Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

rockchops wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm i always liked that gen colorado, we had them as delivery vehicles when i was at napa. Early atlas engines sucked doe
This has a v8 and is super rare I think....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I surprisingly don't hate that. Probably a reliable vehicle with some power and a cool color. I'm sure the 5.3 can go 300k no problem.
:ellis:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:06 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 46458.html

Holy shit....
:ohdang: that would be interesting to check out.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 am
rockchops wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 pm i always liked that gen colorado, we had them as delivery vehicles when i was at napa. Early atlas engines sucked doe
SUPER rare.

I wonder what's wrong with it? With those miles, that's a $20k truck here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 am

SUPER rare.

Doesn’t look like anything.... I have done a few nationwide searches and while it’s slightly under market it’s not by much
ChrisoftheNorth

H3's (as with all Hummers) were super legit off roaders. They'll go anywhere with super reliability. I want this Whorange Alpha.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am
SUPER rare.

Doesn’t look like anything.... I have done a few nationwide searches and while it’s slightly under market it’s not by much
Must be regional. H3 Alphas in the Detroit area are super sought after.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:19 am
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

Must be regional. H3 Alphas in the Detroit area are super sought after.
The h3 Ts are in fact around 20-25k. The more usable for me suv seems to hover at 11-17k
ChrisoftheNorth

There's a few V8's on the local facebook marketplace, none on CL. A white 08 with 130k miles for $10k, a Black 09 with 150k miles for $11k, and a Black '10 with 136k miles for $15k. All Michigan trucks with what looks like some underbody surface rust.

I think values will be all over the place because they're rare and the mass public doesn't know they exist. This thing has a rare color and engine, reasonable miles, and looks rather clean. Probably a safe bet.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:41 am There's a few V8's on the local facebook marketplace, none on CL. A white 08 with 130k miles for $10k, a Black 09 with 150k miles for $11k, and a Black '10 with 136k miles for $15k. All Michigan trucks with what looks like some underbody surface rust.

I think values will be all over the place because they're rare and the mass public doesn't know they exist. This thing has a rare color and engine, reasonable miles, and looks rather clean. Probably a safe bet.
:doit: Max. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:41 am There's a few V8's on the local facebook marketplace, none on CL. A white 08 with 130k miles for $10k, a Black 09 with 150k miles for $11k, and a Black '10 with 136k miles for $15k. All Michigan trucks with what looks like some underbody surface rust.

You can't find a more capable off roader in that age/condition for the price.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:06 pm

:dat: is true for sure... hence the :plac: temptation.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:09 pm
:dat: is true for sure... hence the :plac: temptation.
I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat if I was missing a 4X4. Go look at it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Whorange + :ellis: is a good combo :iono:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm Whorange + :ellis: is a good combo :iono:
Its a rare color + a rare vehicle with the V8, while most had the "slow" I5. It is actually a really nice size too, at 188" it isn't yuge at all and has ample seating for 4.

The only "issues" I can see are
1. The 4 speed auto
2. 4800lbs
3. MPG at 13/16 which is terribad gas is $3 or so for regular in cali so that's not overly bad ~$200 a month... but a commuter would cost about 1/2 for me with that regard.
4. Image, honestly this is kind of a big deal... telling someone you drive a hummer is a full on :disgust: type of proposition here. And I am legit somewhat worried that someone may vandalize the vehicle because of the stigma... :(

On the flipside...
It is likely not going to depreciate as many have pointed out that they are "looking" for something as such.
It is MORE capable than a stock :jeep: in sahara/sport trim but not quite JLUR level which is truly ok
Parts are dirt cheap as this is a small block chevy and a tranny in every truck ever made for 20 years.
It can tow 6000lbs... not that it really needs to...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:41 pm Whorange + :ellis: is a good combo :iono:
Its a rare color + a rare vehicle with the V8, while most had the "slow" I5. It is actually a really nice size too, at 188" it isn't yuge at all and has ample seating for 4.

1. The 4 speed auto
2. 4800lbs
3. MPG at 13/16 which is terribad gas is $3 or so for regular in cali so that's not overly bad ~$200 a month... but a commuter would cost about 1/2 for me with that regard.
4. Image, honestly this is kind of a big deal... telling someone you drive a hummer is a full on :disgust: type of proposition here. And I am legit somewhat worried that someone may vandalize the vehicle because of the stigma... :(

On the flipside...
It is likely not going to depreciate as many have pointed out that they are "looking" for something as such.
It is MORE capable than a stock :jeep: in sahara/sport trim but not quite JLUR level which is truly ok
Parts are dirt cheap as this is a small block chevy and a tranny in every truck ever made for 20 years.
I mean... I'll be honest. I try to not be someone who is image conscious. But I would be a tad apprehensive to roll into work in a Hummer H3 as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I do think that it's a decent vehicle though, way better than an H2 from a size/usability perspective, and even a bit less embarrassing, IMO. The only thing that was meh with those is the I5, 5.3 is a good motor.
ChrisoftheNorth

1. The 4 speed auto
2. 4800lbs

On the flipside...
Vandalism could be a real issue where you live. But at least it's not an H2. H3's are super modest looking IRL. Nowhere near as gargantuan. Too bad the stigma is there, can't deny it.

Just depends what you want. This is the most epic adventuremobile you can buy in this price range. Comfy on the highway (though not great gas mileage), ridiculously capable offroad. Durable AF. It's rare, but 100% parts bin...and the 5.3/4L60e was in way more stuff overall than the I5 was. Should be easier to find parts for, really.

I've been looking on and off for a Whorange H3 Alpha for a while. They never come up for a reasonable price. If I were closer, I'd buy it myself.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm

1. The 4 speed auto
2. 4800lbs

On the flipside...
Vandalism could be a real issue where you live. But at least it's not an H2. H3's are super modest looking IRL. Nowhere near as gargantuan. Too bad the stigma is there, can't deny it.

Just depends what you want. This is the most epic adventuremobile you can buy in this price range. Comfy on the highway (though not great gas mileage), ridiculously capable offroad. Durable AF. It's rare, but 100% parts bin...and the 5.3/4L60e was in way more stuff overall than the I5 was. Should be easier to find parts for, really.

I've been looking on and off for a Whorange H3 Alpha for a while. They never come up for a reasonable price. If I were closer, I'd buy it myself.
Once again we see eye to eye. :thankstrump: and 2019.... If I worked for the big G i would do it in a heartbeat... it is a super unique and under-rated vehicle with a lot of carguy cred. The :rage: 'ing :derp: 's make it a difficult situation.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Once again we see eye to eye. :thankstrump: and 2019.... If I worked for the big G i would do it in a heartbeat... it is a super unique and under-rated vehicle with a lot of carguy cred. The :rage: 'ing :derp: 's make it a difficult situation.
And you have epic :derp: s in your area. Can totally see the reservation. Coming out to your truck spray painted with dicks, windows broken, tires slashed, etc...that's a shitty experience.

Which is stupid because that H3 is probably no worse for the environment than a V8 4Runner or whatever.

Might be worth you at least checking it out?
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:37 pm
And you have epic :derp: s in your area. Can totally see the reservation. Coming out to your truck spray painted with dicks, windows broken, tires slashed, etc...that's a shitty experience.

Which is stupid because that H3 is probably no worse for the environment than a V8 4Runner or whatever.

I want it... but given my uncertain work/living arrangement. I am not sure it is the right move... i am pretty conservative about this.... the vehicle is epic, at least on paper. I haven't driven one yet so I don't know. But it can't possibly be bad for what it is.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm

I want it... but given my uncertain work/living arrangement. I am not sure it is the right move... i am pretty conservative about this.... the vehicle is epic, at least on paper. I haven't driven one yet so I don't know. But it can't possibly be bad for what it is.
I'm in the same boat. I'd probably be on a plane to CA as we speak if my situation were more stable.
max225

So the size difference between an H2 and H3 is staggering, and it is also interesting... to know that most people think of H2 when you mention h3... 4/4 people did this. Most know the brand... but think it is obnoxious due to "size and gas mileage".

Same stigma as "corvette is expensive" even though its cheaper than an accord (in C5/C6 trim used).

It is hard to escape that... really a huge shame. They seem to be great vehicles for what I want to do, for a short amount of time.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:31 pm Image

So the size difference between an H2 and H3 is staggering, and it is also interesting... to know that most people think of H2 when you mention h3... 4/4 people did this. Most know the brand... but think it is obnoxious due to "size and gas mileage".

Same stigma as "corvette is expensive" even though its cheaper than an accord (in C5/C6 trim used).

It is hard to escape that... really a huge shame. They seem to be great vehicles for what I want to do, for a short amount of time.
IRL, the H3 doesn't look much larger than a JK really. It's a solid vehicle, I love them.

:doit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That picture comparison is crazy. It really looks like a decent size (didn't remember, never see them really). When do you return the XSE?