OT 14: No Luck for Old Men

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I don't have a work phone, but my boss just calls my personal phone as late as 9:00PM to ask questions :rage: I've started ignoring anything that comes in after 7ish.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 am
It should be a :nope:

If someone wants to work 24/7, that's on them. It shouldn't be the expectation for others.

My argument has always been that if you have to work that much, you're doing it wrong. Nobody has THAT much work to do. Some weeks I'll put in 60 hours, others 40. I keep my work phone handy through the evening until about 9pm to answer after hours e-mails, but if it's more work than a 2 minute response, I'll usually respond with "I'll get this done first thing in the AM". Boss is just happy that I'm reachable should things go :nuke: Sometimes quick acknowledgement is all people want. :bs: but it's the game.
The thing with my sitch is that this group wants things done after hours; that can't actually be done after hours. The Fed only processes wires and ACHs until a certain time, after that it's going next day no matter what you do.

Oh, and forgive me if I want to have an actual conversation about something that we have NEVER done before so we get proper approvals and such before implementing. Nah, in their mind it should just be done no questions asked.

:angrypanda:

People that could NEED to get in touch with me at any time all have my personal number, so I'm not unreachable. And I'm checking my work phone until something like 8 or 9pm to see if any emails require my attention.

Continuing this shit on 3 hours of sleep is going to be fun. Let's see if I get fired today or not...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 am

The thing with my sitch is that this group wants things done after hours; that can't actually be done after hours. The Fed only processes wires and ACHs until a certain time, after that it's going next day no matter what you do.

Oh, and forgive me if I want to have an actual conversation about something that we have NEVER done before so we get proper approvals and such before implementing. Nah, in their mind it should just be done no questions asked.

People that could NEED to get in touch with me at any time all have my personal number, so I'm not unreachable. And I'm checking my work phone until something like 8 or 9pm to see if any emails require my attention.

Continuing this shit on 3 hours of sleep is going to be fun. Let's see if I get fired today or not...
:triggered:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 am I don't have a work phone, but my boss just calls my personal phone as late as 9:00PM to ask questions :rage: I've started ignoring anything that comes in after 7ish.
:disgust:

Tell him you power it down and put it on the charger in another room after 7:00.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:37 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:20 am I don't have a work phone, but my boss just calls my personal phone as late as 9:00PM to ask questions :rage: I've started ignoring anything that comes in after 7ish.

Tell him you power it down and put it on the charger in another room after 7:00.
Or get back to his voicemails 3 weeks later, 1 day before they’re due.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 am
It should be a :nope:

If someone wants to work 24/7, that's on them. It shouldn't be the expectation for others.

My argument has always been that if you have to work that much, you're doing it wrong. Nobody has THAT much work to do. Some weeks I'll put in 60 hours, others 40. I keep my work phone handy through the evening until about 9pm to answer after hours e-mails, but if it's more work than a 2 minute response, I'll usually respond with "I'll get this done first thing in the AM". Boss is just happy that I'm reachable should things go :nuke: Sometimes quick acknowledgement is all people want. :bs: but it's the game.

Can't your boss/manager step in and tell them the stuff about establishing processes and approvals?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 am

:dat:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:45 am

Can't your boss/manager step in and tell them the stuff about establishing processes and approvals?
When the COO's son and son's best friend are part of the group causing the issues? :yeahok:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:16 pm

When the COO's son and son's best friend are part of the group causing the issues? :yeahok:
Dat nepotism doe.
wap

Our CFO has his nephew, son, and daughter all working here. :rolleyes: :fshitup:
Apex

wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Our CFO has his nephew, son, and daughter all working here. :rolleyes: :fshitup:
I'm fine with the kids working here... If they were legitimately hired and were the best candidates. That does not appear to be the case and they walk around like they own the place and have been here for a couple of weeks at most. :disgust:
SAWCE

If anyone needs me, I'll be at 'Pecs' worksite the rest of the day breaking kneecaps.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm If anyone needs me, I'll be at 'Pecs' worksite the rest of the day breaking kneecaps.
:like:
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm fine with the kids working here... If they were legitimately hired and were the best candidates. That does not appear to be the case and they walk around like they own the place and have been here for a couple of weeks at most. :disgust:
Fuuuuuck that :nope:
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm If anyone needs me, I'll be at 'Pecs' worksite the rest of the day breaking kneecaps.
:fuckyeah:

Then you can have a pecs-off competition afterward. :hubba:
SAWCE

wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 pm

:tits: dance.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:megusta:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:04 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 pm

:tits: dance.
:jimp:
Desertbreh

wap wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:58 pm

IMO, if you aren't getting a bigger TV it's not really an upgrade that's worth it. I would guess if you only have a 43 inch TV you gotta sit pretty close to tell the difference in resolution.
If you're replacing anyway, go bigger, as big as you can comfortably fit and afford. You'll be glad you did.
LOL. Ron's TV Warehouse has a deal for you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:22 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:06 pm

If you're replacing anyway, go bigger, as big as you can comfortably fit and afford. You'll be glad you did.
LOL. Ron's TV Warehouse has a deal for you.
:lolol:
SAWCE

Just got pulled into my boss' office so he could tell me that we're going to be having a meeting, then he basically gave me an overview of what is going to be discussed in the meeting... Bro, just have the meeting.. why do I have to sit through it twice?
SAWCE

Oh wow.. he's now pulled all three of the four people on my team in to his office.. this is going to be an epic time suck if he actually has a meeting with the four of us together after telling us all individually about the meeting :popcorn:
SAWCE

:fuckyeah: got the job from yesterday. Verbal offer just now, I had to accept that, and now they're going to work up a formal written offer for me to sign with a firm start date. Fucking pumped. 23% increase from where I'm currently at, and exponentially better benefits. Targeting to start 8/20. :fuckyeah:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:17 pm :fuckyeah: got the job from yesterday. Verbal offer just now, I had to accept that, and now they're going to work up a formal written offer for me to sign with a firm start date. Fucking pumped. 23% increase from where I'm currently at, and exponentially better benefits. Targeting to start 8/20. :fuckyeah:
Very good news!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:17 pm :fuckyeah: got the job from yesterday. Verbal offer just now, I had to accept that, and now they're going to work up a formal written offer for me to sign with a firm start date. Fucking pumped. 23% increase from where I'm currently at, and exponentially better benefits. Targeting to start 8/20. :fuckyeah:
nice, and hopefully no more meetings about meetings
brain go brrrrrr