Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Back to cars for a moment,

This looks ridiculous but it would be fun to hoon:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/honey ... ate=043018
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:03 pm Back to cars for a moment,

Looks like a next gen Fit Hype R.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:10 pm

That's what I thought, but the article said it's smaller than the Fit/Jazz.
it appears to preview the next generation of the aforementioned Brio city car, which is an Asia-market offering that’s one size smaller than a Fit (called Jazz in other markets)
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:10 pm

That's what I thought, but the article said it's smaller than the Fit/Jazz.
it appears to preview the next generation of the aforementioned Brio city car, which is an Asia-market offering that’s one size smaller than a Fit (called Jazz in other markets)
:word:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 pm
Absolutely. New car smell makes them wet.
Offgassing plastic aw hell yeah
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm :sad: that max isn't here to slap some sense into everyone reminding us that it's $30,000 for a 12 year old Pcar that has driven halfway to the moon with an unreliable motor that at any moment could require a repair that would cost $66% of what the car is worth.
Total IMS failure is an easy $30k+ repair.

I had a 2006 Cayman in a few weeks ago with cylinder 1 scoring and massive oil loss... something that’s becoming common on the early Cayman S models. From soup to nuts it was a $28k cash repair on a car worth $20.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm :sad: that max isn't here to slap some sense into everyone reminding us that it's $30,000 for a 12 year old Pcar that has driven halfway to the moon with an unreliable motor that at any moment could require a repair that would cost $66% of what the car is worth.

I had a 2006 Cayman in a few weeks ago with cylinder 1 scoring and massive oil loss... something that’s becoming common on the early Cayman S models. From soup to nuts it was a $28k cash repair on a car worth $20.
I have read that the cylinder scoring/chunking is an issue on the 3.4 but not really on the base cars. I'm thinking 07-08 2.7+5MT Cayman at this point with a few MODZZZ. Tarett sway bars and camber plates, fabspeed headers+tune, wavetrac diff. Lots of :stig: for around $25k.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm
fledonfoot wrote:

I have read that the cylinder scoring/chunking is an issue on the 3.4 but not really on the base cars. I'm thinking 07-08 2.7+5MT Cayman at this point with a few MODZZZ. Tarett sway bars and camber plates, fabspeed headers+tune, wavetrac diff. Lots of :stig: for around $25k.
It’s not really much of an issue on the base cars... but the problem with them is that they are really, really slow. And they feel like it. It’s like FR-S levels of having to wind it out.

I had a base cayman in for service in the fall that had a full Fabspeed exhaust, some suspension work and buckets. It was loud, jolty, and thoroughly unimpressive. I think a Golf R is a better buy over a base cayman.
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm I have read that the cylinder scoring/chunking is an issue on the 3.4 but not really on the base cars. I'm thinking 07-08 2.7+5MT Cayman at this point with a few MODZZZ. Tarett sway bars and camber plates, fabspeed headers+tune, wavetrac diff. Lots of :stig: for around $25k.
It’s not really much of an issue on the base cars... but the problem with them is that they are really, really slow. And they feel like it. It’s like FR-S levels of having to wind it out.

I had a base cayman in for service in the fall that had a full Fabspeed exhaust, some suspension work and buckets. It was loud, jolty, and thoroughly unimpressive. I think a Golf R is a better buy over a base cayman.
We have different definitions of slow and different opinions of fun power delivery. I hate torque. I love that I "have" to rev my car over 7k for it to be quick... and it feels reasonably quick at that RPM. A base 987.1 with intake+headers+tune averages 50% more power than my car at the same weight with about 10% longer gearing. If that's really really slow, then my car must be a worthless pile of garbage.

People are often really dumb about modding cars though, so a random customer's modded car at a :dillerman: being terrible is not surprising.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:30 pm
fledonfoot wrote:

We have different definitions of slow and different opinions of fun power delivery. I hate torque. I love that I "have" to rev my car over 7k for it to be quick... and it feels reasonably quick at that RPM. A base 987.1 with intake+headers+tune averages 50% more power than my car at the same weight with about 10% longer gearing. If that's really really slow, then my car must be a worthless pile of garbage.

People are often really dumb about modding cars though, so a random customer's modded car at a :dillerman: being terrible is not surprising.
Sorry about the landfill in your driveway. :(
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

It's in the garage now :bruh:

I have to get a running start to make it up the driveway though, there's not enough power to make it up the hill otherwise.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:

I really don’t think we have different definitions of slow... I daily drove an FR-S for 60,000+ miles with Koni suspension, 1” drop hotchkis springs and sways, and a complete bushing kit for the motor, trans, steering rack and diff. A car you’ve got to drive at 9/10s in city traffic to keep up. That had to be 6-8K RPM to keep moving... and it’s a car I really miss and probably my favorite car I’ve ever owned.

That car I was talking about was literally full exhaust, dampers and bucket seats. Not exactly poorly modded.

But that’s my point. You’re spending $25-30k on a base Cayman with questionable provenance and and obscene maintenance and repair costs. $25-30k buys a fully prepped Miata, 86, a well sorted C6 or C5Z... there are easily a dozen cars to buy instead of a base 987.

If you’re even remotely considering it I’d try and find one to rent on Turo... you’ll likely find it completely underwhelming. The jump up to an 07 S (for the powe hump) or an 08+ facelift car is indeed money well spent and you’ll end up getting more for your money on a stock S vs modding a base car.

But then when you go to sell it, be prepared for the service history fight. Not having dealership service records on he car is going to hit resale value with all the planet9/rennlist “enthusiasts” that make up the market. They are amongst the worst car shoppers I’ve ever dealt with.

The base car is the wrong car, and an 86 is just as fun to drive at the limit.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

And I honestly think the RX8 you have is a better track toy option than the base 987.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Yeah. And that’s why people are scared of them. I thought the scoring and porosity and such issues were due to sulfur content in fuel which has gone down and should be a problem anymore?

Dang. Mother of dangs.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 pm And I honestly think the RX8 you have is a better track toy option than the base 987.
I love me some RX8. I really want a Miata doe. Drop top and all. For the muggings and bus exhaust fumes and fuck my ear drums.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:27 pm And I honestly think the RX8 you have is a better track toy option than the base 987.
I love me some RX8. I really want a Miata doe. Drop top and all. For the muggings and bus exhaust fumes and fuck my ear drums.
I want my FR-S back.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:poorvette:
troyguitar

fledonfoot wrote:And I honestly think the RX8 you have is a better track toy option than the base 987.
Who's looking for a track toy? I only own one car that I drive every day, I never track it, I have no interest in putting a top down, and I very rarely go over 75 mph. Performance difference at autox is relatively small between any of these types of cars (affordable sports cars) when they're well set up, so it's largely down to looks/feels/sounds plus practical concerns and the one thing that it seems like no one ever takes into account but it matters: SCCA classing.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

:like:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 pm

I really don’t think we have different definitions of slow... I daily drove an FR-S for 60,000+ miles with Koni suspension, 1” drop hotchkis springs and sways, and a complete bushing kit for the motor, trans, steering rack and diff. A car you’ve got to drive at 9/10s in city traffic to keep up. That had to be 6-8K RPM to keep moving... and it’s a car I really miss and probably my favorite car I’ve ever owned.

That car I was talking about was literally full exhaust, dampers and bucket seats. Not exactly poorly modded.

But that’s my point. You’re spending $25-30k on a base Cayman with questionable provenance and and obscene maintenance and repair costs. $25-30k buys a fully prepped Miata, 86, a well sorted C6 or C5Z... there are easily a dozen cars to buy instead of a base 987.

If you’re even remotely considering it I’d try and find one to rent on Turo... you’ll likely find it completely underwhelming. The jump up to an 07 S (for the powe hump) or an 08+ facelift car is indeed money well spent and you’ll end up getting more for your money on a stock S vs modding a base car.

But then when you go to sell it, be prepared for the service history fight. Not having dealership service records on he car is going to hit resale value with all the planet9/rennlist “enthusiasts” that make up the market. They are amongst the worst car shoppers I’ve ever dealt with.

100% this, when i was thinking p-car when i was shopping back in the day it was 987-2 or nothing. the base 987 really is not a good buy.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 pm

:wrong:

We've :deadhorse: this before. Selling a Porsche is no different than selling a Camry. Plenty of guys here have shopped them without service records, it's NBD.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:24 pm I really don’t think we have different definitions of slow... I daily drove an FR-S for 60,000+ miles with Koni suspension, 1” drop hotchkis springs and sways, and a complete bushing kit for the motor, trans, steering rack and diff. A car you’ve got to drive at 9/10s in city traffic to keep up. That had to be 6-8K RPM to keep moving... and it’s a car I really miss and probably my favorite car I’ve ever owned.

:wrong:

We've :deadhorse: this before. Selling a Porsche is no different than selling a Camry. Plenty of guys here have shopped them without service records, it's NBD.
If you don't pay that premium up front and don't continue to pay it for :dillerman: service, why would you expect to sell the car for a premium later? You know how much a $15k Cayman can depreciate? $15k. That's the same as a new :turboyaris:

Now, buying a $40k+ 987.2S is a different story. You're locked into :waxer: :dillerman: service if you want to get that money back on resale... plus the car has more expensive parts on it anyway.

The spec for a 987.2S that I'd want over a basic bolt-on 987.1 is $50k and impossible to find: S in a real color with Sport Buckets (not sport seats, the $4k bucket option), LSD, Sport Chrono, PASM, :manuel: and ideally PCCB but those are just cool and not necessary. It costs double to buy and at least double to maintain, it's not really an option.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am
Detroit wrote: :wrong:

If you don't pay that premium up front and don't continue to pay it for :dillerman: service, why would you expect to sell the car for a premium later? You know how much a $15k Cayman can depreciate? $15k. That's the same as a new :turboyaris:

Now, buying a $40k+ 987.2S is a different story. You're locked into :waxer: :dillerman: service if you want to get that money back on resale... plus the car has more expensive parts on it anyway.

The spec for a 987.2S that I'd want over a basic bolt-on 987.1 is $50k and impossible to find: S in a real color with Sport Buckets (not sport seats, the $4k bucket option), LSD, Sport Chrono, PASM, :manuel: and ideally PCCB but those are just cool and not necessary. It costs double to buy and at least double to maintain, it's not really an option.
Finding a $15k Cayman is the hard part, and then selling it again for $15k will be immensely difficult wading through all the people asking for records, etc. Yes it will sell for $15k eventually, but it'll be a hassle dealing with the :derp:

Selling my $7k 951 was ridiculous.

But I know I'm :wrong: and it's #fakenews.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am
Detroit wrote: :wrong:

Have you been in those sport buckets before? Honestly they kind of suck, especially for passengers or for longer drives. They pinch your shoulders forward.

LSD is hard to find and the Porsche stock one is known to start slipping early into its life. IDK if there are others on the market but I wouldn't necessarily let the LSD dictate the car because the stock one is rather poor.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am If you don't pay that premium up front and don't continue to pay it for :dillerman: service, why would you expect to sell the car for a premium later? You know how much a $15k Cayman can depreciate? $15k. That's the same as a new :turboyaris:

Finding a $15k Cayman is the hard part, and then selling it again for $15k will be immensely difficult wading through all the people asking for records, etc. Yes it will sell for $15k eventually, but it'll be a hassle dealing with the :derp:

Selling my $7k 951 was ridiculous.

But I know I'm :wrong: and it's #fakenews.
Sell it to carmax for maximum :aintcare: