Goldilocks Zone Brainstorming

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

My former boss works for Cognizant, a huge company that does a lot of consulting work. They have about 300k employees worldwide. He is 100% remote, tied to/based out of their DC office.

Every 100% WFH role that is at least director or above is usually tied to the company’s biggest office in their proximity. His company’s US HQ is in New Jersey, but they have regional offices everywhere.

I feel like it’s the same principle with Max’s scenario.

Troy, your wife’s management may be cooler with it if you show them you’re planning to stay nearby one of their corporate offices. NC might be your best bet to play it safe (rent for a year and evaluate)
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:42 pm

I’d move to Hawaii. Would be awesome.
Yea sure, and I’d love to wake up to a view of the Eiffel Tower also :lolgasm: a man can dream
I've seen a few episodes of "Island Hunters" and such. You can buy a pretty nice retirement home in Hawaii for a lot less than you might imagine......dat COLA doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Yea sure, and I’d love to wake up to a view of the Eiffel Tower also :lolgasm: a man can dream
I've seen a few episodes of "Island Hunters" and such. You can buy a pretty nice retirement home in Hawaii for a lot less than you might imagine......dat COLA doe.
Quite aware, Big island is around 150-250k for a house, you just have to be faced with the possibility, of it turning into a used match every couple of years... The woman and I thought about Maui, but that's a millskie again. The big draw for us is the direct 4.5 hr flight... We can get to hawaii quicker than to Texas or NY
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Quite aware, Big island is around 150-250k for a house, you just have to be faced with the possibility, of it turning into a used match every couple of years... The woman and I thought about Maui, but that's a millskie again. The big draw for us is the direct 4.5 hr flight... We can get to hawaii quicker than to Texas or NY
The episodes I saw had guys getting $500Kish places on the Big Island, NOT on the beach, NOT in a Lava flow, but around Kona with an ocean view. New or recent construction. That's reasonable to me.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

$27 for a gallon of milk.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:14 pm
I'd stall my career at this level for the rest of my career if I could WFH 100% and live wherever I wanted. That would be a massive perk.
My point is, I don't think it is a predictable and sustainable practice. Say you move to PR, under the premise that you get to WFH 100%. Say shit hits the fan you get laid off, the fuck you gonna do, find a job in PR? No company has adapted a full 100% policy as such to sustain it. And that massive population shift hasn't happened. Otherwise everyone would live in much cheaper places.

TL;DR
This is 100% jumping the gun.
Yeah so there are a number of reasons why Charlotte remains at the top of the list - and why we almost bought a place in Charlotte last year NFG too. It's not our dream location but it could be our best reasonable choice.

A: If shit hits the fan right now, we are already fucked. Who else do you work for in Corning, NY but Corning, Inc? There are no more other jobs here than there are in Puerto Rico. It's Corning or being a Corona Cashier at the grocery store. Charlotte actually has other companies where we might be able to get real local jobs.

B: :tits: is about maxed out career-progress-wise within this company, any higher move would require A FUCKLOAD more time, effort, and stress with which she is unable to deal without physically making herself sick. She's pretty much looking at other companies for any further moves, with no more meaningful title/responsibility/salary increases but hopefully quality of life increases - like actual 21st century policies on vacation time or WFH flexibility or an office in a nice place. Corning gives 4 weeks of vacation after 15 fucking years of service. Google gives 5 weeks at like 3 years and has offices all over the globe from which you can work. :waxer: has what, 12 weeks plus 100% remote flexibility? Fuck Corning. Going to 100% remote and moving to a real city is not our idea of a permanent move, it's continuing to be paid while looking for a better job.

C: Corning just finished building a secondary HQ in Charlotte. That's where she was hoping to end up working in the first place but it didn't happen because no :alpo: luck. They have a corporate shuttle that flies between Charlotte and Corning 2 or 3 times a week. She could easily get between the two locations or even probably ride a desk in Charlotte if they just have to have her "on company property" for some :bs: reason. The only other city with direct flights to the Corning area is Detroit, if we lived anywhere else then getting to HQ would be a 1-2 stop flight.
troyguitar

I like to dream about France or California but the reality is that we will never live there. We might live in North Carolina some day if we're lucky.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:05 pm

My point is, I don't think it is a predictable and sustainable practice. Say you move to PR, under the premise that you get to WFH 100%. Say shit hits the fan you get laid off, the fuck you gonna do, find a job in PR? No company has adapted a full 100% policy as such to sustain it. And that massive population shift hasn't happened. Otherwise everyone would live in much cheaper places.

TL;DR
Yeah so there are a number of reasons why Charlotte remains at the top of the list - and why we almost bought a place in Charlotte last year NFG too. It's not our dream location but it could be our best reasonable choice.

A: If shit hits the fan right now, we are already fucked. Who else do you work for in Corning, NY but Corning, Inc? There are no more other jobs here than there are in Puerto Rico. It's Corning or being a Corona Cashier at the grocery store. Charlotte actually has other companies where we might be able to get real local jobs.

B: :tits: is about maxed out career-progress-wise within this company, any higher move would require A FUCKLOAD more time, effort, and stress with which she is unable to deal without physically making herself sick. She's pretty much looking at other companies for any further moves, with no more meaningful title/responsibility/salary increases but hopefully quality of life increases - like actual 21st century policies on vacation time or WFH flexibility or an office in a nice place. Corning gives 4 weeks of vacation after 15 fucking years of service. Google gives 5 weeks at like 3 years and has offices all over the globe from which you can work. :waxer: has what, 12 weeks plus 100% remote flexibility? Fuck Corning. Going to 100% remote and moving to a real city is not our idea of a permanent move, it's continuing to be paid while looking for a better job.

C: Corning just finished building a secondary HQ in Charlotte. That's where she was hoping to end up working in the first place but it didn't happen because no :alpo: luck. They have a corporate shuttle that flies between Charlotte and Corning 2 or 3 times a week. She could easily get between the two locations or even probably ride a desk in Charlotte if they just have to have her "on company property" for some :bs: reason. The only other city with direct flights to the Corning area is Detroit, if we lived anywhere else then getting to HQ would be a 1-2 stop flight.
Definitely plenty of job opportunity here, what does she do specifically?
razr390

D Griff wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:03 pm

She pays most of the bills

:trollface:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:14 pm
I'd stall my career at this level for the rest of my career if I could WFH 100% and live wherever I wanted. That would be a massive perk.

TL;DR
:dat: say if this wasn't the case, there wouldn't be THAT much rush hour traffic in my area. Not to mention, lot of people move there for their career as an attorney for the most part and many others. At this point, freelancing is the only way to move pretty much anywhere cheap.

On the contrary, If I was in the position like that, I'd compromise cheap cost and a good place to live. I don't mind living in Baltimore, it's scene is pretty chill depending on which part if you don't mind venturing elsewhere by car here and there & drive to DC often to see friends, family and other stuff I like to do, since Baltimore county itself is so cheap compared to my neck of the woods even. If there's no reason for me to live in the DC metro other than work period without having to show up at an office, I'd say fuck it and move to Barcelona.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

TL;DR

And here is your answer, Charlotte is the way
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:09 pm I like to dream about France or California but the reality is that we will never live there. We might live in North Carolina some day if we're lucky.
I don’t understand the France piece but ok.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:05 pm Yeah so there are a number of reasons why Charlotte remains at the top of the list - and why we almost bought a place in Charlotte last year NFG too. It's not our dream location but it could be our best reasonable choice.

Whatever someone will let her do, she's never had multiple job opportunities from which to choose. What do you want for 2 master's degrees from the best school in the world? Right now she manages a small team doing market/competition analysis for glass companies... in automotive applications. :doomed:

That was a fucking bait and switch story itself. She was originally supposed to have a similar job but in the more general display glass development division. A week after we moved up here they reorganized the whole thing and punted her into a tiny new division focused on automotive with a new boss and 50% more responsibility without any discussion or raise.
razr390

max225 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:09 pm I like to dream about France or California but the reality is that we will never live there. We might live in North Carolina some day if we're lucky.
He just really likes baguettes
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
I love that place. I love the language. I love the food. I love the art. I love the people, the wine, the history, the architecture, the attitude and the whole way of life there.

It took 20 years to get to go visit once in 2018 and it was the best time of my life. I cried when I finally made it. I cried when I had to leave.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:48 pm
max225 wrote:
I love that place. I love the language. I love the food. I love the art. I love the people, the wine, the history, the architecture, the attitude and the whole way of life there.

It took 20 years to get to go visit once in 2018 and it was the best time of my life. I cried when I finally made it. I cried when I had to leave.
That’s how I feel about Maui, minus the crying. But I have to be realistic too.
troyguitar

Being realistic sucks. It's fucking snowing like crazy now and I'm realistically stuck in this shit for the foreseeable future.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:49 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:43 pm

He just really likes baguettes
I mean, have you had a fresh baked baguette?

:fancy:
my shithole country has baguettes too :)
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:10 pm Being realistic sucks. It's fucking snowing like crazy now and I'm realistically stuck in this shit for the foreseeable future.
QFT
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:10 pm Being realistic sucks. It's fucking snowing like crazy now and I'm realistically stuck in this shit for the foreseeable future.
We had a random squall move through a few hours ago and the wife had a meltdown. Crying, carrying on, lots of "stuck in this shit for the foreseeable future talk"

Got the ganja out, all is :ohwell: now. Allman Brothers on and everything
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Damn it's blue skies here. Sorry Troy.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:06 pm
We had a random squall move through a few hours ago and the wife had a meltdown. Crying, carrying on, lots of "stuck in this shit for the foreseeable future talk"

The JB Weld of personal life.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:06 pm

It really is.

Smoked a bowl, crying stopped, we cooked up some awesome veggie stir fry on brown rice.with a fantastic Viognier...life is a ok.

You can dwell on what sucks, or find a way to cope that isn't full blown drug addiction.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 pm [/size][/b]

It really is.

Smoked a bowl, crying stopped, we cooked up some awesome veggie stir fry on brown rice.with a fantastic Viognier...life is a ok.

You can dwell on what sucks, or find a way to cope that isn't full blown drug addiction.
agreed.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:18 pm
It really is.

So much fucking this.

Less moping, more coping.
:dat:

Blow some :unicorn: sunshine up yer ass and smile once in awhile. :hue: