2024 plac thread !

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:01 am Got the itch for something I haven't done before and enjoy driving the Jeep with the roof down. Quickly landed on an ND. More quickly landed on an ND2 for the telescopic steering column, and the bonus of higher redline and more power. The Club obviously for the suspension and diff.

Clubs have been moving very quickly, and are priced on the higher end of the market. Missed a couple of cars when I was in Iceland last week, and on Monday missed out on a 2019 soul red/tan leather car for $26.

A 2023 1 owner, clean fax 9k mile Club in Zircon Sand showed up on Carmax this morning in Oklahoma for $30k plus $1k to ship. It's on the higher end of what I wanted to spend, but fuck it - it's the right car.

Nice spec dude! That color is pretty cool. That red RF is hot, the RF is soo good looking but I think the drop top is the way to go. Just that teeny bit more head room plus full open air panoramic driving experience.

:jelly: I miss a 'vert sometimes. I too am mostly done with tracking for now. I love it and will probably do a couple of TNIA per year but that's about it, I have a kid on the way and would rather spend my time away cycling.

86 is better for me as I'm a one car kinda guy, but Miata really is the answer for the most possible fun short of something crazy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:53 am Jeep's been stupidly reliable. 20k miles on it. Rear shocks are a little leaky, that's the only issue I've had and is an easy fix. It's the 2.0 Turbo 4, and although the engine sounds like crap, it's perfectly fine for the wife to drive around town and down the shore. We take it to the bike park and it does 18MPG at 75mph with two bikes on the hitch. Thought about replacing it with the 2024 4xE refresh, but the buyout was $33k and we couldn't get it again in Chief if we wanted to.
We have the 2.0T as well. One passed me while walking my dog and I was simply amazed at how terrible it sounded going by (even though I already knew obviously). I still think it's the better powertrain choice, better MPG and low end powah.

Do you put 93 octane in yours? I'e been rocking 87 since new :notsure:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:31 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:53 am Jeep's been stupidly reliable. 20k miles on it. Rear shocks are a little leaky, that's the only issue I've had and is an easy fix. It's the 2.0 Turbo 4, and although the engine sounds like crap, it's perfectly fine for the wife to drive around town and down the shore. We take it to the bike park and it does 18MPG at 75mph with two bikes on the hitch. Thought about replacing it with the 2024 4xE refresh, but the buyout was $33k and we couldn't get it again in Chief if we wanted to.
We have the 2.0T as well. One passed me while walking my dog and I was simply amazed at how terrible it sounded going by (even though I already knew obviously). I still think it's the better powertrain choice, better MPG and low end powah.

Do you put 93 octane in yours? I'e been rocking 87 since new :notsure:
It's seen nothing better than WaWa's finest, cheapest donkey piss.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Are these engines DI? Or do they have port injection as well ?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

They are. The Skyactiv stuff is high compression DI - something like 14:1 on premium fuel.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:32 pm They are. The Skyactiv stuff is high compression DI - something like 14:1 on premium fuel.
I was asking about the jeeps but, super interesting to hear about the Miata too. That’s a wild compression ratio
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:29 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:01 am Got the itch for something I haven't done before and enjoy driving the Jeep with the roof down. Quickly landed on an ND. More quickly landed on an ND2 for the telescopic steering column, and the bonus of higher redline and more power. The Club obviously for the suspension and diff.

Clubs have been moving very quickly, and are priced on the higher end of the market. Missed a couple of cars when I was in Iceland last week, and on Monday missed out on a 2019 soul red/tan leather car for $26.

A 2023 1 owner, clean fax 9k mile Club in Zircon Sand showed up on Carmax this morning in Oklahoma for $30k plus $1k to ship. It's on the higher end of what I wanted to spend, but fuck it - it's the right car.

Nice spec dude! That color is pretty cool. That red RF is hot, the RF is soo good looking but I think the drop top is the way to go. Just that teeny bit more head room plus full open air panoramic driving experience.

:jelly: I miss a 'vert sometimes. I too am mostly done with tracking for now. I love it and will probably do a couple of TNIA per year but that's about it, I have a kid on the way and would rather spend my time away cycling.

86 is better for me as I'm a one car kinda guy, but Miata really is the answer for the most possible fun short of something crazy.
After sitting in both the RF and the full drop top, I can say with confidence that the RF delivers the convertible experience IMHO.

Your statement about headroom is on the money tho, My head hits the roof slightly in the RF; I'll have to install the seat drop brackets to get that extra 1.5 inches or whatever.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I heard the RF has terrible wind buffeting with the top down though? I've never driven one because I don't fit headroom wise.
golftdibrad1

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:56 am I heard the RF has terrible wind buffeting with the top down though? I've never driven one because I don't fit headroom wise.
I have not driven one yet, but I'll keep this in mind.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:56 am I heard the RF has terrible wind buffeting with the top down though? I've never driven one because I don't fit headroom wise.
I rented one in DFW and drove it on the freeway. I don't remember this but I'm a terrible person to ask about anything NVH, I have the lowest standards possible. I owned a :poorvette: as a DD for seven years NFG.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:26 pm
I rented one in DFW and drove it on the freeway. I don't remember this but I'm a terrible person to ask about anything NVH, I have the lowest standards possible. I owned a :poorvette: as a DD for seven years NFG.
And a tent jeep for 5?
max225

Apples to oranges of course, but I found the "removable" top on the C5 to be completely unusable above 45/50mph... it was way too loud to be in and taller dudes would have your head in the fucking wind 24/7.... Other people simply don't realize/care that it's a thing. So it's a total personal preference.
golftdibrad1

Well I ride motorcycles so there is a high probability I will find any wind issues in my removable roof car to be acceptable. :lol:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:34 pm Apples to oranges of course, but I found the "removable" top on the C5 to be completely unusable above 45/50mph... it was way too loud to be in and taller dudes would have your head in the fucking wind 24/7.... Other people simply don't realize/care that it's a thing. So it's a total personal preference.
Never had an issue with mine, windy sure. IIRC You're taller than me tho. I'm 6'-2"

I always had the windows down with it off, did you keep your windows up?
max225

Melon2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:08 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:34 pm Apples to oranges of course, but I found the "removable" top on the C5 to be completely unusable above 45/50mph... it was way too loud to be in and taller dudes would have your head in the fucking wind 24/7.... Other people simply don't realize/care that it's a thing. So it's a total personal preference.
Never had an issue with mine, windy sure. IIRC You're taller than me tho. I'm 6'-2"

I always had the windows down with it off, did you keep your windows up?
Tried it both ways... just loved it under 50 and hated it above it... it was just loud... I can't fault the car it's more of a personal preference. I did find "real" convertibles to be quiter somehow...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:26 pm

And a tent jeep for 5?
Yep. Tent Jeep does kind of stink on the freeway in steering and noise. I think a Miata with roof up is quieter but it's not the point of either car.

I didn't mind the C5 roof off but if I was doing that at freeway speeds, it was only while alone, ear plugs in, music cranked. Definitely loud AD but that's kinda the point/expected with top off motoring above 45 MPH.

I will say, one of my dad's friends has a ~1960 suicide door Lincoln Continental 'vert. That thing is insane, only 'vert I've ever been in where people in the back seat can just have a normal volume convo with those in the front while driving around, it was astonishingly quiet in there with top/windows down. Wild that that was possible with 1950s engineering and not so today.

Another remarkable thing was the BT in the Fiata I rented. With the head rest speakers, I was able to talk on the phone on the freeways of LA with the top down and the person on the other end had no idea. It was loud for me though obviously.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:22 pm

And a tent jeep for 5?
Yep. Tent Jeep does kind of stink on the freeway in steering and noise. I think a Miata with roof up is quieter but it's not the point of either car.

I didn't mind the C5 roof off but if I was doing that at freeway speeds, it was only while alone, ear plugs in, music cranked. Definitely loud AD but that's kinda the point/expected with top off motoring above 45 MPH.

I will say, one of my dad's friends has a ~1960 suicide door Lincoln Continental 'vert. That thing is insane, only 'vert I've ever been in where people in the back seat can just have a normal volume convo with those in the front while driving around, it was astonishingly quiet in there with top/windows down. Wild that that was possible with 1950s engineering and not so today.

Another remarkable thing was the BT in the Fiata I rented. With the head rest speakers, I was able to talk on the phone on the freeways of LA with the top down and the person on the other end had no idea. It was loud for me though obviously.
That's wild on the BT ! I don't think I have been in a car with functioning BT. I just use airpods. Can't stand talking on the phone through the speakers and yelling at the sky
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:07 pm Good to see that Miata is back to being the answer to the question for most :D
I'll trade it for a GTI when the Prius lease is up, don't worry.
How’s the Prius treating you?
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

And a tent jeep for 5?

I’ve always had a fascination with those early 60s continentals. I’ve always wanted one as my realtor car. Just flex nuts on people. Like I’m infatuated with those cars. They’re like art.

Since I’ve had the Softtop on the wrang, I have noticed it’s super loud. I drove it to folly over Memorial Day weekend and just rocked it the whole way top down. No way Kat could have taken the wind abuse for 200 miles. Chad didn’t seem to mind. Actually cracked my radiator on 26 heading home. Heard a rock hit something and then the smoke. Made it home doe!! Radiator changed out last night! Surprisingly cheap!

I’ve been feeling a little plac lately! Got an offer for the jeep and the bmw unsolicited. Maybe that means I’m doing it just right enough. Not sure what I would want though..
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:53 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:18 pm

I'll trade it for a GTI when the Prius lease is up, don't worry.
Prius has been the perfect appliance and is hands down the best commuter car on the planet... Moderately fun to drive and great quick power with the electric assist when you're merging and changing lanes on the highway.
Lost the ability to charge at work (thanks to shitty coworkers complaining that I was getting $2 of free electricity 5 days a week, even though I offered to pay for it) unfortunately, but I still average about 90-100mpg on my ~100mi round trip commute when I charge at home overnight now I've figured out the best parts of the drive to run it as an EV. 18,000 miles in 9 months and all it's needed is an oil change and a tire rotation. Even as a early car from the first model year, it's been nigh on bulletproof. No tech glitches, wireless CarPlay hasn't crashed even once.

I'll start driving the Miata to work once or twice a week in the summer to offset mileage. I'll happily buy the lease out at the end if it makes sense.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:20 am

I’ve always had a fascination with those early 60s continentals. I’ve always wanted one as my realtor car. Just flex nuts on people. Like I’m infatuated with those cars. They’re like art.

Since I’ve had the Softtop on the wrang, I have noticed it’s super loud. I drove it to folly over Memorial Day weekend and just rocked it the whole way top down. No way Kat could have taken the wind abuse for 200 miles. Chad didn’t seem to mind. Actually cracked my radiator on 26 heading home. Heard a rock hit something and then the smoke. Made it home doe!! Radiator changed out last night! Surprisingly cheap!

I’ve been feeling a little plac lately! Got an offer for the jeep and the bmw unsolicited. Maybe that means I’m doing it just right enough. Not sure what I would want though..
:plac: the Wrangler? I thought you were in love? The BMW is obviously the type of gal you keep around for a bit before you get bored with her. You should get a Corvette again.

Or a Continental. I can't stress enough how wild it is that it was more luxurious than any new convertible I've ever been in.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The SVX windows also made it absolutely awesome with all of them down. You could speak normally to a passenger doing 90mph, and with a light waft of fresh air around your head/neck.

Re: C5 with the roof off I've found it optimal on the highway with the windows like 3/4-7/8 of the way up, but I'm the shortest :poorvette: owner here so. :ohwell:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:55 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:20 am

:plac: the Wrangler? I thought you were in love? The BMW is obviously the type of gal you keep around for a bit before you get bored with her. You should get a Corvette again.

Or a Continental. I can't stress enough how wild it is that it was more luxurious than any new convertible I've ever been in.
A nice RS4 or RS5 cab would be nice. Could throw :doge: in the back seat and have a 8000+ rpm V8 up front.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:30 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:53 pm

Prius has been the perfect appliance and is hands down the best commuter car on the planet... Moderately fun to drive and great quick power with the electric assist when you're merging and changing lanes on the highway.
Lost the ability to charge at work (thanks to shitty coworkers complaining that I was getting $2 of free electricity 5 days a week, even though I offered to pay for it) unfortunately, but I still average about 90-100mpg on my ~100mi round trip commute when I charge at home overnight now I've figured out the best parts of the drive to run it as an EV. 18,000 miles in 9 months and all it's needed is an oil change and a tire rotation. Even as a early car from the first model year, it's been nigh on bulletproof. No tech glitches, wireless CarPlay hasn't crashed even once.

I'll start driving the Miata to work once or twice a week in the summer to offset mileage. I'll happily buy the lease out at the end if it makes sense.
:wtf: Who would even think to complain about that?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:42 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:30 am

:wtf: Who would even think to complain about that?
:fax: