Dem bicicletas dos, doe.

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:19 pmIt's cool to get better and be fit and stuff, but it's also just a :neat: way to be outside and explore.
That's fine when you're already fit. The rest of us have room for improvement! :fatty:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:15 pm

Same. Most of my friends that bought computers and nerded out with power meters and such dumped the sport after 2 years due to frustrations with not actually winning any CAT3 races :lolol: :rage:

Meanwhile I just kept trucking along at my B/C pace doing my couple rides a week and enjoying getting out.
My ride this morning was like 1 mph slower because of my fucked wheel and being in the city but it was just :neat: to be out and riding through some neighborhoods I've never even seen despite living in Charlotte for 26 years. It's cool to get better and be fit and stuff, but it's also just a :neat: way to be outside and explore.

I am pretty gungho on :troywax: on a stupid $2500 bike at this point though. Once I have the Beemah cash in hand I think I'll :doit:
IMO you are doing it the right way. Find out you enjoy the sport and then upgrade the sled. $2500 should get you a nice ass bike.

For something a little more budget friendly there's the Specialized Allez Sprint, Cannondale CAAD, and Trek Emonda ALR.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 pm

My ride this morning was like 1 mph slower because of my fucked wheel and being in the city but it was just :neat: to be out and riding through some neighborhoods I've never even seen despite living in Charlotte for 26 years. It's cool to get better and be fit and stuff, but it's also just a :neat: way to be outside and explore.

I am pretty gungho on :troywax: on a stupid $2500 bike at this point though. Once I have the Beemah cash in hand I think I'll :doit:
IMO you are doing it the right way. Find out you enjoy the sport and then upgrade the sled. $2500 should get you a nice ass bike.

For something a little more budget friendly there's the Specialized Allez Sprint, Cannondale CAAD, and Trek Emonda ALR.
It's a shame they don't offer this in a pre-built bike :rage:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I need to get out and actually find the time to test some things. Not sure how much I should spend, it seems like mostly you just get something that's a pound lighter or whatever... :aintcare: really, but I am kind of of the mind that if I'm going to drop four figures on a bike again, I don't really care how much it is up to $3K. After all, I sold my car with the intent of trying to use a bike as my primary form of transport, so spending one shitty Miata on a bike seems reasonable.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:15 pm

Same. Most of my friends that bought computers and nerded out with power meters and such dumped the sport after 2 years due to frustrations with not actually winning any CAT3 races :lolol: :rage:

Meanwhile I just kept trucking along at my B/C pace doing my couple rides a week and enjoying getting out.

I took my vacation/PTO payout from my job switch last year and :troywax: like a MF on my carbon MTB. Bike is killer, I’m slow AF but I have fun getting out. :aintcare:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

I'm not biased or anything.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

3rdgenfan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Man, this with the chameleon paint is sweet : https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... =greendark
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 pm
3rdgenfan wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Man, this with the chameleon paint is sweet : https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... =greendark
:doit:
troyguitar

In what will surprise absolutely no one, I felt much better on the bike today after taking yesterday off after 20 days in a row of largely increasing efforts and decreasing sleep. 20th day my hour averaged 112 watts, after a day off I did 142 today. Still weak as fucking hell. Ass still hurts, neck still hurts, but it continues to get very slowly better over time.

Apparently I have a tendency to slide forward on the damn saddle, even with it adjusted at a slight incline and positioned as far forward as possible. When I wear my super slippery shorts I can keep sliding back into the "right" position constantly and that makes my ass hurt less, but it's still pretty painful after an hour, even with a break at the 30 minute mark.

Dunno what the fuck else I can do to make it not fucking painful. When does it get fun again?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:43 pm In what will surprise absolutely no one, I felt much better on the bike today after taking yesterday off after 20 days in a row of largely increasing efforts and decreasing sleep. 20th day my hour averaged 112 watts, after a day off I did 142 today. Still weak as fucking hell. Ass still hurts, neck still hurts, but it continues to get very slowly better over time.

Apparently I have a tendency to slide forward on the damn saddle, even with it adjusted at a slight incline and positioned as far forward as possible. When I wear my super slippery shorts I can keep sliding back into the "right" position constantly and that makes my ass hurt less, but it's still pretty painful after an hour, even with a break at the 30 minute mark.

Dunno what the fuck else I can do to make it not fucking painful. When does it get fun again?
:iono: man maybe yoga or physical therapy or something. Sounds like it is more the result of the injuries from hockey than anything. Whenever I've not ridden for several months and then got back on my MTB or something, my ass hurts terribly but it usually is fine after two or three rides.

I have always been terrible with stretching/yoga so I'm a bad point of reference for this stuff. I always just kind of jump right in to what I'm doing workout wise.
troyguitar

I'd kill for my ass to be "fine" after 2 or 3 rides. I'm at 31 rides since May 11th and it's gone from unbearable pain to bearable pain, but it's nowhere near fun and I don't see how it's ever going to become fun for more than 20 minutes at a time.

My neck is what it is, that'll likely be fucked for the rest of my life because I played hockey for 2 years in a non-checking league. Fuck this fucking world.
Johnny_P

:impressive:

Troy maybe try looking up some bike fit youtube vids or articles regarding saddle position. If you're inching forward it could be your body saying you're too far back. You can get a zero setback seat post to bring it forward another 20mm ish if you need to.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 pm Bike Park Tomorrow!
pics
Apex

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:14 am

pics
NSFW :dong: showing.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote::impressive:

Troy maybe try looking up some bike fit youtube vids or articles regarding saddle position. If you're inching forward it could be your body saying you're too far back. You can get a zero setback seat post to bring it forward another 20mm ish if you need to.
Is what it is, I've probably been through every article published on the subject by now at least once. I change something almost every day. It's getting better. It still hurts.

You can just ride a bike for 4 hours and your ass doesn't hurt?
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote::impressive:

Is what it is, I've probably been through every article published on the subject by now at least once. I change something almost every day. It's getting better. It still hurts.

You can just ride a bike for 4 hours and your ass doesn't hurt?
No sharp pain. Some dull ache at the 4 hr mark. Peepee used to go numb on the last bike after like 2 hrs. :yikes: that doesn’t happen on this bike. Guess it was the saddle. That bike was generally uncomfortable to me though, the geometry was too stretched out for me.

I know next to nothing about fit and saddles and all that.
Johnny_P

Hey everyone, update on Fled.

He’s ok. Heading home from a rough afternoon in the hospital. Going to be a rough recovery for him. I’ll let him post up what happened if he wants to, and details on recovery. Just wanted everyone to know he’s ok.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 pm Hey everyone, update on Fled.

He’s ok. Heading home from a rough afternoon in the hospital. Going to be a rough recovery for him. I’ll let him post up what happened if he wants to, and details on recovery. Just wanted everyone to know he’s ok.
:like:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 pm Hey everyone, update on Fled.

Ok is a relative term.

Just got home. Updates tomorrow, but I’m done with bikes for the season.

Trails were treacherous. I’m just glad it was me and not her.
Apex

Killing it [user not found]!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

What kind of discount should one be able to expect on a 2020 model year bike right now?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Apex wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:50 amKilling it [user not found]!
:dat:

Averaging 300+ watts for that long is :impressive:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:31 am What kind of discount should one be able to expect on a 2020 model year bike right now?
Hardly any. Bikes are flying off the shelves and most stores and brands can’t keep them in stock.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:05 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:07 pm

I just don't GAF. I feel like it would take away from some of the fun.
Everyone's different. I use one because I have targets I need to keep in sight (average speed, time, distance) and mine also does navigation for my stupid crazy long rides.

There's nothing wrong with just turning on Strava and throwing your phone in your pocket, though. You do you. But if you're trying to monitor HR while on the bike, you're gonna need something more than just the phone.

Mad respect for what you're doing. I'm just not really a competitive person, I feel accomplished just having longer distance and more elevation gain. I don't need to be the best at cycling.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:48 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:29 pm

I need to get out and actually find the time to test some things. Not sure how much I should spend, it seems like mostly you just get something that's a pound lighter or whatever... :aintcare: really, but I am kind of of the mind that if I'm going to drop four figures on a bike again, I don't really care how much it is up to $3K. After all, I sold my car with the intent of trying to use a bike as my primary form of transport, so spending one shitty Miata on a bike seems reasonable.
If I was you, looking for an aluminum frame disc road bike right now, I'd likely go with the Emonda ALR in purple flip, like turdgenfan. The Allez Sprint might be a bit too racy for you in terms of handling/ride/fit. It's a race bike. The Emonda is geared a bit more towards endurance with some racy qualities.
:word:

I don't see myself ever racing, I doubt I would ever even do a group ride other than going out with a few friends.