Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Tar wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:40 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:22 pm I’ll stay in my lane with corvettes and BRZs.
I enjoyed my 240sx more than the C5.5. It wasn't fast, but we know what speed offers on public roads! :yikes:

5/7 would BRZ/GR86
I need to get mine out more, and it needs an exhaust. But it's a good time, would recommend.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:40 am

I enjoyed my 240sx more than the C5.5. It wasn't fast, but we know what speed offers on public roads! :yikes:

5/7 would BRZ/GR86
I need to get mine out more, and it needs an exhaust. But it's a good time, would recommend.
mIaTaS ArE tOo SlOw yet erreyone creamin themsleves over a 230hp toyoda.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:50 am

Strawman much? Who said Miatas are too slow? The '86 is slow too.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:05 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:53 pm

I have been thinking for a while that particularly the four cylinder versions will depreciate in a more traditional way, hopefully you're right on that. I'd happily buy a poverty Boxster/Cayman four cylinder car for a lower price, :aintcare: if it's not the best engine ever made in the thing. That would be nice but I doubt I'll ever be able to have one at the rate things are going.

:iono: diamonds have shit resale. Y'all may remember I got engaged years ago in the :mk6: .com days... I bought a ring and literally six months later it was worth one fourth what I paid. I tried to sell it in several avenues and it was worthless. Fortunately Blue Nile bought it back for like 75%... so I used them again when I came around to the real round. I guess they do maintain that 25% value for eternity after the initial dump though.
I think the Porsche thing will all fall apart soon enough. The whole point of a sports car is to have a fun, great sounding and unique motor… nothing can be said in that regard for the p cars unless you’re N/A and rev to the moon. Imo they are some of the most overpriced vehicles currently for sale next to Teslas and Rav4CRIME editions.

For ex you can get a great looking and sounding C8 for 1/2 of what a 911 will run … and I frankly think it’ll be a better “investment” long term.
This is where you are wrong. Porsche has acquired a client base with the same loyalty as Ferrari. Add in special editions and exclusive manufacture customization… this isn’t a house of cards anymore.

Ask Fled. Most of the people buying the 911’s especially toward the top of the price range are fiercely brand loyal and will hold onto their cars until they upgrade and when they do they sell it to the dealer who keeps the price inflated for resale.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:01 am

Strawman much? Who said Miatas are too slow? The '86 is slow too.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:27 am

I think the Porsche thing will all fall apart soon enough. The whole point of a sports car is to have a fun, great sounding and unique motor… nothing can be said in that regard for the p cars unless you’re N/A and rev to the moon. Imo they are some of the most overpriced vehicles currently for sale next to Teslas and Rav4CRIME editions.

For ex you can get a great looking and sounding C8 for 1/2 of what a 911 will run … and I frankly think it’ll be a better “investment” long term.
This is where you are wrong. Porsche has acquired a client base with the same loyalty as Ferrari. Add in special editions and exclusive manufacture customization… this isn’t a house of cards anymore.

Ask Fled. Most of the people buying the 911’s especially toward the top of the price range are fiercely brand loyal and will hold onto their cars until they upgrade and when they do they sell it to the dealer who keeps the price inflated for resale.
They have to be brand loyal. Otherwise they won’t get an invitation to buy a rare model like a GT3RS or whatever.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:20 am

They have to be brand loyal. Otherwise they won’t get an invitation to buy a rare model like a GT3RS or whatever.
Exactly. That plus the sales model that Porsche has established means they’re going to be loyal. This ain’t no house of cards.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Time will tell… paying over msrp on a used base 911 is lunacy and it won’t last. I specifically mentioned N/A vehicles in my post as I do consider them to be investment grade future classics.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:22 pm I’ll stay in my lane with corvettes and BRZs.
Brz is what ? 3 months away now ? Seems close
Yep, Still slated for December delivery at the moment. :excited:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol:

I just said that Miatas (NAs) are old and old cars involve a certain level of pain in the ass. You just spent six weekends installing a Kia engine after all. I also am too tall really, which is sad.

They are slow AF though, a BRZ/86 has 1.3X the powah and does 0-60 in four seconds or so less, that is a big difference.
Desertbreh

5/7 would BRZ/GR86
A Corvette makes plenty of sense in CA, USA. Not so much in Polar Bear CA.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:27 pm

:nice:

#BRZBOIZ
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:53 pm

5/7 would BRZ/GR86
Are there no speed traps in CA, USA? I'd love a C7, but there's a 20k upcharge for an extra 200HP that doesn't get utilized without the threat of losing your license and committing a CRIME!

I'm most intrigued by small displacement mid-engined things lately, hoping a newer version of the classic MR2 comes back. C8 is cool as shit too, but I feel like they are missing the mark with an auto only transmission.... And the price is obviously the main sticking point.
Desertbreh

Tar wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:46 pm

Are there no speed traps in CA, USA? I'd love a C7, but there's a 20k upcharge for an extra 200HP that doesn't get utilized without the threat of losing your license and committing a CRIME!

I'm most intrigued by small displacement mid-engined things lately, hoping a newer version of the classic MR2 comes back. C8 is cool as shit too, but I feel like they are missing the mark with an auto only transmission.... And the price is obviously the main sticking point.
Not in my area and interstate travel is a 90mph thing with a RD.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

They are kind of coming back as of late. But In general left lane is 85-100 on the regular. I am consistently tailgated when going 85… so I move over. Yes 85 is considered slow. The weird and annoying part is you have people going 50 in the middle and left lanes on the regular also… so you have this giant divergence of speed in a small space
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:15 pm

They are kind of coming back as of late. But In general left lane is 85-100 on the regular. I am consistently tailgated when going 85… so I move over. Yes 85 is considered slow. The weird and annoying part is you have people going 50 in the middle and left lanes on the regular also… so you have this giant divergence of speed in a small space
I wish people in this country got how lanes work…
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:35 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:15 pm

I wish people in this country got how lanes work…
I wish people knew how to drive and adhered to speed limits … it’s over or under by 30 with no inbetween
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:40 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:14 am Is it the place in VA that imports a bunch of JDM stuff? I've heard they're sketchy but they have epic inventory.
It is in Richmond. The fuel pump went out of his way home, but they came and got the car, paid for his flight, and and delivering the car to his house repaired for the trouble.

I think it's a '93/94

I hate cellphone wide angle lenses. The proportions of this car in person are not as goofy

My friend has this thing on the Dyno for :science: over the weekend. It put down 208hp to the wheels. For reference my friend's Magnum SRT8 put down 330hp on the same Dyno same day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:20 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:40 am

It is in Richmond. The fuel pump went out of his way home, but they came and got the car, paid for his flight, and and delivering the car to his house repaired for the trouble.

I think it's a '93/94

I hate cellphone wide angle lenses. The proportions of this car in person are not as goofy

My friend has this thing on the Dyno for :science: over the weekend. It put down 208hp to the wheels. For reference my friend's Magnum SRT8 put down 330hp on the same Dyno same day.
:notbad: at all at 100 whp/1k pounds of car or so, pretty similar to a C5 :lolol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:23 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:20 pm

:notbad: at all at 100 whp/1k pounds of car or so, pretty similar to a C5 :lolol:
Yeah I'd peg it right around 10lbs/HP since I think that weight might be slightly optimistic, but that thing must cover ground quick AF on a back road.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:27 pm

:fuckyeah: and f30 is bye bye?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

After :tits: and I will move in together the next summer, im strongly considering trading my accord for a :manuel: supra
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:55 pm After :tits: and I will move in together the next summer, im strongly considering trading my accord for a :manuel: supra
What does one have to do with other? Newsflash
Attaturk: Women destroy freedom. I would get the dickmobile PRIOR to shacking
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:18 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:55 pm After :tits: and I will move in together the next summer, im strongly considering trading my accord for a :manuel: supra
What does one have to do with other? Newsflash
Attaturk: Women destroy freedom. I would get the dickmobile PRIOR to shacking
Yep. Ain’t nobody will duck into a Supra and get their head bobbed every stop light.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

GR Rolla reviews out now. Of course it's good. Can't wait to see the markups. :excited:

:eeyore: