the look. Just want the tile so it can be mopped and steam cleaned, unlike the laminate.
Tile isn't everything. It's the only thing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:56 pm

Yeah I have no issue with laminate floors but tile is definitely an upgrade and well worth it.