Northern MI Cucklyfe: Floating Garage Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Depends on the car, its history, and how much you're willing to do yourself.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm Kids would change the equation greatly. What I'm doing is admittedly very selfish and not what the masses would consider responsible. But I've never wanted kids, married a woman who feels the same and made choices in life to enable my selfish lifestyle.

But the real point I struggle with is "live a little". I almost view choices to forego fancy material things in the pursuit of freedom from normal life bullshit as "living a lot", not "a little". Traditional retirement schemes, property ladder bullshit, and college savings accounts don't have to apply to everyone. it's a big choice that I'm not taking lightly, and also why I'm torturing the car spending so much. Other than the house, it's the highest dollar purchase decision we make and I'm trying to be smart with weighing the balance between TRUE wants and needs.
I have been reading all of this. The truck is the proper choice ATM. It’s not like JP is selling an Electric Blue Supercharged Evora with 3K miles on it. There are other STIs. Tell your wife to try and overcome the typical women failings of being consistent and being accountable. Also you should have never sold your Corvette. It was not too powerful or fast. It kicked ass. I never get in my Corvette, push the boom button and think “I should have more balanced car.“ I think that covers it. Carry on.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 pm Kids would change the equation greatly. What I'm doing is admittedly very selfish and not what the masses would consider responsible. But I've never wanted kids, married a woman who feels the same and made choices in life to enable my selfish lifestyle.

But the real point I struggle with is "live a little". I almost view choices to forego fancy material things in the pursuit of freedom from normal life bullshit as "living a lot", not "a little". Traditional retirement schemes, property ladder bullshit, and college savings accounts don't have to apply to everyone. it's a big choice that I'm not taking lightly, and also why I'm torturing the car spending so much. Other than the house, it's the highest dollar purchase decision we make and I'm trying to be smart with weighing the balance between TRUE wants and needs.
I have been reading all of this. The truck is the proper choice ATM. It’s not like JP is selling an Electric Blue Supercharged Evora with 3K miles on it. There are other STIs. Tell your wife to try and overcome the typical women failings of being consistent and being accountable. Also you should have never sold your Corvette. It was not too powerful or fast. It kicked ass. I never get in my Corvette, push the boom button and think “I should have more balanced car.“ I think that covers it. Carry on.
I never drove the Corvette. It sucked downstate with nowhere to enjoy driving it. Would I prefer to have it here? Maybe. But I still don't really miss the car at all, it's weird.

Once the move is done and the house is fixed up, wife will be more accommodating. The real question is if I'll even care at that point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:38 pm

I never drove the Corvette. It sucked downstate with nowhere to enjoy driving it. Would I prefer to have it here? Maybe. But I still don't really miss the car at all, it's weird.

Once the move is done and the house is fixed up, wife will be more accommodating. The real question is if I'll even care at that point.
I don’t miss mine either and it was flipping perfect
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:16 pm

They're just rather difficult to live with overall. I liked the car a lot, but never really LOVED it.

I'm much more interested in a 4th Gen F Body or GTO.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:25 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 pm

They're just rather difficult to live with overall. I liked the car a lot, but never really LOVED it.

I even DD'ed it, rain or shine. It is a great car for a weekend thing or what not... but getting in and out sucks, parking sucks, ride sucks, lowness sucks. There are other cars that are nearly/just as fast and way easier to live with like an M3. Or the ones you mentioned.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:34 pm

I even DD'ed it, rain or shine. It is a great car for a weekend thing or what not... but getting in and out sucks, parking sucks, ride sucks, lowness sucks. There are other cars that are nearly/just as fast and way easier to live with like an M3. Or the ones you mentioned.
I wish e90 M3s were more reliable. That would be a ton of fun.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm

Yea... but I think given your skill set and garage availability it isn't too bad. You can even do the rod bearings yourself, it doesn't seem too bad of a job if you have access to a lift.

But anything with over 100k I'd shy away from. M cars are made of glass and need EVERYTHING replaced by that mileage. And it gets pricy unless someone already bit the bullet.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:56 am
coogles wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 am

:impressive:

There’s a reason all of the cool kids are doing Safari 911s. They’re supposed to have great dynamics on loose surfaces.
The physics are there for good traction, absolutely. I guess I was worried about those same physics and the propensity for snap oversteer to make for a potentially really bad time having fun in the snow.
I'm not saying this never happened :doe: ... :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm
Yea... but I think given your skill set and garage availability it isn't too bad. You can even do the rod bearings yourself, it doesn't seem too bad of a job if you have access to a lift.

But anything with over 100k I'd shy away from. M cars are made of glass and need EVERYTHING replaced by that mileage. And it gets pricy unless someone already bit the bullet.
I can't really buy something that's going to require a bunch of work or get in the way of enjoyment. Wife would really :nuke: :nope: At that point, unless it was a smoking deal, and I'm not sure anything with an M badge will ever be a deal.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The early m roadsters are very tempting imo
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm The early m roadsters are very tempting imo
I don't fit well in them sadly. They're too cramped for me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:35 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm The early m roadsters are very tempting imo
Well gosh dang. Being 5'11 I always forget about tall mfers
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:35 pm
6'5 is surprisingly limiting for vehicles. Pretty much anything Japanese is off the table outside of Subaru for some reason. Most small cars are :nope: from anywhere.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:14 pm

6'5 is surprisingly limiting for vehicles. Pretty much anything Japanese is off the table outside of Subaru for some reason. Most small cars are :nope: from anywhere.
Well BRZ are 10k now
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 pm
Well BRZ are 10k now
Their high on my list...I fit in them well. Just kind of want MOAR speed.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Well BRZ are 10k now
I would be shocked if you can't get one and supercharge it for less than $15k all in. There's a guy on Vortex with a LFX swapped rx-8 who is all in for about $17,000. I know :tits: and you too some extent, don't want a project, but both sound like fun to me.
max225

10k? Am I just on a different planet ?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/d/ ... 95916.html
over 100k miles and 50% more than that.
max225

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 15762.html

10.5K for a ragged to shit one with a salvage title.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm

Well BRZ are 10k now
Edelbrock or Harrop supercharger would solve that problem. :evilplan:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:51 pm 10k? Am I just on a different planet ?

Ok the lowest I've seen in my area was 10.9 for autos, and this is a non beat manual. 90k miles

ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What could possibly go wrong
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:51 pm 10k? Am I just on a different planet ?

Maybe pre ‘VID. My buddy got his 2013 FRS with 75k miles last year for $12.5k, one owner ( middle aged woman), manuel, nice condition, etc. His car still looks basically new inside. They are made of cheap materials but rather well built vehicles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:notwrong: but those cars are either expensive, unreliable, or both. Anything else with the performance and robustness of any given Corvette is at least 2X in price. It’s also not bad with the ride height jacked up. It looks a little goofy but it works. It’s been my only car for 4+ of the last 6 years. Your Z probably comes closest to being as good a driver, as reliable, and still pretty inexpensive.

I have looked at E90 M3s a lot recently. They’re tempting at $20k now but I just don’t have the time to do stuff like replace rod bearings or the inclination to pay a rape palace $5k every other year for such things.