OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

wap wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:40 pm At the hospital. Mom had a stroke. Fuck.
Ah shit man. Hope she pulls through alright.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:sad: sorry to hear it man. Parents health falling apart SUCKS. Hoping she pulls through strongly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 pm Grabbed a buddy and cruised an hour east to hit this bbq spot I found in the instagrams. Little food truck set up that’s only open Saturdays from 11:30 until they sell out. We showed up at 11, there were a few people already in line, but we popped into the brewery next door so buddy could grab a beer while we waited. Line quickly grew to like 20 people before he finished, so we had a bit of a wait out in the rain before we could order and get our food, but holy fuck it was worth the drive and wait. I grabbed 1/4lb each of their brisket, pulled pork, and black pepper chicken, then one of their hatch chili and cheddar sausages. Full 5/7. Served with some house pickled veggies, some slices of white bread and their house made bbq sauce. Demolished my food. Brought a 1/4lb of brisket and a side of their mac and cheese back for Michelle.

On top of being great food, the location is cool too. Right off the Columbia river and next to a big waterfront park, so when summer comes and we have nicer weather we’ll make a day trip of it and enjoy some sun and water play with our food.

:nice:

The sausage at BBQ places is typically way underrated.

Went to the Mrs Doubtfire musical with the wife and my mom today. Was actually an amazing show, really enjoyed it.

Had to go to a party at :tits: friend’s house as well, so had a margarita and a couple beers :drunk: :notbad:

Been raining all day so started things out with some weight lifting this morning. Hoping I can do bike things tomorrow if the weather clears.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I don't think she's going to recover much. She's 93 and pretty frail, and I think dementia was starting to set in. She's been ready to go for a while now. We're scheduled to have her evaluated Monday to see what the next step should be. It may be time to move her into hospice. Tomorrow is Easter and we're hosting the family, she was supposed to be there, too.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:39 am Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I don't think she's going to recover much. She's 93 and pretty frail, and I think dementia was starting to set in. She's been ready to go for a while now. We're scheduled to have her evaluated Monday to see what the next step should be. It may be time to move her into hospice. Tomorrow is Easter and we're hosting the family, she was supposed to be there, too.
Damn dude. I’m sorry. Hopefully if it isn’t too overwhelming for her everyone can go see her in the hospital while they’re all gathered together.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

Let me know if I can help in any way. Otherwise go spend the time with your family.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:39 am Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I don't think she's going to recover much. She's 93 and pretty frail, and I think dementia was starting to set in. She's been ready to go for a while now. We're scheduled to have her evaluated Monday to see what the next step should be. It may be time to move her into hospice. Tomorrow is Easter and we're hosting the family, she was supposed to be there, too.
Really sorry to hear that. If there's a bright side, at least the family will all be together to see her, hopefully. Wishing you well.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

In related news, my dad's ordeal with prostate cancer appears to not be over.

He had his prostate removed about 3 years ago, but I found out yesterday that after about 2.5 years of his PSA being zero, it's started to tick up again. It's still incredibly low, but that means the cancer managed to get out of the prostate before removal. He's been to 3 different clinics including the Cleveland Clinic, but they can't say where it is, so he starts radiation in a couple days.

It's going to be a low dose over 39 days and concentrated around where the prostate was, so hopefully the side effects will be minimal. Praying that'll take care of it. Not sure how to feel. He doesn't seem worried, but hearing that your dad's cancer is back isn't easy news to take.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:05 pm In related news, my dad's ordeal with prostate cancer appears to not be over.

He had his prostate removed about 3 years ago, but I found out yesterday that after about 2.5 years of his PSA being zero, it's started to tick up again. It's still incredibly low, but that means the cancer managed to get out of the prostate before removal. He's been to 3 different clinics including the Cleveland Clinic, but they can't say where it is, so he starts radiation in a couple days.

It's going to be a low dose over 39 days and concentrated around where the prostate was, so hopefully the side effects will be minimal. Praying that'll take care of it. Not sure how to feel. He doesn't seem worried, but hearing that your dad's cancer is back isn't easy news to take.
Fuck man. I feel that for sure. It was five years after my mom’s cancer was removed and she was supposed to get the “all clear” that we found out hers was back. Hoping your dad and family have a very different experience than she/we did.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:sad: Sorry to hear about the rough parent news guys. Definitely know how those blows feel, let us know if we can ever do anything to help.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

My neighbors have a small pond thing in their backyard. It attracts frogs. I’ll be jumping the fence when they go out of town to spray antifreeze since it sounds like I live in a swamp…..

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b5lRgh ... mBcF7CXJtA
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm My neighbors have a small pond thing in their backyard. It attracts frogs. I’ll be jumping the fence when they go out of town to spray antifreeze since it sounds like I live in a swamp…..

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b5lRgh ... mBcF7CXJtA
There’s a frog in the storm drain right in front of our house.. been there for about a week now and that motherfucker is loud, especially with the echoing in the drain.
wap

Melon2.0 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:49 pm
Let me know if I can help in any way. Otherwise go spend the time with your family.
That's awfully nice of you brah.
It was a good day today with the family. Tomorrow we're seeing mom and having her evaluated for hospice.
wap

coogles wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:55 pm
Really sorry to hear that. If there's a bright side, at least the family will all be together to see her, hopefully. Wishing you well.
Thanks dood. Appreciate the good wishes from y'all.

I'm pretty much coming to terms with the fact that her remaining time is very limited.
wap

coogles wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:05 pm In related news, my dad's ordeal with prostate cancer appears to not be over.

Shit. good luck to him. Hope it all goes well.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:36 pm That's awfully nice of you brah.
It was a good day today with the family. Tomorrow we're seeing mom and having her evaluated for hospice.
I've been in your shoes, it's not fun. Just spend as much time with her as you can.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

... hearing that your dad's cancer is back isn't easy news to take.
:(
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:sad: I hope its heads to a positive direction. Good luck
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Melon2.0 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:58 pm
wap wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:36 pm That's awfully nice of you brah.

I've been in your shoes, it's not fun. Just spend as much time with her as you can.
I :member: that you went through this some years ago. Saw her this morning along with the hospice nurse for her evaluation. She actually was more alert and responsive than yesterday. She opened her eyes when asked, spoke her full name, the names of me and my brother, and was able to tell the nurse where and when she was born, full day, month, and year. Our hope is to get her back home in a day or 2 and have her get hospice care in her own place for as long as she lasts. We already have a care giver company lined up and we should hear back in the next day or 2 to see if Medicare will cover her hospice care, which we're pretty confident they will. Thank :jesus: for Medicare.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:06 pm
Thanks mang.

Also, Xristos Anesti!
SAWCE

wap wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 pm

I :member: that you went through this some years ago. Saw her this morning along with the hospice nurse for her evaluation. She actually was more alert and responsive than yesterday. She opened her eyes when asked, spoke her full name, the names of me and my brother, and was able to tell the nurse where and when she was born, full day, month, and year. Our hope is to get her back home in a day or 2 and have her get hospice care in her own place for as long as she lasts. We already have a care giver company lined up and we should hear back in the next day or 2 to see if Medicare will cover her hospice care, which we're pretty confident they will. Thank :jesus: for Medicare.
Hospice workers are fucking saints. I hope you get one as good as the woman who was coming to care for my mom in her final days. Just the biggest heart ever.. patient, compassionate, had just the right words of comfort and love, all to someone and their family who she didn’t know at all. I can’t imagine being in that line of work and seeing the heartbreak and devastation that they do, and she did it all with a kindness that is rarely seen in people today.

Glad to hear your mom is doing as well as she is given the circumstances. I hope she has more time than you all expect right now and that she feels all of your love.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:18 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:06 pm

Thanks mang.

Also, Xristos Anesti!
Allithos anesti!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That is amazing to hear!!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:58 am

Hospice workers are fucking saints. I hope you get one as good as the woman who was coming to care for my mom in her final days. Just the biggest heart ever.. patient, compassionate, had just the right words of comfort and love, all to someone and their family who she didn’t know at all. I can’t imagine being in that line of work and seeing the heartbreak and devastation that they do, and she did it all with a kindness that is rarely seen in people today.

Glad to hear your mom is doing as well as she is given the circumstances. I hope she has more time than you all expect right now and that she feels all of your love.
All these nursing people are saints IMO. I've been very grateful for all who have helped with my dad, a few are meh, but most are so caring and generous, all for pretty meager wages and way harder work than most jobs. I try to remember that when I'm bitching/annoyed at work.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:58 am

They really are. All nurses are, really. At least every one I've encountered, whether they were caring for me with my surgery or for my mom. So under rated and under paid. Glad you had a good one for your mom, I'm hopeful we'll have similar luck since the company owner is a personal friend of my MIL.

Thanks again for your kind words.