OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:49 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 pm Oh, that reminds me! The broker company that we used for our move, that we didn’t know was a broker, got shut down this week :lol: Luckily we had disputed the charge on our credit card for the deposit we put in with them, so that money was returned and now we don’t have to worry about them fighting it. We’re still fighting for the over-charges from the company that actually picked our shit up though :rage:
Man, I forgot about this whole saga. Most of the money was with the pick up company, right? That is :rage: inducing.

Hopefully the commute/remote thing works out OK. What made you guys choose Portland over the Seattle area?
Much cheaper COL, my bossbro and another good friend of mine both moving to this city so we had built in friends since Michelle gets along with their wives/fiancés. But if that COL savings is going to be eaten by more expensive and more frequent commuting then we may as well get up closer to Seattle and find a decent ‘burb to settle down in.
SAWCE

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:51 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:27 pm

It had been our preferred method of transportation; but with flight prices we’ll likely end up sucking it up and carpooling together.

Don’t remember if you were here when the move went down, but bossbro bought a house outside of Portland, so when we moved up we moved to the same city. His risk tolerance is generally tighter than mine so I trusted his judgement that returning to the office (Seattle) would be minimal. DoC shit on all of that and is enforcing a minimum of 2 days in the office per pay period. Boss is tight with his boss, our director, and thinks that after a month or two of that things will relax and they’ll be able to unofficially have us come it just once a month. If that doesn’t happen, we will very likely be relocation closer to Seattle after our lease is up next May.
Not to be :eeyore: but most places are gearing up to start 2023 with more firm expectations of who goes into the office when and how often.
:word: the 2 days/pp is going to stay for us as a maximum for in the office, which is nice at least. We also have a group out in St. Louis or some shit who is doing an official test with full remote work and then DoC/NOAA will revisit their decision and possibly come down from that and go back to full remote for everyone or the 1 day/month thag was expected.

Funny they have to do a pilot program to test it when we now have 2.5 years worth of data showing that full remote worked just fine and not a single metric showed lower productivity. But, .gov gonna .gov.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:42 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:51 pm

Not to be :eeyore: but most places are gearing up to start 2023 with more firm expectations of who goes into the office when and how often.
:word: the 2 days/pp is going to stay for us as a maximum for in the office, which is nice at least. We also have a group out in St. Louis or some shit who is doing an official test with full remote work and then DoC/NOAA will revisit their decision and possibly come down from that and go back to full remote for everyone or the 1 day/month thag was expected.

Funny they have to do a pilot program to test it when we now have 2.5 years worth of data showing that full remote worked just fine and not a single metric showed lower productivity. But, .gov gonna .gov.
As previously noted, ZFG about errthing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:49 pm

Man, I forgot about this whole saga. Most of the money was with the pick up company, right? That is :rage: inducing.

Hopefully the commute/remote thing works out OK. What made you guys choose Portland over the Seattle area?
Much cheaper COL, my bossbro and another good friend of mine both moving to this city so we had built in friends since Michelle gets along with their wives/fiancés. But if that COL savings is going to be eaten by more expensive and more frequent commuting then we may as well get up closer to Seattle and find a decent ‘burb to settle down in.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:39 pm

Lol Love it. Bremerton was actually the first city in my list before I took this job since my old company nassco has a shipyard there and I could have stayed with them or went DoD Navy civilian like I did in SD. If we move up that way, Bremerton/Port Orchid area will be where we focus our search.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:36 pm

Lol Love it. Bremerton was actually the first city in my list before I took this job since my old company nassco has a shipyard there and I could have stayed with them or went DoD Navy civilian like I did in SD. If we move up that way, Bremerton/Port Orchid area will be where we focus our search.
Port ORCHARD brah.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:56 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Port ORCHARD brah.
Yes sir, thank you sir.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So things have been kinda :eeyore: since both of us are back.

For one, :tits: ended up getting an slight fever and a terrible sore throat. Just for precautionary purposes, we decided to "look funny" and rock masks in plane and public transport. Until our second flight, her condition was pretty much fluctuating to better, slightly ill, better and repeat. We spent the night in Amstertam and had Indonesian food, which was 5/7. Also booked a canal cruise at 10:15 PM when the sky wasn't fully dark yet.

For me, on my last full day, I ended up sleeping on the living room couch on my parents apartment in the city. Which did not support my spine, though that has never happened to me. So my spine was hurting but not the breaking bone kind cause I didn't scream in pain. It was ongoing until this morning, gradually getting better by applying aleve and tigerbalm. I took it just now just in case.

Unlike going to Turkey from Amsterdam (which we waited almost 6 hours in line for passport check in and metal detectors btw due to staff shortage :rage: ), it was smooth and quick going from amsterdam to our gate back to DC. We woke up early only to chill at a japanese restaurant for nearly 2 hours. That being said, when we landed back on the way to baggage claim, we saw endless luggages in cages, which im assuming they're lost :mindblown:

Once we got on the plane, it feels like the same plane ive been on since I was probably 10-12, and began to show some wear. There was no airflow until takeoff which made :tits: caused some anxiety. Of course one thing she missed in the US the most throughout the whole trip is Central AC, which is pretty much non-existent in Turkey and some other Mediterranean countries, other than hotels and :waxer: houses.

:tits: and I stayed at my place the first night before heading to her apartment in DC.

When we got to her apartment, she and I took tests, both negative. She lent me a couple of self tests just in case. But yesterday morning, she was positive and I tested myself at work restroom, still became negative, but rocked my mask :doe: as much as I don't like wearing it. Having a fever, no smell, and so on. After work to cheer her up, I grabbed some pizza and tea from this tea place in DC. It was a large pie and took the other half home with me. I was double masked for a hot minute. Listened to a past gas donut media podcast in dc rush hour traffic talking about Jeremy Clarkson, heated it up via microwave and have 2 slices. I just got better other than sore throat and if this continues tomorrow, I will take a test first thing in the morning.

:tits: and i are going to FL at end of September, and booked my first Turo rental, Fiat 500 abarth convertible :manuel: , could not pass that up
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Do ya'll get time off work for the VID? Sucks that you got it on the trip. But that seems super common nowadays.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm Do ya'll get time off work for the VID? Sucks that you got it on the trip. But that seems super common nowadays.
It's truly :sad:

That being said Im off for tomorrow solely for that, we have a meeting at the hotel tomorrow and I will join via facetime. if I turn positive tomorrow, I have to let them know then I will be off for the next 5 days until I retest myself. :tits: is a teacher and her first day of school is this Friday (which is kind of weird, dem DC public schools), she's teaching online this Friday. Once she gets a negative update, she'll continue to teach in person, didn't even get a chance to decorate the classroom.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:22 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm Do ya'll get time off work for the VID? Sucks that you got it on the trip. But that seems super common nowadays.
It's truly :sad:

That being said Im off for tomorrow solely for that, we have a meeting at the hotel tomorrow and I will join via facetime. if I turn positive tomorrow, I have to let them know then I will be off for the next 5 days until I retest myself. :tits: is a teacher and her first day of school is this Friday (which is kind of weird, dem DC public schools), she's teaching online this Friday. Once she gets a negative update, she'll continue to teach in person, didn't even get a chance to decorate the classroom.
sorry about the cold, you will be better in a few days. Chicken noodle soup and rest. Binge a shitty reality show. Wife and I are loving below deck. :like:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Update: Im positive

After all the :alpo: negatives
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:46 pm So things have been kinda :eeyore: since both of us are back.

For one, :tits: ended up getting an slight fever and a terrible sore throat. Just for precautionary purposes, we decided to "look funny" and rock masks in plane and public transport. Until our second flight, her condition was pretty much fluctuating to better, slightly ill, better and repeat. We spent the night in Amstertam and had Indonesian food, which was 5/7. Also booked a canal cruise at 10:15 PM when the sky wasn't fully dark yet.

For me, on my last full day, I ended up sleeping on the living room couch on my parents apartment in the city. Which did not support my spine, though that has never happened to me. So my spine was hurting but not the breaking bone kind cause I didn't scream in pain. It was ongoing until this morning, gradually getting better by applying aleve and tigerbalm. I took it just now just in case.

Unlike going to Turkey from Amsterdam (which we waited almost 6 hours in line for passport check in and metal detectors btw due to staff shortage :rage: ), it was smooth and quick going from amsterdam to our gate back to DC. We woke up early only to chill at a japanese restaurant for nearly 2 hours. That being said, when we landed back on the way to baggage claim, we saw endless luggages in cages, which im assuming they're lost :mindblown:

Once we got on the plane, it feels like the same plane ive been on since I was probably 10-12, and began to show some wear. There was no airflow until takeoff which made :tits: caused some anxiety. Of course one thing she missed in the US the most throughout the whole trip is Central AC, which is pretty much non-existent in Turkey and some other Mediterranean countries, other than hotels and :waxer: houses.

:tits: and I stayed at my place the first night before heading to her apartment in DC.

When we got to her apartment, she and I took tests, both negative. She lent me a couple of self tests just in case. But yesterday morning, she was positive and I tested myself at work restroom, still became negative, but rocked my mask :doe: as much as I don't like wearing it. Having a fever, no smell, and so on. After work to cheer her up, I grabbed some pizza and tea from this tea place in DC. It was a large pie and took the other half home with me. I was double masked for a hot minute. Listened to a past gas donut media podcast in dc rush hour traffic talking about Jeremy Clarkson, heated it up via microwave and have 2 slices. I just got better other than sore throat and if this continues tomorrow, I will take a test first thing in the morning.

:tits: and i are going to FL at end of September, and booked my first Turo rental, Fiat 500 abarth convertible :manuel: , could not pass that up
Dude, where in FL? I have rented a manual 'vert 500 in Miami, it was kind of fun. Later down the line a friend of mine rented the same one, and by that point it was pretty shitboxed out, curious if it's the same car :lolol:

Bummer about the sickness. I am the same way, :tits: will get COVID, I will then feel sick after, but always test negative. To this point, according to the tests, I have never had the 'VID.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:59 am Update: Im positive

Oh, looks like I didn't read far enough down. Godspeed in recovery, :mahman:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:59 am Update: Im positive

Damn. Sorry, dude.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

More time to be spent on DFD since you should isolate and stay home and get all the food you want door dashed !

:fuckyeah:
wap

Fence variance story time.

So we had our first public meeting last night before the Planning Commission. :tits: and I presented our case. I talked about the scope of the project, dimensions. location, style of the fence, etc, and she discussed the reasons we want it; privacy, security, keeping trespassers away from our soon-to-be fire pit, which, in legal terms, we're calling an attractive nuisance. Dirk I'm sure knows the term. Several questions were asked, answers were given, and then they read aloud a letter from that old biddy neighbor lady who I mentioned yesterday in another thread who wrote to the Commission stating she was against allowing us to install the fence because "she'll see it from her front yard" and she'd only be in favor of it if we replace the whole length of chain link fence separating our BACK yards, which is NOT in the scope of this project. :yeahok: She also wrote that this chain link fence was in poor condition, falling down, and included pictures in her letter. :wtf: She was sitting in the audience when we got there but we didn't talk to her. We were just shaking our heads at that point. I immediately disputed the allegation that the fence was in poor repair and unstable. The damn thing is probably 50 years old, heavy gauge and super solid. It might need a paint job, but it definitely ain't falling down. Anyway, the village planner dude that had been helping me along in this process pointed out that the chain link fence is not part of the discussion and is irrelevant to their decision on the fence we want to put in. So the 7 voting members of the Commission then took a straw poll and voted 5-2 yes to recommend approval to the Village Board. A bit more discussion ensued before they took their formal vote and the final vote was 6-1 in favor. Next step is a meeting of the Committee of the Whole ( :wtf: ) next month, where the Village Board will hold its first discussion on the matter. They will then take a vote. If it's a unanimous yes, it will be automatically approved at yet another Village Board meeting later in the month. If it's not unanimous, it will get discussed yet again at that later meeting and it will be voted on again, for the last time. :ayfkm:

But get this. After our presentation wrapped up, the Committee opened the discussion to public comment (there are always some citizens to attend these things, mostly retirees, etc) but no one had anything to say so they moved on to the next matter on their agenda about someone who bought some lots for business development or something. Then there was some general public discussion about yet another matter. At this point, that old biddy got up to talk and circled back to our topic, like a half hour after we had moved on, and basically repeated the content of her letter, stating again that she was not in favor of our request to run chain link down our shared property line, to which the village planner dude pointed out that we were, in fact, NOT installing chain link, but new, open fencing, etc. The bitch had her moment to talk during our presentation and didn't, but she got up when the discussion moved on to something different. My dude told her that he'd call her tomorrow to explain what we're actually proposing, but when the meeting ended the sow went up to the dais to get her explanation.

Wife and I are livid. This is a woman who, for the past 24 years, I've shoveled her snow every winter just to be neighborly. And once, several years ago, out of the blue she drops by (and we HATE the unannounced drop-by. You want to come over, CALL first) to announce that our back yard fence (again with the fence thing) was actually 6 inches on her property line and wanted us to buy that narrow strip of land from her! Fortunately I had our Platt of Survey handy and showed her that she was full of shit as it showed that it was clearly on our side of the property line. :gtfo:
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:05 pm More time to be spent on DFD since you should isolate and stay home and get all the food you want door dashed !

:fuckyeah:
:notbad:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

wap wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:33 pm Fence variance story time.

So we had our first public meeting last night before the Planning Commission. :tits: and I presented our case. I talked about the scope of the project, dimensions. location, style of the fence, etc, and she discussed the reasons we want it; privacy, security, keeping trespassers away from our soon-to-be fire pit, which, in legal terms, we're calling an attractive nuisance. Dirk I'm sure knows the term. Several questions were asked, answers were given, and then they read aloud a letter from that old biddy neighbor lady who I mentioned yesterday in another thread who wrote to the Commission stating she was against allowing us to install the fence because "she'll see it from her front yard" and she'd only be in favor of it if we replace the whole length of chain link fence separating our BACK yards, which is NOT in the scope of this project. :yeahok: She also wrote that this chain link fence was in poor condition, falling down, and included pictures in her letter. :wtf: She was sitting in the audience when we got there but we didn't talk to her. We were just shaking our heads at that point. I immediately disputed the allegation that the fence was in poor repair and unstable. The damn thing is probably 50 years old, heavy gauge and super solid. It might need a paint job, but it definitely ain't falling down. Anyway, the village planner dude that had been helping me along in this process pointed out that the chain link fence is not part of the discussion and is irrelevant to their decision on the fence we want to put in. So the 7 voting members of the Commission then took a straw poll and voted 5-2 yes to recommend approval to the Village Board. A bit more discussion ensued before they took their formal vote and the final vote was 6-1 in favor. Next step is a meeting of the Committee of the Whole ( :wtf: ) next month, where the Village Board will hold its first discussion on the matter. They will then take a vote. If it's a unanimous yes, it will be automatically approved at yet another Village Board meeting later in the month. If it's not unanimous, it will get discussed yet again at that later meeting and it will be voted on again, for the last time. :ayfkm:

But get this. After our presentation wrapped up, the Committee opened the discussion to public comment (there are always some citizens to attend these things, mostly retirees, etc) but no one had anything to say so they moved on to the next matter on their agenda about someone who bought some lots for business development or something. Then there was some general public discussion about yet another matter. At this point, that old biddy got up to talk and circled back to our topic, like a half hour after we had moved on, and basically repeated the content of her letter, stating again that she was not in favor of our request to run chain link down our shared property line, to which the village planner dude pointed out that we were, in fact, NOT installing chain link, but new, open fencing, etc. The bitch had her moment to talk during our presentation and didn't, but she got up when the discussion moved on to something different. My dude told her that he'd call her tomorrow to explain what we're actually proposing, but when the meeting ended the sow went up to the dais to get her explanation.

Wife and I are livid. This is a woman who, for the past 24 years, I've shoveled her snow every winter just to be neighborly. And once, several years ago, out of the blue she drops by (and we HATE the unannounced drop-by. You want to come over, CALL first) to announce that our back yard fence (again with the fence thing) was actually 6 inches on her property line and wanted us to buy that narrow strip of land from her! Fortunately I had our Platt of Survey handy and showed her that she was full of shit as it showed that it was clearly on our side of the property line. :gtfo:
Time to shovel your snow into her yard and call it a day
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
golftdibrad1
Drives: on used bald tires

this whole story is why less government is better.

Stop being nice and shoveling her snow.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

I don't know why... but I am :triggered: every time I read this... the level of red tape and over reach is second to nothing I have ever heard.

I would literally do shit with no fucks given. What are the repercussions?! Take em to REAL court after to see if there is legality behind any of this. It would be a savings of time at this point. My hood had some sort of thing like this also... some of the residents took the "community" to court and won. Now no one can do shit about putting up fences etc.

I called the county the only LEGAL entity who can actually "enforce" this type of thing... Found out the specs... and put up a fence. Some of my old neighbors stopped by and bitched... and others took pics, and some wanted to see who did the work because they wanted to do the same.

And :aintcare: fuck these cucks. Insanity
:rage: rant over
wap

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:37 pm

Time to shovel your snow into her yard and call it a day
:dat:
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:52 pm

I don't know why... but I am :triggered: every time I read this... the level of red tape and over reach is second to nothing I have ever heard.

I would literally do shit with no fucks given. What are the repercussions?! Take em to REAL court after to see if there is legality behind any of this. It would be a savings of time at this point. My hood had some sort of thing like this also... some of the residents took the "community" to court and won. Now no one can do shit about putting up fences etc.

I called the county the only LEGAL entity who can actually "enforce" this type of thing... Found out the specs... and put up a fence. Some of my old neighbors stopped by and bitched... and others took pics, and some wanted to see who did the work because they wanted to do the same.

Yeah man, :iono: I imagine they have authority to force me to remove a fence that doesn't meet code but :iono: exactly how they would :doit: . I'm super :triggered: by the geriatric Karen next door who's giving us grief, :notsure: I have the energy for more :triggerd: against my small town .gov. A year ago, I could have put up whatever fence I wanted (as long as it met height restrictions due to sight line requirements being on a corner, which I am fine with) anywhere I wanted with a simple permit. But something in the last year caused the village to restrict them like this.
Desertbreh

Well that should be enough of that.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:52 pm

Don't move into an HOA in CA then. You will not be pleased. Interesting to see our resident Soviet has a strong Randy Weaver streak.