Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 pm There's also the Giant XTC Advanced Plus: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/xtc-advanced-plus - I know Dplac enjoys Giant stuff.
I do. I beat the hell out of my 2010 Trance for years...it exists somewhere still, just not in my possession (long story). It's on 26 wheels, and after riding a 27.5, I don't have much interest in small tires.

My dad has a newer Trance (27.5) I've ridden quite a bit and love the do anything nature of it.

I'm by no means a brand whore :doe: I'll consider anything that's proven.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:18 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm

You need a dropper on the Orbea. I guarantee you’ll love it.
Eventually.

That's a 'later in 2021' thing for now.
Me too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Those “fat-ish” bikes look like a blast. You should :doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm Those “fat-ish” bikes look like a blast. You should :doit:
I need to learn more about them. I really wish I could ride some things, but I think that's going to be a challenge like it always is.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:11 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 pm Those “fat-ish” bikes look like a blast. You should :doit:
I need to learn more about them. I really wish I could ride some things, but I think that's going to be a challenge like it always is.
Yeah... I would recommend just finding anything in stock locally to see how it feels, you can compare geometries to see what works for you even if it's not around... probably tough as a giant though. Fortunately for me with my short legs, I am just a regular L.

That said, anything nice/new, you will like. You may just have to order and roll the dice.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 pm Dplac will likely be on an XL frame no matter what - I ride a large at 5'11"-6'.

I know the bike shop in Maine where I got the Sacklist repaired had stock - fatbikes even.

I did a quick googlemap search of TC, and it looks like there are several shops downtown. Get to callin', lad.
Yea, cycling is HUGE here, so there's a number of shops to chose from. I despise talking on the phone, so I may just throw my mask on and go into a few of the shops to talk to the guys a bit. They're all ~10 min from my house.
ChrisoftheNorth

And yes, I'm always an XL frame, which is difficult.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
Yea, cycling is HUGE here, so there's a number of shops to chose from. I despise talking on the phone, so I may just throw my mask on and go into a few of the shops to talk to the guys a bit. They're all ~10 min from my house.
Good excuse to get out of the house. :doit:
Kind of, wife is going to go full :triggered:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 pm
:dat: There is very little inventory around here, but most of the shops are still pretty cool and often have something used in stock or maybe a handful of demo units, so they may be able to at least help you get a feel for different styles/geometries. From there, you can at least get a sense of what to order.

I don't think I would've been able to pull the trigger on the Ribble if I hadn't test road a Domane with almost identical geometry. It was a $4K bike with high end components and a color scheme I didn't like, I told them it wasn't for me but they were cool about me riding it anyway.

I didn't end up buying a bike through them, but have bought lots of little things there and gotten repairs done, so it's a win-win.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:00 pm
Kind of, wife is going to go full :triggered:
:butwhy:

Get her one too.

Also, get a bike, and I'll come visit and we can go ride together. :gay:
She has an MTB (an older Ellsworth 26" FS), but it's "too scary" to ride off-road. I put semi slicks on it and it's the only way to get her to ride on the street because her road bike is "too rough". Yes, she has more bikes than I do, but never rides the road bike, and I haven't been able to sell it, so it just sits. She told me that buying a new bike is stupid and I just need to get my old Giant back, but I've had it for 10 years and I want to try something new. Oh well.

I think you'd find most of the stuff directly around me lame, but the upper peninsula has some EPIC MTB. 4-7 hours away depending on where you want to go. Copper Harbor is the mecca. I rode there once years ago when I was in shape and it was outstanding. I want to get back there and to that level again, but that's going to be a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:03 pm

:dat: There is very little inventory around here, but most of the shops are still pretty cool and often have something used in stock or maybe a handful of demo units, so they may be able to at least help you get a feel for different styles/geometries. From there, you can at least get a sense of what to order.

I don't think I would've been able to pull the trigger on the Ribble if I hadn't test road a Domane with almost identical geometry. It was a $4K bike with high end components and a color scheme I didn't like, I told them it wasn't for me but they were cool about me riding it anyway.

I didn't end up buying a bike through them, but have bought lots of little things there and gotten repairs done, so it's a win-win.
I just want to talk to someone about options open to me for what/how I want to ride bonus since they'll know the area and what works. I'll probably just be tire kicking, but would be fun to learn more. I've been out of the MTB bike game for a while.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm

:butwhy:

Get her one too.

Also, get a bike, and I'll come visit and we can go ride together. :gay:
She has an MTB (an older Ellsworth 26" FS), but it's "too scary" to ride off-road. I put semi slicks on it and it's the only way to get her to ride on the street because her road bike is "too rough". Yes, she has more bikes than I do, but never rides the road bike, and I haven't been able to sell it, so it just sits. She told me that buying a new bike is stupid and I just need to get my old Giant back, but I've had it for 10 years and I want to try something new. Oh well.

I think you'd find most of the stuff directly around me lame, but the upper peninsula has some EPIC MTB. 4-7 hours away depending on where you want to go. Copper Harbor is the mecca. I rode there once years ago when I was in shape and it was outstanding. I want to get back there and to that level again, but that's going to be a while.
Damn dude... sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here, but she is a major buzz kill lately. I am :triggered: that you can't use any bit of the garage as a car guy, when you are the car enthusiast of the pair and she has a nice vehicle as-is but I tried to leave it alone as it's really not my business. But a bicycle is hardly a huge money/space suck, I don't see the problem.

You are working every day at a job you don't really like to support the family, one bike hardly seems a big ask.

Anyway, sorry to come in hot/ :triggered:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 pm

I can ride a MTB anywhere and have fun.

Also, :whocares: about if you buy a bike. Such a silly thing for her to be up in arms about.
Anything that isn't her idea :triggered: her, especially since a bike will be a $2-$4k purchase.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

When I bought my road bike, I employed the ask for forgiveness rather than permission policy and it turned out fine :lolol:

She was slightly :triggered: by the $2600 OTD price tag but overall was like "you ride your bike all the time, sounds like it will be fun for you" and that was that.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:20 pm

Damn dude... sorry if I'm speaking out of turn here, but she is a major buzz kill lately. I am :triggered: that you can't use any bit of the garage as a car guy, when you are the car enthusiast of the pair and she has a nice vehicle as-is but I tried to leave it alone as it's really not my business. But a bicycle is hardly a huge money/space suck, I don't see the problem.

You are working every day at a job you don't really like to support the family, one bike hardly seems a big ask.

Anyway, sorry to come in hot/ :triggered:
Oh no, it's good dude. Your feels are mine lately. I've had a lot of :eeyore: about her recently, but I think being stuck together in close quarters non stop with nowhere to go/do is wearing hard. Trying to focus on the positives, which is living where I do. I just need to be patient. She'll calm down once there's more to do and she finds a job.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:21 pm When I bought my road bike, I employed the ask for forgiveness rather than permission policy and it turned out fine :lolol:

She was slightly :triggered: by the $2600 OTD price tag but overall was like "you ride your bike all the time, sounds like it will be fun for you" and that was that.
She doesn't like me having my own activities...she has deep rooted abandonment issues from something that will need to be addressed at some point (might be coming sooner rather than later), but she views a $4k bike purchase as spending money so I can abandon her to ride on the regular. Yes, she's said that.

She's flying to CA in a week to visit her precious family...I got out of it by blaming the dog and work so I'll have a few weeks to myself. I'll probably go buy a bike (maybe a Jeep) and just :aintcare: she'll get over it.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:26 pm
She doesn't like me having my own activities...she has deep rooted abandonment issues from something that will need to be addressed at some point (might be coming sooner rather than later), but she views a $4k bike purchase as spending money so I can abandon her to ride on the regular. Yes, she's said that.

She's flying to CA in a week to visit her precious family...I got out of it by blaming the dog and work so I'll have a few weeks to myself. I'll probably go buy a bike (maybe a Jeep) and just :aintcare: she'll get over it.
Well, at least she's fully disclosed why she feels the way she does. There is that, I suppose.

But you also need to disclose to her that you need an outlet and one that gets you fitter instead of fatter is a good outlet to have. If I didn't have my bikes this year... fuck, it would've been a very bad year.

Congrats on escaping the inlaws, as well.
Getting out of the CA inlaws trip was a huge win, so I'll take it where I can. I'm very concerned she's going to end up with COVID (and thus I am), but I'm tired of fighting it. Her family lives in maybe the worst hot spot in the world right now, but they'll somehow protect her? Whatever.

She's supportive of fitness, I think she's just concerned how into it I'll get. I used to live on my MTB. My dad currently does, as does all the people he hangs with. So I think she's worried I'll go off the deep end. It's all about balance, and I need to prove that still. There's also the element of what she's going to do when spend a Saturday afternoon riding or something. We need more friends up here, which is immensely difficult with everything closed down.
ChrisoftheNorth

ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:01 pm
Getting out of the CA inlaws trip was a huge win, so I'll take it where I can. I'm very concerned she's going to end up with COVID (and thus I am), but I'm tired of fighting it. Her family lives in maybe the worst hot spot in the world right now, but they'll somehow protect her? Whatever.

She's supportive of fitness, I think she's just concerned how into it I'll get. I used to live on my MTB. My dad currently does, as does all the people he hangs with. So I think she's worried I'll go off the deep end. It's all about balance, and I need to prove that still. There's also the element of what she's going to do when spend a Saturday afternoon riding or something. We need more friends up here, which is immensely difficult with everything closed down.
She needs hobbies, not friends.
One in the same to her. She HATES being alone.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 pm
One in the same to her. She HATES being alone.
Get her some chickens. :jackass:
:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah man, I hear you on all of these issues.

I got the bike for my wife because I thought it would be a cool thing we could do together... well, she doesn't like cycling "for exercise" (even though she loves indoor cycling for exercise) and so it's painfully slow rides only, and only when it's sunny and 75-85F. She wouldn't hear of getting a road bike and so her bike is heavy and slow.

Like your wife, mine is an extrovert (probably not quite as severely) and so she wants me to always be a part of things she's doing, whereas I'm totally happy to go ride my bike alone for hours.

It sounds like once vaccines are available and Infamous can get out in the world more, it will be easier. I understand her perspective, this shit sucks, particularly for those who thrive on going out, chatting with people, etc.

It's too bad she didn't get the winery gig, she would be working when you were off sometimes to free up your time a bit. Plus it would be very social which would be good. It's also for the best to be at home now though, so :iono:

I suspect the car reservations are probably more about your dedication of time as well.

Relationships... they are hard.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:07 pm Yeah man, I hear you on all of these issues.

I got the bike for my wife because I thought it would be a cool thing we could do together... well, she doesn't like cycling "for exercise" (even though she loves indoor cycling for exercise) and so it's painfully slow rides only, and only when it's sunny and 75-85F. She wouldn't hear of getting a road bike and so her bike is heavy and slow.

Like your wife, mine is an extrovert (probably not quite as severely) and so she wants me to always be a part of things she's doing, whereas I'm totally happy to go ride my bike alone for hours.

It sounds like once vaccines are available and Infamous can get out in the world more, it will be easier. I understand her perspective, this shit sucks, particularly for those who thrive on going out, chatting with people, etc.

It's too bad she didn't get the winery gig, she would be working when you were off sometimes to free up your time a bit. Plus it would be very social which would be good. It's also for the best to be at home now though, so :iono:

I suspect the car reservations are probably more about your dedication of time as well.

Relationships... they are hard.
You get it. I just need to :stfu: and get through it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I tell my wife to :chillthefuckout: about my hobbies. We fight :doe: , but everyone has a right to their own free time. The above behaviors trigger the fuck out of me. 5/7 am a once in a lifetime marriage type person.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:01 pm I tell my wife to :chillthefuckout: about my hobbies. We fight :doe: , but everyone has a right to their own free time. The above behaviors trigger the fuck out of me. 5/7 am a once in a lifetime marriage type person.
In defense of the :tits: , Chris and I probably both knew this about them going in. My wife is fairly supportive of things, she never complains about me spending money on track shit or the like and mostly enjoys some time apart. It is always a balancing act though, fortunately she has her own friends and they normally do things. She also is into her work a bit more than I am. It has been interesting transitioning into fully disclosing my spending and stuff, but so far so good.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:01 pm I tell my wife to :chillthefuckout: about my hobbies. We fight :doe: , but everyone has a right to their own free time. The above behaviors trigger the fuck out of me. 5/7 am a once in a lifetime marriage type person.
In defense of the :tits: , Chris and I probably both knew this about them going in. My wife is fairly supportive of things, she never complains about me spending money on track shit or the like and mostly enjoys some time apart. It is always a balancing act though, fortunately she has her own friends and they normally do things. She also is into her work a bit more than I am. It has been interesting transitioning into fully disclosing my spending and stuff, but so far so good.
:dat: