OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:57 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:46 am

What do you guys want to do in retirement?

My concern is that without a bunch of money to travel, do stuff like track days/other hobbies, retirement would be pretty GD boring. I am trying to strike a balance of doing a lot and enjoying life now while still saving to hopefully call it quits on the work :bs: eventually. I think I'd rather work a job with PTO than sit at home and watch TV with a very tight budget.
My goal is to find a job that I can do wherever that doesn't consume my life. I can do something like that for a long time AND feel the :fuckyeah: of freedom from non stop working.

I was off for a month and a half, and honestly started getting a bit bored toward the end. Fear of running out of savings (which I had a year's worth of expenses, but it still ate at my mind) kept me from really getting into hobbies much at all. We didn't even really travel as much as I hoped, for various reasons. What I learned is that being 100% :scrooge: for the future and just sitting around at home isn't a ton of fun either. I'd hike and do free outside stuff, but I want more.
:dat:

I don't need to have millions of dollars or get a mansion or anything like that, but it would be fun to travel, hike and stuff outside of my own neighborhood sometimes, track day stuff would be cool if that still exists.

It would be kind of cool to get into some sort of teaching, maintain benefits and some income but get a significant amount of time off and maybe feel like my work was a little more meaningful. :iono: :doe: , it seems like I'm stuck in my current situation for now :thisisfine:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:38 am I mean, it's doable if you want to work forever. We don't, so every dollar spent on luxuries like travel means more time spent working.

My concern is that without a bunch of money to travel, do stuff like track days/other hobbies, retirement would be pretty GD boring. I am trying to strike a balance of doing a lot and enjoying life now while still saving to hopefully call it quits on the work :bs: eventually. I think I'd rather work a job with PTO than sit at home and watch TV with a very tight budget.
The same things we do now, but without having to half-ass everything because there's never enough time.

In 6 months we've been to the beach once. There's no time when 50+ hours a week are gone and every other waking moment is blown on various chores and errands.

I have a drum kit that I haven't played in a year. That alone is a 10000 hour endeavor whenever I finally start playing the damn thing. Do you not have anything you'd rather do than make money?
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:54 am The tricky thing is finding affordable places to stay anymore... just like real estate, airBNBs and hotels and such have really jumped in the past few years.
We've looked in some less desirable areas (that we find desirable) like ABQ and it looks like 1,500-2k isn't impossible just for a studio apt or something small. We don't need anything crazy. That could all change when we want to leave, so who knows. A blend of airbnb and vanlyfe is really appealing to us as well, but a van is a $60-$80k thing all said and done.
I've no interest in traveling anywhere in the US, except maybe Hawaii/PR.

My fantasy is to spend summers in France while saving enough money to retire and move there permanently, then spend time traveling around the rest of Europe with somewhere like Marseille as our home base. It'll never happen of course, but that's the dream.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:07 am
D Griff wrote:

The same things we do now, but without having to half-ass everything because there's never enough time.

In 6 months we've been to the beach once. There's no time when 50+ hours a week are gone and every other waking moment is blown on various chores and errands.

I have a drum kit that I haven't played in a year. That alone is a 10000 hour endeavor whenever I finally start playing the damn thing. Do you not have anything you'd rather do than make money?
I don't really, and I find that SAD. It's a bit of an internal crisis for me TBH.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 am
Detroit wrote: We've looked in some less desirable areas (that we find desirable) like ABQ and it looks like 1,500-2k isn't impossible just for a studio apt or something small. We don't need anything crazy. That could all change when we want to leave, so who knows. A blend of airbnb and vanlyfe is really appealing to us as well, but a van is a $60-$80k thing all said and done.
I've no interest in traveling anywhere in the US, except maybe Hawaii/PR.

My fantasy is to spend summers in France while saving enough money to retire and move there permanently, then spend time traveling around the rest of Europe with somewhere like Marseille as our home base. It'll never happen of course, but that's the dream.
There's areas of Europe that aren't THAT expensive. I think the hardest thing would be working through the time difference if you had a gig here. Wife and I have talked about spending a few months in Spain, maybe it'll happen at some point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote:

Play music again, more bike riding, traveling, track/bike stuff in other areas - I would love to check out track days and bike races in other states if I had time and money. Some of this stuff isn't much money at all, some is. I think I would be stressed without income as well :doe:

:iono: we shall see.
troyguitar

Shit, I could occupy an entire lifetime just learning languages and reading old books. I'm a nerd so I would also be down to play video games for a few hours a day. That was fun as hell as a kid. I want to learn some martial arts and fencing too. I want to learn how to weld and paint and make some cool project cars. I want to get my ass in shape to do some triathlons. I want to spend a month at the Acropolis. On and on and on...

I also want to sit on my ass and RELAX for a few hours every day.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 am I've no interest in traveling anywhere in the US, except maybe Hawaii/PR.

There's areas of Europe that aren't THAT expensive. I think the hardest thing would be working through the time difference if you had a gig here. Wife and I have talked about spending a few months in Spain, maybe it'll happen at some point.
The hard part is saving the millions needed to buy a place and retire there, because insignificant people like us are never going to get jobs there and we aren't lucky enough to have been born with family connections to the EU.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 am
Detroit wrote: There's areas of Europe that aren't THAT expensive. I think the hardest thing would be working through the time difference if you had a gig here. Wife and I have talked about spending a few months in Spain, maybe it'll happen at some point.
The hard part is saving the millions needed to buy a place and retire there, because insignificant people like us are never going to get jobs there and we aren't lucky enough to have been born with family connections to the EU.
I don't see why someone couldn't work a remote job based in the US in the EU, if you were willing to adjust your work schedule. My current company has a team of developers in Poland, they've been part of the company for a few years, and it works fine. My boss told me about a project manager we have that has lived all over the world while he's worked here. As long as he makes meetings and work gets done, they're ZFG where he's located.

It depends on the company, but seems plausible at some point.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 am The hard part is saving the millions needed to buy a place and retire there, because insignificant people like us are never going to get jobs there and we aren't lucky enough to have been born with family connections to the EU.
I don't see why someone couldn't work a remote job based in the US in the EU, if you were willing to adjust your work schedule. My current company has a team of developers in Poland, they've been part of the company for a few years, and it works fine. My boss told me about a project manager we have that has lived all over the world while he's worked here. As long as he makes meetings and work gets done, they're ZFG where he's located.

Someone has to pay for the immigration/visas/etc. for both of us, dunno how to convince anyone to do that. It's so far into the fantasy realm that I don't know the details :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:52 am
Detroit wrote: I don't see why someone couldn't work a remote job based in the US in the EU, if you were willing to adjust your work schedule. My current company has a team of developers in Poland, they've been part of the company for a few years, and it works fine. My boss told me about a project manager we have that has lived all over the world while he's worked here. As long as he makes meetings and work gets done, they're ZFG where he's located.

Someone has to pay for the immigration/visas/etc. for both of us, dunno how to convince anyone to do that. It's so far into the fantasy realm that I don't know the details :doe:
I haven't looked into it at all, just seems somewhat feasible in theory.

I'm also not interested in permanently moving for a very long time since our COL here is so cheap and I like the life here a lot. I'm far more interested in relocating for a month or two at a time then coming home. Maybe I'd find a place that I'd like to move to, but I really enjoy the sense of adventure and learning a new place, so figuring out how to make that part of regular life would work really well.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:57 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:46 am

My goal is to find a job that I can do wherever that doesn't consume my life. I can do something like that for a long time AND feel the :fuckyeah: of freedom from non stop working.

I was off for a month and a half, and honestly started getting a bit bored toward the end. Fear of running out of savings (which I had a year's worth of expenses, but it still ate at my mind) kept me from really getting into hobbies much at all. We didn't even really travel as much as I hoped, for various reasons. What I learned is that being 100% :scrooge: for the future and just sitting around at home isn't a ton of fun either. I'd hike and do free outside stuff, but I want more.
Agreed with all, when there wasn't much work for me during the early corona stage, at first it felt good, but you get bored really quick no matter where you are. My pay got cut in half. Especially if you like to socialize with your close friends who also work. I got bored to a point where I joined a gen z app called tiktok (please don't cave in, it ruined my life haha). I'm currently on :scrooge: mode to the point where I postponed to get my car (but not for food, clothes and such, and I just ordered my iphone 13 thats coming tomorrow as well since my 10r has became a problem child) as I'm saving it at this point. Also to potentially join a long roadtrip to present the products (which Im waiting a green light for) for the company I just started working for. This includes being in socal for 2 weeks.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote:

The trick to this is that doing some of it is better than none of it. I am the same way sometimes but I have to catch myself and force myself to do things like read, game, etc.

But yeah… even if you don’t do 10,000 hours worth of drumming, it would still be fun to do no matter how many hours; 10,000 > 1,000 > 100 > 10 > 1 > 0
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

What in the blue fuq is going on around here, you crazy bastids?
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:39 pm What in the blue fuq is going on around here, you crazy bastids?
Pretty quiet. Working away on Monday.

Where you been? All good?
Irish

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:49 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:39 pm What in the blue fuq is going on around here, you crazy bastids?

Yeah everything is fine. I have been lurking a bit but didn't really have anything to add. Congrats on the new gig, I hope it everything you need it it to be.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:49 pm

Yeah everything is fine. I have been lurking a bit but didn't really have anything to add. Congrats on the new gig, I hope it everything you need it it to be.
Thanks! Bills paid, stress is low, hours are a bit long, but overall can't complain.
Desertbreh

A few retirement notes from someone who who is starting to close the distance on that goal, and frankly probably SHOULD just say fuck it right now.....

1. Unless you are going to rent an apartment in Marseilles (which would be :notbad:) you need to have SOMEPLACE to live rent free/mortgage free. Slay at least one house payment and don't look back.
2. One thing you guys are pretty good at is focusing on HEALTHY hobbies like cycling. These are the retirement hobbies that will keep you ALIVE and out of the health care system.
3. Do not underestimate INSURANCE COSTS in planning your exit. You will need both medical insurance AND long term care insurance to make sure all the money you saved up doesn't get annihilated by you or your spouse getting stuck in some kind of assisted living burning 9 grand a month. Benefits matter.
4. At age 52 I am really starting to appreciate that tomorrow is promises to no man, WAY MORE, than say four years ago. The urgency to enjoy what life has to offer while I am still above ground is getting stronger by the day.
5. My kid will be in UCLA for the next 2 to 2.5 years so that makes me want to stay close to home until she's done but the chances of her staying in CA are slim and returning to the desert are NONE.
6. I have been focused on someplace else to call home in the U.S. when we really say fuck it.........but I'm not sure that's the way to go anymore. I think all the comments about renting for a few months a year someplace new are a great idea and my U.S. presence may become a Sprinter Van instead of a house.
7. Last comment is that some of you young guys might want to think about a self-directed 401(k)/IRA that would allow you to create an income producing business like a self-storage which would provide far larger retirement returns than simply whittling away at whatever block of cash you have saved up.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:howdy:

Not much here, went to Connecticut for the weekend for a little college reunion of sorts. My buddy and his wife who both went to college with me live on a small lake up there, so we mostly just chilled on the water, did a bit of hiking around, and eating/drinking a lot. It was 5/7 but I found my motivation at work today is zero. I've been really struggling of late with it. I just have zero give-a-shit about this job/company. Hopefully I can pull some motivation out of my ass tomorrow.

What's new with you?
troyguitar

I've been reading up on property tax laws here today, :jesus: it's a PITA.

I'm trying to figure out how to improve our place without ended up paying $10k+ a year in taxes alone. At that point having a "paid off" home isn't quite so powerful. As it is we'll be on the hook for about $7k next year and 3% more every following year, assuming we make no improvements.

Apparently there's an amendment to the FL constitution going on the ballot next year which would create an exemption in additional assessments for improvements/additions designed to avoid/mitigate flood damage, as long as you end up with no more than 110% of your original square footage or 1500 square feet. Since our place is only 1003 sq ft, it seems like we might be able to build a garage with a <497 sq ft living space over the top of it without triggering an increased assessment. Having the additional living space be 10 feet above the ground should count as flood mitigation... maybe... assuming that the amendment passes... and it won't take effect until 1/1/2023. :notsure:
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm

Not much here, went to Connecticut for the weekend for a little college reunion of sorts. My buddy and his wife who both went to college with me live on a small lake up there, so we mostly just chilled on the water, did a bit of hiking around, and eating/drinking a lot. It was 5/7 but I found my motivation at work today is zero. I've been really struggling of late with it. I just have zero give-a-shit about this job/company. Hopefully I can pull some motivation out of my ass tomorrow.

What's new with you?
Fly or drive?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish

What's new with you?
Sounds like a nice little trip.

Fun Story re Connecticut. My wife went to a wine tasting at her brothers house in Jersey this weekend.

Her ex boyfriend (lets call him Asswipe) has remained friends with her brother and all the guys that my wife and her brother grew up with.

What they all don't know is that while he was dating her, he cheated on her with my wife's friend (lets call her 2 bit whore).

He did wind up marrying the bitch and they settled in Connecticut.

A few weeks ago while Asswipe was golfing with my brother-in-law and the crew in Upstate New York, 2 bit Whore decided to buy a car on Facebook Marketplace. When she and her 16 year old son (lets call him Innocent Fruit of Ill Begotten Love) got to the "sellers" place, they were held up at gunpoint by 4 dudes in masks who took the $1800 in cash that she brought with her and fled the scene. They are still at large.

Moral: Karma and Comeuppance are mutherfuckers...and so are A.W. and 2.B.W. I do feel bad for I.F.o.I.B.L :doe:
Last edited by Irish on Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Irish wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:02 pm

What's new with you?

Fun Fact re Connecticut. My wife went to a wine tasting at her brothers house in Jersey this weekend.

Her ex boyfriend (lets call him Asswipe) has remained friends with her brother and all the guys that my wife and her brother grew up with.

What they all don't know is that he cheated on her with my wife's coworker (lets call her 2 bit whore) while they were dating.

A few weeks ago while Asswipe was golfing with my brother-in-law and the crew in Upstate New York, 2 bit Whore decided to buy a car on Facebook Marketplace. When she and her 16 year old son (lets call him Innocent Fruit of Ill Begotten Love) got to the "sellers" place, they were held up at gunpoint by 4 dudes in masks who took the $1800 in cash that she brought with her and fled the scene. They are still at large.

Moral: Karma is a mutherfucker.....and so are A.W. and 2.B.W. I do feel bad for I.F.o.I.B.L :doe:
Yikes. I always meet with any Facebook marketplace person in the parking lot of a police station/hospital/etc anywhere that has quick LE presence/response or good camera coverage. I always note vehicle info and leave my car running due to dashcam.

Sucks but shit like that happens more often than it should, even if it hasn’t happened to me
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
troyguitar

Irish wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm :howdy:

What's new with you?

Fun Story re Connecticut. My wife went to a wine tasting at her brothers house in Jersey this weekend.

What they all don't know is that while he was dating her, he cheated on her with my wife's friend (lets call her 2 bit whore).

Moral: Karma and Comeuppance are mutherfuckers...and so are A.W. and 2.B.W. I do feel bad for I.F.o.I.B.L :doe:
:impressive: :popcorn:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:38 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:26 am The hard part is saving the millions needed to buy a place and retire there, because insignificant people like us are never going to get jobs there and we aren't lucky enough to have been born with family connections to the EU.

This, I worked within US hours in Turkey, where work really starts at 5 PM to pretty much midnight. For tech geeks, I use an app called globetempus (I have an iphone, not sure if it exists with android), say if I have a meeting at a certain time, I can swipe the said time in which standard time so I can easily see what time do I have to join based on where I'm located.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.