Any electronic gurus here? Double reverse cam setup

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So I've got my reverse cams coming in today, I need to figure out how to route them. I'm doing 2, one in the back like a normal reverse cam and one in the front under the bumper of the Z06 just so I can see how close curbs and shit are when I'm approaching. Just for the hell of it.

So I need a little help with the wiring setup. Reverse cams usually have 2 wires. One for power and one for the RCA connection directly to the receiver. For most setups when the RCA cable sends a signal to the receiver, the receiver over rides anything on the screen to give the back up camera the view. So the camera is normally powered through the reverse lights. When you put it in reverse, the reverse light gets power, which powers on the camera, which then sends a signal thru the RCA cable and the receiver switches to the rear view cam.
So The first issue is getting power to the camera with a switch. That's easy. 12v to it with a single pull single throw (I think).

The issue is here. I need to run power to the switch, and then run a DPDT that's ON-OFF-ON so that I control the cameras via power. I think I've got that figured out. The next problem is that there's only one RCA input on the back of the receiver, so I have to Y them both into it. I THINK I need to put some diodes on the RCA lines to make sure power doesn't run backwards to the camera that's supposed to be off and ruining my view. I don't know what size diodes to run if I need them.
This is all from my google research last night, so I think I'm in the right direction, I just need a little help clarifying stuff.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

If it's video out, what does it matter if they're hooked up how you got it shown?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

What do you mean? What I've got shown is how I think it should work, but I'm not sure if the RCA cables will flow backwards through the Y connection so I need to know if I need to run a diode or something else to prevent it from getting power to the other camera.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

they way you have this set up, the camera that is off might get backfed a signal, but :whocares: ?

I don't think it will damage the unit or affect the quality adversely.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Also, I'd recommend bench testing your setup first. This is cool, in for results
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote:Also, I'd recommend bench testing your setup first. This is cool, in for results
Yeah I plan on maybe doing some simple wiring and using a 9v for power (from what I understand these cameras take a super low amount of draw), and then plug it into my tv inside to see how it acts.
I've got a friend who's got a bit of electronics knowledge that will call me tomorrow to help. I like this kinda stuff, and I don't know a lot but I know enough to know what I don't know and why it possibly wont work.
Acid666

I ran across a post on the corvette forum of a guy that did dual cams but his screen accepted multiple rca inputs.
Took a few notes from his setup. I wanted the front cam just for fun, but he's got his set up to show parking clearances forwards too... Something I may use more than I thought since my garage barely fits the Z. It'll be nice to put a mark on the floor and line up the camera to it so I don't have to check that my garage door will hit my car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:Also, I'd recommend bench testing your setup first. This is cool, in for results

I'd love to put a front cam on my C6
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

How will the dash/receiver know what to show and when?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote:What do you mean? What I've got shown is how I think it should work, but I'm not sure if the RCA cables will flow backwards through the Y connection so I need to know if I need to run a diode or something else to prevent it from getting power to the other camera.
I'm 99% sure that your diagram is fine with no diodes.

Do you already have the head unit bought, though? DDX793 I think has dual camera inputs and all that jazz for not that much from Double D... like $500 all in with bezel mod and one camera.
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

Detroit wrote:How will the dash/receiver know what to show and when?
DPDT switch means that only one camera can transmit a signal at a time, so it will just show whichever camera is currently turned on.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote:So I've got my reverse cams coming in today, I need to figure out how to route them. I'm doing 2, one in the back like a normal reverse cam and one in the front under the bumper of the Z06 just so I can see how close curbs and shit are when I'm approaching. Just for the hell of it.

So I need a little help with the wiring setup. Reverse cams usually have 2 wires. One for power and one for the RCA connection directly to the receiver. For most setups when the RCA cable sends a signal to the receiver, the receiver over rides anything on the screen to give the back up camera the view. So the camera is normally powered through the reverse lights. When you put it in reverse, the reverse light gets power, which powers on the camera, which then sends a signal thru the RCA cable and the receiver switches to the rear view cam.
So The first issue is getting power to the camera with a switch. That's easy. 12v to it with a single pull single throw (I think).

The issue is here. I need to run power to the switch, and then run a DPDT that's ON-OFF-ON so that I control the cameras via power. I think I've got that figured out. The next problem is that there's only one RCA input on the back of the receiver, so I have to Y them both into it. I THINK I need to put some diodes on the RCA lines to make sure power doesn't run backwards to the camera that's supposed to be off and ruining my view. I don't know what size diodes to run if I need them.
This is all from my google research last night, so I think I'm in the right direction, I just need a little help clarifying stuff.

gold chains :poorvette: owners,
:rolleyes:
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

lagunasecaballs wrote:
DPDT switch means that only one camera can transmit a signal at a time, so it will just show whichever camera is currently turned on.

Exactly. This should work for a few reasons.
1) The receiver automatically turns onto camera mode once a camera routed to it has power.
2) With one camera, I'd just need a single switch to power it. Me running the switch will activate it and turn that camera on.
3) Using a double pull double throw switch allows me to have one power source, and power up 1 camera at a time. So the only input that the receiver is getting is from that one camera because technically the other camera wont have power. It's the backflow of them possibly being connected via Y cable that makes me think it could get its own power.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote:
Acid666 wrote:What do you mean? What I've got shown is how I think it should work, but I'm not sure if the RCA cables will flow backwards through the Y connection so I need to know if I need to run a diode or something else to prevent it from getting power to the other camera.
I'm 99% sure that your diagram is fine with no diodes.

Do you already have the head unit bought, though? DDX793 I think has dual camera inputs and all that jazz for not that much from Double D... like $500 all in with bezel mod and one camera.

Yeah the head unit is already in the car. Ole boy put it in before I bought it. It's got a flip screen so it geniously blocks the air vents.
Looking at the manual it looks like it's got one RCA in and it's got a monitor out. I guess so it can run a 2nd monitor besides the screen? I have no use for that though. I'm not about to velcro a small screen to my already fabulous looking interior to have a dedicated reverse/fwd cam setup.

This guy has a really cool/discrete toggle for his
Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

lagunasecaballs wrote:
:iswydt:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Desertbreh wrote:

I'd love to put a front cam on my C6

HEre's what this guy did for his C6 setup. It's nice. Except for that screen that's velcro'd to the left side of his dash. That just screams janky.
I like his rear cam though. It's pretty stealth and blends in really nice
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6- ... ation.html
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: I'm 99% sure that your diagram is fine with no diodes.

Yeah the head unit is already in the car. Ole boy put it in before I bought it. It's got a flip screen so it geniously blocks the air vents.
Looking at the manual it looks like it's got one RCA in and it's got a monitor out. I guess so it can run a 2nd monitor besides the screen? I have no use for that though. I'm not about to velcro a small screen to my already fabulous looking interior to have a dedicated reverse/fwd cam setup.

Monitor out could go to one of those rearview mirror integrated screens too.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Monitor out could go to one of those rearview mirror integrated screens too.

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm not really interested in spending more money on stuff. If I buy a new rearview for something custom it'll have a dash cam in it. But I'm cheap/frugal. These little reverse cams were like, $13 a piece I think. This whole little cam project should cost less than $30 or so with a nice switch and some wires. If the car didn't come with a head unit that's got a 7" screen, I def wouldn't be spending the money to get something with a screen in it.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:
Acid666 wrote:

Monitor out could go to one of those rearview mirror integrated screens too.
I really like those rearview mirror screens. The Saab had one, and it was 5/7.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Monitor out could go to one of those rearview mirror integrated screens too.

Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm not really interested in spending more money on stuff. If I buy a new rearview for something custom it'll have a dash cam in it. But I'm cheap/frugal. These little reverse cams were like, $13 a piece I think. This whole little cam project should cost less than $30 or so with a nice switch and some wires. If the car didn't come with a head unit that's got a 7" screen, I def wouldn't be spending the money to get something with a screen in it.
I wouldn't buy one either, just saying that's the likely purpose of the extra output.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote:
Acid666 wrote:

I wouldn't buy one either, just saying that's the likely purpose of the extra output.

:iswydt:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Makes moar sense meows
Acid666

Cams and my dash cam came in today.
I put it near the rear of the car to see how it'll look. At first I thought it would stick out but I've got a lot of black by the license plate so it should be ok. I'll center it when I install it, I just put it to the side because there's a gap there that lets me shove the screw into the gap so it seats flush with the roof.

Acid666

BAM! I got it. Had to go to a couple of Radio Shacks to find the right switches (the one closest to me was going out of business and didn't have shit left).

Wired up, tested with an LED to make sure the polarity was right. Struggled to find any RCA cables to connect it to a POS tv in the spare bedroom that didn't have an RCA hookup... Figured out which one worked.

Test it out..... Works just like it should. No diodes needed. It didn't backtrack through the wiring with power to the 2nd camera. This was with a 9v battery wired into the switch. So I don't need to deal with multiple power sources or anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaUefQ-0Vx8

Last edited by Acid666 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Hell yes
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

This is ridiculous. I can't get the car to acknowledge the damn cameras. I've tried all sorts of shit but it just ain't working.