Sawce's Toy Car

Strut your greasy stuff!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

While there are a handful of other things I should do prior to this, I’ve been looking up different head units to swap in and get Bluetooth functionality. Michelle’s Mazda has wired Apple CarPlay, and it’s definitely nice to have. This won’t ever be a road trip car, and I know my way around to the places I tend to go, so nav isn’t necessary, but I’m debating adding a unit like this with a screen to get that feature.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXF50 ... ml?tp=5684

There are some Boss and Jensen units that are more in the $300-400 range, but this one looks best to me, and the bottom of the screen is level with the bottom of the unit so it won’t cover any HVAC controls. There is enough of a gap above the head unit and the speedo that I don’t think I’d lose visibility of any of those indicator lights. With an 8-9” screen.

But, I think it would look out of place, and I question my need for it based on my usage of the car. So alternatively, I’ve been looking at some retro looking units like this that would maintain a stock-ish look and just give me the Bluetooth audio streaming I want.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068GRANM2 ... ml?tp=5684

Any strong arguments one way or the other? Any other suggestions?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:12 pm I need to wash my car sometime :lolol:
Mine hasn't been washed for 2 months.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 pm While there are a handful of other things I should do prior to this, I’ve been looking up different head units to swap in and get Bluetooth functionality. Michelle’s Mazda has wired Apple CarPlay, and it’s definitely nice to have. This won’t ever be a road trip car, and I know my way around to the places I tend to go, so nav isn’t necessary, but I’m debating adding a unit like this with a screen to get that feature.

There are some Boss and Jensen units that are more in the $300-400 range, but this one looks best to me, and the bottom of the screen is level with the bottom of the unit so it won’t cover any HVAC controls. There is enough of a gap above the head unit and the speedo that I don’t think I’d lose visibility of any of those indicator lights. With an 8-9” screen.

But, I think it would look out of place, and I question my need for it based on my usage of the car. So alternatively, I’ve been looking at some retro looking units like this that would maintain a stock-ish look and just give me the Bluetooth audio streaming I want.

I like the CarPlay look better with the touchscreen. However, if you don’t drive or use it that much, that touchscreen unit is a bit expensive. Do they make one that replaces the center oval while still keeping an option for speed display? That would be kinda cool.

I would look at a smaller screen and/or cheaper CarPlay option and use the extra money to upgrade the speakers.

I added CarPlay and speaker upgrade to my TJ, costs around $1100. Although the TJ probably has cheaper aftermarket upgrades. But the speaker quality to me was important because I listen to music a lot, and of course talk on the phone all day.

I like the look of that screen personally. The oem looking Bluetooth one kinda reminds me of an alpine unit I had in an s10 when I was in college. Very 2007! I don’t think it looks Sawcey enough.
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:55 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:49 pm While there are a handful of other things I should do prior to this, I’ve been looking up different head units to swap in and get Bluetooth functionality. Michelle’s Mazda has wired Apple CarPlay, and it’s definitely nice to have. This won’t ever be a road trip car, and I know my way around to the places I tend to go, so nav isn’t necessary, but I’m debating adding a unit like this with a screen to get that feature.

I like the CarPlay look better with the touchscreen. However, if you don’t drive or use it that much, that touchscreen unit is a bit expensive. Do they make one that replaces the center oval while still keeping an option for speed display? That would be kinda cool.

I would look at a smaller screen and/or cheaper CarPlay option and use the extra money to upgrade the speakers.

I added CarPlay and speaker upgrade to my TJ, costs around $1100. Although the TJ probably has cheaper aftermarket upgrades. But the speaker quality to me was important because I listen to music a lot, and of course talk on the phone all day.

I like the look of that screen personally. The oem looking Bluetooth one kinda reminds me of an alpine unit I had in an s10 when I was in college. Very 2007! I don’t think it looks Sawcey enough.
They do actually have something like that, but the speedometer is only in km/h :lol: I’ll have to find a link to it.

I did find a single din unit that just has the CarPlay screen as its front, so very small screen. Those touch screen buttons would be nice for convenience for sure.

And yeah, there are cheaper Car Play units available for sure.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:55 am

They do actually have something like that, but the speedometer is only in km/h :lol: I’ll have to find a link to it.

I did find a single din unit that just has the CarPlay screen as its front, so very small screen. Those touch screen buttons would be nice for convenience for sure.

I feel like the touchscreen is the way to go in a Manual. Less fucking around with your phone and keeps your eyes up if you do hit something button wise.

That center circle replacement would look sick.
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:19 am

I feel like the touchscreen is the way to go in a Manual. Less fucking around with your phone and keeps your eyes up if you do hit something button wise.

Solid assessment on not having to look down at or fuck with phone, and hand can move seamlessly between touchscreen and :manuel:

https://www.iceboxauto.com/bmw-mini-coo ... -120-3680a
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 am

Solid assessment on not having to look down at or fuck with phone, and hand can move seamlessly between touchscreen and :manuel:

Yea, I have first hand with this comparison. I have CarPlay in the jeep and it’s so much more seamless than my experience in the bimmer. I usually drop a GD every time I drive the 3 because I’m fuckin with my phone.

I had an audio guy advise me against wireless apple CarPlay in the aftermarket stuff. Says he has had customers with a lot of problems with it.

I kinda dig the center display replacement, this one looks more oval, maybe it’s the air vents moving that’s throwing me off. I really like the look of the circles in the minis.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 am

Yea, I have first hand with this comparison. I have CarPlay in the jeep and it’s so much more seamless than my experience in the bimmer. I usually drop a GD every time I drive the 3 because I’m fuckin with my phone.

I had an audio guy advise me against wireless apple CarPlay in the aftermarket stuff. Says he has had customers with a lot of problems with it.

I kinda dig the center display replacement, this one looks more oval, maybe it’s the air vents moving that’s throwing me off. I really like the look of the circles in the minis.
Wireless CarPlay kind of blows ass in general, I've used it in many rentals from different manufacturers and plugging in is just better at this time.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 am

Wireless CarPlay kind of blows ass in general, I've used it in many rentals from different manufacturers and plugging in is just better at this time.
My accord is weird on that. Mine is the wireless and sometimes I put my phone on charger, but half the time when I take the charger off, the CarPlay just shuts. With Honda at least, both wifi and bluetooth has to be on, trying to connect bluetooth, select phone, and select boxes for options, whether it's music, phone, apple car play; check acp and eventually it gets back to life.

Also with turo m440i rental, it randomly shut off on me and gets back on in about a minute. Only a few times knock on wood. Otherwise good.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm

My accord is weird on that. Mine is the wireless and sometimes I put my phone on charger, but half the time when I take the charger off, the CarPlay just shuts. With Honda at least, both wifi and bluetooth has to be on, trying to connect bluetooth, select phone, and select boxes for options, whether it's music, phone, apple car play; check acp and eventually it gets back to life.

Also with turo m440i rental, it randomly shut off on me and gets back on in about a minute. Only a few times knock on wood. Otherwise good.
They are all kind of like that with wireless and even if it’s wired if the car has wireless and you’ve set it up before. Wired only just works flawlessly 95+% of the time.
Desertbreh

The wireless Car Play on the 440i is surprisingly dead reliable.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

I would probably opt for wired CarPlay as I usually plug my phone in to charge while I drive anyways and wouldn’t want some wireless shit draining my battery like I’ve heard CarPlay tends to do.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 pm The wireless Car Play on the 440i is surprisingly dead reliable.
That is remarkable, especially considering it’s a 2017 or so? :impressive:
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 pm The wireless Car Play on the 440i is surprisingly dead reliable.
The beemer has been a great car.......I mean, I take care of it and it only has 48K on it, but pretty much its been perfect.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 pm

The beemer has been a great car.......I mean, I take care of it and it only has 48K on it, but pretty much its been perfect.
We need a silver bullet vs poopoo projectile comparison
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

They are great cars just up to 100k miles. And then the bmw part costs total them
SAWCE

First tracked tank of fuel.. 10.982 gallons over 284 miles. 25.9mpg. Not terrible considering I’ve still been having some fun getting on the throttle and hearing the supercharger whine. Currently paying $4.70/gal for 93 octane premium at Costco.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Hard to worry about fuel costs when you don't have a car payment and you're having fun.
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm Hard to worry about fuel costs when you don't have a car payment and you're having fun.
Yup.. $50 every 2-3 weeks ain’t no thang.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I found mine impressive too, except its the pre-lci, so no touch screen (as I got used to the accord), I've gotten a good hang of it with idrive though, also bigger screen. So when I went back to the accord, it felt poverty in comparison.

I remember when I had my 2004 Acura and my mom had the f10 at the time (shortly before I joined the mk6 with y'all), after driving the f10 and went back to my tsx, even though it isn't really shit to drive, it does make the car feel like a POS. I've gotten that impression just recently too.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:12 pm Hard to worry about fuel costs when you don't have a car payment and you're having fun.
I remember when I had a paid off GTI months before covid, it was nice. I should've never sold it because I didn't wanna pay $400 for 6 months for insurance cause I was away in Erdoganland.
Desertbreh

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 pm

The build quality on any E Class is going to be a world away from a BMW 3/4 Series. They are just better cars. But the Bimmmer has been great so far. At then end of the month I will do a major service on it.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:52 pm

The build quality on any E Class is going to be a world away from a BMW 3/4 Series. They are just better cars. But the Bimmmer has been great so far. At then end of the month I will do a major service on it.
The way the doors shut on the silver bullet was divine. Vault. Bmws sound like disgusting tincans in comparison.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:48 pm

The way the doors shut on the silver bullet was divine. Vault. Bmws sound like disgusting tincans in comparison.
Mini’s don’t sound great tbh
max225

SAWCE wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 pm

Mini’s don’t sound great tbh
It’s the frameless windows