Car Talk 5: The Juice is Loose!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:34 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:28 am

red 95 that was totaled due to haliariousily minor rear end damage . was nice car before. comes with spare wheels, 140k, ac working, dude just took payout and doesn't want to deal with it.
1500 ask.
I'm getting it if he responds back. we've traded messages but I think he is driving based on what he said. so when he gets back I'll go look and scoop.
it needs 300 in parts to be good as before.
and I can get antique plates!

I'm a little excited
Does a salvage title come with major headaches in your state ? In Cali we have to do a “brake and light” inspection before registering a salvage title car.

$1500 seems like it won’t get any lower than that ... after all Miata is the answer. Cheap fun
yea I'll have to jump through a couple hoops, but it's only slightly more complicated than a regular inspection it looks like. then one it's re-titles I can get a antique plate, no more inspections and stuff, classic car insurance.... will be super cheap!
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:29 pm

y so savage?
dat the new bronco? Its going to be a failure out the gate?! :sad:
Every time I see a new Ranger I am like :ayfkm: :disgust: :hellno: :gag: If this is anything like that I am out on that dawg. I mean the Ranger is just this hideous crime against good taste.....I would rather own a Chevy HD.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:11 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:26 am
It depends on the frame of reference. A 10k rr sport seems like it wouldn’t be that expensive to own. Probably less for me in 2 years than an fj. Mainly due to the already low price point.
I'd walk into a local LR/RR garage or european garage, and ask what the common failure points are and costs to repair.

The strong point of the FJ is reliability. But is it worth triple the initial outlay in purchase price... for a temporary experience. :notsure:

Also, what kind of trails are we talking about you actually doing, comrade?
NO
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Not knocking this process or anyone at all on the forum but I feel like I'm too beaten down by life this year to even consider a second depreciating asset. A go anywhere AWD almost paid off hatchback is :tits:

Maybe by spring I'll start to feel some sort of itch and will be scanning well sorted MR2s or whatever.

So going back to the one car to do it all seems like the easiest way to live, considering the cost of multiple toys being that you get hit with depreciation x 2, taxes x 2, repairs x 2, mods x2, puts into perspective that a person should really want MOAR, cause that's what it'll cost.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 am

Every time I see a new Ranger I am like :ayfkm: :disgust: :hellno: :gag: If this is anything like that I am out on that dawg. I mean the Ranger is just this hideous crime against good taste.....I would rather own a Chevy HD.
They don’t have anything outside or raptor and gt350. Rest is pathetic garbage... ranger isn’t even that bad compared to their offerings
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Don't forget the multicar discount on insurance
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:44 pm Don't forget the multicar discount on insurance
Dat discount double check.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 am

:dat:

is also like a warmed up leftovers of a Colorado/Canyon.... :rage: :wtf:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:19 am I might be getting my beater Miata

:popcorn:
What changed?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I like the idea of the ranger and the engine / trans. That’s about it. I think the execution was rather poor.

BUT. In basic bitch XL fleet spec vs the competition? It slays. That’s the spec they designed the truck to. Fleet buyers.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm Not knocking this process or anyone at all on the forum but I feel like I'm too beaten down by life this year to even consider a second depreciating asset. A go anywhere AWD almost paid off hatchback is :tits:

Maybe by spring I'll start to feel some sort of itch and will be scanning well sorted MR2s or whatever.

So going back to the one car to do it all seems like the easiest way to live, considering the cost of multiple toys being that you get hit with depreciation x 2, taxes x 2, repairs x 2, mods x2, puts into perspective that a person should really want MOAR, cause that's what it'll cost.
I am now six miles from work, trying to start riding my bicycle most places and with a single car driveway and having similar thoughts... two cars is kind of :fullretard: As much as I loved the idea of a :jeep: , since we moved and are now pretty much next door to everything I do, I really can't justify anything. If I do anything though, it would probably be off the BMW and get a set of all seasons with tall sidewalls for my other :poorvette: wheels, DD that and my bicycle.

I do quite enjoy the process of the search on here though, I love the :plac: disease. I also don't think anyone here is delusional that the fun cars/ :truk: are financially savvy like the real :plac: , we're all just having fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:09 pm Not knocking this process or anyone at all on the forum but I feel like I'm too beaten down by life this year to even consider a second depreciating asset. A go anywhere AWD almost paid off hatchback is :tits:

I am now six miles from work, trying to start riding my bicycle most places and with a single car driveway and having similar thoughts... two cars is kind of :fullretard: As much as I loved the idea of a :jeep: , since we moved and are now pretty much next door to everything I do, I really can't justify anything. If I do anything though, it would probably be off the BMW and get a set of all seasons with tall sidewalls for my other :poorvette: wheels, DD that and my bicycle.

I do quite enjoy the process of the search on here though, I love the :plac: disease. I also don't think anyone here is delusional that the fun cars/ :truk: are financially savvy like the real :plac: , we're all just having fun.
max225

Nah these are all expenses to have fun. It is a very expensive hobby but it is what it is. I have nothing else to blow my money on.. even with the house purchase coming up, this doesn't really put a dent into anything.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm I like the idea of the ranger and the engine / trans. That’s about it. I think the execution was rather poor.

BUT. In basic bitch XL fleet spec vs the competition? It slays. That’s the spec they designed the truck to. Fleet buyers.
IMO it is the best one..
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 pm

Man I hear this
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Full set of front wheels with some 50/55 sidewall tires. The wheel wells are plenty big
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm I like the idea of the ranger and the engine / trans. That’s about it. I think the execution was rather poor.

IMO it is the best one..
If I were to get one it would be an XL. Still gets the turbo motor and 10 speed. Locking diff available on all trims. Steel wheels look cool. The truck makes less sense as you climb the options ladders. And I hate the uplevel gauges and infotainment anyway.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Man I hear this
I just took a 14 mile test ride on the road bike I got (old Raleigh I used to use, has been at my rents for a few years) and everything's fine. I need to ride to work tomorrow... I will say in the morning when it's 30F it's less appealing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm Nah these are all expenses to have fun. It is a very expensive hobby but it is what it is. I have nothing else to blow my money on.. even with the house purchase coming up, this doesn't really put a dent into anything.
:word: just get the 33K forum :bruh: spec then. :doit:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:03 pm Nah these are all expenses to have fun. It is a very expensive hobby but it is what it is. I have nothing else to blow my money on.. even with the house purchase coming up, this doesn't really put a dent into anything.
The king of :scrooge: :troywax: ing on an FJ might just make DFD crash.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 pm
I am trying to wear him out... we shall see.. it's been for sale for almost a month. And he is in "no rush to sell" and I am in "no rush to buy" 33k is not gonna happen...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:19 am I might be getting my beater Miata

:popcorn:
What changed?
good deal on a car that probably needs minimal work to derp around in. can register as an antique and save for later in life or sell for profit if I find it sitting and not getting used.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm

What changed?
good deal on a car that probably needs minimal work to derp around in. can register as an antique and save for later in life or sell for profit if I find it sitting and not getting used.
Yep, saw you posted the story and I was late to the party. Sounds :neat: to me, I say :doit:

Miatas are a ton of fun.
Johnny_P

Lisa's parents got me a AAA membership for my birthday. Which I thought was very nice of them.

So far it's just opened the door for a shitload of spam emails and mailings.

God bless America.

:disgust:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:59 pm Lisa's parents got me a AAA membership for my birthday. Which I thought was very nice of them.

So far it's just opened the door for a shitload of spam emails and mailings.

God bless America.

:disgust:
Get a hooptie and just get tow it to and from work as payback