Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:17 pm I am looking at the C7Z for the same reason that Gberg got a manual M3. Last chance for a high horsepower manual car. It's not practical (except the hatch, which is amazingly practical as any corvette owner knows) it sucks gas, it doesn't "put down the power," and to further compound things they appear to be owned mainly by boomers who "know what they have."
I think you are right that the overheating problems are on the track but it’s still kind of gives me pause considering the car was built for the track.

That said, it is a sweet car, and if it tickles your fancy and prices get into a reasonable realm, I’d say go for it.
I think the dealo is that they "fixed it" in 2017 but I have not researched it. LG also offered some epic triple radiator kit or some such. I'm mostly offering it as my contribution to content today because by and large prices are not terribly reasonable. And the almost 95% selection of crappy colors was not inspiring. Anyhoo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:56 pm

I think you are right that the overheating problems are on the track but it’s still kind of gives me pause considering the car was built for the track.

That said, it is a sweet car, and if it tickles your fancy and prices get into a reasonable realm, I’d say go for it.
I think the dealo is that they "fixed it" in 2017 but I have not researched it. LG also offered some epic triple radiator kit or some such. I'm mostly offering it as my contribution to content today because by and large prices are not terribly reasonable. And the almost 95% selection of crappy colors was not inspiring. Anyhoo.
I think I’d actually get red if I ever get a Corvette again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I do miss my Corvette some, the only car I think about longingly that I’ve had.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:01 pm

I love the Long Beach Red. Torch Red is nah. I really like the BlackRose purpleish color but those are rare.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Would you take a bloo one from MD? 3rdgenfan can pick it up for you
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:01 pm

Love Magnetic Red C5s

Desertbreh

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:37 pm

Would you take a bloo one from MD? 3rdgenfan can pick it up for you
I'm not buying atm, just stirring up discussion.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Not buying at this moment, but ready to buy at any moment :mahman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 pm Not buying at this moment, but ready to buy at any moment :mahman:
:yesth: :plac:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 am So I’m making a list of sports cars that would be within each price bracket that are decent …

1. GR86 (30-40k)
2. Miata (30-40k)
3. Type R Shitvic (40-50k)
4. GT premium (50k)
5. M2 (60-70k)
6. C8 (70-80k)
7. M3 (75-85k)
8. F pace (78-84k)
9. Emira (90-110k)
10. Cayman GTS 4.0 (100-120k)
11. Carrera T (130-140k)

I ran the ownership numbers too … cheapest is GR86 (duh) at $793 a month Carrera T is $2230 a month. They are all fairly low depreciation but the cost of entry etc all really add up.

What am I missing ? New only. I omitted the cockster gayman. I also capped options at those that make sense not leather dashes and carbon fiber mirror caps for $5k
Back to this ol' thing. I am pretty sure I am somewhat narrowed in on either M2/3 or Hype R. But I got to get something I am actually committed to driving.

I unfortunately or fortunately ? only drove the Truck 300 miles since the last oil change the dealer fucked up back in september... Matter of fact the battery was getting weak and I purchased a battery charger in order to keep it functioning... Full CUCK life.

This is one of the main reason I keep recommending "other" cars to those expecting to breed if you already have one capable of snot transport. You really don't need 2 cars that carry the CF since that's all you'll be doing... and it's a bitch using multiple vehicles for that purpose. So ... having a "fun" other car is nice... but it is still extremely CUCKY because you can't do SHIT for yourself once the dependent is in your life and the low miles on my other car/truck are a testiment to that.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:48 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 am So I’m making a list of sports cars that would be within each price bracket that are decent …

1. GR86 (30-40k)
2. Miata (30-40k)
4. GT premium (50k)
5. M2 (60-70k)
6. C8 (70-80k)
7. M3 (75-85k)
8. F pace (78-84k)
9. Emira (90-110k)
11. Carrera T (130-140k)

I ran the ownership numbers too … cheapest is GR86 (duh) at $793 a month Carrera T is $2230 a month. They are all fairly low depreciation but the cost of entry etc all really add up.

What am I missing ? New only. I omitted the cockster gayman. I also capped options at those that make sense not leather dashes and carbon fiber mirror caps for $5k
Back to this ol' thing. I am pretty sure I am somewhat narrowed in on either M2/3 or Hype R. But I got to get something I am actually committed to driving.

I unfortunately or fortunately ? only drove the Truck 300 miles since the last oil change the dealer fucked up back in september... Matter of fact the battery was getting weak and I purchased a battery charger in order to keep it functioning... Full CUCK life.

This is one of the main reason I keep recommending "other" cars to those expecting to breed if you already have one capable of snot transport. You really don't need 2 cars that carry the CF since that's all you'll be doing... and it's a bitch using multiple vehicles for that purpose. So ... having a "fun" other car is nice... but it is still extremely CUCKY because you can't do SHIT for yourself once the dependent is in your life and the low miles on my other car/truck are a testiment to that.
Captain Ramius out doing Crazy Ivans in the Red Cucktober.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

1. GR86 (30-40k)
2. Miata (30-40k)
4. GT premium (50k)
5. M2 (60-70k)
6. C8 (70-80k)
7. M3 (75-85k)
8. F pace (78-84k)
9. Emira (90-110k)
11. Carrera T (130-140k)

I think you might be the only person in the world to purchase a battery tender for a tacoma.

If that's not a sign to :nuke: it, I don't know what is.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:09 pm

I think you might be the only person in the world to purchase a battery tender for a tacoma.

If that's not a sign to :nuke: it, I don't know what is.
Yea … kind of my point … :( I don’t necessarily want to do it because of how “collectible” it is… but I’m also not using it … cuck life
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

1. GR86 (30-40k)
2. Miata (30-40k)
4. GT premium (50k)
5. M2 (60-70k)
6. C8 (70-80k)
7. M3 (75-85k)
8. F pace (78-84k)
9. Emira (90-110k)
11. Carrera T (130-140k)

You drove the truck 300 miles in 6 months, and you're looking to add a 3rd vehicle....?

:wat:
Desertbreh

MrH42 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:22 pm

You drove the truck 300 miles in 6 months, and you're looking to add a 3rd vehicle....?

:fuckyeah:
max225

Replace it with something more fun that I’d drive more
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:52 pm

Replace it with something more fun that I’d drive more
The clear answer is either CTR/ITS or M3. It just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

Go put out some feelers to honduh :dillerman: and see if they're still playing games.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Car talk:

This country is not even close to ready to go full electric on cars, esp for long range travel. I hope these people made it home eventually. Hard to see in video but line was wrapped around the station and into the street behind.

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:50 pm Car talk:

This country is not even close to ready to go full electric on cars, esp for long range travel. I hope these people made it home eventually. Hard to see in video but line was wrapped around the station and into the street behind.

Ew public charging. I have now put over 10k miles on 6 different evs. No issues here. But yea “California” is not America. Even though more Americans are Californian than any other state
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:26 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:50 pm Car talk:

Ew public charging. I have now put over 10k miles on 6 different evs. No issues here. But yea “California” is not America. Even though more Americans are Californian than any other state
Hey look man home charging is great, and I agree things are pretty good in USA for 1 car of a 2 car house to be electric. But the infrastructure for road trips is lacking. Tesla has done a great job with their network....and this still happened. In remote areas they still have a single point of failure / crowding issues to be overcome.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:24 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:26 pm

Hey look man home charging is great, and I agree things are pretty good in USA for 1 car of a 2 car house to be electric. But the infrastructure for road trips is lacking. Tesla has done a great job with their network....and this still happened. In remote areas they still have a single point of failure / crowding issues to be overcome.
That point I will completely agree with you on. I will absolutely not road trip any ev car other than a Tesla or something that has full access to a Tesla network.

I will also never understand an apartment dweller that drives teslas/evs.

There are certainly use cases. But just like with any other vehicle. I.e attempting to park a F350 dually in SF vs Wyoming.

I hate that EVs turned political. There is a great use case for those cars and no they won’t save the planet and no they won’t leave you stranded in 35F weather after 5 miles. Both sides became quite polarized on the extreme ends on the use cases
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

New 4runner looks hot. I'm sure the TurdPro will be like $80k.

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:27 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:24 am

That point I will completely agree with you on. I will absolutely not road trip any ev car other than a Tesla or something that has full access to a Tesla network.

I will also never understand an apartment dweller that drives teslas/evs.

There are certainly use cases. But just like with any other vehicle. I.e attempting to park a F350 dually in SF vs Wyoming.

I hate that EVs turned political. There is a great use case for those cars and no they won’t save the planet and no they won’t leave you stranded in 35F weather after 5 miles. Both sides became quite polarized on the extreme ends on the use cases
Yup, I agree man. But unfortunately the politicians are trying to dictate what can be produced and purchased.... so its their fault for making it political lol.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:51 am New 4runner looks hot. I'm sure the TurdPro will be like $80k.

4/7. Only thing that looks off to me is where the front bumper meets the fenders.. that little bulge in front on each side is a little awkward.. she’s got some chubby little cheeks lol.
max225

I have a lot To say about this but don’t have time this am… gonna rant later. But it also looks like a knock off Honda pilot from the sides