Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 am Tail lights always strike me as the dumbest mod ever. You'll never ever see them so :whocares:
I know. Somehow i didn't think it through and i don't really want them. They are posted up locally for what i bought them at.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 am Tail lights always strike me as the dumbest mod ever. You'll never ever see them so :whocares:
You do see them when you walk up to the car and unlock it etc, but overall mostly :dat:
I don’t understand the mk7 tail light frenzy they all look the same to me, there was a bit of a difference on the 6 :doe:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... yptr=yahoo

48k on BaT

if i was rich id buy it just to ruin its collector value.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 am
You do see them when you walk up to the car and unlock it etc, but overall mostly :dat:
I don’t understand the mk7 tail light frenzy they all look the same to me, there was a bit of a difference on the 6 :doe:
Unless the unlock sequence does something neat, that's still :whocares:

But people do it with all cars. C5 halo tails are super popular, and to that I maintain :whocares:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 am
I also get the itch of getting those taillights as well, but then i think of how much money i’d end up spending when I could’ve used it for something more meaningful
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:46 am
:iono:

I enjoy stupid things like taillight aesthetics.

To each their own.
Mud doesn't count.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:18 am https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... yptr=yahoo

48k on BaT

if i was rich id buy it just to ruin its collector value.
According to inflation index, 48k today = 32k in year 2000, or this car's MSRP.
I dunno. Not outrageous if you're looking at it from a collector point of view I guess.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am
Mud doesn't count.
I swapped to LED tails on my Mk6. It looked awesome.
Is that what they looked like when they flashed on unlock?
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am
Mud doesn't count.
The MK6 halogen tails looked retarded. I never look at the back of my car though so who cares.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 am

The MK6 halogen tails looked retarded. I never look at the back of my car though so who cares.
:dat:

Something that you'll never ever see... :whocares:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 am

:dat:

Something that you'll never ever see... :whocares:
This.

Wing matters doe. I see that in the rear view mirror :wub:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:triggered:

Nobody is chasing me down to get those lights haha. If I can complete the set for cheap (will watch black Friday deals on the other two lenses) then I might do so. Just keep digging myself deeper into this stupid hole. If I do get the whole set, I'll throw them on. Even if I get the other half at retail I'll be discounted 25% which is close to resale on a used set. Hopefully I can off them sooner, if not its 200 out of pocket less the selling price.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Also, I drove another car today that I really hadn't ever bothered to: Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring with :manuel:

It's a perfect daily driver. Seats are comfy, sightlines are good, Blose audio is :megusta: and it just feels good behind the wheel.

2.5 isn't a bad lump either, it's got some oomph for passing/merging.

Next gen 3 will have AWD available, eager to see what the final design looks like in LA.
Even the base 3 is great. It's like 300 lbs lighter so the 2.0 is just as quick at real world speeds as the 2.5.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:Image

I wish this was a thing.
ND Miata coupe would be worth the :troywax: to buy a new one and drive it into the ground. The extra space and improved NVH vs existing models would make it tolerable as an only car instead of only a fun toy.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm Even the base 3 is great. It's like 300 lbs lighter so the 2.0 is just as quick at real world speeds as the 2.5.
The 3 is a very solid, competent, good handling compact. It's the right size, too.

The new Civic is everything that's wrong with the segment. Bloated, overstyled, and it doesn't seem to come with that patent Honderp reliability.
I had a base 3 rental sedan and was very comfortable and pleasant to drive. Silky smooth powertrain which was adequately paired to the size of car its in.

My wife almost bought one instead of an SUV but the sitting up high thing was too strong to shake.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm This.

Wing matters doe. I see that in the rear view mirror :wub:
Dat wing doe. :jimp:

For your :fap: pleasure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:26 pm Also, I drove another car today that I really hadn't ever bothered to: Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring with :manuel:

It's a perfect daily driver. Seats are comfy, sightlines are good, Blose audio is :megusta: and it just feels good behind the wheel.

2.5 isn't a bad lump either, it's got some oomph for passing/merging.

Next gen 3 will have AWD available, eager to see what the final design looks like in LA.
With the 6AT it felt on par with a 9th gen Civic Si. A tad behind a MK6 GTI in acceleration, but better than it in corners.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 pm

With the 6AT it felt on par with a 9th gen Civic Si. A tad behind a MK6 GTI in acceleration, but better than it in corners.
The 3 definitely felt like it wanted to rotate far better than the GTI in corners, which took me by surprise. It's definitely a little softer, though.

But, as a commuter... I liked it. I really liked it far more than I expected. I've been riding shotgun in these as a :dillerman: but never took the time to drive one with :manuel:

If I had to dramatically cut costs, I'd totally be down to buy a used one and dump the :truk:
The lack of rotation ability killed the GTI's fun factor. It understeered something fierce. The 3 had more immediate steering too, sharper turn in.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:30 pm Even the base 3 is great. It's like 300 lbs lighter so the 2.0 is just as quick at real world speeds as the 2.5.
The 3 is a very solid, competent, good handling compact. It's the right size, too.

The new Civic is everything that's wrong with the segment. Bloated, overstyled, and it doesn't seem to come with that patent Honderp reliability.
The Civic is no longer in that segment IMO, it is now the "Accord" mazda kept their 3 a bit smaller that the rest.
I like the civic "hatch" as it is the perfect size for a usable for 4, 4 door vehicle. It is still small enough and light enough to have fun. The tech packed CVT powered sedans for 30k however are :disgust:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:12 pm

The Civic is no longer in that segment IMO, it is now the "Accord" mazda kept their 3 a bit smaller that the rest.
I like the civic "hatch" as it is the perfect size for a usable for 4, 4 door vehicle. It is still small enough and light enough to have fun. The tech packed CVT powered sedans for 30k however are :disgust:
Civic is pretty large now.
Wonder if they'll ever update the Fit, or if nobody cares about it anymore.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:12 pm

:whocares: about that minivan. The last fit was small and fun ... this one is a hideous box.
Johnny_P

Is the 3 getting the turbo engine too?

AWD turbo automatic new3 could be pretty rad.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:18 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm

:whocares: about that minivan. The last fit was small and fun ... this one is a hideous box.
I don't see too many of them anymore really. I think many people lease cars in the city where I live. Lots of new CUVs and Civics doe.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:21 pm Is the 3 getting the turbo engine too?

AWD turbo automatic new3 could be pretty rad.
:butwhy: would you want to have a 32k mazderp 3 as such... unless it is a mazdaspeeeed ...