Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
I think around 1 year.
Correct. Goes back this time next year.
It seems only yesterday you were initially bathed in the glory of the 1SMP.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Correct. Goes back this time next year.
I think he still loves that thing because 0FG motoring through the ruins of what used to be a Metropolis.

That said... I remember him debating whether to keep that bum-truck that was too embarrassing to keep around the areas he now frequents. It was such a right move in the end IMO.

5gs for that old POS was insane money... it was a $500 truck.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, the flavor of today is fix :eeyore: to stock, sell in spring/summer, lease V6 1LE when 1SMP lease pull ahead is available (September) and roll with it for as long as I can until the truck need flares up too far and buy a $10k mid 00's Avalanche from the west.

Dis is exactly what I'd get...color and everything

Still need to drive the 1LE. Dillerlady sold the one she got in already, but she said there's another on the way that I can try out. We'll see.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
I think he still loves that thing because 0FG motoring through the ruins of what used to be a Metropolis.

That said... I remember him debating whether to keep that bum-truck that was too embarrassing to keep around the areas he now frequents. It was such a right move in the end IMO.

Yep, I do still love the 1SMP for all it's ZFG glory. It's only a 2 year lease, so my time with it will be brief. It was absolutely the right move in every way...in fact it's probably one of the only automotive moves I've made that did result in remorse in some way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

The Bum Truck and the Coal Yaris are the true tales of zero or near zero depreciation.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

The Bum Truck and the Coal Yaris are the true tales of zero or near zero depreciation.
I made money on it. Bought it for $3k, put maybe $1k into it. Added 20k miles in a little over 2 years, and sold it for a profit. That was :mindblown:
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
I made money on it. Bought it for $3k, put maybe $1k into it. Added 20k miles in a little over 2 years, and sold it for a profit. That was :mindblown:
Rust Belt Trump Voters love GMT400 Bum Trucks.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote:

Coal Yaris was pretty much a tale of, "I can't believe this happened". But it was mostly luck...

The amazing part of it was... the actual Cash Outlay time spent working on the car vs the cars Cost....

I'd think only an aircooled porsche over the past 5 years would come close.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote:Yea, the flavor of today is fix :eeyore: to stock, sell in spring/summer, lease V6 1LE when 1SMP lease pull ahead is available (September) and roll with it for as long as I can until the truck need flares up too far and buy a $10k mid 00's Avalanche from the west.

Still need to drive the 1LE. Dillerlady sold the one she got in already, but she said there's another on the way that I can try out. We'll see.
Not a bad plan man, buy a truck from the salt-free souf.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: I made money on it. Bought it for $3k, put maybe $1k into it. Added 20k miles in a little over 2 years, and sold it for a profit. That was :mindblown:
Yep. The dude that bought it said it's a classic and his favorite. He specifically wanted one with the transmission mind had, and he went nuts when he saw the condition. No GMT400's are left here rust free.

Honestly, I could make a business out of bringing unwanted GMT400-GMT800 trucks from the west coast to here. The lack of rust makes everyone :jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:
Detroit wrote:Yea, the flavor of today is fix :eeyore: to stock, sell in spring/summer, lease V6 1LE when 1SMP lease pull ahead is available (September) and roll with it for as long as I can until the truck need flares up too far and buy a $10k mid 00's Avalanche from the west.

Not a bad plan man, buy a truck from the salt-free souf.
Correct. Despite the car apocalypse coming, a rust-free south or west truck will hold it's value extremely well up here.
ChrisoftheNorth

And if I find something the vintage of :eeyore: , the poverty won't bother me as much and I have more confidence in a truck than :eeyore: at this point.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote:And if I find something the vintage of :eeyore: , the poverty won't bother me as much and I have more confidence in a truck than :eeyore: at this point.
Yeah, $10k doesn't buy a lot of truck these days.
Will be looking in the 2002-2006 range, w/ 100k miles or more w/ 4WD.
There are examples to be had doe.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote:
wap wrote: Herr WHO??? :notsure: :wtf:
Gustafsen
No, I know who that is I was just :wtf: at why you called me that.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: I made money on it. Bought it for $3k, put maybe $1k into it. Added 20k miles in a little over 2 years, and sold it for a profit. That was :mindblown:
Nah, it is just what they can afford. The second they start making $20-25 an hr at the local machine shop bending metal, they go balls deep on a Diesel Cummins or a Dirty-Max at 60k.
max225

Detroit wrote:And if I find something the vintage of :eeyore: , the poverty won't bother me as much and I have more confidence in a truck than :eeyore: at this point.
A truck of the same vintage is WORLDS more reliable. Especially if the previous owner didn't fuck with it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote:
Yeah, $10k doesn't buy a lot of truck these days.
Will be looking in the 2002-2006 range, w/ 100k miles or more w/ 4WD.
There are examples to be had doe.
Yep, I'm ok with that. Miles don't scare me on a truck if there's some resemblance of records and the truck is clean. Buying from a private party is critical.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
A truck of the same vintage is WORLDS more reliable. Especially if the previous owner didn't fuck with it.
Yep, just gotta search for an un-molested well cared for low owner truck. There's so many out there, I doubt it would be hard to find. And I love the road trip.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
Nah, it is just what they can afford. The second they start making $20-25 an hr at the local machine shop bending metal, they go balls deep on a Diesel Cummins or a Dirty-Max at 60k.
Nah man...they're CLASSICS now to these people. No joke, the dude repainted my truck and only drives it on nice days. It's his "show truck" whatever that means.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
Nah man...they're CLASSICS now to these people. No joke, the dude repainted my truck and only drives it on nice days. It's his "show truck" whatever that means.
My mind is full of fuck.
max225

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5878886187.html
$1500 on a 4x4 tahoe

Why anyone would spend 3x as much on something 3x less usable is beyond me.

A newer gen tahoe is still FAR less than 5k.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5878022836.html
max225

Detroit wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
No fucking way...

:wtf:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote: Nah man...they're CLASSICS now to these people. No joke, the dude repainted my truck and only drives it on nice days. It's his "show truck" whatever that means.
My mind is full of fuck.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: Nah man...they're CLASSICS now to these people. No joke, the dude repainted my truck and only drives it on nice days. It's his "show truck" whatever that means.
No fucking way...

:wtf:
It's what he texted me in the spring. :iono: I asked for photos, he didn't send any.
ChrisoftheNorth

Maybe he was fucking with me.