Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:40 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am
I think the issue is not $ but production numbers. Toyota decided to cap production at such low levels that it makes it an unattainable proposition.

I frankly blame the Nike “drop” model. That is designed to drive artificial demand by creating artificial scarcity. It’s all the C level conversational rage these days, they fucking love that shit.

Can we talk about how Ford thought they were going to sell 75k mustangs in the first year but once they saw the order volume they ramped up to 600k units ? Yea… “cars were simpler back then” bullshit oems just knew what they were doing and were ready for this type of manufacturing. This latest just in time mess and the above mess is why we are where we are. :wap:
BRO the fucking Nike drop. My friend is talking about selling his :manuel: 992 to help pay for the wedding ring yet buys 2 pairs a week from SNKRS
:disgust: :wtf:

Also what kind of wedding ring is this dudebro buying that he needs to sell a car to do it? Holy fuck man, rich people are wild.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:48 pm Preying on the fomo
I'm praying for it to have a depreciation curve like a fiat 500 abarth.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:08 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:48 pm Preying on the fomo
I'm praying for it to have a depreciation curve like a fiat 500 abarth.
Speaking of, my friend's abarf is going up on C&B Monday.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:44 pm

BRO the fucking Nike drop. My friend is talking about selling his :manuel: 992 to help pay for the wedding ring yet buys 2 pairs a week from SNKRS
That's why I brought it up... there is nothing special about having a sweatshop make 100 pairs of one shoe vs 100 pairs of another other than mArkEtInG. And the :derp: 's are fanning the flames. Same goes for the swatch moon watch.
Even at $260 the price is outrageous for a plastic watch. What scalpers are asking for is :fullretard: but I guess people are paying.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:08 pm

Also what kind of wedding ring is this dudebro buying that he needs to sell a car to do it? Holy fuck man, rich people are wild.
:dat:

Let's get some specs. People typically spending like 20k on rings nowadays which is ridiculously dumb.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Shit, I think I was $4.5k for Michelle’s engagement ring and wedding band combined..
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

If he was rich he wouldn't have to sell a car... :mahman: this is some of the dumbest shit I have heard lately.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:39 pm Shit, I think I was $4.5k for Michelle’s engagement ring and wedding band combined..
Same :sissyfight:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Tar wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:22 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:39 pm Shit, I think I was $4.5k for Michelle’s engagement ring and wedding band combined..
Does that mean we wife swap?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:45 pm

If he was rich he wouldn't have to sell a car... :mahman: this is some of the dumbest shit I have heard lately.
Yeah he's not rich, he just had an opportunity to get the car at just under sticker last year. One of those "I can cross this off my bucket list" things, but at the same time you're spending another car payment on shoes just because it's a lottery. If they were on the shelf in foot locker nobody would care.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The Toyota decision is really odd to me. They claim the GRs (Corolla and Yaris) are built in their own plant. The volume required to justify an entire plant is usually in the 100k range minimum. The Yaris is dead and the Corolla is only 5k...how the hell do you justify a plant for 5k units? They're either producing more than they claim, have other vehicle plans, or are lying (the "plant" could just be a facility next to the main plant where the GR parts are put on)
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Which indicates to your point that this is a halo/margin play. Build none, sell everyone at insane margin and build a "halo" for the brand. Stupid that the halo is a fucking Corolla, but that seems to be the plan for some reason. I don't know why affordable mass-appeal fun isn't that anymore. It's really disappointing.

Where things don't make sense is the dealer model. Anything over MSRP goes to the dealer, not the OEM. So what's the OEM benefit to producing under demand and letting dealers reap the benefits? All it's doing is pissing people off and encouraging to go to different dealers or brands. Dealer and brand loyalty is at all time lows right now (shocking, I know), and decisions like this won't help that at all.

The industry is going to be paying back the stupid decisions made over the last few years for a very long time. People drastically underwater can't easily buy new vehicles. Customers that got price gouged won't be back to a dealer or maybe even an entire brand. I bet industry sales will be horrific in a few year's time. And it was all preventable if the focus remained on the customer rather than short term profits.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Does that mean we wife swap?
I'm easy
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:10 pm Which indicates to your point that this is a halo/margin play. Build none, sell everyone at insane margin and build a "halo" for the brand. Stupid that the halo is a fucking Corolla, but that seems to be the plan for some reason. I don't know why affordable mass-appeal fun isn't that anymore. It's really disappointing.

Where things don't make sense is the dealer model. Anything over MSRP goes to the dealer, not the OEM. So what's the OEM benefit to producing under demand and letting dealers reap the benefits? All it's doing is pissing people off and encouraging to go to different dealers or brands. Dealer and brand loyalty is at all time lows right now (shocking, I know), and decisions like this won't help that at all.

The industry is going to be paying back the stupid decisions made over the last few years for a very long time. People drastically underwater can't easily buy new vehicles. Customers that got price gouged won't be back to a dealer or maybe even an entire brand. I bet industry sales will be horrific in a few year's time. And it was all preventable if the focus remained on the customer rather than short term profits.
It seems like building less cars likely makes better margins for them… I.e they won’t lose more money on every one they make which I’m sure they are at 5k. Also say the real market price is 59,995 it doesn’t make sense in their own lineup … considering a Supra is around the same price.

But clearly it isn’t as demand/supply constrained.

I see the business model for this, but if I ran their planning dep that’s not how I would operate.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I was around that for an engagement ring and then maybe another $1k for the wedding band. That feels like plenty to me, the diamond biz is almost as big a racket as insurance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:10 pm Which indicates to your point that this is a halo/margin play. Build none, sell everyone at insane margin and build a "halo" for the brand. Stupid that the halo is a fucking Corolla, but that seems to be the plan for some reason. I don't know why affordable mass-appeal fun isn't that anymore. It's really disappointing.

It seems like building less cars likely makes better margins for them… I.e they won’t lose more money on every one they make which I’m sure they are at 5k. Also say the real market price is 59,995 it doesn’t make sense in their own lineup … considering a Supra is around the same price.

I see the business model for this, but if I ran their planning dep that’s not how I would operate.
It seems like they could make 3-4X the number of units and still fetch MSRP for every one so their margin would be the same? I guess if they lose money on everyone and it really has a halo car then the 5K thing makes sense, I can’t see it outside of that.

How many STIs were sold each year? That could easily meet that number…
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:26 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:22 pm

It seems like they could make 3-4X the number of units and still fetch MSRP for every one so their margin would be the same? I guess if they lose money on everyone and it really has a halo car then the 5K thing makes sense, I can’t see it outside of that.

How many STIs were sold each year? That could easily meet that number…
I think sti number is around 5k so is golf r … this can easily sell 15k imo. But at a good price it can steal share from the wrx/gti crowd too so hence the 30k units.

Gti sells about 30k units annually
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

#metoo - 27 years ago :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

:bravo:
Preach
max225

wap wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:31 pm

That’s like 30k in todays dollars :waxer:
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:36 pm

:lolgasm:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:wap: is :waxer: AF
wap

Tar wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:45 pm

:wap: is :waxer: AF
:lolwut:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well to be fair my $4500 in 2018 is like $10K in todays dollars.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:03 pm

Well to be fair my $4500 in 2018 is like $10K in todays dollars.
:dat: and the inflation calc claims $4500 in 1997= $9600 in 2022 :yeahok: