Car Talk 4: The Richard Hertz Rent-A-Car 500

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:14 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 am When will :dillerman: start taking decent photosImageImage

NVM found better ones

ImageImage
What’s the point of taking photos of a new car ? Literally just go on any oem site and you got 3D shit from every angle. Imo that’s a waste of time.
Used :doe: they need to be at Mannheim quality with a ruler showing imperfections and a condition grade that is easy to follow and used by all :dillerman: the same way
I would never trust the manufacturer website pictures. You know as well as I do they never look true to life :disgust:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 am
max225 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:14 am
What’s the point of taking photos of a new car ? Literally just go on any oem site and you got 3D shit from every angle. Imo that’s a waste of time.
Used :doe: they need to be at Mannheim quality with a ruler showing imperfections and a condition grade that is easy to follow and used by all :dillerman: the same way
I would never trust the manufacturer website pictures. You know as well as I do they never look true to life :disgust:
That
Oh look at this nice navy blue. IRL it’s black.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:31 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 am

That
Not to mention renders of car on configurator is lowered by 3 inches.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:37 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:31 am

That
Not to mention renders of car on configurator is lowered by 3 inches.
:|
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

#poorvetteconfiguratorandnewmodelreleaseproblems
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

#poorvetteconfiguratorandnewmodelreleaseproblems
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2013 Mini Pooper

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 am When will :dillerman: start taking decent photos

NVM found better ones

:nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 am The latest green color on the rustang looks really good. Do want.

Too bad it's $40k for a 4 cylinder with the handling package and 10AT...
That combo was :notbad: it makes for a great daily. But that car was terribly inefficient in terms of space. It felt feet bigger than my 3 series. The hood was foot longer and it had an i4 not an i6, and 2 door vs 4 and a much smaller trunk... :wtf:
They actually are bigger than a 3 series... they sacrifice a lot in packaging to maintain the classic look of those cars, would be :neat: to see a four door Mustang with as much interior space as a Focus or something now that all other Ford cars are dead. It seems like it would be quite possible to do and wind up with a fun RWD fun efficient, manuel sporty car. I guess the 328i I have is the closest to that but I assume the 2.3 stangs are a lot more fun.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The 2.3 is a more powerful motor I prefer it. But the 3 series is just as fun to drive imo.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:07 am
max225 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 am
That combo was :notbad: it makes for a great daily. But that car was terribly inefficient in terms of space. It felt feet bigger than my 3 series. The hood was foot longer and it had an i4 not an i6, and 2 door vs 4 and a much smaller trunk... :wtf:
They actually are bigger than a 3 series... they sacrifice a lot in packaging to maintain the classic look of those cars, would be :neat: to see a four door Mustang with as much interior space as a Focus or something now that all other Ford cars are dead. It seems like it would be quite possible to do and wind up with a fun RWD fun efficient, manuel sporty car. I guess the 328i I have is the closest to that but I assume the 2.3 stangs are a lot more fun.
No 5 OH no care
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Giulia > 3-series in terms of driving dynamics?

Ecoboost Mustang is major :flaccid: doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:22 pm Giulia > 3-series in terms of driving dynamics?

Ecoboost Mustang is major :flaccid: doe.
No :manuel: no care.

I've never driven a Giulia :doe:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Hands down, the transmission in the Quad is the best transmission I've ever had in a car inclusive of manuals. Still not as much fun as a manual but definitely "better" in every way possible beyond us being snobs about manuals.
:bravo:

I think :[user not found]: and I are the only ones here who are ok with a well tuned flappy paddle thing.

Aprilia, up and down quickshifter (clutchless), so much fun.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:
D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm No :manuel: no care.

Hands down, the transmission in the Quad is the best transmission I've ever had in a car inclusive of manuals. Still not as much fun as a manual but definitely "better" in every way possible beyond us being snobs about manuals.
Is your goal in a street car to have fun or to turn the fastest lap times?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:50 pm

:notwrong: My 3 series is also better in every way with the automatic, but commuting is boring and the manual makes it entertaining (to me). It's more wanting something to do than anything. I am not someone who really enjoys relaxing.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

I really need to drive a RWD F30 cause my xDrive F31 with M Pkg & 19” drove like absolute shite.
Tall and boaty suspension and with what I believe is the worst steering feel in the segment.

I remember traveling in Norway with a V60 D6 rental (diesel PHEV, look it up) and hated how stiff but lifeless the steering was, and thinking how I missed my BMW parked at the airport.
Flew back, got in my car and immediately thought something was wrong but realized the steering was just as crap as the Volvo, just super light instead of stiff. :flaccid:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 pm I really need to drive a RWD F30 cause my xDrive F31 with M Pkg & 19” drove like absolute shite.
Tall and boaty suspension and with what I believe is the worst steering feel in the segment.

I remember traveling in Norway with a V60 D6 rental (diesel PHEV, look it up) and hated how stiff but lifeless the steering was, and thinking how I missed my BMW parked at the airport.
Flew back, got in my car and immediately thought something was wrong but realized the steering was just as crap as the Volvo, just super light instead of stiff. :flaccid:
:lolol: it’s not that great...

It’s your basic “drives better than an economy car or SUV but not as good as a Civic Si or GTI” honestly. With the exhaust and manual it’s fun-ish for commuting.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Swedish Chef wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:35 pm I really need to drive a RWD F30 cause my xDrive F31 with M Pkg & 19” drove like absolute shite.

not a huge difference imo, rwd felt less heavier but thats about it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:58 pm

:notwrong: My 3 series is also better in every way with the automatic, but commuting is boring and the manual makes it entertaining (to me). It's more wanting something to do than anything. I am not someone who really enjoys relaxing.
as someone whose been driving a DSG for almost 5 years, I even use the water bottle in the cupholder to pretend it's stick :lol: but since I live in a heavily populated area and now that I commute to DC now, I'm still glad I have the DSG under some :rage: circumstances by :derp: s who can't drive for shit.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Swedish Chef
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:09 am

It’s your basic “drives better than an economy car or SUV but not as good as a Civic Si or GTI” honestly. With the exhaust and manual it’s fun-ish for commuting.
That’s why I’d like to try one without xDrive cause even if it perhaps won’t be great, it should be miles better than what I was experiencing for a year behind the wheel of mine.

I’ve driven a Stelvio on two different occasions and was positively surprised both times over how nice they drive.
Not a whole lot of feel obviously but super quick steering that’s actually fun to throw left & right.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

4zilch wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:45 pm

I think :[user not found]: and I are the only ones here who are ok with a well tuned flappy paddle thing.

I like my PDK just fine.

Would I rather manual? Sometimes, because I miss it. The PDK is so much quicker though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Am I chopped liver?

brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Swedish Chef wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:09 am

That’s why I’d like to try one without xDrive cause even if it perhaps won’t be great, it should be miles better than what I was experiencing for a year behind the wheel of mine.

I’ve driven a Stelvio on two different occasions and was positively surprised both times over how nice they drive.
Not a whole lot of feel obviously but super quick steering that’s actually fun to throw left & right.
If you're ever in Charlotte, you're welcome to take mine for a trip to pound town.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've driven an E90 XDrive as some level of comparison... the hydraulic steering in that was definitely better than the electric in my F30.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:24 am

Am I chopped liver?

I guess I haven't heard your opinions, but now that I think about the GTI and fancy mx5, you're one of us too. :amaze:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...