Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:42 pm
I think modes are really just for marketing hype. Super cheap to implement (software) then the sales dudes can brag about all the modes. I'm with you, I can't stand them.

There's a push for offroad "terrain" selection too. :butwhy: just drive the damned vehicle.
:dat: if it makes sense it makes sense. But most of the time it is just something retarded like map gas pedal from 50% physical throttle =20% vs 60% etc... just tune it right from the getgo.
I do like selectable exhaust because I can't always go full bro in the AM without feeling like I am pissing people off around me.
Steering/throttle should have no selections IMO. I have never been a fan of the selectable suspensions, as it is hard to feel any difference for me. In the 335i I had to keep it on sport in the M3 i have to keep it on "comfort"
Selectable exhaust is 5/7. That's one I can really get excited about.

Why can't throttle pedals just be linear? Why does it need to be adjustable? Makes no sense.

I'm a big fan of MSRC, but agree that it's also too much fuss. That's why I love the Multimatics on the ZR2 because it rides great on road and off, and adjusts to environments mechanically so the driver doesn't have to do anything other than drive.

I really hope that use of tech is expanded.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm
max225 wrote:
Weird.... Those are carbon fiber driveshafts, such fancy kamry tech. I wonder how to check if my car is affected.
They're replacing the carbon fiber with steel. Such advanced materials. Much German engineering.

Didn't another car switch back to steel driveshafts after being refreshed, maybe 10-ish years ago? I can't remember the car :doe:
Crown Vics used to have MMX driveshafts on the police package Metal Matrix or some shit. BTW 2018+ M3s got the steel shafts giggidy... cost cutting...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm
Yea, it's really way beyond the fat cat execs getting their just rewards.

The auto industry is so massive and keeps so much of the country working that the impact would be staggering. For better or for worse.

I actually have a lot of trust in the current management at GM and FCA. GM in particular seems to be looking toward the future, FCA has managed massive profits to pay off all its debts so it's way more nimble going into hard times.

The industry is going to consolidate, no question. And I bet Ford will be one of the first to merge with someone else big (VW perhaps) to stay alive. A VW/Ford merger would be really interesting.
I don't think Ford/VW makes any sense. Outside of their shitty :truk: portfolio... I guess VW makes decent cars compared to fraud. Ugh :disgust:
VW is strong where Ford is weak and vice versa. Both geographically and portfolios. Makes perfect sense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Companies will merge. It's inevitable. Vehicles are getting so costly to engineer and produce, sharing resources to maximize scale will be critical.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:57 pm
max225 wrote:
Weird.... Those are carbon fiber driveshafts, such fancy kamry tech. I wonder how to check if my car is affected.
They're replacing the carbon fiber with steel. Such advanced materials. Much German engineering.

Didn't another car switch back to steel driveshafts after being refreshed, maybe 10-ish years ago? I can't remember the car :doe:
Yea the Beemah forum fools were so up in arms. You cannot fkn tell the difference when you drive a carbon vs steel equipped M3 or M4......useless. BMW stopped carbon last year. Its all steel for the M3 and M4's.
Last edited by Davestr on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:59 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm
:dat: if it makes sense it makes sense. But most of the time it is just something retarded like map gas pedal from 50% physical throttle =20% vs 60% etc... just tune it right from the getgo.
I do like selectable exhaust because I can't always go full bro in the AM without feeling like I am pissing people off around me.
Steering/throttle should have no selections IMO. I have never been a fan of the selectable suspensions, as it is hard to feel any difference for me. In the 335i I had to keep it on sport in the M3 i have to keep it on "comfort"
Selectable exhaust is 5/7. That's one I can really get excited about.

Why can't throttle pedals just be linear? Why does it need to be adjustable? Makes no sense.

I'm a big fan of MSRC, but agree that it's also too much fuss. That's why I love the Multimatics on the ZR2 because it rides great on road and off, and adjusts to environments mechanically so the driver doesn't have to do anything other than drive.

I really hope that use of tech is expanded.
:dat:

pretty much aligned on all points
Davestr

Nice read on the only supercar plant in the US - https://jalopnik.com/inside-the-only-su ... 1830088702
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm Companies will merge. It's inevitable. Vehicles are getting so costly to engineer and produce, sharing resources to maximize scale will be critical.
It really makes no sense to have
Accord
Fusion
Camry
Sonata
Altima
Maxima
Galant
200 (rip)
They are all so god damn similar it is nuts...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:01 pm Companies will merge. It's inevitable. Vehicles are getting so costly to engineer and produce, sharing resources to maximize scale will be critical.
It really makes no sense to have
Accord
Fusion
Camry
Sonata
Altima
Maxima
Galant
200 (rip)
They are all so god damn similar it is nuts...
Yep, totally.

Even if you don't want to kill brands (which should probably happen too), why can't those vehicles share platforms or parts and be differentiated by content options or something. Does someone who buys a Camry care if the engine is the same as the one in a Sonata? Other than reliability, I highly doubt it.

Sergio (RIP) was making a big deal about this years ago and everyone laughed. He was absolutely right though. That's going to be the next big transition for the industry, especially as vehicles are increasingly commoditized...pods.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Spending a few minutes looking, I can't find the other car I was thinking about that had carbon fiber driveshaft issues and downgraded back to steel like the M4.

You know what had carbon fiber with no issues for its whole run though? :wankel:

Dat Japanese lightweight simple design >> Rube Goldberg Germans
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm Nice read on the only supercar plant in the US - https://jalopnik.com/inside-the-only-su ... 1830088702
Kind of sad that, that particular car has been such an epic failure from a sales perspective. It is priced really well.... but it seems like the customers :aintcare:
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Davestr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 pm Nice read on the only supercar plant in the US - https://jalopnik.com/inside-the-only-su ... 1830088702
Kind of sad that, that particular car has been such an epic failure from a sales perspective. It is priced really well.... but it seems like the customers :aintcare:
It amazes me that :waxer: and his 1%'er bros would rather drive a supercharged :poorvette: than an NSX, R8, 570GT, etc.

When 2nd gear does 100 mph, there is no fun benefit to having :manuel: anymore so that excuse doesn't make sense.
Davestr

I would own it. Unique machine. I like the looks and it has more than enough power. Perfect for you and your lust for the AZN fem fatale :)
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:31 pm

It amazes me that :waxer: and his 1%'er bros would rather drive a supercharged :poorvette: than an NSX, R8, 570GT, etc.

When 2nd gear does 100 mph, there is no fun benefit to having :manuel: anymore so that excuse doesn't make sense.
I think it doesn't have a Vadge to support the price tag I suppose. But Fraud had no issue with the GT and now it's more than new... perhaps same thing will happen to the NSX due to the limited production.
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:32 pm

I would own it. Unique machine. I like the looks and it has more than enough power. Perfect for you and your lust for the AZN fem fatale :)
American made too. I like em a fair amount, I do wonder about reliability :doe: because it is immensely complicated compared to your average honda with nothing but 1 off parts.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:34 pm

American made too. I like em a fair amount, I do wonder about reliability :doe: because it is immensely complicated compared to your average honda with nothing but 1 off parts.
Will dig around for issues/stats etc on how the car is doing overall in a useful/reliability sense....
Davestr

Max sounds like a nice car to own and drive...daily overall - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/r ... road-test/
troyguitar

The R8 probably makes the most sense to actually use when it comes to cars like that. They've been refining that drivetrain for a long ass time and the car appears to use a lot more common parts... plus it sounds incredible.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:33 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:31 pm

I think it doesn't have a Vadge to support the price tag I suppose. But Fraud had no issue with the GT and now it's more than new... perhaps same thing will happen to the NSX due to the limited production.
Ford stated out the gate what the production qty would be and how long it would run. That scarcity creates demand.

Acura doesn't have the brand, and it seems to be willing to produce the car to whatever demand for an open amount of time. It's also expensive and super techy.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 pm

The R8 probably makes the most sense to actually use when it comes to cars like that. They've been refining that drivetrain for a long ass time and the car appears to use a lot more common parts... plus it sounds incredible.
I love the R8.

A first gen V8 :manuel: would be 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-R8-4-2L-M ... :0&vxp=mtr

This is base C7 money...and WAY cooler. Dat gated shifter... :jimp:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-R8-4-2L-M ... :0&vxp=mtr

Dem Carbon issues tho .... they also don’t make advertised power :(
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:27 pm https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-R8-4-2L-M ... :0&vxp=mtr

I'm sure it's fast enough and looks badass. Perfect for a toy car.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm

:whocares:

You could be Iron Man :bruh:
max225

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/vw-ford- ... ector.html

VW and Fraud in talks on autonomous cars... :mindblown: