General Economic chit chat/updates.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I don’t know that taking money from people who saved is an answer though. It would be a bit too much regulation for my tastes but limiting the number of homes people/companies can own and not selling our houses to non citizens would maybe be a help for prices. Like not having Chinese corporations and government buying property in NA seems beneficial to all but the Chinese corporations and government.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm I don’t know that taking money from people who saved is an answer though. It would be a bit too much regulation for my tastes but limiting the number of homes people/companies can own and not selling our houses to non citizens would maybe be a help for prices. Like not having Chinese corporations and government buying property in NA seems beneficial to all but the Chinese corporations and government.
I said tax them at the same rate you’re taxing younger generations (where they are currently getting huge tax breaks) since they can afford it and let the younger generations get a break since they clearly can’t keep up with the current cost structure. Vs letting the olds reap all the benefits of simply being “born” in a different year.

Another example, why can’t a 30 year old dude get a major 401k contribution to reduce his taxes. Vs a 50 year old who gets that enormous benefit while being in a higher wealth and tax bracket
max225

Another example a boomer born in 1960 and retiring in 2025 is slated to receive $2885 in social security ... me at the same age in 26 years is slated to receive $3800.
I will be getting about 34% more than the boomer. The buying power of a $1000 26 years ago... is $1925 today. Meaning in order for me to receive the SAME buying power in social security I'd need $5553 in 2051. Yet here we are... another enormous shortfall... I am taxed every year on this shit and yet I am NOT getting the same benefit.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:48 pm Another example a boomer born in 1960 and retiring in 2025 is slated to receive $2885 in social security ... me at the same age in 26 years is slated to receive $3800.
I will be getting about 34% more than the boomer. The buying power of a $1000 26 years ago... is $1925 today. Meaning in order for me to receive the SAME buying power in social security I'd need $5553 in 2051. Yet here we are... another enormous shortfall... I am taxed every year on this shit and yet I am NOT getting the same benefit.
I wish I could opt out FDRs failed experiment of social security!

The governshit shouldn’t be forcing you into a savings/retirement account they mismanage for you. It’s fucking bullshit.

Looks like to change it, I’m going to have to run!

Howard 2028.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:09 pm Anecdote of one I know… But my parents have yet to have a paid off home and they’ve had two houses, the first was sold. They did rent it out to my sister for a long time on the cheap because she had a kid in high school and life didn’t go so great. Now she had to move to bumfuck to afford rent because my parents had to sell the house to afford retirement.

I don’t really feel like having a mortgage payment at 40 is out of the norm, I would bet most people’s parents on here were also paying house notes throughout kid raising.
You think? Max's philosophy is that sometime in the "olden days" people got wonderful jobs at age 25, then took a 15? :gtfo: That is quite the optimistic view of American finances. Where are the Trans Ams? Where are the Jet Skis? Where are the divorces?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:11 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:48 pm Another example a boomer born in 1960 and retiring in 2025 is slated to receive $2885 in social security ... me at the same age in 26 years is slated to receive $3800.

The governshit shouldn’t be forcing you into a savings/retirement account they mismanage for you. It’s fucking bullshit.

Howard 2028.
:dat: I would willingly write off everything I’ve paid so far if I could just opt out now. It’s tricky though as certain dumb asses kinda should be forced into it. But they will be living on the taxpayers dime either way as olds, so still may as well just abolish.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:09 pm Anecdote of one I know… But my parents have yet to have a paid off home and they’ve had two houses, the first was sold. They did rent it out to my sister for a long time on the cheap because she had a kid in high school and life didn’t go so great. Now she had to move to bumfuck to afford rent because my parents had to sell the house to afford retirement.

I don’t really feel like having a mortgage payment at 40 is out of the norm, I would bet most people’s parents on here were also paying house notes throughout kid raising.
You think? Max's philosophy is that sometime in the "olden days" people got wonderful jobs at age 25, then took a 15? :gtfo: That is quite the optimistic view of American finances. Where are the Trans Ams? Where are the Jet Skis? Where are the divorces?
If you were a fuck up marrying some floozy that took a trans am in the divorce. You still had time to rebound. In today’s land you don’t get to own a home until grandma who hopefully wasn’t a fuckup ends up gifting it to you when you’re 45 and she finally croaks and doesn’t favor another grandchild more.

Otherwise you’re sharing an apartment owned by lovely corporate overlords who try and take you for all that you have left
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 pm I don’t know that taking money from people who saved is an answer though. It would be a bit too much regulation for my tastes but limiting the number of homes people/companies can own and not selling our houses to non citizens would maybe be a help for prices. Like not having Chinese corporations and government buying property in NA seems beneficial to all but the Chinese corporations and government.
This right here. Get foreign corporations out of owning single family homes and renting them out. Get rid of tax incentives that are intended for individuals to get into a home from being used by corporations. Get rid of tax incentives for individuals on 2nd and subsequent homes. In other words help people into a single property, and to max point if you are rich enough for a 2nd home pay full kitty for it on property taxes and what not.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:11 pm

Howard 2028.
Bold: This.

I really wish we could get someone with some common fucking sense into the WH. or someone like this guy
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:26 am
This right here. Get foreign corporations out of owning single family homes and renting them out. Get rid of tax incentives that are intended for individuals to get into a home from being used by corporations. Get rid of tax incentives for individuals on 2nd and subsequent homes. In other words help people into a single property, and to max point if you are rich enough for a 2nd home pay full kitty for it on property taxes and what not.
Is that a big thing in your area (foreign corps) for SFH?
Nearly half a million homes is a big number on its face. It’s more than the total number of homes in San Francisco. But compared to the housing stock as a whole, it’s less than half a percent. Even looking at just single-family rentals, the vast majority of which are owned by small and medium-sized landlords, the Urban Institute’s “large institutional” share makes up around 3%.
This doesn't seem like much
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:56 am

Is that a big thing in your area (foreign corps) for SFH?
Nearly half a million homes is a big number on its face. It’s more than the total number of homes in San Francisco. But compared to the housing stock as a whole, it’s less than half a percent. Even looking at just single-family rentals, the vast majority of which are owned by small and medium-sized landlords, the Urban Institute’s “large institutional” share makes up around 3%.
This doesn't seem like much
no, but it is a small slice now, but its growth has been explosive in terms of year on year gain. It needs to stop/ end.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If you and I agree... we should be able to get bipartisan support :lolol:

Every little bit helps, 0.5% or 3% still opens up a lot of homes for normals.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

D Griff wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:34 pm

system is fucked tho. we cant even get MJ descheduled with 70%+ public support
Desertbreh

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:34 pm

That is a result of the same geritocracy Max is complaining about. Old people hate dopers.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:19 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:52 pm

That is a result of the same geritocracy Max is complaining about. Old people hate dopers.
:notwrong: :butwhy:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:19 pm That is a result of the same geritocracy Max is complaining about. Old people hate dopers.
Boomers played the hand they were dealt. They just had a much better hand from the start than millennials did.

Carlin nails it tho.
Desertbreh

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:00 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:19 pm

:notwrong: :butwhy:
Beats me. My dad was born in 1934, so not a boomer. He was an alcoholic (reformed at some juncture, to his credit) but man that devil's lettuce was the root of all evil. Substance that makes you angry and want to fight people? That's John Wayne shit right there. Substance that makes you want to chill out? Lazy, welfare taking, hippie bum stuff.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon2.0 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:19 pm That is a result of the same geritocracy Max is complaining about. Old people hate dopers.
Boomers played the hand they were dealt. They just had a much better hand from the start than millennials did.

Carlin nails it tho.
I fucking LOVE him.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:11 pm Beats me. My dad was born in 1934, so not a boomer. He was an alcoholic (reformed at some juncture, to his credit) but man that devil's lettuce was the root of all evil. Substance that makes you angry and want to fight people? That's John Wayne shit right there. Substance that makes you want to chill out? Lazy, welfare taking, hippie bum stuff.
Product of the times. :iono:
Desertbreh

Melon2.0 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:11 pm Beats me. My dad was born in 1934, so not a boomer. He was an alcoholic (reformed at some juncture, to his credit) but man that devil's lettuce was the root of all evil. Substance that makes you angry and want to fight people? That's John Wayne shit right there. Substance that makes you want to chill out? Lazy, welfare taking, hippie bum stuff.
Product of the times. :iono:
These are the voters nixing legalization is all I'm saying. He died in 2017 though, and eventually times will change. I don't use the stuff myself but it's just not something that ought to be policed.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm These are the voters nixing legalization is all I'm saying. He died in 2017 though, and eventually times will change. I don't use the stuff myself but it's just not something that ought to be policed.
Absolutely, I understand the context of the time period they were raised in and the anti-marijuana propaganda they were exposed to.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I almost never participate in weed, but if I do, the illegality kind of adds to the fun IMO.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

What did I just walk into with this thread???
Desertbreh

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm What did I just walk into with this thread???
:nevermind:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

MrH42 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:17 pm What did I just walk into with this thread???
You're a towel