Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Cupmaggeddon is approaching Compass-Gate

:impressive:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:46 am FWIW my friend waited over a year for his exclusive color S4 and his wife's Stanley scratched the CF trim immediately. So it's not just a BMW problem.
His "wife" better be offering the holiest of the holy as a sacrifice for a solid year for this grotesque violation.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:20 pm

They look to be the same size but it's obviously less of an issue because they're not changing gears.

Here's pictures from a thread I found talking about the perfect travel mug because the cupholders suck. Notice the flat wireless charge pad in the back.

Got it. Man this situ is almost like being in Somalia with no food or water and surrounded by AK-47 wielding pirates. Much suffering, very 3rd world, wow.
Right? My hydration levels suffer while driving this car.
max225

Speaking of driving, are you past the break in yet?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 am Speaking of driving, are you past the break in yet?
:( I wish. I'm only at 378 miles.

We've gotten a bunch of snow this week including 4-6" today which means I've gotta drive it in the slush tomorrow to get my new tire. :disappoint:

I've also got questions for them about tire pressure as the door jamb says 32psi front and 33 rear for the OEM setup while the car is looking for something higher as it's telling me to inflate the tires despite them being at 34 psi. This leads me to the MyBMW app which is telling me it's 36psi front and 41psi rear.

32/33 seems very low to me but :iono:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:13 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:28 am Speaking of driving, are you past the break in yet?

We've gotten a bunch of snow this week including 4-6" today which means I've gotta drive it in the slush tomorrow to get my new tire. :disappoint:

I've also got questions for them about tire pressure as the door jamb says 32psi front and 33 rear for the OEM setup while the car is looking for something higher as it's telling me to inflate the tires despite them being at 34 psi. This leads me to the MyBMW app which is telling me it's 36psi front and 41psi rear.

Funny enough you mentioned that... the I4 was at 36/41 as well... and my IX is 36/42. There should be a "Tire" setting in the I drive.
When you set it to 100mph+ it may advise you to raise the pressure. See if that may be causing it... 32/33 seems low for bmw.

Also ... my IX is already at 700 miles... :hubba:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:20 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:13 am

Funny enough you mentioned that... the I4 was at 36/41 as well... and my IX is 36/42. There should be a "Tire" setting in the I drive.
When you set it to 100mph+ it may advise you to raise the pressure. See if that may be causing it... 32/33 seems low for bmw.

I did the tire setting thing. Not sure if you can pick the tire size in other bmw's but I selected "winter" and picked the matching tire size for the rear axle so the car should know it has 275/35-19 all around. I did select 100mph+ since the conti's are rated for it. Seems weird that the 100mph option would put a consistent "inflate tire" message on the car.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:34 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:20 am

I did the tire setting thing. Not sure if you can pick the tire size in other bmw's but I selected "winter" and picked the matching tire size for the rear axle so the car should know it has 275/35-19 all around. I did select 100mph+ since the conti's are rated for it. Seems weird that the 100mph option would put a consistent "inflate tire" message on the car.
Lower it and report back. :yikes:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:35 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:34 am

Lower it and report back. :yikes:
It figures though. We haven't gotten snow in 2 years so as soon as I dump my awd hatchback for a rwd sedan we get dumped on.

Hopefully the roads are good to drive on tomorrow.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Cupmaggeddon will have to wait. :(

I rescheduled my :dillerman: appointment as some roads around me are still snow packed. Main roads are fine but getting to them might be an issue. Hell, I don’t know if I’d be able to get out of my neighborhood as my street and the main road in and out are still snow packed.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:15 am Cupmaggeddon will have to wait. :(

I rescheduled my :dillerman: appointment as some roads around me are still snow packed. Main roads are fine but getting to them might be an issue. Hell, I don’t know if I’d be able to get out of my neighborhood as my street and the main road in and out are still snow packed.
I forget what vehicle do you use when you can’t use the bmw ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:56 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:15 am Cupmaggeddon will have to wait. :(

The Rage4. That actually handled the snow quite well the last few days.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:06 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:56 am

I got stuck at Atlanta airport like 8-10 years ago due to a big snow, said fuck it I’m going home, rented a Rav and it was quite dece.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:27 pm

I got stuck at Atlanta airport like 8-10 years ago due to a big snow, said fuck it I’m going home, rented a Rav and it was quite dece.
I thought you hated the Rav? I think they are alright. Comfy enough and look nice. And yeah these little crossovers with AWD do just fine in snow. My CRV was a champ in this last storm.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:53 am

I thought you hated the Rav? I think they are alright. Comfy enough and look nice. And yeah these little crossovers with AWD do just fine in snow. My CRV was a champ in this last storm.
I mean, I don’t like it in the sense that I would never want one, but they are effective and it was really good in the snow.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:53 am

I will say during my visit here during my turkey covid hiatus after i sold my gti, i had a rav4 for a week before i switched over the rogue sport which feels like a pos in comparison. I liked the car, let alone not being a dreadful cvt. Also drove my friends 2002 rav4 in turkey back in 2013? and that was a Pos, reliable car? Absolutely. Its very uncomfortable, noisy and gutlessly slow (it is the euro spec after all).
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I was kind of surprised. I put it in snow mode and it did well. There's no hard button for diff lock but maybe that mode sends more power around instead of keeping it mainly fwd? :iono: It does have a torque vectoring rear diff though which was probably helpful.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm

I was kind of surprised. I put it in snow mode and it did well. There's no hard button for diff lock but maybe that mode sends more power around instead of keeping it mainly fwd? :iono: It does have a torque vectoring rear diff though which was probably helpful.
The tacoma and other "truck" like vehicles have A-Trac... which is essentially brake based TC on each wheel. I would assume they deploy something similar on the other vehicles also.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:31 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm

The tacoma and other "truck" like vehicles have A-Trac... which is essentially brake based TC on each wheel. I would assume they deploy something similar on the other vehicles also.
It's not brake based on the limited Rage4 which is what we've got. The manual doesn't say what it does exactly but google tells me it dulls throttle input and cuts back on power.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/toy ... explained/
Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD With Driveline Disconnect
Solving some of those woes in other Toyota all-wheel-drive offerings is Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD with Driveline Disconnect. This surprisingly sophisticated system is found in the RAV4 TRD Off-Road, Adventure, and Limited, as well as the Highlander Limited and Highlander Platinum. As on the more basic system, the all-wheel-drive transfer case is integrated into the transmission, but between it and the driveshaft is a dog clutch that can completely disengage when only front-wheel-drive is needed, reducing drag on the system.

A second dog clutch between the driveshaft and the rear differential further improves the system's flexibility in metering out power appropriately. What's more, clutch packs in the differential itself provide active torque vectoring—when one wheel loses traction and starts spinning, the clutches engage, sending power to the other wheel. By reducing its dependence on the brake-based traction control, the system is even better at keeping the vehicle moving forward.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:31 pm

It's not brake based on the limited Rage4 which is what we've got. The manual doesn't say what it does exactly but google tells me it dulls throttle input and cuts back on power.

Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD With Driveline Disconnect
Solving some of those woes in other Toyota all-wheel-drive offerings is Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD with Driveline Disconnect. This surprisingly sophisticated system is found in the RAV4 TRD Off-Road, Adventure, and Limited, as well as the Highlander Limited and Highlander Platinum. As on the more basic system, the all-wheel-drive transfer case is integrated into the transmission, but between it and the driveshaft is a dog clutch that can completely disengage when only front-wheel-drive is needed, reducing drag on the system.

A second dog clutch between the driveshaft and the rear differential further improves the system's flexibility in metering out power appropriately. What's more, clutch packs in the differential itself provide active torque vectoring—when one wheel loses traction and starts spinning, the clutches engage, sending power to the other wheel. By reducing its dependence on the brake-based traction control, the system is even better at keeping the vehicle moving forward.
:themoreyouknow: that's a lot of clutches.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:54 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:30 pm

I had no idea they had different awd systems based on trim until the :dillerman: service guy started talking about transfer case and rear diff fluid changes
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:46 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:54 pm

I had no idea they had different awd systems based on trim until the :dillerman: service guy started talking about transfer case and rear diff fluid changes
They probably put that same diff into the corolla GR :yikes:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:52 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:46 pm

They probably put that same diff into the corolla GR :yikes:
That would certain explain the overheating issues
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Didn’t realize the limited got the same rear diff as the adventure. That’s neat. And yeah that would help with stability in snow and ice.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Dropped the bmw at the detailer of doom this morning. He's going to wash it, look for anything else that needs fixing, and put down new ppf on the roof. Going to pick it up tomorrow night so it has a full day and a half to cure in his shop.

Though when I pulled up his shop was completely full so we'll see when it actually gets pulled inside. :notsure:

Also, changing the tire setting to less than 100mph removed the constant inflate tire message. Why even have 2 different pressure settings? Just use the one for above 100mph.