Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:44 pm

You have the Rabbit edition mk7.5? :jelly: love the cornflower blue. The mk7.5 SE you can now get cloth too, which what :narc: has, my 2015 SE got the leaky sunroof that (surprisingly) never leaked after 91k miles nor broken dat :alpo:
Indeed, but mine is white.

Of course, now it is day 3 of being in the shop because the heater decided to start under-performing. The dealership has been scratching their heads on this one and has been consulting VW about it. I have a loaner Jetta, so right now it is a big ol' bowl of :aintcare:.
To be fair I miss the jetta loaners :gay: my last loaner was a previous gen Tiguan with a huge sunroof that I had around May and miss driving that around with it open on spring nights. No slowing down for bumps, just :aintcare: driving
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:56 am

:notbad: racking up 20K miles per year. It seems like it's been a pretty epic car for you overall, I can see why you're struggling to walk away from :egg: lyfe, but you can :doit: !
17k a year + roadtrips. That said, im kinda in a dilemma find ways to shorten the commute. That includes switching a job that I practically want. If it's still in DC/arlington, then im looking to move closer to dc that is arlington, alexandria. City of Falls church is :ludacris: :waxer: to the point where it makes no sense, other than children's education which is the prime reason why but :whocares: one of my meet buddies lives in an $800k shack that looks like it's built in 1950's over there. Dc is :waxer: and :nope: plus $100-150 parking per month for one car? :hellno:
It is definitely a game changer to not spend two hours a day in the car or whatever. I now spend next to no time commuting via car between being on the road a week or two a month, biking to work a couple days a week and working from home, I am now averaging driving to work maybe 6 times a month. You may be able to get creative in some different ways like that and/or find a new job if that's your thing.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 am
Indeed, but mine is white.

Of course, now it is day 3 of being in the shop because the heater decided to start under-performing. The dealership has been scratching their heads on this one and has been consulting VW about it. I have a loaner Jetta, so right now it is a big ol' bowl of :aintcare:.
To be fair I miss the jetta loaners :gay: my last loaner was a previous gen Tiguan with a huge sunroof that I had around May and miss driving that around with it open on spring nights. No slowing down for bumps, just :aintcare: driving
The Jetta is nice, but I can definitely tell the GTI is built to a higher standard in terms of finishes. I have no complaints, though. This level of service is worlds better than the shit service I received from the other VW dealership.

They called and said they are going to replace the auxiliary water pump. We'll see if that does the trick.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:50 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 pm

The Jetta is nice, but I can definitely tell the GTI is built to a higher standard in terms of finishes. I have no complaints, though. This level of service is worlds better than the shit service I received from the other VW dealership.

They called and said they are going to replace the auxiliary water pump. We'll see if that does the trick.
That I absolutely agree for sure. I've also been in Eurospec jetta's, mk5 and mk6, and they are :mindblown: ly different, really puts the US jetta's to shame. Europe also stopped selling the current jetta for good, partly it doesn't sell that well in some Euro countries, like England
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My plugs are do but I'm not sure that I want to swap them yet. My car runs great and it is way under utilized, plus it gets ethanol free 91. Dealer wants to fit me in for a 90k service but it adds plugs and air/pollen filters but triples the oil change price.

SA gotta all-inclusive in Mehico but I think I'll just buy the parts at the service desk and pop them in myself. I have an extended warranty so I've been bringing the aar in for changes but I'm thinking of grabbing parts from the dealer and doing my own servicing. I don't mind paying to do the haldex and DSGay service but plugs/filters is a whole new level of laziness. I have a torque wrench that does 25 N-m and some variation of the fancy :bs: VW plug removal socket. I'm curious to see what the plugs look like anyways.

I think I should start doing my own oil changes too. Just gotta find a good oil extractor.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:03 am

Here I fixed it

Great work here.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 pm My plugs are do but I'm not sure that I want to swap them yet. My car runs great and it is way under utilized, plus it gets ethanol free 91. Dealer wants to fit me in for a 90k service but it adds plugs and air/pollen filters but triples the oil change price.

SA gotta all-inclusive in Mehico but I think I'll just buy the parts at the service desk and pop them in myself. I have an extended warranty so I've been bringing the aar in for changes but I'm thinking of grabbing parts from the dealer and doing my own servicing. I don't mind paying to do the haldex and DSGay service but plugs/filters is a whole new level of laziness. I have a torque wrench that does 25 N-m and some variation of the fancy :bs: VW plug removal socket. I'm curious to see what the plugs look like anyways.

I think I should start doing my own oil changes too. Just gotta find a good oil extractor.
Quickjack at Costco brah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 pm My plugs are do but I'm not sure that I want to swap them yet. My car runs great and it is way under utilized, plus it gets ethanol free 91. Dealer wants to fit me in for a 90k service but it adds plugs and air/pollen filters but triples the oil change price.

Dang, :impressive: mileage rack up.

:nice: on the self maintenance, get one with ze car.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 am

Dang, :impressive: mileage rack up.

:nice: on the self maintenance, get one with ze car.
I quoted kms so that's less impressive. It is about 60k miles. I have the extended warranty package but I guess that doesn't matter if I buy the fluids from the dealership, they will have records and I'll keep receipts.

I'm think about ordering this next but may done last oil change before I get it. Will hinge on whether or not they have room for me this morning.

Fluid Extractor:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00LCEWR4A?psc ... droll05-20

It should break even with labor on one oil change.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I am due for a new extractor...had a hell of a time with that last change...took forever to get the earl out..... let us know what unit you decide on....
Irish

I was going to post the one that I have ..... but it seems Amazon has sent most of my order history to data heaven..... :wtf:
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

I got my car back last night. It spent four days in the shop over the heater issue. The dealer wound up replacing the auxiliary water pump and then found that a gear under the dash wasn't fully engaging the blend door. The service advisor thanked me for my patience and commented how some other people would have lost their shit well before day number 4. In the back of my head, I was thinking, "You didn't default to 'could not replicate,' but rather dug deeper and actually verified the issue, and set me up with a loaner while the car was being worked on. What reason would I have to get mad?"
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Grrr.... dealerships can pound sand.

I went in for the oil change on my :gorf: today and the SA didn't give me the usual 10% discount this time since I declined the spark plugs and filters for an additional $300.

Went to parts and played $20/plug and an air filter for $30. Fine, that was my plan going into in but when I got home and went to swap parts my new filter was too small for the filter box, see pic.

I'm now hellbent on doing all of my service minus the Haldex and DSG for life. Fuck them. Also the filter and plugs are going back, I'll order the stuff aftermarket or from third party suppliers for 1/2 the price and it will have a better chance of being the right thing.

My 16mm socket doesn't fit into the block so I'm going to order the right tool or compare what they have at my local hardware store next week. It's worth the hassle nonetheless.

The fuckery portrayed in a single picture:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:25 am

I am due for a new extractor...had a hell of a time with that last change...took forever to get the earl out..... let us know what unit you decide on....
Hey broseph...The one posted above looks interesting, it was on some reviewers top five list and is fairly cheap. I'll let you know if I order it.
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:08 pm
Irish wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:25 am

Hey broseph...The one posted above looks interesting, it was on some reviewers top five list and is fairly cheap. I'll let you know if I order it.
What up cochese........My concern for you with that one is whether the tubes are long enough to get to the bottom of the oil pan from the top...... and as you probably know the tubes need to be fairly stiff in order to get through (what I can only guess are) baffles of some sort between the dipstick tube and the pan.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:14 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:08 pm

What up cochese........My concern for you with that one is whether the tubes are long enough to get to the bottom of the oil pan from the top...... and as you probably know the tubes need to be fairly stiff in order to get through (what I can only guess are) baffles of some sort between the dipstick tube and the pan.
This one looks the part...

https://youtu.be/QfOUOGlY5YA

I need to see if they will ship to me and how much. Might grab this while I'm at it.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:25 pm

I need to see if they will ship to me and how much. Might grab this while I'm at it.

Im also contemplating on getting the first thing. No more :dillerman: oil changes for me. Only take it when the real maintenance is required
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Im also contemplating on getting the first thing. No more :dillerman: oil changes for me. Only take it when the real maintenance is required
Look at the youtube videos, things like oil changes are silly simple. I found a fluid extractor that people are using on their MK7s locally and as long as they have multiple tubes then one will work for sure. About $100, I'm officially done with the dealer for oil changes, not even buying consumable parts there anymore.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

My dad has this and uses it on his S5. :like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:30 pm

Look at the youtube videos, things like oil changes are silly simple. I found a fluid extractor that people are using on their MK7s locally and as long as they have multiple tubes then one will work for sure. About $100, I'm officially done with the dealer for oil changes, not even buying consumable parts there anymore.
one of my vw buddies got one of those and that's how I found out, sounds like a good investment.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

In4 extractor reviews... I still do this the poverty spec way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I heard some good things about this juan. Shop guy I know uses it, apparently works really well.

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I have it ... it’s ok... it’s sorta slow with oil... and I frankly rather drain and refill:..
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

speaking of oil changes, I need to rotate my tires, 11k miles on the new :ramz: and :225: already
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:01 pm I have it ... it’s ok... it’s sorta slow with oil... and I frankly rather drain and refill:..
Do you pull the oil while it's still hot? How slow, 10 min?