DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

adoob wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 pm I need to figure out a solid routine for working out. Currently at 194lbs or so and trying to lose weight and replace fat with some muscle. Started at 205lbs about a year and a half ago, worked down to 174 with caloric deficit, intermittent fasting, and cardio+lifts 3x a week. Been a bit lazy the past few months between winter break (I used to go to the gym at UCF for free an hour away on class days) and just not being as strict with my calorie regimen and I gained a ton back.

Currently I only have to go in person for one class one day a week, so I need to either get a gym membership elsewhere or figure out something for home. And need to get back to my calorie deficit. My goal weight is ~160, basically to cut down my stomach fat.

I bench only 65lbs for 5 sets of 8 (could probably move up weight?), barbell curl 30lbs 2x10 or 15lb pair of dumbbells. Squat 75lbs 3x10. I am weak lol
I think Brad's suggestion is good. If you want a quick summary, check out this: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I would do that program for a year, add in assistance lifts if you'd like - chin/pull ups, curls, lateral shoulder raises, dips, tri extensions, kind of whatever you want. I would personally also add in cardio of your choice (walking, running, cycling, basketball/soccer/sports, hiking, just whatever you enjoy).

I lifted for years and years with pretty meh results, following a program will really help.

The nice thing about strength builing with a program like 5X5 is that your metabolism will go up significantly. Regardless of if you want to 'get jacked' or not, you'll just get way more fit.

Just be careful with form on dead lifts and squats, take the progress slow and don't fuck up your back.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:47 am
I think Brad's suggestion is good. If you want a quick summary, check out this: https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I would do that program for a year, add in assistance lifts if you'd like - chin/pull ups, curls, lateral shoulder raises, dips, tri extensions, kind of whatever you want. I would personally also add in cardio of your choice (walking, running, cycling, basketball/soccer/sports, hiking, just whatever you enjoy).

I lifted for years and years with pretty meh results, following a program will really help.

The nice thing about strength builing with a program like 5X5 is that your metabolism will go up significantly. Regardless of if you want to 'get jacked' or not, you'll just get way more fit.

Just be careful with form on dead lifts and squats, take the progress slow and don't fuck up your back.
I think that’s what I’m gonna do. I also do cardio, jog/run a mile before every workout. Takes me about 11-12 minutes, before taking a break I worked down to 9 something but then lost progress. Still way better than the 15 I used to run back when I was 208lbs.

Yeah my metabolism sucks naturally. Got it going good between the caloric deficit and more regular workouts pre-covid but it fell apart after because I got lazy sitting at home.

Mega :jelly: of the people that have great natural metabolism
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am
2 words: Starting Strength. Get the book, read it, do it. You'll be squatting 225 for 3x5 by the summer easy.
Thanks for the rec :mahman:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

adoob wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:57 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 am
2 words: Starting Strength. Get the book, read it, do it. You'll be squatting 225 for 3x5 by the summer easy.
Thanks for the rec :mahman:
No prob, enjoy getting strong as ox. Along the way dont be too scared if the scale starts creepin up as you get jaccckeddddd.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

adoob wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 pm I need to figure out a solid routine for working out. Currently at 194lbs or so and trying to lose weight and replace fat with some muscle. Started at 205lbs about a year and a half ago, worked down to 174 with caloric deficit, intermittent fasting, and cardio+lifts 3x a week. Been a bit lazy the past few months between winter break (I used to go to the gym at UCF for free an hour away on class days) and just not being as strict with my calorie regimen and I gained a ton back.

Currently I only have to go in person for one class one day a week, so I need to either get a gym membership elsewhere or figure out something for home. And need to get back to my calorie deficit. My goal weight is ~160, basically to cut down my stomach fat.

I bench only 65lbs for 5 sets of 8 (could probably move up weight?), barbell curl 30lbs 2x10 or 15lb pair of dumbbells. Squat 75lbs 3x10. I am weak lol
I do some online coaching on the side. I can get you started with a very basic plan for free.99 if you’re interested and then if it’s something you want to pursue more seriously and have me to all the analytical stuff like changes to calories/macros we can work out a forum homey hookup.
Agree with Brad that the starting strength program is a good place for you to start. I wish I’d done that when I started. I’m not as stronk as I could be or should be for my size lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:56 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:47 am

I think that’s what I’m gonna do. I also do cardio, jog/run a mile before every workout. Takes me about 11-12 minutes, before taking a break I worked down to 9 something but then lost progress. Still way better than the 15 I used to run back when I was 208lbs.

Yeah my metabolism sucks naturally. Got it going good between the caloric deficit and more regular workouts pre-covid but it fell apart after because I got lazy sitting at home.

Even if your goal is to lose weight, it's still a solid program, you certainly don't have to 'get huge' (nor will you unless you try really hard). In my experience, strength oriented weight training benefits the metabolism more than any other form of exercise.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

My best depth on unassisted reverse Nordics yet. :fuckyeah:

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

me to brah. But I figured if I'm always going to be a bit of a fatty, might as well be stronger than 90-95% of the people walking around too.
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:48 am

me to brah. But I figured if I'm always going to be a bit of a fatty, might as well be stronger than 90-95% of the people walking around too.
:notbad:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:48 am

As a scrawny bitch I always wanted that for myself, but it's clearly a lost cause. Fucking bird bones and tiny genetics in my family history. My last resort is to try to maintain some semblance of athleticism. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:01 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 am

As a scrawny bitch I always wanted that for myself, but it's clearly a lost cause. Fucking bird bones and tiny genetics in my family history. My last resort is to try to maintain some semblance of athleticism. :ohwell:
:iono: I would rather be a scrawny bitch than the opposite. I have had to work pretty hard to be a scrawny bitch :lolol:
SAWCE

Naturally scrawny here. Part of why I hopped on the sauce. Fuck genetic limitations.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:04 am
coogles wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:01 am

:iono: I would rather be a scrawny bitch than the opposite. I have had to work pretty hard to be a scrawny bitch :lolol:
Grass is always greener, I guess. Being so scrawny wasn't much fun at 14, 15 years old and is the whole reason I started lifting in the first place. At that time I was this same height, 5'10", and 120lbs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:04 am

Grass is always greener, I guess. Being so scrawny wasn't much fun at 14, 15 years old and is the whole reason I started lifting in the first place. At that time I was this same height, 5'10", and 120lbs.
Neither is being :fatty: :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am
coogles wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am

Neither is being :fatty: :doe:
:notwrong:
SAWCE

Not sure if IG links work for people who don’t have an IG, but here’s a video of me pulling 455 for 9 reps on rack deadlifts last week. Need to hit 10-11 reps this week.

adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 pm
I do some online coaching on the side. I can get you started with a very basic plan for free.99 if you’re interested and then if it’s something you want to pursue more seriously and have me to all the analytical stuff like changes to calories/macros we can work out a forum homey hookup.
Agree with Brad that the starting strength program is a good place for you to start. I wish I’d done that when I started. I’m not as stronk as I could be or should be for my size lol.
I think I'm gonna try the Starting Strength or that 5x5 program first, but I may take you up on that offer in future. Thanks.
SAWCE

adoob wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 pm
I think I'm gonna try the Starting Strength or that 5x5 program first, but I may take you up on that offer in future. Thanks.
For sure dude! Hit me up any time. 5x5/SS will be great for you. I was more offering just the nutrition services since I think just a basic strength program is the way to go for these first few years, but happy to help with lifting programming as well if you decide that is something you want.
SAWCE

Training is going well.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:22 am Training is going well.

dang dude you gettin yuge
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:05 pm

:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:impressive: :massles:

Did you poop your pants :doe: ?
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:05 pm

Thanks dude! Finally to a point where I’m starting to actually feel like a bigger guy. Mama we made it!
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:43 pm

Haha not on this day.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:43 pm

I definitely shit my pants a little bit pulling 475 for a double this week. :aintcare: #homegym
brain go brrrrrr